Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would You Welcome Back Gregg Williams

DRSmith

Recruiting (ie begging) a big name to come in would be the wrong move for the organization. We need a coordinator who is the most hungry to come here who is perfectly fine with being held accountable for his performance.

Shanny isn't going to get that without a contract extension, either.

And so the sausage gravy thickens.

We have a better chance of having George Allen, SR. resurrected and come back to coach this team.  GW will never come back to this team.  Jim Zorn was better than him in the eyes of this team just six years ago.  You can't rebuild a bridge that was burned with that fuel.

We have a better chance of having George Allen, SR. resurrected and come back to coach this team.  GW will never come back to this team.  Jim Zorn was better than him in the eyes of this team just six years ago.  You can't rebuild a bridge that was burned with that fuel.

Reportedly there aren't hard feelings between Gregg and Snyder. He didn't see eye to eye with Vinny, and that's what resulted in him being run out of town. 

Can he put a bounty of John Mara's head?

Truthfully, he will never come back here - too much bad blood between him and El Danito. Anybody remember when Vinny leaked to the press that GW was mocking Gibbs? The all day interviews where they were jerking him around to succeed Gibbs, where Williams insisted on having the most say over personnel rather than Cerrato (the right move, obviously), so instead they hire powerless lackey Zorno the Un-Magnificient.

Actually, Dan & GW are cool now. Dan had been keeping tabs on him since his return to the League. The main issue was always Vinny being intimidated by GW.

That said, Shanny & GW here will not happen. Which is shame cause we'd have that nasty swag on both sides of the ball. But Shanny won't scrap the 3-4 & admit he was wrong about going to it.

I think if ES went back to the old threads on GW's defense here, not as many would be willing to welcome him back. While I was a fan of his defense, there certainly were a bunch who routinely complained about him, especially in 2006 when the D slid due to injuries. 

Despite the good rankings of GW defenses in other years, there were plenty on here who complained about him. 

The next DC, if he comes from our current staff I would prefer Olivadotti, then Raheem. No to Slowick, please, please, please no to Slowick. He doesn't have the performance history that warrants being DC.

I would welcome him back in a second. He gave our defense an attitude and an identity. I would love for him to not only be the DC, but the head man.

Yes. He gave the Saints D "an attitude and an identity." He got his head coach banned for a year, and his ass ****canned and banned from the NFL. And reports were that he did similar things when he was here. His defenses didn't win us any championships while he was here. He also sucked in Jacksonville and got fired. I remember him calling some pretty crappy defenses and losing us a fair share of games in his stint here.

But yeah .. I can CERTAINLY see why you would "welcome him back in a second."

I think if ES went back to the old threads on GW's defense here, not as many would be willing to welcome him back. While I was a fan of his defense, there certainly were a bunch who routinely complained about him, especially in 2006 when the D slid due to injuries. 

Despite the good rankings of GW defenses in other years, there were plenty on here who complained about him. 

Agreed. The rankings were high aside from 2006, but the week-to-week performances were pretty up and down.

2006 was bad due to injury, and poor offseason acquisitions. Walt Harris and Ryan Clark walked into FA. Adam Archuleta was brought in to replace Clark, but was some ass. Prioleau was supposed to replace him, but he was injured on opening night. Taylor then gets moved to SS, and numerous guys take turns missing games due to injury. Then after that year they skyrocket up to #4 (or 8) I believe.

The curious thing about his time here is that the strength of his defense was the secondary. The D-line was good against the run, but lacked pass rushers (Carter sucked, until '07 when he had double digit sacks).

GW always adjusted his scheme to fit his players. He always made adjustments. If something wasn't right, he generally fixed it, and had his guys (from Pro Bowlers to depth players) playing at a high level. I'm sure people complained here back then. People complain about everything. You also have to factor in how hamstrung his playcalling was at times, because during his tenure here, outside of one year, the offense was pretty woeful, and went through 4 different QB's and numerous coordinators.

TD Riggo,

in all fairness, who HASN'T sucked in Jacksonville?

Haslett doesn't have the respect from the players and he knows it, and he knows he's most likely out of DC after week 17,  maybe that's why he's hanging out in the booths upstairs, just in case they decide to fire him after the game, he can just hide up there.

Williams may not be THE best DC, but players respect him, play hard for the guy, and he adjusts and gameplans against teams and takes away their biggest threats. He has a passion for the game and players see this, and they want to play hard for him.

But with the way the NFL is going pro-offense/anti-defense, its difficult for ANY DC to have steady success, but Haslett is not even in the same paragraph as a Gregg Williams, in terms of DC.

• 4 weeks later...

The revisionist Gregg Williams narrative being pushed right now is a bit odd.

First of all, when GW came in 2004, he was given a stable of free agent signings and draft picks

Shawn Springs

Sean Taylor

Marcus Washington

Cedric Griffin

Joe Salavea

And perhaps most importantly, a smash mouth ball control offense

It is odd that given the above list we look back and think it was his scheme that provided the turnaround

Now, the negatives

-well known narcissist, confirmed by several journalists to me personally as well as a top Redskins executive

-coaching disaster in Buffalo, Jacksnoville

-his defense could not generate turnovers. Both in Buffalo and in Washington

-Ryan Clark was allowed to depart under his watch. Rumor at the time was he was instrumental in recruiting that safety from St Louis for a replacement

-not well liked among the Redskins coaching staff or front office

Not to even mention bounty gate

I just don't get it

The next DC, if he comes from our current staff I would prefer Olivadotti, then Raheem. No to Slowick, please, please, please no to Slowick. He doesn't have the performance history that warrants being DC.

His scheme could not generate turnovers. His drought from Buffalo followed him to Washington

Also, my pet peeve when any Redskins fan brings up GW, the talent he had on the field while he was here never gets the credit it deserves. When Gibbs came here in 2004 he completely overhauled our defensive roster and gave GW his top 5 draft pick. Yet the narrative at the time was it was Gw's scheme that brought the turnaround

So, think about our defensive roster right now and add the following to it

1. Shut down cornerback

2. Dominant ILB

3. Two huge NT /DE

4. Once in a lifetime talent at safety

5. Power running game on offense designed to keep the defense off the field

Think we'd see an improvement? Would you credit scheme or players?

If he was humbled by the whole bounty gate situation then I say sure.  Turnovers aren't that important when you're holding teams to 17 points or less.  Don't let him recruit players just let him coach.

I think the points were largely a function of Gibbs' ball control offense

I haven't checked, anyone know his points allowed in New Orleans? Bet it was a lot higher

I think the points were largely a function of Gibbs' ball control offense

I haven't checked, anyone know his points allowed in New Orleans? Bet it was a lot higher

Glad you brought up his defense in New Orleans, since it was a vital part of their Super Bowl victory. Throw stats and talent out the window. Players FIGHT for Gregg Williams. No doubt he won't do as well with the group we have now. Nobody could. Our defensive unit needs an upgrade regardless of who the DC is.

Archived