Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

The only thing left is the Vikings making the hiring of Kevin O’Connell official.

Though there might be one more opening; Rams coach Sean Mcvay may retire from coaching and maybe move to TV.

Well, if he’s leaving; he needs to do it soon.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

I very much doubt the retirement of Sean McVay and Aaron Donald. Donald is slightly more believable, he'll be 31 next season, he's at a position with heavy wear and tear. Even so, I think he's got at least one more contract in front of him.

McVay doesn't have wear and tear at all. When contracts start cutting into team funds (I'm assuming it's not this season, might be wrong), MAYBE I can see it happening then, but no way a young coach with his whole life in front of him is going to call it quits. No health problems that we know of, a team and city that loves him (I think the LA having no fanbase joke is overplayed), and a stacked team for at least a few more seasons... No way he throws that away.

• 88Comrade2000 changed the title to The Coaching Thread - Race to Black Monday 2023: 1/??/2023
On 2/16/2022 at 2:36 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

O’Connell and Kirk making their return to FedExField next season? That has TNF written all over it, doesn’t it. 

It jus hit me that that's the same Kevin O'Connell that Rivera replaced with Norv's son.

So, if my math is correct, and anyone can correct me on this, that means there are now four former Washington assistant offensive coaches (three of them former OCs for us) that are now head coaches in the NFL.

Three of whom already have more playoff wins then Washington has in the last 20 years. 😐

314130436_200(1).gif.86fa4cd9ce1eedf22138a876f92257b2.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Me too.

Does Tom ask to go elsewhere?

Why would he?  Only thing that changed is the head coach in name.  Byron is still OC, so no changes to their offensive approach.  Bowles will still have whomever is the new DC run his defensive scheme.  Brady gets to still do what he wants in the offense.

• 5 months later...
On 9/4/2022 at 12:43 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Coaching Hot Seat 

Going into 22 season, there’s only 1 coach on the hot seat- Mike McCarthy.

I do think Brandon Staley could get the boot if Chargers don’t make the playoffs? Why, because Sean Payton is out there.

At least right now; the coaching position is stable.

I don’t think McCarthy is the only one. I think Kingsbury could be in trouble if the Cardinals go 8-9 or worse. A bad year for the Browns could spell the end for Stefanski. Rule could easily be vulnerable if the Panthers remain below .500. Would Reich survive another season where the Colts finish out of the playoffs?

9 hours ago, Franklin60 said:

I don’t think McCarthy is the only one. I think Kingsbury could be in trouble if the Cardinals go 8-9 or worse. A bad year for the Browns could spell the end for Stefanski. Rule could easily be vulnerable if the Panthers remain below .500. Would Reich survive another season where the Colts finish out of the playoffs?

Good points but Cards gave Kingsbury an extension; they aren't eating that.   Everyone expects the Browns to be bad this year. Rule definitely,  if the Panthers don't make the playoffs. I think at least for week 1, He's safe. Baker gives hikm a chance to keep his job.  Reich may not survive .

I just think the season has to play out for others seat to get hot. Mike could get fired on Monday; if Dallas has a bad game. That's how hot his seat is.

2 hours ago, Franklin60 said:

I forgot to add that Pete Carroll could easily be coaching his last season. He may not be fired, but he could easily be forced to retire like Coughlin was with the Giants. 

I noted he could retire; especially if Seattle has a top 5 pick. Think ownership will want a new coach to develop the qb they draft in 23.