Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

Yeah but how is his coaching ability?

He got Cam looking good right now. Does that count for something?

DC- Wade Phillips (I think they clean house in Houston)

If we can get Wade Phillps next year, no matter who the head coach is, I would be pleased. It's problems in Houston, but the defense ain't one of them. That offense keeps setting them up.

Gruden pretty much declined the job tonight in my opinion when Gruden stated oh " Skins be careful what you wish for in a coaching change." The next head coach might like Cousins better than RG3. I just laughed and said well I hope all the extremeskin fans heard this comment. Gruden would have a quarterback controversy day one.

Maybe he was declining the job, or maybe he was just answering Question 1 in the job interview. I don't see how anyone can reasonably say that Robert Griffin is still the undisputed franchise quarterback that he seemed to be last year. Maybe it's just the injury affecting him. Maybe he simply doesn't have the ability to be a regular NFL pocket quarterback - and defences have gotten wise to the college quarterback he can be. Maybe the O-line is just so damn useless, and he's getting hit so often that he's simply lost the confidence to play naturally - and when that happens, in an sport, even the greatest thoroughbreds can suddenly turn into donkeys.

All of these possibilities are fixable, but those fixes aren't guaranteed to make Griffin a great quarterback. And no sensible, responsible coach - or organisation - can simply say, 'RGII is the future of this franchise, come what may.'

Anyone coming in to this franchise - and though i think that the real man to blame is John Mara for landing us with that $36m cap-deduction, I can't see any future for the Shanahans or Haslett here - would have to have an open mind. He'd have to say to Snyder, 'I'll only take the job if I know I'm free to select the man i think is the best quarterback for the way I want to play.'

And all is not lost … It looks like Snyder, Allen and Shanahan blew it when they bet the farm on Robert Griffin. But they lucked out when they got two other first-round talents in the 4th and 6th. Alfred Morris has already proved himself. Kirk Cousins may yet do the same. And they even picked up another late-round star in Jordan Reed.

We'll have more money next season, plus the amount saved by waving a fond farewell to London Fletcher and Santana Moss and less enthusiastic adieus to Fred Davis, Josh Wilson, Josh Morgan and sundry other superfluous items. An incoming coach might see useful weapons in Garcon, Reed, Morris, and to a lesser extent Hankerson and Helu. Put a decent O-line together and give them a stable, competent, old-school pocket passer like Kirk Cousins and maybe they wouldn't set the world on fire. But they wouldn't be the embarrassment the current, Griffin/Kyle offence has become.

But none of this happens unless a new coach has the balls to tell Snyder, 'If I want to play Cousins, or bring in a new QB, that's what's going to happen.' And that's not a controversy. That's just simple common sense.

(5) DC- I WANT SOMEONE THAT KNOWS HOW TO CALL A 34 DEFENSE

This is what I also want.  The man at the top of my list whom I'd like to see get a shot is Kevin Greene.  Was a monster on the field in the 3-4, played under Cowher and Capers and has been the LB coach for the packers under Capers.  

Here's what I'm looking for:

(1) A GM from a stable organization that knows how to draft

(2) HC I want someone that has either been groomed as an NFL HC, meaning they've been in a coordinator position at the NFL level long enough to have seasoning and their unit must be good. I want a HC that has experience/background on offense but especially in the passing game and for the QB position. If they know the WCO that's a plus.

(3) OC must have NFL experience as a QB coach he doesn't have to be a playcaller because if we hire an offensive minded HC they might want to be the playcaller. Would be willing to promote a former QB coach that has worked/had success with a young QB.

(4) QB Coach want a coach from the college ranks that really knows the spread offense.

(5) DC- I WANT SOMEONE THAT KNOWS HOW TO CALL A 34 DEFENSE

I agree with all of the above. I'd go after the top guys in the Seattle and SF organizations.They build from the lines out which is something we need. I'd also love to poach Wade Phillips or Ray Horton as my top two DC hopefuls.

Not sure of candidates on the other spots though I liked your idea from a previous post about Montgomery from Baylor coming on board. 

And all is not lost … It looks like Snyder, Allen and Shanahan blew it when they bet the farm on Robert Griffin. But they lucked out when they got two other first-round talents in the 4th and 6th. Alfred Morris has already proved himself. Kirk Cousins may yet do the same. And they even picked up another late-round star in Jordan Reed.

I don't know what he shown to make anyone think he was or is a 1st round talent. The RG3 hate on this board is ridiculous. Kirk is not the answer. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathaniel_Hackett

^^All the current Offensive Coordinators

QB Coaches:

* = Quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lee_(American_football_coach)

I knew that name sounded familiar. Is that really him? Dude is the luckiest college QB ever. We can use some of that luck.

If he runs anything like that offense down at the U we will be in good shape.  Very close to what Seattle is running right now.

I'm generally in the NO RETREADS camp...except I would bend that rule for John Gruden. Beyond that...I could go with HE - Art Briles, DC - Spanos.

Please keep Love Smith & Ken Whisenhunt FAR AWAY from my team!

As for GM...no clue. Part of me thinks Gruden could do it...The rest of me isn't so sure. One thing is for sure....we need an overhaul & a modern/innovative system & we need to strike gold in a coal mine.

What kills me is that we continue to miss out on that white unicorn by getting stuck with failures. We missed Chip Kelly because we were committed to Shanahan. We missed Payton because of Gibbs or Zorn...can't remember now. We whiffed on Harbaugh & Carroll...& we'll probably guess wrong now.

Eff you football Gods...I hate you.

I would just like a coach with a brain. 

Someone who can manage to get a playcall in one 2nd and 1 with the clock stopped and not have to take a T.O. with only 42 seconds left in the game.

That right there is exactly when Shanny needs to go. A college coach...maybe not even a H.S. coach would make that mistake. And it wasn't the first and wont be the last.

I've said it in other threads and I'll say it here, too. Snyder does not know how to even interview/hire/fire any potential head of football operations. He needs to either die an early death so we can end this nightmare that's been going on since he took over... or more realistically, he needs to hire a consultant that can demonstrate how to assemble a front office staff.

Not going to happen because Snyder is an idiot. 

I like the idea of Greg Roman coming in. We would keep some continuity in the offense.

He was OC at Stanford for a couple of years.

Has been with Carolina, Baltimore and Houston, so he knows about NFL teams.

As for a DC, I would hope they can get somebody like Lovey Smith.

BTW- Does anybody know when Kyles contract expires ??

I like the idea of Greg Roman coming in. We would keep some continuity in the offense.

He was OC at Stanford for a couple of years.

Has been with Carolina, Baltimore and Houston, so he knows about NFL teams.

As for a DC, I would hope they can get somebody like Lovey Smith.

BTW- Does anybody know when Kyles contract expires ??

I bet you do. :P

Since Dan has bought the team only one thing has stayed status quo. He has tried everything except hire a real GM. It's time for that to happen. You just cant compromise the chain of command with friends, family members, and yes men. It has been a weak link for the team since Mr. Snyder bought the team. I have a good feeling we will finally get one soon. Enough is enough.

HTTR

This. But I'm not sure we get one. Too many people seem to think Bruce Allen makes for a passable front office. The lack of true GM isn't getting nearly enough media time. Snyder has pulled the wool over most folks' eyes it seems.

This. But I'm not sure we get one. Too many people seem to think Bruce Allen makes for a passable front office. The lack of true GM isn't getting nearly enough media time. Snyder has pulled the wool over most folks' eyes it seems.

I think Bruce Allen could be a Stan Kasten type, "President of Football Operations" who hires a GM like Mike Rizzo to run the day to day operations. That GM then picks his coach.

That is my hope and prayer at least because the organization badly needs that. For better or worse, the Nationals are Mike Rizzo's organization. 

I'm liking the Pioli/McDaniels reunion idea. McDaniels would be fine as a HC/offensive mind as long as he's not in complete control. He messed himself in Denver when he got his shot because he was in complete control. He's a brilliant offensive mind and if Pioli can set us up defensively the way he helped set up NE back in the day and KC more recently, we'll be happy fans. He's got extensive experience acquiring talent for the 3-4.

I also bet that failing once was a great lesson for McDaniels, a la Belichick once upon a time.

Whisenhunt is actually a very interesting choice. You say he's not lightning it up in SD, but the Chargers offense is legit good and he's turned Rivers's career around even though he doesn't necessarily have world class talent around him(an older Gates and a 3rd round rookie WR who's been good, but still a rook). His offenses in Pittsburgh were pretty solid too, and he was quite successful with a Cardinals team that hadn't won squat before he got there. I'd actually be okay with hiring Whsienhunt too.

But there's the problema -- every 2-4 years, we are like a teenage boy who's growing tired of the current love interest. So, we jump to the next "hot girl," only to find out in 2-4 years that she ain't so hot either!

Be careful what you wish for!

If we make a change I would like to see it start at the very top. If you want to keep Bruce Allen around that's fine but stop with the silly charade of him being a GM. Give the kid who's been patiently waiting for the job a chance, Morocco Brown. Give him full authority to hire, fire, sign and draft. Nothing else has worked, I want to try it this way.

But there's the problema -- every 2-4 years, we are like a teenage boy who's growing tired of the current love interest. So, we jump to the next "hot girl," only to find out in 2-4 years that she ain't so hot either!

Be careful what you wish for!

To make this analogy work, the "hot girl" we end up dating has to turn out to be lame-brained, 400 lbs and have non-functioning lady parts.

Greg Williams isn't coming back here nor should he. 

Why not?  Guy knows how to coach defense and get people to play with a chip on their shoulder.

If we make a change I would like to see it start at the very top. If you want to keep Bruce Allen around that's fine but stop with the silly charade of him being a GM. Give the kid who's been patiently waiting for the job a chance, Morocco Brown. Give him full authority to hire, fire, sign and draft. Nothing else has worked, I want to try it this way.

I agree.

We shouldn't hire a head coach who is over 55 either - unless its Joe Gibbs or Bill Parcells.

Archived