Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It might be time for Mike Tomlin to move on. Not because He's a bad coach but the younger players are tuning him out. Since they are going to start overr at qb, why not start over. Mike can coach a new team like the Vikings or Bears. 

I mean, but why?  I'd argue Tomlin is a top 5 coach over the last decade +.  He's never had a losing season.  If you're going to have to re-build, why take a chance in getting a boob when you already have a proven commodity?  (And for what it's worth, I LOVED his response to Claypool about fun practices: "Claypool plays wideout, and I’ll let him do that, I’ll formulate the practice approach. And I think that division of labor is probably appropriate.”

The Pats had to start over at QB after Brady left, Bill didn't go anywhere, and look at them 1 year later...

Though, if Tomlin becomes available, there will be teams willing to fire their HC in order to go after him.  He's that respected and that good.  At this point, that list might include just him, Reid and Belichick. Carrol might have been on it in the past, but not anymore.  I guess probably Sean Payton would be another guy.  But there aren't that many.  (I would have fired Jay and helped him pack his house in order to get Sean McVay after 2016.  But honestly, I don't think he's on the list right now either.  Nor Kyle, or LaFleur.  Though all three might get onto that list after a few more years.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, but why?  I'd argue Tomlin is a top 5 coach over the last decade +.  He's never had a losing season.  If you're going to have to re-build, why take a chance in getting a boob when you already have a proven commodity?  (And for what it's worth, I LOVED his response to Claypool about fun practices: "Claypool plays wideout, and I’ll let him do that, I’ll formulate the practice approach. And I think that division of labor is probably appropriate.”

The Pats had to start over at QB after Brady left, Bill didn't go anywhere, and look at them 1 year later...

Though, if Tomlin becomes available, there will be teams willing to fire their HC in order to go after him.  He's that respected and that good.  At this point, that list might include just him, Reid and Belichick. Carrol might have been on it in the past, but not anymore.  I guess probably Sean Payton would be another guy.  But there aren't that many.  (I would have fired Jay and helped him pack his house in order to get Sean McVay after 2016.  But honestly, I don't think he's on the list right now either.  Nor Kyle, or LaFleur.  Though all three might get onto that list after a few more years.  

Kyle is a question mark. The may make the playoffs but next year they start over with Lance. 

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

https://apple.news/AzrMKpKPxQIa4KIIdCVJFhQ

Meyer kicked the kicker.  What a piece of ****.

You can't treat or talk to a grown man in that manner.

How blows have not been thrown (by anyone other than Meyer) up to this point is beyond me.

I knew it was bad but... his employment should have ended day and date. Player union should have came down with helfire... Something needed to happen.

I was seriously joking when I commented about seeing Urban brawling with one of his players one of these days but dang... it was kinda warranted.

You knew it was bad when a coach gets fired midweek, 4 days before next game.

The Meyer flameout and the struggles Matt Ruhle is having in Carolina; probably puts the kybosh on college coach being hired in the nfl. College coaches just have a poor track record in the nfl. Besides Jimmy Johnson, has there really been a successful college coach?

Pete Carroll doesn’t count because he had 2 nfl head coaching jobs before USC.

Edited by Rdskns2000

4 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

You knew it was bad when a coach gets fired midweek, 4 days before next game.

The Meyer flameout and the struggles Matt Ruhle is having in Carolina; probably puts the kybosh on college coach being hired in the nfl. College coaches just have a poor track record in the nfl. Besides Jimmy Johnson, has there really been a successful college coach?

Pete Carroll doesn’t count because he had 2 nfl head coaching jobs before USC.

Does Kliff Kingsbury count?

College coaches making it work is rare, but I don't think it's impossible to do. I think that there simply isn't a surefire way to get the perfect head coach. A good coordinator can be a good HC or a dud. A good college coach an be a good HC or a dud.

52 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Does Kliff Kingsbury count?

College coaches making it work is rare, but I don't think it's impossible to do. I think that there simply isn't a surefire way to get the perfect head coach. A good coordinator can be a good HC or a dud. A good college coach an be a good HC or a dud.

Too soon for him. This is his first playoff year. 

Edited by Rdskns2000

7 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

You can't treat or talk to a grown man in that manner.

How blows have not been thrown (by anyone other than Meyer) up to this point is beyond me.

I knew it was bad but... his employment should have ended day and date. Player union should have came down with helfire... Something needed to happen.

I was seriously joking when I commented about seeing Urban brawling with one of his players one of these days but dang... it was kinda warranted.

I’m willing to bet that when the union caught wind of this, they contacted the Jaguars. 

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Too soon for him. This is his first playoff year. 

Yeah, but it’s also his third season with the cardinals, and they’ve improved their record all 3 years, haven’t they? 

2019: 5-10-1

2020: 8-8

2021 (so far) : 10-3

Edited by Cooleyfan1993