Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Well McCarthy should get the ax, if Dallas loses tonight.

people keep saying McCarthy should get fired. He’s got one of the best records since he’s been there. McCarthy gets fired, while Rivera is constantly stacking up losing seasons keeps his job? 

36 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

people keep saying McCarthy should get fired. He’s got one of the best records since he’s been there. McCarthy gets fired, while Rivera is constantly stacking up losing seasons keeps his job? 

McCarthy has had a stacked team with QB1 there since day 1. Rivera had to duct tape together a roster with no QB1 since 3 years before he joined. Washington isn't a direct comparison for where his expectations should be at. It isn't even the floor. Washington is what the basement of Dallas' expectations should look like.

Edited by NickyJ

34 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

McCarthy has had a stacked team with QB1 there since day 1. Rivera had to duct tape together a roster with no QB1 since 3 years before he joined. Washington isn't a direct comparison for where his expectations should be at. It isn't even the floor. Washington is what the basement of Dallas' expectations should look like.

Rivera has been running the show for 3 years and he has yet to have a winning season. He’s buying the groceries and cooking the meal. We have talent, but it hasn’t resulted in a lot of winning. Rivera has to own that. 

Dallas’ issue is that they just can’t win in the postseason. And Dallas hasn’t always been that stacked. The had an all time bad defense a few years ago and they hired Dan Quinn and it changed over night. On offense, they have a better QB, but other than that, are they really that much, if any, more talented than Washington? 

Edited by No Nonsense

9 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Rivera has been running the show for 3 years and he has yet to have a winning season. He’s buying the groceries and cooking the meal. We have talent, but it hasn’t resulted in a lot of winning. Rivera has to own that. 

Dallas’ issue is that they just can’t win in the postseason. And Dallas hasn’t always been that stacked. The had an all time bad defense a few years ago and they hired Dan Quinn and it changed over night. On offense, they have a better QB, but other than that, are they really that much, if any, more talented than Washington? 

Yes, they have. They've wiped the floor with us many times because of it. Dak is an extremely big "other than that" compared to our team's frankenstein QB problems. Dallas has been getting to the playoffs consistently for years, and Dak isn't getting any younger. If McCarthy can't do it, they'll try to find someone else who will.

Edited by NickyJ

On 1/15/2023 at 12:20 AM, Ball Security said:

Yeah, Payton to LA.

People seem to forget Peyton went 7-9 three years in a row with peak Drew Brees.  

The won a SB in 2009, and really not much after that of significant consequence.

Granted, they should have gone to the SB the Rams lost to the Patriots.  They got jobbed on one of the worst calls in the history of the NFL. 

He’s a good coach.  He’s better than a lot of guys coaching.  But he has his flaws and disappointments.

I think we are done with head coaching changes this year; so an early look at the 2023 Hot Seat:

1. Commanders: Ron Rivera- New owner at some point this offseason, doesn’t bode well for Ron’s long term future. He’s the first coach likely to be fired. A slow start like usual, he’s fired in October.

2. Chargers: Brandon Staley- Needs to win a playoff game.  He can’t fire more coaches this time. He fails, he’s getting the ax.

3. Titans: Mike Vrabel- If they fail again, new gm likely wants his own coach.

4. Saints: Dennis Allen- can’t survive a second non playoff season.

5. Falcons: Arthur Smith needs to show vast improvement .

6. Bucs: Todd Bowles- He’s molding a staff more to his liking. He needs to be better in 23.

7. Raiders: Josh McDamiels- another poor season and Davis moves on.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 6:48 PM, 88Comrade2000 said:

I think we are done with head coaching changes this year; so an early look at the 2023 Hot Seat:

1. Commanders: Ron Rivera- New owner at some point this offseason, doesn’t bode well for Ron’s long term future. He’s the first coach likely to be fired. A slow start like usual, he’s fired in October.

2. Chargers: Brandon Staley- Needs to win a playoff game.  He can’t fire more coaches this time. He fails, he’s getting the ax.

3. Titans: Mike Vrabel- If they fail again, new gm likely wants his own coach.

4. Saints: Dennis Allen- can’t survive a second non playoff season.

5. Falcons: Arthur Smith needs to show vast improvement .

6. Bucs: Todd Bowles- He’s molding a staff more to his liking. He needs to be better in 23.

7. Raiders: Josh McDamiels- another poor season and Davis moves on.

What would be the point of firing Rivera mid season, even if they do start off something like 2-5?  Other than it fills your lust to fire him. If anything, he’s shown he can keep his teams close to playoff contention into December.  With a new owner, we’ll see better attendance which will be propped up by playing meaningful games through the end or near end of the season.  The only way I could see Rivera back in 2024 is if we make a very deep playoff run in 2023, so I am expected a new slate with FO and coaching for 2024.  But I don’t see any upside to firing Rivera in mid 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

What would be the point of firing Rivera mid season, even if they do start off something like 2-5?  Other than it fills your lust to fire him. If anything, he’s shown he can keep his teams close to playoff contention into December.  With a new owner, we’ll see better attendance which will be propped up by playing meaningful games through the end or near end of the season.  The only way I could see Rivera back in 2024 is if we make a very deep playoff run in 2023, so I am expected a new slate with FO and coaching for 2024.  But I don’t see any upside to firing Rivera in mid 2023.

Maybe the new owner will want a high draft pick instead of 15-20 from Rivera keeping it medium by going 7-10 or 8-9. I really don't see the upside in doing that for the 4th year in a row. 

I know Sean Payton is interviewing for the  5 openings but would he be better off in waiting a year? No gaurantee better jobs will be available in Jan. 24 but are any of these jobs great?

Denver- Stuck with a qb for at least a year , that might be finished. Rich owners though.

Carolina- Rich owner but no qb and they have to move up a little to get the qb.

Arizona- so so owner but has a head case at qb

Indy- mediocre Gm, short tempered owner. But Indy will do what it takes to get next qb and has the ammo.

Houston- has picks but has a bad owner

Also, it will cost at least round pick to land him; so it makes it harder for a qb.

I think it might be better to gamble with next year’s openings.