Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

5 hours ago, Ball Security said:

This guy in Denver hasn’t won a game and gave up a 70 spot.

If his name wasn't Sean Payton and if the Broncos didn't just fire a coach after one year I think he'd be fired.

At the very least you have to fire the Defensive Coordinator. I mean come on, 70 POINTS!!? You're an NFL team. This isn't Alabama vs. North Dakota St. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, justice98 said:

Not hearing too mucb about what a great head coach Brian Daboll is this year.  lol

Unless the entire season goes sideways and the team revolts on Dabol, he’s going to be safe.  

Belichick - might retire.  

Saleh (Jets) - might be gone but I hope he gets another shot somewhere else.  He got saddled with Wilson and then Rodgers got hurt immediately. 

Payton (Broncos) -probably being paid too much money to be 1 and done.  But man. Yeesh. 

McDaniels (Raiders) - doesn’t look good for him.  

Enerfluse (Bears) - he might get another shot next year with a new QB.  Or … they might clean house and start with a new coach and a new QB.

Reich (Panthers) - he will get at least a couple years to work with a rookie QB. 

Carroll (Seahawks) - He’s got to retire eventually, right?

Ron is going to be an interesting follow.  

Staley in LA, especially if they miss playoffs or are defeated in wild card round.

Mcvay has been flirting with retiring last 2 years, if Rams don’t make playoffs; he may head to TV.

Allen in New Orleans if Saints miss playoffs.

Bowles in Tampa, if they miss playoffs after 3-1 start.

Smith in Atlanta unless soon to be starter, Taylor Heinicke can’t save him.

If McCarthy doesn’t have Dallas in the nfc championship game at least; say hello to Dan Quinn.

Rodgers will pick the next Jets coach or have a strong say in who they pick. 

I think while publicly, Bill will be allowed to retire; In reality, it will be a firing. 

Agreed, and he should've never been hired in the first place. The Bears need to clean house. There's no point in getting rid of Eberflus if you're gonna keep Pace. They're both terrible. But if that squad beats us (as dysfunctional, poorly coached and poorly managed as they are)........RR will have some questions to answer.

On 10/3/2023 at 8:49 PM, Warhead36 said:

My prediction is the first coach gets fired this Friday. After we rout the Bears, Eberflus will get axed. That gives the new coach an extra few days to do things his way.

Or...

More likely to be River Boat. More like Pool Float. The dude has been on vacation for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

First blood. Only thing to find surprising about it would be how early it is in the season, but even that isn't much of a surprise. My question is where he goes if Belichick is gone from the Patriots after this season. Can McDaniels still succeed at OC without him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Mark realized his mistake. Thought Ron would be the first coach fired.

Coaching Openings

Raiders- 

We should trade Ron to the Raiders.

Ron Rivera: "I can be traded?".

Me: Yes, Ron. Time to go, we can evaluate it on the plane.

On 11/1/2023 at 2:52 PM, Dan T. said:

How McDaniels got canned is wild:

The two of them in better days:

CSRPMC7F3RS3JBTPDDGDKQICX4.jpg

I'm here to be the downer. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/josh-mcdaniels-fortune-cookie-firing/10d5b58976f7040c2c6efd61

Yes, the Raiders did fire head coach Josh McDaniels just eight games into his second season with the team on Tuesday.

No, the message was not delivered to him via a fortune cookie. That rumor stemmed from a viral tweet sent out by Barstool Sports' PFT Commenter — a.k.a. Eric Sollenberger — on Wednesday.

• Haha 2

USA Today: NFL hot seat rankings: Which coaches could be fired after Raiders dropped Josh McDaniels? 

>>>>

The NFL almost made it to the midseason point without a coach being fired.

On Tuesday night, that tranquility ended, as the Las Vegas Raiders dismissed Josh McDaniels and general manager Dave Ziegler just 21 months after hiring the duo. And while the Raiders are still left to sort out several issues related to the moves − while linebackers coach Antonio Pierce was announced as the interim head coach, it was not immediately clear who would take over McDaniels' role as offensive play-caller − much of the buzz around the league will turn to which coach could be the next to be sent packing.

But other teams might not be as quick to jettison their on-field leader as the Raiders were. Booting a coach around midseason is a drastic measure taken only by organizations willing to concede that the season at hand likely can't be salvaged. If the NFL trade deadline and its relative lack of sellers were any indication, few teams seem prepared to follow that route.<<<

Click above link for full article.

2 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Question here, a bit off topic so forgive me: I know most interim coaches don't usually get the HC gig, but do other teams look at what that interim HC did and evaluate them on it or is it seen as just garbage time? 

Someone would need to research that.  There have been plenty of cases where an interim coach got the permanent gig. Usually only lasts 2-3 years, though Art Shell had a good run and Jason Garrett had a long run.  I don’t know if an interim coach was able to parlay that into a head coaching gig with another team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I don’t know if an interim coach was able to parlay that into a head coaching gig with another team.

Pat Shurmur was an interim head coach for the Eagles when they fired Chip Kelly, and he subsequently got the job with the Giants. It wasn't immediately however. It was a couple years later.

• Like 1