Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

For some reason, it feels like like Cowher has been out longer.  He has been out longer than Gibbs. Vermeil was out 15 years.  

It's not common.  It took Gibbs a year to really figure things out.  It took Vermeil 2 years.  His team was on the verge of mutiny in 1998 before he turned things around and then they went on to have "the greatest show on turf"

Jets are going to be 0-16 most likely.  He will have time to turn it around.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:44 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

McCarthy won't get fired. Jerruh isn't gonna pay him all that money to not coach and he has an excuse with the Dak injury(on top of all the others).

I'm not sure what to make of Taylor. The Bengals aren't exactly loaded with talent and with Burrow out it looks like they've given up but he was pretty unqualified even when they hired him.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:51 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

NFL's best and worst potential head-coaching openings: Where do the Eagles, Jets and Chargers rank?   

I bet you Mark Davis regrets giving John Gruden a 10 year contract.  For the second year in a row, the Raiders have faded down the stretch.    

Eh I think Mark's getting what he wanted out of the Gruden.  Gruden's the face of the franchise and not him, and who wants to look Mark's face anyway.  The Raider's will be a 7-9 win team with Gruden which keeps Raider Nation thinking "we're close" and keeps them interesting.  

• 2 weeks later...

Black Monday 

Houston- 

Detroit- 

Atlanta- 

Well, I expect more firings Sunday evening into Black Monday.   Who else gets chopped?

New York Jets- Adam Gase should be gone by Sunday night.

Jacksonville- Doug Marone will be gone by Monday.

Denver- Has already said Vic Fangio is coming back.

San Diego-  Will the late season winning, save Anthony Lynn's job?  He should be fired, stayed tuned.

Philadelphia- Will Lurie make a change? Stay tuned.

Dallas- Already said Mike Mccarthy is coming back and his late seasoning winning is helping.

I will say that for 2021, Denver's Vic Fangio joins Minnesota's Mike Zimmer and Cincinnati's Zac Taylor as coaches on the hot seat.

Chicago's Matt Nagy has saved his job with the Bears on the verge of a playoff birth.  

So, there should be at least 5 openings but that could be as high as 7. 

Edited by Rdskns2000

I kind of feel bad for Lynn. He gets an absolutely awesome rookie QB to play because a trainer botched an injection, and then he proceeds to absolutely squander it in heartbreaking fashion. He's like the Jay Gruden of the west coast, except instead of little slips of mediocrity, it was massive slips of pure ineptitude.

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Will Philly can Doug Pederson? 

I thank him for what he did last night, but yeah I would fire him.  Strange to say about a HC who won a SB just 3 years ago, but it's made him arrogant.  Should have known when he wrote a book after winning the SB.  You should at least win a couple before doing a book.  Or maybe he can write his next book "STUPID How I lost my team and got fired for playing Nate Sudfeld in the 4th Quarter of a close game because he's been with the team for a few years and I wanted to get him some reps"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, drowland said:

I thank him for what he did last night, but yeah I would fire him.  Strange to say about a HC who won a SB just 3 years ago, but it's made him arrogant.  Should have known when he wrote a book after winning the SB.  You should at least win a couple before doing a book.  Or maybe he can write his next book "STUPID How I lost my team and got fired for playing Nate Sudfeld in the 4th Quarter of a close game because he's been with the team for a few years and I wanted to get him some reps"

Apparently, he meets with Lurie tomorrow. Does he stay or not, hmmm.

21 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Will Philly can Doug Pederson? 

There's the very real possibility he may have lost the locker room with the Nate decision. I'm sure that's not lost on Lurie. Doug will likely stay, the Super Bowl win gets him some time. However, he's got some locker room healing to work on during the offseason.