Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

16 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

I don’t think the Cowboys would be allowed to forego the Rooney Rule to hire Belichick right away. They’d still have to go through the process. 

Jerrah can get 2 Rooney Rule candidates in and interview them in the next 2 days, and even tell them the job is going to Bill when he brings them in.  Nobody would turn down the interview.  EB would bicycle there just to have the opportunity to interview for the 34th time.  

This won't take long.  IF Jerrah makes the change.  Which I think he will.  If he doesn't, he's going to display more patience than I ever thought possible.  

But his fans want a head on a pike.  And McCarthy's is a big head and he can offer it to them on a silver platter.  Otherwise they will go after Jerrah.  And Jerrah can't have that. No sir.  

54 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

I don’t think the Cowboys would be allowed to forego the Rooney Rule to hire Belichick right away.

Why not?  They already forego the off sides, false start, holding, and pass interference rules for Dallas.  One more foregone rule, more or less, won't make any difference, will it?

1 hour ago, Number 44 said:

Why not?  They already forego the off sides, false start, holding, and pass interference rules for Dallas.  One more foregone rule, more or less, won't make any difference, will it?

They're actually one of the most penalized teams in the league lolol

Is McVay leaving LA?

I hope Belichick goes to Dallas.  Found this gem of a statement about him. 

“Nostradamus, Bill Belichick was not — in this particular case. 

The longtime Patriots head coach, who mutually parted ways with the organization this week, apparently thought Tom Brady’s best days were behind him — before the legendary quarterback went on to win a Super Bowl with the Buccaneers. 

According to ESPN’s lengthy postmortem on the Belichick era in New England, which saw the team win six Super Bowls and nine AFC titles, the head coach apparently felt Brady’s play on the field was diminishing as early as the early 2010’s.

2 hours ago, PolarExpress said:

Is McVay leaving LA?

I hope Belichick goes to Dallas.  Found this gem of a statement about him. 

“Nostradamus, Bill Belichick was not — in this particular case. 

The longtime Patriots head coach, who mutually parted ways with the organization this week, apparently thought Tom Brady’s best days were behind him — before the legendary quarterback went on to win a Super Bowl with the Buccaneers. 

According to ESPN’s lengthy postmortem on the Belichick era in New England, which saw the team win six Super Bowls and nine AFC titles, the head coach apparently felt Brady’s play on the field was diminishing as early as the early 2010’s.

Tom is the reason they won in 14,16 & 18 and appeared in 17.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I’m sensing openings in Dallas and Philly.🤪

If Tomlin is going to retire, he needs to tell Pittsburgh now; so they can ramp up the search for his successor. 

I think you might be right about Dallas and Philly.  

Tomlin would be crazy to retire and then go to another team.  He’s never going to find another team as stable as the Steelers.  He’s probably completely worn out and really frustrated about a lot of things.  

He needs to spend 3 weeks in Bali and then come back and he’ll be fine for the next 17 years.  

12 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Jerry going to get same result.

Jerry probably too scared to have an opening, when there 7 other openings.

So, it’s up to Philly to have the last opening.

I’m homeless now because I bet my house that McCarthy would get fired after the GB loss based on your 736 posts about the subject.  Thanks a lot.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Cowboys are keeping McCarthy, Dak and Quinn if he doesn't get a HC gig. That leaves one scapegoat. Does Brian Schotty know he is getting canned yet?

He should, he's already been fired by like 15 teams. 

3 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Good for him. He deserves a shot.  I’d give him a 3 year deal.

I think later next week is when some of these openings fill, since you can do in person interviews starting Monday.

• Like 1

Pending the Philly meeting, looks like the opening this cycle is over

Early 25 Hot Seat

Next January will have more openings.

Dallas- Mike is in his final year. He’s not getting an extension unless Dallas is in championship game. 

Philly- Lurie will expect better results in 24, if Sirianni returns.

NY Giants- If Giants have another poor season he’s gone.

Chicago- If Eberflus doesn’t show some improvement with his likely QB Caleb Williams, Bears will find someone else to guide Caleb.

Tampa- They will expect Bowles to go further than he does this year.

New Orleans- They expect playoffs or goodbye Allen.

NY Jets- Saleh fails to secure a better backup in case Aaron doesn’t last all season and doesn’t make playoffs with Aaron; he’s not coming back in 25.

My guesses as of now:

New England- LB coach Jerod Mayo 

Las Vegas- Interim/LB coach- Antonio Pierce

Tennessee- Slowik

Washington- Johnson

Atlanta- Belichick

LA Chargers- Harbaugh

Carolina- Vrabel ** I really hope if Carolina gets stuck and they offer the job to Morris he turns it down.  

Seattle- Quinn

I still think Reich ends up as OC in Chicago.

Macdolald and Morris will be the two big names out there who will get stuck without a chair.