Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

Good question. Either Shanahan has been ignoring him like Vinny did, or he's also part of the talent-acquisition problem. It can only be one or the other.

A.J. Smith is not well-liked around the league. I'm pretty sure lots of people refer to him as The Lord of No Rings. And SD fell apart around him.

OR its that Shanahan & Haslett tell them what type of players they want,Morroco & Campbell find players that fit what the HC/DC wanted, and they still suck. I'd say it's a problem with the architect not the constriction crew..

Art Briles just got extended for 10 years at Baylor.  It's gunna be a while till he comes out, if ever.  A guy I KNOW would turn this thing around and motivate players to play for him is Bill Cowher, but he is likely never leaving his cushy job at CBS.

Wasn't really a 10 year extensio.And that contract wouldn't deter any NFL team if they really wanted him.Briles deal was more about protecting Baylor from colleges poaching Briles.

Some other names I've seen in this thread:

L.Smith- No Chance

McDaniels- Haha No

Pioli- No

Jon Gruden- No..Says he isn't interested..Jay has a better shot

Wisenhunt- Would be a shocker

Roman- Don't see it. SF /kap aren't really burning it up

Bevel-Interesting

Shaw-Says he's not interested

Wasn't really a 10 year extensio.And that contract wouldn't deter any NFL team if they really wanted him.Briles deal was more about protecting Baylor from colleges poaching Briles.

L.Smith- No Chance

McDaniels- Haha No

Pioli- No

Bevel-Interesting

A tandem that might be interesting.  Mike Zimmer as HC and Jason Garrett as OC (if he were to get the ax from Dallas).  Thoughts?

That KC team was loaded with talent even though they did make a few mistakes. Most of their problems during Pioli's time were from HC and QB issues imo. 

Those teams were loaded with talent because they were always drafting top 8 year in and year out lmao

It's easy to build a roster full of talent when you're always picking at the top of the draft. 

K.C. is really not my argument, all I was pointing out that K.C. did make some changes and this team had holes to fill but had some solid pieces to mold but let us not kid ourselves, K.C. does not get respect from the media because of their schedule. As to giving Mike Shanahan another year, I would say look at what happen to Houston as an example to what can happen here in D.C.. Houston stinks for many years under Kubiak, makes some marginal steps, then playoffs for two years and now stinks again. Kubiak has been in Houston for 7 years with just two playoff appearances. No thanks. I would stop watching the Skins if they made this same mistake with Shanahan.

We now have some solid pieces, let's see how shanahan does with this next year with another year of building talent. This roster is better than what shanny inherited. I think people underestimate how little we have to show from pre shanny. It's funny how much these new coaches get credit for the previous regime. Kind of like jon gruden from tony dungy's work.

True it wasn't really a 10 year extension.  Maybe true, maybe not on deterring NFL teams.

What is definite is Briles wont be in DC.

AJ Smith is trash as a gm.  Talk about a cheap ****, I don't think he could function under Snyder.  This is the guy who ran Vincent Jackson out of town and caused multiple players to hold out on him.  And there's a reason SD never signed any free agents of note during his tenure.

If you draft well then you don't need to sign free agents of note.  SD had a stacked roster for a while due to AJ Smith drafts.  Did he make some mistakes in judgement with how he handled some players?  Yes.  Is he a dick?  Yeah sorta.  But he knows how to build a roster.  I think Smith and Bruce Allen would make a good pair.  Smith's weakness is Allen's strength and vice versa.  Let Allen handle the contracts and PR part and allow Smith to pick the players.  

As far as the HC, I like David Shaw and Bill O'Brien.  Pep Hamilton could be interesting as well.  

Since Dan has bought the team only one thing has stayed status quo. He has tried everything except hire a real GM. It's time for that to happen. You just cant compromise the chain of command with friends, family members, and yes men. It has been a weak link for the team since Mr. Snyder bought the team. I have a good feeling we will finally get one soon. Enough is enough.

HTTR

I am no expert but was thinking as I perused the thread that the most important thing to get sorted is a GM. Let him decide the coach for us.

You hit the nail on head and beat me to it.  

If we could grade the GMs under Dan, would any get a passing grade? Even Shanahan, I didn't like his initial moves... notably McNabb. He seemed slow to pull the trigger on targeting a QB for the future. If he failed on one, so be it. We spent 6 picks now that the smoked has cleared, yet didnt draft one until year three. Sure he wanted that perfect someone, but a rebuilding team has to start drafting some, if even in late rounds and try and hit a gem. We had 0 drafted in the first 2 years.

I figured by year three, the OL would be built up and ready to protect said asset. Of course, it was built to run, and here we are.

If you draft well then you don't need to sign free agents of note. SD had a stacked roster for a while due to AJ Smith drafts. Did he make some mistakes in judgement with how he handled some players? Yes. Is he a dick? Yeah sorta. But he knows how to build a roster. I think Smith and Bruce Allen would make a good pair. Smith's weakness is Allen's strength and vice versa. Let Allen handle the contracts and PR part and allow Smith to pick the players.

As far as the HC, I like David Shaw and Bill O'Brien. Pep Hamilton could be interesting as well.

You don't need to sign fa, but you dang well better resign your good players, which smith really didn't do and sd fell apart. Like I said, he's cheap!

I'm now on the David Shaw bandwagon.

There is no bandwagon to be on.

David Shaw: “I plan on being here for a very long time”

With the success he’s had at Stanford and his NFL background, it’s only natural that Shaw would receive interest from pro teams.

“I had a 9-year run in the NFL it was phenomenal,” said Shaw, who was an offensive assistant for 3 different teams. “One of the best things about the NFL is that you’re coaching the best in the world.”

But the Cardinal Coach has no intentions of leaving his current gig.

“I absolutely love it here,” said Shaw. “My family loves it here. My wife is an East Coast woman who’s been transplanted here to Palo Alto, California and never wants to leave. So I plan on being here for a very long time.”

http://jimrome.com/2013/09/25/david-shaw-i-plan-on-being-here-for-a-very-long-time/

Kelly's Eagles are gonna be a pain in the ass for years to come,

Correct.

OR its that Shanahan & Haslett tell them what type of players they want,Morroco & Campbell find players that fit what the HC/DC wanted, and they still suck. I'd say it's a problem with the architect not the constriction crew..

So what types of players are Shanahan and Haslett erroneously directing Brown to find, resulting in poor draft picks?

You don't need to sign fa, but you dang well better resign your good players, which smith really didn't do and sd fell apart. Like I said, he's cheap!

SD was able to re-sign a lot of their homegrown players.  He messed up letting Vincent Jackson, Sproles and Michael Turner go.  But his drafts from 2004-07 were outstanding.  And he found 3 UDFAs in Antonio Gates, Kris Dielman and Kassim Osgood who were pro-bowlers.  Their defense got old and his last few drafts weren't as good, but some of those players are blossoming now.  

As for the "he's cheap" argument, the Spanos family aren't known to throw money around.  

Those teams were loaded with talent because they were always drafting top 8 year in and year out lmao

It's easy to build a roster full of talent when you're always picking at the top of the draft.

The point about KC though is that even with all that talent they weren't winning until they got a coach to maximize the players and put them in position to win. Reid is maximizing that talent even without a world beater a QB

L.Smith- No Chance

McDaniels- Haha No

Pioli- No

Bevel-Interesting

Pioli would certainly be on my list as would Lovie Smith (although would prefer a 34 guy)

The only pause I have about McDaniels is that he needs a strong GM, but we need a GM either way.

I would also need to make sure he's on board with grooming Griffin.

I like Jay's offenses but I dislike Jon so much that it kinda sours me on his kin.

Not fan of Wisenhunt, plus his scheme/style of offense would be a major shift.

I'm kinda *meh* on Roman my favorite aspect about his offense is his commitment to the running game. But, ideally I want a guy that knows the passing game.

Bevel seems like a very steady guy, plus he's a WCO guy that has groomed a young QB before and has worked with/under some of the best QB minds in the league.

It seems all the college guys expressed interest in staying in college and I have misgivings about handing the reigns to any college guy without NFL experience.

2 guys you didn't comment on:

Tom Clements/Pete Carmichael Jr

Key hires for me are the OC and QBs coach. I want a former NFL QB somewhere on the staff. Someone Griff can turn to that faced live bullets and knows how to be a pro. I also want someone with extensive knowledge of the air raid spread passing concepts that knows how to install and call it, it wouldn't hurt if they knew some ZONE-read too like Phillip Montgomery.

You think Shanatan comes back for cinco?

For DC I've alway been a fan of Mangini and Romeo Crenel especially since their 34 guys with a wealth of knowledge

My take?

GM - Promote Morocco Brown

HC - Hire Darrel Bevell, the OC from Seattle

OC - let the GM and Bevell make that decision.

DC - Promote Raheem Morris

My dream.

I could live with this as well.  To answer the OP's question I would say Bill O'Brian here is why:

1. He took a PSU team that was in shambles and made them competitive for two years despite scholarship reductions, players leaving etc... 

2.  He took Matt McGloin and developed him. if JoPA was still in PSU Matt McGloin would be selling insurance not playing for Oakland.

3. What O'Brian has done with Christian Hackenberg in his first year. I have been impressed I thought PSU would not win a game in the big ten this year.

I think O'Brian can help develop RG III further but the skins would have to pay him a lot to get him out of PSU 

Romeo Crennel could be a very viable replacement for Haslett.

I just wonder what would be the odds of Haslett staying on if Mike S. does coach in his 5th year ??

As I said before if Mike stays for his fifth year Bob Slowik would be defensive coordinator.   

L.Smith- No Chance

McDaniels- Haha No

Pioli- No

Bevel-Interesting

So, who do you think is the most likely replacement if Shanahan is fired? I know there are still a lot of moving parts, but if you had to give your best guess as of right now who would it be?

The point about KC though is that even with all that talent they weren't winning until they got a coach to maximize the players and put them in position to win. Reid is maximizing that talent even without a world beater a QB

Ya... but, the Chiefs are a team I can see easily struggling to make the playoffs with a tougher 1st or 2nd place schedule next year. Also, its not as if he brought over his system and the team began to dominate; the primary reason for their success is the defense; not his strongest suit. 

No doubt he's done a great job over there though. 

Archived