Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.COM: Report: Snyder won't stop Shanahan from sitting RGIII

MassSkinsFan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000296215/article/report-snyder-wont-stop-shanahan-from-sitting-rgiii

Mike Shanahan raised eyebrows on Monday when he told reporters he was considering sitting Robert Griffin III for the rest of the season.

The Washington Redskins coach said Griffin had been taking too many sacks and reasoned that keeping the quarterback healthy was a priority ahead of the team's offseason program. Shanahan told reporters that he had discussed the option with Daniel Snyder, and according to a Tuesday report in The Washington Post, the owner won't stand in the way on the issue.

"He won't step in and interfere with that," per a person familiar with the situation who was speaking on the condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the topic. "He's not going to step into a personnel decision that way."

Click link for full article

So, what gives? Is the whole Shanny wanting to leave town thing a media invention or is it real? Damned if I know anymore...

This is really the only move Dan can make.  Whatever capital he's earned over the years to step in and take control has been spent three-fold.

This is actually a good move, everyone knows what is going on and Snyder can remain above the fray.  It's only 3 meaningless games at the end of a meaningless season. 

This is really the only move Dan can make.  Whatever capital he's earned over the years to step in and take control has been spent three-fold.

This is actually a good move, everyone knows what is going on and Snyder can remain above the fray.  It's only 3 meaningless games at the end of a meaningless season. 

Exactly. If he is going to retain Shanahan, then he has to give him the same freedoms he's always had. The only way he should prevent Griffin's benching is by firing Shanahan (if it comes to that). Whoever is the head coach should have the authority to play any player he wants.

Snyder is basically conceding here due to the turmoil surrounding the organization. Truth is, what is Snyder supposed to do? If he steps in and vetoes Shanny, he only solidifies the "leak" as being authentic and villanizes himself as the same old, meddlesome owner. Shanny damn well knows this and yet he is daring Snyder to make a move. Though I'd advocate Snyder firing his egotistical ass right now, I can see Snyder just waiting the last 3 weeks out.

This article isn't surprising in the sense that, nothing short of firing Shanny, Snyder's hands are tied concerning RG3 being benched.

Yeah, it doesn't change anything. All it will do (if he makes that decision) is make him look like the meddlesome madman. This is like PR Chess.

I said it yesterday. Shanahan knows if Snyder interferes it would all but justify the media reports of RGIII/Snyder's relationship.

Exactly. Shanny knows he has the upperhand now. If Snyder steps in, it validates everything the media thinks about Snyder/RG3 relationship. Snyder's option is to either 1) not get involved or 2) fire Shanny.

Imagine if Snyder did say to play Griffin and God forbid that Griffin was injured again. The media circus and fan hate towards Snyder would never be higher. He really can't do anything at all right now, not that sitting Griffin is a bad move. I would have done the same two weeks ago when we were eliminated from the playoffs. After that happens a teams most strategic move is to tank and evaluate. I think we are just now doing the obvious late of course 

Time to look towards 2014 and forget about 2013

Good? I mean, at this point if Snyder overrides Shanahan, he pretty much proves his point for him.

I don't disagree with the benching at all. Nor would I disagree with keeping him in. As far as I can tell, the RG3 benching situation has nothing to do with the coach/ownership situation. And even if Shanahan does have a selfish reason for doing it, there is at least a plausible argument in favor of benching.

Snyder is doing the right thing by living up to his word. As long as Shanahan is the coach, he won't step in and interfere. That was part of the deal. Smart move on Snyder's part to try to keep a positive reputation. 

However, I find this odd why Mike is considering to bench RG3 this late in the season. Especially after this mess started. Maybe it is a game of chess between Mike & Dan?

Wouldn't surprise me that this is much more media driven than we think.

This is what I've been thinking since yesterday, honestly.  Due to how bad the team is and how disliked both Shanahan and Snyder are by different groups of our fanbase it wouldn't surprise me at all if these reports contained less than 5% truth and little more than has gone on all season is going on behind the scenes right now.  Everyone keeps reading into these press conferences and I just don't see it, they sound the same and the answers sound the same as every Shany presser I've seen for the last 4 years.  I think with how bad we've been this year and how frustrated people are the usual skepticism of the media and near paranoia that they're simply stirring the pot are gone.  In fact, it's been taken the other way entirely.  Rather than be skeptical people are all but making additional things up on their own on the loosest of premises based on the smallest of quotes.  There are large groups of people who've made up their mind long ago on Shany and an equal or larger group that have done so with Snyder and these reports simply feed into the emotions they're already having.

Also, if you put emotions aside, the reports just don't make sense and don't add up at all.  Take a deep breath and pretend you're reading about the coach and owner of the Arizona Cardinals and tell me you aren't scratching your head trying to figure out how it all adds up.  I will die of laughter if the season ends, all this fades and Shany proceeds on with his 5th year.

Edit: should that happen I'll start a collection to fund the GHH suicide watch :ols:

Archived