Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

If we make a change I would like to see it start at the very top. If you want to keep Bruce Allen around that's fine but stop with the silly charade of him being a GM. Give the kid who's been patiently waiting for the job a chance, Morocco Brown. Give him full authority to hire, fire, sign and draft. Nothing else has worked, I want to try it this way.

Why do you think Morocco Brown would be a good GM ???

I am not asking this to be a smartass, I am requesting info.

Good question. Either Shanahan has been ignoring him like Vinny did, or he's also part of the talent-acquisition problem. It can only be one or the other.

I see alot of folks mentioning Scott Pioli.

But what about A.J. Smith who is already with the team ??

A.J. Smith is not well-liked around the league. I'm pretty sure lots of people refer to him as The Lord of No Rings. And SD fell apart around him.

From everything I've read and heard about him is that he has a very good eye for talent. I think it's only a matter of time before he's pried away from another organization and I really think we're going to regret it.

From everything I've read and heard about him is that he has a very good eye for talent. I think it's only a matter of time before he's pried away from another organization and I really think we're going to regret it.

So did Shanahan ignore him like Vinny, then? If not, isn't Brown as complicit in our draft failures as Shanahan?

Isn't that also why we have two guys, the lovable Bruce Allen and the talent evaluating Smith?

I don't know, it would depend on how you feel about Smith's drafting. Like I said, SD fell apart around him.

Why not?  Guy knows how to coach defense and get people to play with a chip on their shoulder.

Bridge. Burned.

He listened to us when we flipped a **** about Fassel.

At least we were right on that.

But we were right on that one. Just look at how many other NFL teams clamored for Fassel after we (for whatever crazy ass reason) courted him.

That KC team was loaded with talent even though they did make a few mistakes. Most of their problems during Pioli's time were from HC and QB issues imo. 

Reid brought in 23 players, coaches, and staff members

By signing Lovie Smith itd just be another Redskins/Snyder flashy hiring of a big name, something we need to get away from.  I say we grab a coordinator from a winning team that has never been a head coach and hope he is the man

Lovie Smith is not a big name. Lovie consistently kept Chicago competitive but never won a championship.

Maybe he was declining the job, or maybe he was just answering Question 1 in the job interview. I don't see how anyone can reasonably say that Robert Griffin is still the undisputed franchise quarterback that he seemed to be last year. Maybe it's just the injury affecting him. Maybe he simply doesn't have the ability to be a regular NFL pocket quarterback - and defences have gotten wise to the college quarterback he can be. Maybe the O-line is just so damn useless, and he's getting hit so often that he's simply lost the confidence to play naturally - and when that happens, in an sport, even the greatest thoroughbreds can suddenly turn into donkeys.

All of these possibilities are fixable, but those fixes aren't guaranteed to make Griffin a great quarterback. And no sensible, responsible coach - or organisation - can simply say, 'RGII is the future of this franchise, come what may.'

Anyone coming in to this franchise - and though i think that the real man to blame is John Mara for landing us with that $36m cap-deduction, I can't see any future for the Shanahans or Haslett here - would have to have an open mind. He'd have to say to Snyder, 'I'll only take the job if I know I'm free to select the man i think is the best quarterback for the way I want to play.'

And all is not lost … It looks like Snyder, Allen and Shanahan blew it when they bet the farm on Robert Griffin. But they lucked out when they got two other first-round talents in the 4th and 6th. Alfred Morris has already proved himself. Kirk Cousins may yet do the same. And they even picked up another late-round star in Jordan Reed.

We'll have more money next season, plus the amount saved by waving a fond farewell to London Fletcher and Santana Moss and less enthusiastic adieus to Fred Davis, Josh Wilson, Josh Morgan and sundry other superfluous items. An incoming coach might see useful weapons in Garcon, Reed, Morris, and to a lesser extent Hankerson and Helu. Put a decent O-line together and give them a stable, competent, old-school pocket passer like Kirk Cousins and maybe they wouldn't set the world on fire. But they wouldn't be the embarrassment the current, Griffin/Kyle offence has become.

But none of this happens unless a new coach has the balls to tell Snyder, 'If I want to play Cousins, or bring in a new QB, that's what's going to happen.' And that's not a controversy. That's just simple common sense.

This is complete foolishness for a head coach to come in and basically say hey I want a new qb after the Skins gave up 2 first rounds and a second round draft pick to move up to draft RG3 especially after one year of the kid being brilliant and the second year coming off a major injury and no off season. This is not an Alex Smith situation in S.F. when the qb was pedestrian for 4 complete years. The coach would at least give the qb two years to see his development and to add to your 36 million dollar statement, I am glad this team had that hit because Shanahan would have made more blunders in personnel decisions as he has with the Morgans, Browns, McNabbs, and etc.

When the qb was rookie of the year, and showed he can throw the ball in the pocket as he did last year and basically put the team on his back and carried them to the playoffs RG3 has now garnished some house money. Not to say that if RG3 falters in two years not to move on but the man has shown some major up side if a coach is willing to coach him properly and PROTECT him with the right offensive line.

I posted this in another thread.

I think Bruce gets personnel decisions and the new HC works for him. And I think he's smart enough to promote Morroco or somebody to have more player personnel power.

Kindof like Vinny was for the 2 years of Zorn.

Which could work, if he had a real personnel guy doing the drafting and FA stuff.

I really want a HC that has been an OC or DC with significant success.

Wow had no idea. Still they had a solid core of quality players before Reid.

They have a total of 7 new starters.  The best might be, at best, the 12th best starter on that team.  They clearly had a lot of talent on that team (2nd most afc pro bowlers despite 1st pick in draft).  To say they had a solid core is an understatement, they had 6 or 7 all-pro, not just pro bowl, players.  Don't let fancy pro-Andy Reid talk fool you, that team was basically just a solid qb and good health away from having a winning season.

If a GM picked that, I'd be fine with it. I'm also intrigued by Todd Bowles on D.

That defense is more a product of ray horton if anything.  If there is a guy I'd make a head coach it would be him or Art Briles.  Leaning towards Briles due to it being an offensive league and his experience with Griffin.

Archived