Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah Carroll leaving is a bit of a stunner. 

Well thought was he was going to retire last couple of years.  He was basically fired. Told he would no longer be coaching.  The advisor gig was just to save face but he was fired.

He has said his leaving wasn’t his choice.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

New England-

Seattle-

Tennessee-

Washington-

Atlanta-

LA Chargers-

Carolina-

Las Vegas-

8 openings so far.

If Bills, Eagles or even Bucs lose this weekend, that number could jump.

Murmurs Tomlin could walk away after Steelers are done.

Dallas will have an opening if they don’t make nfc championship game.

If Tomlin retires, that will be the last of the long tenured coaches to Gm.

Surely, a minority will get a couple of the current openings?

Edited by 88Comrade2000

Watch Dallas choke to the Packers and JJ going after Belichick.

Thinking that we have to root for them to win this weekend, unfortunately.

There's just no way anybody around here wants to see Belichick running that defense while also having all those offensive weapons. Nope. Keep McCarthy.

• Thanks 1

Belichick didn't exactly look excited to be leaving. Then Kraft saying that they mutually agreed that this needed to happen probably isn't even slightly the case. Belichick probably is pissed.

Would be funny if the Bills lose, fire the coach then replace him with Belichick. They did the same thing with Ryan about 10 years ago.

I'm just hoping for anything but Dallas.

29 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

There aren’t many teams where Bill would be successful.  Dallas, San Diego and Atlanta if he got a decent qb.

I'd say he'd really like to get the Bills job for the revenge factor.  With all these guys available now, imagine Belichick as HC, Josh McDaniels as OC, and Nick Saban as DC. Saban might get the itch again and he won't have to deal with the BS he doesn't want to if he joined Belichicks staff somewhere. 

The more I think about it, the more I've convinced myself that Belichick goes to the Chargers and Vrabel goes to New England. My only mystery: Josh McDaniels. Go to New England and rebuild the dynasty, or go to Chargers with a plug and play QB.

Chargers + Belichick + McDaniels would be the national attention that the Chargers can only dream of. I think it would also mean putting off any rebuilds for the next couple years.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

Josh McDaniels? Lol he's not getting another HC job. 

Yeah, I don't think so either. Which is why I think he'd have to choose between being Belichick's OC in LA or Vrabel's OC in New England. iirc, he hasn't been an OC for anyone but Belichick and Brady, so I think taking him as an OC is a risk in itself that other HCs would be wary of.

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Yeah, I don't think so either. Which is why I think he'd have to choose between being Belichick's OC in LA or Vrabel's OC in New England. iirc, he hasn't been an OC for anyone but Belichick and Brady, so I think taking him as an OC is a risk in itself that other HCs would be wary of.

Ok I totally misread your post, my bad. 

If I had been asked to bet on who the next Patriots head coach would be, I'd have bet more money on Belichick coming back than on Mayo. I'm curious whether he'll be more of an Antonio Pierce than a Jim Tomsula.

44 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If I had been asked to bet on who the next Patriots head coach would be, I'd have bet more money on Belichick coming back than on Mayo. I'm curious whether he'll be more of an Antonio Pierce than a Jim Tomsula.

The murmurs about him being the successor have been out there.

This weekend’s playoff games might be the last for a coach or even 2, if they lose.

Currently, 7 of the 8 openings are still unfilled. I expect at least one more opening after this weekend.  After next weekend, you can finally have in person interviews. I think after next weekend you may see other openings start to fill unless their preferred candidate is coaching in the final 4.

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

This weekend’s playoff games might be the last for a coach or even 2, if they lose.

Currently, 7 of the 8 openings are still unfilled. I expect at least one more opening after this weekend.  After next weekend, you can finally have in person interviews. I think after next weekend you may see other openings start to fill unless their preferred candidate is coaching in the final 4.

There has been a lot of speculation that if the cowboys lose to the Packers in the wild card game, that Mike McCarthy with be fired as head coach. 

We'll see.

7 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

There has been a lot of speculation that if the cowboys lose to the Packers in the wild card game, that Mike McCarthy with be fired as head coach. 

We'll see.

McCarthy doesn’t reach championship game, he’s gone.

Eagles lose to Bucs, Sirianni could be gone.

Bills get upset by Steelers, McDermott could be gone.

Bucs could dump Bowles, even if they win a playoff game; thinking they could upgrade with Bellichek,Vrabel or Harbaugh.

Tomlin could pull a Peyton and take a year off before re-entering coaching market in 25.

One of those teams and maybe 2, will have an opening.

• Like 1

I don't think that Dallas opening is going to last long.  I'd be shocked if Jerrah is able to hold his water.  He can talk to and Hire Bill tomorrow.  I'd expect if Jerry decides to make a change, I almost anticipate a 2 part presser:  1. we Fired that idiot McCarthy.  2.  Bill is the new Head Coach.

• Haha 1