Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

I would agree with most of those, but I think Belichick is gone whether he wants to be or not. Over the last few years of Brady and through the current one, I think it has been shown that he let the cupboard grow bare. His WRs are mediocre, his TE is forgettable, his RB is washed up, and his defense just isn't the dominant force it used to be. It can be argued that a QB would help, but he had that QB with Brady, and Brady was propping up an empty offense. I think his roster building abilities are in doubt, and with a 2-10 record, I think now is when the roster rebuild needs to happen.

I disagree with both NE and Chicago.  I think they both make a change.

Eberflus has a poor record and if Bears want to win and develop the new qb, they likely draft; they move on from him.

BB and Kraft will reach an agreement where he parts ways with the Pats. Kraft isn’t going to want BB to develop a new qb; especially after the criminal thing he did to Mac Jones last year.

Still, Titans could surprise and move on from Vabrek or maybe he goes to NE to replace BB.

Also, if the Boys don’t make the NFC championship game at least; Jerry might move on from McCarthy. Dan Quinn or former OC Kellen Moore would be replacements. Or maybe Jerry gets BB?

So, 9 openings is what’s more likely than just 7 and still outside chance it could go to 11.

The surprise change would be if Buffalo or Pittsburgh made a change. 

Tomlin is a good coach, not ever having a losing season but after going 1-1 in Superbowls in his first 4 years ; he’s not gotten back. Also, 4 out of last 5 years he’s only won 8 or 9 games.

Maybe both Pittsburgh and him need a change?

Buffalo would be the other surprise. Bills likely to miss playoffs. The window with Allen is closing rapidly.  Do Bills try with someone else, despite giving McDermott an extension? 

• 2 weeks later...

The Chargers situation is appealing because of Herbert and Slater. Bosa to, I guess, but I don't love his attitude or his injury history and wonder if he's worth the cap hit. 

But there is a challenge with that job too. They are way over the cap and Slater needs an extension. Ekeler is a FA. A  lot of over priced vets and a few aging guys. 

some players I would get rid of. Trade if anyone is interested, release otherwise: 

Khalil Mack

Mike Williams

Sebastian Joseph-Day

Corey Linsley

Eric Kendricks

That'd get them under the cap, set up a lot of space for a year down the road. 

Extend Slater and Asante Samuel jr.

Explore trade market for Keenan Allen and Joey Bosa. 

It'd be a mini-rebuild, especially if those two were dealt, but have a chance to really set themselves up for a year or two down the road. 

But if they juts try to patch things, they could end up in mediocrity limo for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

Only 3 weeks left in the season. Already have 3 openings with Raiders, Chargers and Panthers.

Here’s teams that could also have openings. Now every team I list won’t have an opening but there’s a potential for one.

Pats- The BB era is coming to an end. How does it come about ? BB resigns? BB agrees to be traded somewhere ? BB gets fired?  I think it’s a 90% chance of a change.  I don’t think this will happen right away but a few days after Black Monday, there will be a parting.

Jets- Saleh isn’t a good coach and he and the Gm totally botched the backup qb situation . Having Rodgers there probably saves his job for 24. They will try again next year and pray Rodgers lasts the whole year. If Rodgers wasn’t there, he would be fired.  I say chances of change are less than 5%. If they change coaches, it will be whomever Rodgers wants.

Steelers- Tomlin is on track to finally have his first losing season. It’s probably time for him and the Steelers to part ways. I say it’s a 40% chance of happening.

Titans- I think unless Vrabel replaces BB in New England, he probably gets another year. 10% chance of change.

Bucs- No playoffs and Bowles is gone. It wouldn’t shock me if he got fired, even if they made the playoffs. 50% chance he’s gone.

Saints- Allen is in same boat, no playoffs and he’s gone. 60% chance he’s gone.

Falcons- Finishing the season with Taylor as qb. Falcons aren’t going to the playoffs. 60% chance Smith is gone.

Bears- Eberflus future depends on what they do at qb. If they decide to go with Fields, he probably can get one more year. If they decide to draft a qb with that #1 pick; Eberflus is gone.  I say it’s a 55% chance of change.

Commanders- 100% chance that Ron gets fired.

Cowboys- Boys won’t make it to the championship game and McCarthy will be gone. 70% chance of a change.

• 3 weeks later...

Current Openings

Carolina- 

Las Vegas- 

LA Chargers-

Probable Openings after tomorrow's games

Washington- Ron will be let go Monday.

Atlanta- I think Blank pulls the plug on Smith.

New England- BB & Bob are to meet on Monday.  I think they will part ways.  

Possible Openings this offseason

Dallas- If Dallas gets the 2nd seed, the expectation is for them to play in the NFC Championship game, either at San Francisco or if San Fran loses, hosting the Championship game.  If Dallas fails to get to the championship game, Jerry will fire Mccarthy.  Dan Quinn, Kellen Moore or even Bill Belichick are likely replacements.

Philadelphia- Is it all smoke about Sirianni?  Probably, but you never know.  If Philly has a surprise opening, it will be because Philly is one and done in the playoffs.

Chicago- Everything points to Eberflus coming back after all, given how Chicago has finished this year. Still, they may change their minds and move on.  

Tampa-  If Tampa fails to make playoffs, Bowles is gone.  Even if they make it but lose in wild card round, wouldn't shock me if Bowles is gone.

New Orleans- If they miss the playoffs, Allen is probably gone.

Seattle- This would be a surprise, if Carroll decided to retire.

Tennessee- Vrabel could be BB's successor in New England.  Titans may want to move on from him.

Steelers-  Despite dissatisfaction among fanbase with Tomlin, everything points to him getting an extension.  If Tomlin parts with Pittsburgh; it would be him asking Pittsburgh to let him go elsewhere.

Bills-  Seem to be on cusp of beating Miami tomorrow for divisional title and making noise in the playoffs.  If the Bills miss the playoffs altogether, despite a recent extension; could McDermott be let go?

Jets- Ownership has said Saleh is coming back but what if a better coach is available and Aaron is down with that coach, could a change of plans occur & Saleh gets the boot?

Will all those openings happen? No! I do think there will be at least 7 openings.  With those new rules, the process might be slower than the past.  For us, if we truly are leaning towards a Raven; it might be after the Superbowl before we can make our hire official.  Should be an interesting coaching offseason, especially if some of those unexpected teams do have openings.

Washington is next.

New Orleans is a maybe.

Patriots are a likely.

That might end up being it.  Unless Dallas loses before the championship game and Jerry has had it.  But we won’t know that for a few weeks. 

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’ve seen Penix mocked to them, but I’d imagine they go vet: Cousins, Wilson, Tannehill. Or maybe it’s the landing spot for Fields. Cant waste those weapons.

The just need to double down on Heiny Heiny.  He’s a HOF QB just waiting to be unleashed.

Assuming New England  opens up, that would reach my 7 openings number.

Does Chicago stick with mediocre Eberflus and QB Fields or go with Harbaugh, Vrabrek,Bellichek and QB Williams?

If the these teams lose this weekend, could there be openings in Dallas, Philly and Buffalo?

Once Steelers season is over, could Tomlin retire for a year and return in 25?

59 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

He fired a bunch of staff though. He better get a good oc because Caleb may refuse to play there,if Chicago trades Fields.

I think Eberflus will be fired after next season.

Pete Carroll said he’s not retiring.

• Like 1