Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

To people saying Dungy forget about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/12/04/tony-dungy-on-dan-snyder-i-would-not-want-to-work-for-him/

“You think Mike Shanahan will survive?” Patrick asked.

“That hasn’t been the history in Washington,” Dungy said. “Coaches haven’t lasted a long time there. I think it would be best for them in the long run to stay with this offense and keep building and keep some continuity. I’m not sure it’s going to happen.”

“Would you want to work for him? For Daniel Snyder?” Patrick asked.

“No, no,” Dungy said. “When you’re interviewing coaches for the job, and you haven’t told me I’ve lost the job yet? No, I would NOT want to work for him.”

You went full retread. Everyone knows you don't go full retread.

Nice.

Jay is soo nice I had to put him twice ;)

Would love to get Carmichael, love the Saints offense

Kubiac might leave people with a bad taste because of the Shanahan connection but the offense works quite well when ran correctly and Kubiac knows how to call. Maybe you link him up with an innovative spread/zone QB coach?

re: Bevell

I think every OC wants to be a HC and I think he's ready.

DC/OC only:

Eric Mangini

Wade Phillips

Gary Kubiac

KubiaK. Dude, I just don't have time to be your full-time spell checker.

^^ I tried for years, it's a lost cause....

I have another coach I want on the staff for WRs coach: Scott Frost, Scott Frost? (said with a high pitched questioning inflection) YEAH Scott Frost:

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3376&SPID=233&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=3661251&Q_SEASON=2013

Here's what I like: currently offensive coordinator and QBs coach for a wide open spread passing attack that is currently working in the NFL; he's paid his dues too.... former college QB, played in the NFL as a DB and special teammer, coached both sides of the ball from special teams to LB/DBs, he's been a defensive coordinator, WRs coach

Just some more names to throw into the ring.

Mike Pettine - Jets DC

Dean Pees - Patriots DC

Pete Carmichael Jr - Saints OC

Rick Dennison - Texans OC

Kevin Gilbride - Giants OC

Scott Linehan - Lions OC

I was going to suggest based on the list of stats you posted, Mike Pettine as DC and Pete Carmichael Jr as HC or OC. 

I have to wonder how much of the Saints offense is Payton produced as opposed to Carmichael. I am just not that familiar with their situation but I know the offense has Payton's fingerprints on it or he is at least credited with it. 

Same for Pettine as DC under Rex Ryan.

The point I guess that a team hiring ether would take away is that each coordinated and learned under the direction of two passionate, great minds. 

Living on the West Coast, I would suggest David Shaw from Stanford.   His dad was in profootball and Shaw hasmade Stanford fans forget about Jim Harbaugh which was not an easy feat to accomplish.   I do not know if hewants to leave Stanford but you know the saying about money talks and ..... walks.

I have people asking me all the time if he’s going to go to this place or that place, and I tell them every time, ‘Look, he’s not going anywhere,’ ” said Ken Bailey, a Houston attorney and one of Briles’s closest friends and confidants. “His roots are too deeply entrenched in Texas soil.”

It’s only natural that Briles’s name has been batted around on sports-talk radio and Internet message boards in regards to open jobs — or probably-will-be-open-soon jobs or might-just-under-certain-conditions-become-open-jobs — from Seattle (University of Washington) to Austin (University of Texas) to Washington, D.C. (the Redskins).

In the case of the Redskins, this appears to be at least partly a case of the transitive property gone awry: That because Briles is close with former Baylor and current Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III and because Griffin is tight with Daniel Snyder, the owner is compelled to make a play for Briles in the event Mike Shanahan is gone at the end of this season.

To the frequent questions about potential interest in him from other schools, Briles has consistently stated how happy he is at Baylor — which, just to be sure, recently gave him a 10-year contract extension — and how his only focus is on winning the rest of the Bears’ games this season, beginning with Saturday’s regular season finale against Texas. A question about potential NFL interest gets the same response.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/art-briles-baylor-football-coach-is-a-rising-star-who-loves-his-native-texas/2013/12/04/35e70d88-5cfc-11e3-8d24-31c016b976b2_story.html

TONY DUNGY

This team needs a great head coach and a leader of men. Tony is great at preparing his players and building solid teams.

Dungy is about the only retread I'd accept. One thing I know is that we won't have anymore drama.

I like Dungy but I don't want anymore SB winning retreads.

I would want Dungy to coach the team, but I respect the heck out of his opinion and would seek it about which GM and HCs to look at.

I would also seek advice from Mike Mayock, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcels, Bill Cowher, Steve Mairucci and Brian Billick (but only if he no longer wants to actually be in the game himself).

I caught the tail end of the Dan Patrick show the other day and Dungy was a guest. Dan Patrick stated that Dungy had said he would NOT want to work for Danny Boy. So that probably counts him out anyway....of course money talks and Dannys got plenty of that....

Some ask why Dungy?

Because the team needs a leader at head coach. One who isn't divisive and incoherent but forthright and transparent.

Dungy always had very strong coaching staffs from the offensive coordinAtor to the special teams coach and was a mastermind at building good teams.

Go get a GM and if he can lure Tony back to the sideline we'll be in a great position moving forward.

So really, of this list you only find Bevel interesting. Do you have another name to add to that list?

Or are you thinking Mike Shanahan stays on board?

I do disagree with you on Roman tho. While yes this year they are not " burning it up", they did last year.

But I am looking at his NFL experience as a whole. He has been around several NFL orginizations, so he is familiar with

what it takes to be a NFL coach, and he has picked up knowledge of different methods to coach and different offensive,

and defensive schemes. 

That knowledge would serve him well in not only assembling a staff, but implementing our offensive and defensive schemes.

I also like Jay Gruden if we are talking NFL coordinators.

Roman gets a lot of pub but he hasn't developed Kaepernick. The main goal is someone who can get the most out of Robert. Bevell has done well with talented QB's, got the most out of T.Jackson as well. Jay Gruden has done a good job adapting to A.Dalton, feel he would be able to do more offensively with a better QB as well. Roman is a guy who wouldn't be considered for the Redskins.

I also like Jay Gruden if we are talking NFL coordinators.

Roman gets a lot of pub but he hasn't developed Kaepernick. The main goal is someone who can get the most out of Robert. Bevell has done well with talented QB's, got the most out of T.Jackson as well. Jay Gruden has done a good job adapting to A.Dalton, feel he would be able to do more offensively with a better QB as well. Roman is a guy who wouldn't be considered for the Redskins.

Do you have access to Snyder or know someone who does?  If so, relay the message to Snyder to focus on Bevell and avoid going for the big splash retread like Jon Gruden lol.

Some ask why Dungy?

Because the team needs a leader at head coach. One who isn't divisive and incoherent but forthright and transparent.

Dungy always had very strong coaching staffs from the offensive coordinAtor to the special teams coach and was a mastermind at building good teams.

Go get a GM and if he can lure Tony back to the sideline we'll be in a great position moving forward.

No thanks.  Dungy has Gibbs II written all over him.  Don't get me wrong.  I love Gibbs and since Snyder has owned the team, Gibbs II did have the most success out of any of the other coaches during Snyder's ownership, but I want to start being a consistent contender and I think we need to hire a hungry OC who has plenty of experience.

Dungy had Manning and only one one SB. Not only that, he had a putrid defense unless Harrison was healthy. It took Gruden to motivate the Bucs into a SB. Don't get me wrong, I believe Dungy is a good coach, but not for the Skins. I also don't want John Gruden.

I believe if we go in another direction next season, then Bevel would be the best choice.

You forgot Defensive line. That's horrible too!!

The defensive line isn't terrible. I'll take Cofield, Bowen, and even Baker any day. Jenkins shows flashes and it's still too early to say he's a bust. We could use a stud DE. But that is hardly a major concern at this time. We need O-line, a BIG WR, and help at DB more than we need D-line.

Archived