Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

• 88Comrade2000 changed the title to The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/8/24

The hot seat

Raiders- Fired McDaniels and have interim coach, Antonio Pierce.

Commanders- Ron's dead man walking.  Only question, does Harris pull the plug during the season or wait until 1/8.

Giants- have a recent history of giving coaches only 2 years.  Will they give Daboll the boot already?  Given their recent history, it wouldn't be shocking.

Cowboys- If the Boys don't make the championship game at least, Jerry will move on.

Bears- It's time for a complete reboot. New gm, coach and QB.  They have 2 high #1 picks to land a qb and another blue chip player.

Saints- If they miss the playoffs, they move on from Allen.

Bucs- Same as Saints. If they miss playoffs, they move on Bowles.

Falcons- Same as Bucs and Saints. If they miss playoffs, they move on from Smith.

Panthers- Tepper is impatient. They are already regretting drafting Young. Reich could be one and done. Tepper may try to lure BB.

Rams- Mcvay has flirted with retirement last 2 years. Will he want to stay for a rebuild? Stafford can't stay healthy and is old.

Chargers- Staley probably needs to win a playoff game to return. Seems unlikely. Probably the top job that will be available.

Bills- Their window maybe closing. Think Bills will regret giving the coach an extension. Allen is regressing. Could they make a change?? 

Jets- Will Saleh be the coach next year, for what they hope is Aaron Rodgers comeback?  Or will they get a coach more suited to Aaron?

Pats- BB era is coming to the end, one way or another. He won't be the coach in 24.

Still 7 more weeks to go but I think the coaching turnover will be on the high side this year.  More than 5 and maybe as high as 10-11.  I don't think their will be any more in season firings. If their is, it will be because the owner wants to take a look at the interim coach or the coach has completely lost the team.  I can see some firings on Sunday: 1/7/23.

Click Bolded links for full articles.

CBS Sports: 2023 NFL hot seat rankings: Chargers' Brandon Staley among five head coaches who are feeling the heat

>>>

Halfway through the 2023 NFL season, there are a few head coaches who have really stood out. Dan Campbell has the Detroit Lions looking like contenders, first-year lead man DeMeco Ryans has the Houston Texans in position to go from worst to first in the AFC South and Kevin O'Connell has the Minnesota Vikings on the longest active win streak in the league, even with Kirk Cousins done for the year.

While some NFL head coaches are thriving, others are ... wilting. Those are the men we are going to discuss today. Below, we will break down the top five head coaches who are firmly on the hot seat. <<<

Pro Football Network: NFL Coaches on the Hot Seat: The Falcons Are Flailing, and Arthur Smith Is in Trouble

>>>>

NFL Coaches on the Hot Seat: The Falcons Are Flailing, and Arthur Smith Is in Trouble

Which NFL coaches are on the hot seat after Week 10? Falcons HC Arthur Smith might be on thin ice now that Atlanta is two games below .500.

November 13, 2023 | 2:00 PM EST

While Arthur Smith began his NFL head coaching career with back-to-back 7-10 campaigns, everything was supposed to come together for the Atlanta Falcons in 2023. Instead, close losses, poor quarterback play, and Smith’s questionable personnel decisions have highlighted Atlanta’s season.

The 4-6 Falcons might already be out of contention in any other division. But anything is possible in the woeful NFC South, where third-place Atlanta is just a game behind the division-leading New Orleans Saints.

Still, if the Falcons don’t turn things around, Smith will start facing questions about his job security. Is he on the hot seat after Week 10?<<<

PFF: NFL Head Coach Hot Seat: Examining Matt Eberflus, Bill Belichick and more

>>> 

Eight weeks remain in the 2023 NFL regular season, and yet, one head coach has already been fired, with Josh McDaniels leaving his post atop the Las Vegas Raiders two weeks ago.

With that, speculation is now mounting over who will be the next head coach to go, with bookies.com offering hypothetical odds for the five most likely coaches to be fired next.

Here, we’ll examine what has gone wrong for those five coaches and look for any path to righting the ship.<<<

On 11/16/2023 at 10:38 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Bears- It's time for a complete reboot. New gm, coach and QB.  They have 2 high #1 picks to land a qb and another blue chip player.

They just did this 2 years ago. 

Hired a really respected “hot” GM candidate and he hired the coach. 

Note: it doesn’t always work out the way you want it to going that way.  Somehow, though, the failed GM hires his coach situations fly under the radar. 

- Cowboys: Barring a collapse, I think MCarthy is safe.  Even if they just go 1-1 in the playoffs, I think he’ll survive.

- Jets: really tough to fire a coach who got stuck with Zach Wilson and has kept the team competitive. 

- Rams: I doubt McVay resigns. If he needs a change of scenery, I’d trade a mid-round pick for him, and pair him with a GM.  And yeah, I’d grab him first and worry about GM second.

- Pats: Bill will be somewhere, not the Pats. And not here.

- San Diego: some young hot shot OC will be brought in because Herbert is good.  

- Raiders is already open.  I have a sneaky suspicion this might be where Bill ends up.  Jimmy G. Is there.  Brady has some connections there.  And they’re a mess.  

- Saints: There’re going to win that division.  I don’t think they make a change.  

- Falcons: they’re not going to win their division and the coach thought it was a good idea to play Hallock.  We’re going to learn that’s a firable offense.  

I think when push comes to shove, the Bears, Bills, Jets, Giants Saints and Cowboys will all stay with what they’ve got.  Barring a complete and total debacle in the second half of the season.  

Commanders, Raiders, Chargers and Falcons will be looking for new coaches.   

On 11/19/2023 at 10:00 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

They just did this 2 years ago. 

Hired a really respected “hot” GM candidate and he hired the coach. 

Note: it doesn’t always work out the way you want it to going that way.  Somehow, though, the failed GM hires his coach situations fly under the radar. 

- Cowboys: Barring a collapse, I think MCarthy is safe.  Even if they just go 1-1 in the playoffs, I think he’ll survive.

- Jets: really tough to fire a coach who got stuck with Zach Wilson and has kept the team competitive. 

- Rams: I doubt McVay resigns. If he needs a change of scenery, I’d trade a mid-round pick for him, and pair him with a GM.  And yeah, I’d grab him first and worry about GM second.

- Pats: Bill will be somewhere, not the Pats. And not here.

- San Diego: some young hot shot OC will be brought in because Herbert is good.  

- Raiders is already open.  I have a sneaky suspicion this might be where Bill ends up.  Jimmy G. Is there.  Brady has some connections there.  And they’re a mess.  

- Saints: There’re going to win that division.  I don’t think they make a change.  

- Falcons: they’re not going to win their division and the coach thought it was a good idea to play Hallock.  We’re going to learn that’s a firable offense.  

I think when push comes to shove, the Bears, Bills, Jets, Giants Saints and Cowboys will all stay with what they’ve got.  Barring a complete and total debacle in the second half of the season.  

Commanders, Raiders, Chargers and Falcons will be looking for new coaches.   

I’d add Carolina to the list. And if it happens, I wouldn’t mind interviewing their DC. It would be his third team in three years, but both teams were held back by bad offenses.

For the Chargers, I could see them promoting Moore to HC. From what I’ve read it’s not similar to the Jay/McVay pairing.

• Like 1

Tepper is going to be as bad as early Synder.  Reich is likely done. The Gm could be done also.

Chicago having their #1 pick hurts.

Also, the buzz is the owner made them pick Young.

Panthers are a mess and having an impatient, interfering owner won’t help.

I still hold to the belief this cycle will be on the high side, as far as openings.

12 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Odds are strong the next firing happens after this weekends games.

Will it be us on Friday? The Jets on Saturday, as sone Jets reporters think. Maybe the Panthers, seeing Tepper be one and done with Reich? Or Brandon Staley of Chargers?

I don’t think the Jets reporters are right.  You never know but Saleh has done a remarkably good job after Rodgers went out just to keep the team in the mix.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

On 11/23/2023 at 1:55 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Odds are strong the next firing happens after this weekends games.

Will it be us on Friday? The Jets on Saturday, as sone Jets reporters think. Maybe the Panthers, seeing Tepper be one and done with Reich? Or Brandon Staley of Chargers?

I believe Saleh still had his job, no?

21 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

As expected, Frank Reich has been fired.

Openings

Raiders- Currently has interim coach Antonio Pierce. 

Panthers- After firing Reich, will have interim coach rest of season.

These are going to be bottom rung jobs. No one with options are going to want to work there.

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

These are going to be bottom rung jobs. No one with options are going to want to work there.

Mark Davis is an idiot but I can see him luring BB because he would be willing to give BB full control.  Probably, any retread wanting to coach is the next Raiders coach.

Dave Tepper won't get anyone with quality and will have to overpay.

NYPOST: Adam Schefter is expecting an NFL coaching bloodbath

See above link for full article.

>>>Frank Reich became the second coach to be fired this NFL season, but ESPN’s Adam Schefter expects that number to skyrocket before all is said and done. 

The NFL insider predicted during an appearance on “The Pat McAfee Show” on Monday that there could be anywhere between seven and 10 head coaches that lose their jobs this season.

Schefter explained that on average there are 6.8 head coaching changes per year.

Reich was fired as head coach of the Carolina Panthers on Monday.

Raiders fired head coach Josh McDaniels and general manager David Ziegler on Nov. 1<<<

I agree with Adam, the openings will be on the high side this year.

8 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I keep seeing (from all angles of the media) that with our current situation (draft position, picks, location, new owner, etc) that our team is THE top spot to land a gig as a HC/GM. I think and hope that we'll have our pick of the litter and everyone will be tripping over themselves to come here.

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

NYPOST: Adam Schefter is expecting an NFL coaching bloodbath

See above link for full article.

>>>Frank Reich became the second coach to be fired this NFL season, but ESPN’s Adam Schefter expects that number to skyrocket before all is said and done. 

The NFL insider predicted during an appearance on “The Pat McAfee Show” on Monday that there could be anywhere between seven and 10 head coaches that lose their jobs this season.

Schefter explained that on average there are 6.8 head coaching changes per year.

Reich was fired as head coach of the Carolina Panthers on Monday.

Raiders fired head coach Josh McDaniels and general manager David Ziegler on Nov. 1<<<

I agree with Adam, the openings will be on the high side this year.

I can see eight, but ten? I could easily be wrong, but a third of HCs fired in one year seems like an extraordinarily high number.

Definitely Open:

Washington Commanders - Will be open 45 seconds after the clock hits zero in the last game of the season

Carolina Panthers - Already open

Las Vegas - Already open

Almost certainly open:

San Diego Chargers - They have a top 10-ish QB and lose consistently. 

Probably Open:

New York Jets - Saleh is in a tough spot but he's mis-managed this QB situation so badly and now he's asking a player to play who doesn't want to play.  

One of these two will be open, one will be safe, depending on which team sucks less and wins the division:

Atlanta Falcons - Arthur Smith likes to play 1970's football.  They have QB problems which are so bad they tried a backup XFL QB before figuring out that wasn't the answer.  

New Orleans Saints - They went and got Carr and should be easily winning that division and they are not.  

Probably open but somewhat unfortunate:

Tampa Bay Bucs - Todd Bowles has a not very good team with a not very good QB and they aren't very good and there's not much he can do about it, but he will probably get fired anyway.  

** It's very possible that 3 of the 4 NFC South Teams have new head coaches, and the only one who survives is the division winner, and that team might not have a winning record.   The NFC South is BAD.  

People are speculating could be open but probably won't be:

New England Patriots - with the #2 pick, the Pats get a QB and Bill will probably want to be there for that. 

Chicago Bears - They just hired a GM who hired the coach and already had Fields.  They'll get a new QB and run it back with this group.

Bad Record but won't be open:

Arizona Cardinals - Mr. "who rode the bus" is getting them to play hard.  They are "plucky."  He stays. 

Tennessee Titans - Vrabel is a good coach with a bad team and everybody knows it.

NY Giants - Daboll is a good coach and has a bad team.  They made the wrong decision on Danny Dimes.  

If I had to guess right now, I'd say there will be 7 openings:

Washington Commanders

Carolina Panthers

Las Vegas Raiders

San Diego Chargers

NY Jets

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Bucs

I think New England and Chicago stand pat.  I don't think McVay "retires."  I don't think NY Giants fire Daboll. 

Of the 7 openings, there are going to be some new HC's who nobody is very familiar with, because there aren't 7 guys who immediately jump to the top of the list as being slam-dunk hires. I don't think any of the coaches who are fired will get another look right away.

The "hot names" I can think of are:

Ben Johnson - OC for Detroit Lions

Bobby Slowik - OC for the Texans

Frank Smith - OC for the Dolphins (though it's McDaniel's world and he's just living in it)

Dan Quinn - DC for the Cowboys (would be a "retread" option but probably deserves a second chance.)

My guess is the Raven's, 49ers and Eagle's success will get some of their coordinators interviews also.  

• Like 1