Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

Tomorrow is Black Monday. One final look at potential remaining openings before the remaining firings/potential retirements/potential partings begin, maybe as soon as tonight:

Looking at the AFC coaching and G.M. hot spots for 2023

Which NFC coaching, G.M. jobs may open up in 2023?

AFC East

Pats- After the season is done, Kraft is going to want some changes, especially with offensive staff. Will Bill be open or could there be a parting? Keep an eye here.

Dolphins- Ross wanted Peyton and Brady last year. Well does he make Mcdaniels one and done if he can get Sean and Tom this year? Keep an eye here.

Afc North

Browns- Haslem likes to changes coaches like Dan used to do.  Does he feel Stefanski is the guy for Watson or not?  Keep an eye here.

Afc South

Colts- Saturday isn't getting the permanent gig.

Titans- They fired they gm. Does the owner want a fresh start all the way, with a new coach also as Titans miss playoffs.  Keep an eye here.

Texans- Lovie will be the 2nd one and done coach.  With all those draft picks, they will pick a young guy to rebuild with.

AFC West

Broncos- The interim coach isn't getting the gig.  Whoever they hire, will try to revive Wilson.

NFC West   

Seahawks- Wouldn't shock if there's a surprise Carroll retirement but he has picks to get his next QB, if he doesn't want to resign Geno.

Rams- Mcvay flirted with leaving last year. He's likely to retire and go into TV for a while.

Cards- Despite a contract extention, Kliff needs to go if Cards are to do anything.

NFC South

Panthers- Wilks likely doesn't get permanent gig but he should be considered elsewhere.

Falcons- Smith likely gets one more year to prove himself, but you never know.

Bucs- IF Tom doesn't resign if he doesn't retire; do Bucs move on after just one year from Bowles. Keep an eye here.

Saints- Dennis Allen was a major disappointment.  MAybe the Saints make a change to get someone better.

NFC North

No changes expected here.

NFC East

Dallas- If Mccarthy doesn't go deep into playoffs, he's gone.  Jerry can try Sean Payton or promote Dan Quinn or Kellen Moore.

Washington- If it wasn't for the ownership in limbo; Ron would've been fired tomorrrow.  We are stuck with him for another though maybe the new owner doesn't want him, even with a late approval.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

39 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Kliff Kingsburry and the GM out in Arizona.

KK should've never been hired in the first place. Maybe he'll go back to college ball and actually amass, I don't know, a WINNING RECORD, before some dumb ass GM passes over quality candidates and conducts sham interviews in order to hire the flavor of the month, sponsored by ESPN.

That wanna-be GM is now black-listed. I hope he saved his money.

14 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

KK should've never been hired in the first place. Maybe he'll go back to college ball and actually amass, I don't know, a WINNING RECORD, before some dumb *** GM passes over quality candidates and conducts sham interviews in order to hire the flavor of the month, sponsored by ESPN.

That wanna-be GM is now black-listed. I hope he saved his money.

Wait what GM is that? Steve Keim?

On 1/9/2023 at 1:48 PM, Warhead36 said:

Yeah Kingsbury is awful. How do you have a talent like Kyler Murray and eff it up so bad?

If I recall correctly, there were serious questions about Murray's commitment to playing football.  That would likely go into his efforts to prepare for the games.  He's not really that great, may have had a great rookie year, but really plateaued in my opinion.  

Jim Caldwell getting the usual round of sham interviews. It's a real pity, because the man can flat out coach. If you make him Associate HC/Sr. Offensive Assistant or something like that and allow him to work with a young OC, it could be lights out. I'd love to have him on our staff.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 1:48 PM, Warhead36 said:

Yeah Kingsbury is awful. How do you have a talent like Kyler Murray and eff it up so bad?

Murray is great at backyard football bull****. He's undersized and undisciplined. We would kill to have the offensive production that Kingsbury offenses have created. Before Kyler inevitably gets hurt of course. Two years ago they were 13th in scoring and 6th in yards. Last year they were 11th in scoring and 8th in yards. This year they fell apart. I'm not saying Kingsburry is HC material but his offense is sound.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:44 PM, TradeTheBeal! said:

Is Kyler Murray really all that talented?

He has talent up the wazoo, just doesn't have the size or right mentality.

So, I asked this question on a football fb post, regarding Sean Payton and why teams can’t contact him until the 17th, and some **** stick decided to message me (which I didn’t see until today), saying “dude you’re an idiot. Don’t comment on Facebook if you don’t know what you’re talking about. The reason why Sean Payton needs permission, is he is still under contract with the Saints. Any team that signs  him  will have to give up draft picks to the saints”

anyone here wanna give me an APPROPRIATE answer, one that mr ****nuts is apparently unstable enough to give? 

(my question is why do teams have to wait until the 17th)

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So, I asked this question on a football fb post, regarding Sean Payton and why teams can’t contact him until the 17th, and some **** stick decided to message me (which I didn’t see until today), saying “dude you’re an idiot. Don’t comment on Facebook if you don’t know what you’re talking about. The reason why Sean Payton needs permission, is he is still under contract with the Saints. Any team that signs  him  will have to give up draft picks to the saints”

anyone here wanna give me an APPROPRIATE answer, one that mr ****nuts is apparently unstable enough to give? 

(my question is why do teams have to wait until the 17th)

I think the nfl says you can’t interview someone on another team until Jan. 17, which would be after wild card weekend. Sean Payton is considered a Saints employee; so he has to abided by this rule.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I think the nfl says you can’t interview someone on another team until Jan. 17, which would be after wild card weekend. Sean Payton is considered a Saints employee; so he has to abided by this rule.

Oh, that explains it. Thanks! For both answering and for not calling me a total idiot like mr ****nuts 😂

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Oh, that explains it. Thanks! For both answering and for not calling me a total idiot like mr ****nuts 😂

Actually, I was thinking of calling u something but passed.  An addition to

my comment that I read today in USA Today. Apparently you can only do phone/zoom interviews only with people on other teams. In person interviews can happen after Jan. 17

• Sad 1

Pursuit of Sean Payton could reveal much about NFL's diversity efforts | Opinion 

That article I linked above, mentioned this:

>>>

• In-person interviews of candidates employed by other NFL teams can’t be conducted until the wild-card round of the playoffs are completed (In Payton’s case, he’s still under contract with the Saints, preventing him from interviewing in person until Tuesday). Video conference interviews don’t satisfy Rooney Rule requirements.<<<

Ranking NFL's five* open head coaching jobs from best to worst after Cardinals fire Kliff Kingsbury