Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would You Welcome Back Gregg Williams

DRSmith

Top 10 defenses that overachieve -- yeah I'd take it by a mile over what we got.  Good write up by Matt Bowen about Gregg from his time here

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1794097-the-insiders-guide-to-a-gregg-williams-defense  

Motivation, accountability and attitude all play a crucial role in defensive football. It goes deeper than schemes or game plans or matchups.

Take the Tennessee Titans this season. They are a 3-1 football team that has completely changed the way they play on the defensive side of the ball, creating turnovers, sacks and pressure.

This is a nasty defense. A physical defense. Turn on the film and watch it for yourself.

And Gregg Williams has played a major role in this turnaround in his first year back in the NFL after serving a one-year suspension for the bounty program in New Orleans.

The senior assistant/defense for Tennessee has this unit playing with a style that reminds me of the two years I spent with Williams in Washington as a defensive back.

But how can one coach cause such a dramatic change?

Here’s my inside look at Williams, his scheme and the attitude he can bring to a football team.

Can he put a bounty of John Mara's head?

Truthfully, he will never come back here - too much bad blood between him and El Danito. Anybody remember when Vinny leaked to the press that GW was mocking Gibbs? The all day interviews where they were jerking him around to succeed Gibbs, where Williams insisted on having the most say over personnel rather than Cerrato (the right move, obviously), so instead they hire powerless lackey Zorno the Un-Magnificient.

Assuming that Rex Ryan is not back with the JETS, do you think he would come here? Say what you want about his HC ability - he is a great defensive coordinator.

The Jets would be idiots to fire Ryan...which they are, so who knows. Ryan is an excellent HC. Name one other coach who could get to back to back conference championships with Mark Sanchez at QB - dude makes Rex Grossman look like a pro-bowler. I'd rather have Rex than Shanny as HC as long as we get a decent GM to pick personnel.

I think Wade Phillips will be available, and he would be a perfect fit for the current roster and schemes.

If the Skins brought him back as a dc would people be excited or hate it?

Would welcome him in a heartbeat...Defensive upgrade would be BOUNTYful!!! HA HA HA Heck, even GW as HC wouldn't be too bad...should have happened when Gibbs II left, but No, we had to get ZORNucopia!

Kerrigan-Jenkins-Cofield-Rak as your starting front 4 on a Gregg Williams defense= Good luck everyone else. As long as we have a personel guy that tells him winning with talent doesn't take inches off your blitz package I'm all for it.

With the front 7, the major concern would be filling the linebackers but I think 4-3 talent is easier to get especially the WLBs because of the high supply to demand ratio. We could go Keenan / RJax at SLB, Riley at MLB and a signing / draft pick at WLB. Getting depth would be the big issue.

I'm in favor of anyone but Haslett at this point, so yes, I would welcome back Grilliams in a heartbeat, bounties and all. Even under Blache, when the D was still pretty good, it just seemed like they didn't play with that extra bit of juice like they did when Williams was the DC. They played hard(er), they played fast, and they wanted to **** you up.

Only problem is we have very few players for the 4-3 front seven wise, and Rak and Kerrigan are too small for DE. I firmly believe though,  that GW would run a better 3-4 scheme than Has, and would make better in game adjustments.

Edit, not sure what his relationship with Snyder is like these days, seeing as how things ended a little frosty here, with him not getting the HC job after Gibbs left.

I would welcome the 4-3 back more than anything, but Gregg knows how to get the most out of his players, no question about it.

Seeing Haslett up in a booth every night makes me shake my head in wonder as why he is still employed.

But even if Williams said he would coach here for FREE, Mike wouldn't take him; Mike is dead-set on making the 3-4 work regardless of who coaches it, and IMO that is where the problem begins.

Well, it'd be an adjustment for sure. The main issue is that while Orakpo/Cofield/Jenkins/Kerrigan looks like a nice DL on paper, you have to reshape everyone physically for the position (Cofield has to lose weight, Rak and Kerrigan have to hit the weights). Also we have NO linebackers unless Rob Jackson can play strongside. Riley is gone (the 4-3 is even more reliant on having good coverage LBs, and Riley sucks at coverage), Fletcher is gone or retired. Also the secondary would be a work in progress.

The upside is that there is a LOT of 4-3 talent in FA, and you can sign some stop gaps. However, the depth wouldn't be there and barring a full out blitz in FA, you may have to neglect the offense a bit to fix a GW defense. But hey, we could roll with our guys and it could work - GW's made chicken salad from chicken **** before.

Do you think Riley is gone because he's not good enough or he'll sign somewhere else?

With the front 7, the major concern would be filling the linebackers but I think 4-3 talent is easier to get especially the WLBs because of the high supply to demand ratio. We could go Keenan / RJax at SLB, Riley at MLB and a signing / draft pick at WLB. Getting depth would be the big issue.

The Giants won those superbowls without too many world beaters at linebacker because they had the best 4-3 nose tackle in the NFL. Cofield had more to do with that success of that defense than people realize.

I doubt Phillips comes here, but he may.  He and Mike worked together in Denver back in 90-91, but Shanahan ultimately took over Phillips HC career in Denver.  The ties to Kubiak can't hurt though, but I bet Phillips gets the job in Houston.  They probably want to go more offensive-minded, but that defense has been incredible under Phillips.

I'll preface with Gregg Williams was one of my favorite defensive coaches since Pettibone.

However, I'd enjoy a younger guy with newer ideas.  The game has changed a lot from just last season, I'm not sure that Williams is the best choice for anyone going forward.

The Jets would be idiots to fire Ryan...which they are, so who knows. Ryan is an excellent HC. Name one other coach who could get to back to back conference championships with Mark Sanchez at QB - dude makes Rex Grossman look like a pro-bowler. I'd rather have Rex than Shanny as HC as long as we get a decent GM to pick personnel.

I think Wade Phillips will be available, and he would be a perfect fit for the current roster and schemes.[/quote

Recruiting (ie begging) a big name to come in would be the wrong move for the organization. We need a coordinator who is the most hungry to come here who is perfectly fine with being held accountable for his performance.

Archived