Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

Yea I am not sure I followed that.

So Haslett says "I need big DE's who weigh 310+ for this scheme" and Brown/Campbell identify those guys but they suck? 

So what types of players are Shanahan and Haslett erroneously directing Brown to find, resulting in poor draft picks?

Yea I am not sure I followed that.

So Haslett says "I need big DE's who weigh 310+ for this scheme" and Brown/Campbell identify those guys but they suck? 

What it means is Shanny & Haslett want certain types of players, they give the orders to S.Campbell (college) and M.Brown (Pro).. Brown & Campbell wouldn't be here if they were not finding the guys that Haslett & Shanny wanted. 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/29/with-redskins-since-01-scott-campbell-has-earned-m/?page=all

...Coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Bruce Allen’s determination to break from the team’s old philosophy by building through the draft has invigorated Campbell — validating his professional existence, even. Washington’s top scout and his lieutenants survived the change from deposed front office chief Vinny Cerrato by adapting to Shanahan’s player requirements. Now, entering his third draft since Shanahan took over,Campbell is more comfortableicon1.png than ever with his task of identifying players that meet Shanahan’s prerequisites.

“I would say we’ve gotten better,” Campbell said. “I would describe it in the beginning you’re bringing players to them saying, ‘Does this guy fiticon1.png? Does this guy fit?’ As time goes on, you’re coming to him saying, ‘I’ve got a guy for you.’ “

“It is an adjustment, and it is challenging,” Campbell said. “That’s more or less common when a new coaching staff comes in. They’re going to have their own philosophies; especially veteran coaches, they like certain types of players, certain characteristics, certain traits to fit their schemes. The sooner you can give your scouting department direction in terms of the profile you’re looking for, the better off you’re going to be.”

...One of Shanahan’s first actions on the job, along with Haslett and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, was educating Campbell, director of pro personnel Morocco Brown and other scouts about their preferences. They had series of meetings in which they would analyze game film of prospects to highlight certain coveted traits.

“Communication is vital,” Campbell said. “If you can’t communicate what you want, how could you expect someone to be able to go scout players for you? You’re just guessing. I know who I like, but they might not like them — not because they’re not a good football player, but they don’t fit the profile of what they’re looking for.”

Added Shanahan: “We spent a lot of time in the first year through the draft talking about what we were looking for. Over years, they understand what you’re looking for. All of a sudden they see these players play, they look at film and go, ‘OK, now I understand this is what they’re looking for.’ It’s just communication and spending time together. I think it has really helped.”

New owner, new team name would be high on the list for me.

Then you establish a traditional Owner-->GM-->HC type chain of command, much like you see in other successful clubs like Baltimore, and Pittsburgh.

I don't have much of a preference on the HC hire, just make it someone who has NOT won the SuperBowl in the past, like someone mentioned above.  Perhaps it could be some up and coming OC like Bevel, or Roman who would be interested in the job.

Ultimately I think the Redskins problems lie with the owner and team name.  We make changes there and the rest will follow.

I agree that we should load up the brinks truck and acquire Lovie as the DC/Asst HC! For head coach I would definitely go with an up and comer. David Shaw would be perfect, however it was reported that Stanford signed him to a lucrative multiyear deal (no details were released) if we do manage to sign him Snyder would have to overpay. With that type of salary the expectations and pressure to immediately live up to the contract will crush him IMO. I would love for Mike Zimmer to be our HC too, love his tenacity and passion. 

New owner, new team name would be high on the list for me.

Then you establish a traditional Owner-->GM-->HC type chain of command, much like you see in other successful clubs like Baltimore, and Pittsburgh.

I don't have much of a preference on the HC hire, just make it someone who has NOT won the SuperBowl in the past, like someone mentioned above.  Perhaps it could be some up and coming OC like Bevel, or Roman who would be interested in the job.

Ultimately I think the Redskins problems lie with the owner and team name.  We make changes there and the rest will follow.

I don't think that team name has anything to do with anything.

I'm also not exactly sure what Dan has done wrong recently.  He's got a good relationship with Griffin.  But I'm not sure that's a bad thing.  You also can't tell me that owners like Pat Bowen and Bob Kraft don't have personal and positive relationships with Peyton and Tom.  

I'm actually not all that sure WHAT Dan is doing at all at the moment.  Seems to me, at least from reports, that he's not doing anything but showing up in the owners box.  

For what it's worth, here's what I think is going to happen:

1. The 'Skins are going to look pretty bad the rest of the way. They will win a game or two, but that's it.

2. Shanahan is not going to get an extension.  And he shouldn't. 

3. They will negotiate a way out so he doesn't get the full reported $7M. 

4. Bruce Allen will be promoted (in name only, really) to GM. Because he's already the Executive VP and GM.  But, he'll be given the latitude to hire the next coach, and do the player acquisition stuff. This is exactly what happened to Vinny after Gibbs retired.  He got bumped up, and was given the opportunity to hire the coach,and control personnel.  He failed miserably, but he had the authority to do it.

5. Bruce will select the next coach.  I'm not sure who it's going to be, but Bruce is pretty well respected in the league, he's a football lifer, and has had some success. So, unlike with Vinny running the show, where the top candidates wouldn't even talk to him, I don't think that would happen this time.

6. I think that the combination of Bruce and the HC would fill out the staff.  

7. I also think that they would promote somebody to be more of the player-personnel guy who worked for Allen. I think they'd probably stay in house, for better or worse. So, Allen would become the defacto "President" and have the HC and GM working for him. 

I think Gruden is a possibility because of his past relationship with Allen.  But I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

I think Snyder is gonna give Shanny a fifth year.  Not because he "without a doubt" deserves it, but because out of the list of possible candidates, there's nobody out there that he feels is a world beater.

I say he either goes out and makes Briles an offer he can't refuse, or he sticks with our current staff, with Haslett getting the axe and a new DC being brought in.

I know everyone has their coaches that they like, but Whisehunt, Jon Gruden, and, McDaniels are guys I don't particularly care for.

As I said before if Mike stays for his fifth year Bob Slowik would be defensive coordinator.

If this were to happen I'd be pissed as I'm in favor of extending him one year and seeing what he can do in year five. I'm not do sure he would do this since he already fired him as a DC coach in Denver. I'm hoping he gets fired along with Haslett as he's been awful here in DC.

What it means is Shanny & Haslett want certain types of players, they give the orders to S.Campbell (college) and M.Brown (Pro).. Brown & Campbell wouldn't be here if they were not finding the guys that Haslett & Shanny wanted.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/29/with-redskins-since-01-scott-campbell-has-earned-m/?page=all

...Coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Bruce Allen’s determination to break from the team’s old philosophy by building through the draft has invigorated Campbell — validating his professional existence, even. Washington’s top scout and his lieutenants survived the change from deposed front office chief Vinny Cerrato by adapting to Shanahan’s player requirements. Now, entering his third draft since Shanahan took over,Campbell is more comfortableicon1.png than ever with his task of identifying players that meet Shanahan’s prerequisites.

“I would say we’ve gotten better,” Campbell said. “I would describe it in the beginning you’re bringing players to them saying, ‘Does this guy fiticon1.png? Does this guy fit?’ As time goes on, you’re coming to him saying, ‘I’ve got a guy for you.’ “

“It is an adjustment, and it is challenging,” Campbell said. “That’s more or less common when a new coaching staff comes in. They’re going to have their own philosophies; especially veteran coaches, they like certain types of players, certain characteristics, certain traits to fit their schemes. The sooner you can give your scouting department direction in terms of the profile you’re looking for, the better off you’re going to be.”

...One of Shanahan’s first actions on the job, along with Haslett and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, was educating Campbell, director of pro personnel Morocco Brown and other scouts about their preferences. They had series of meetings in which they would analyze game film of prospects to highlight certain coveted traits.

“Communication is vital,” Campbell said. “If you can’t communicate what you want, how could you expect someone to be able to go scout players for you? You’re just guessing. I know who I like, but they might not like them — not because they’re not a good football player, but they don’t fit the profile of what they’re looking for.”

Added Shanahan: “We spent a lot of time in the first year through the draft talking about what we were looking for. Over years, they understand what you’re looking for. All of a sudden they see these players play, they look at film and go, ‘OK, now I understand this is what they’re looking for.’ It’s just communication and spending time together. I think it has really helped.”

I understand how the relationship works, I just don't see how it buys Brown a pass. Unless you're trying to say that Shanahan and Haslett are asking for types of players no one else does. Because there are other teams in the NFL that run the same schemes we do. I don't see how Shanahan and Allen could so thoroughly screw up their requests so that Brown is basically forced to find them players that generally end up being bad.

I don't think that team name has anything to do with anything.

I'm also not exactly sure what Dan has done wrong recently.  He's got a good relationship with Griffin.  But I'm not sure that's a bad thing.  You also can't tell me that owners like Pat Bowen and Bob Kraft don't have personal and positive relationships with Peyton and Tom.  

I think it has everything to do with why the team can't move forward as a united front.  Change the team name, get rid of those distractions, and it will give the organization and fanbase the energy it needs to make other necessary changes in order to move forward.  Sometimes change can be good, and I think in this situation it definitely will be.

The team name, it's history and all that will always have a place in the minds and hearts of the old school fans, and quite frankly that is another thread entirely, but in regards to ownership and a plan for the team moving forward, it has to be mentioned. 

I do agree that Snyder has been a more quiet and less involved owner of late, but I still do not trust him to make the right decisions for the long term success of the club.  It all starts at the top and if you dont consistently make the playoffs it's because ownership is not hiring the right people to get it done.

Of course Pat Bowlen and Kraft have great relationships with their star QBs, those guys make the playoffs every year consistently!  And Rg3 is batting 50% so still a young pup as far as his overall career is concerned.

Some other names I've seen in this thread:

L.Smith- No Chance

McDaniels- Haha No

Pioli- No

Jon Gruden- No..Says he isn't interested..Jay has a better shot

Wisenhunt- Would be a shocker

Roman- Don't see it. SF /kap aren't really burning it up

Bevel-Interesting

Shaw-Says he's not interested

So really, of this list you only find Bevel interesting. Do you have another name to add to that list?

Or are you thinking Mike Shanahan stays on board?

I do disagree with you on Roman tho. While yes this year they are not " burning it up", they did last year.

But I am looking at his NFL experience as a whole. He has been around several NFL orginizations, so he is familiar with

what it takes to be a NFL coach, and he has picked up knowledge of different methods to coach and different offensive,

and defensive schemes. 

That knowledge would serve him well in not only assembling a staff, but implementing our offensive and defensive schemes.

I understand how the relationship works, I just don't see how it buys Brown a pass. Unless you're trying to say that Shanahan and Haslett are asking for types of players no one else does. Because there are other teams in the NFL that run the same schemes we do. I don't see how Shanahan and Allen could so thoroughly screw up their requests so that Brown is basically forced to find them players that generally end up being bad.

I think you may have answered your own inquiry.

Mike has the final say on all player acquisitions. If he told them "I want player X, not player Y or Z...I want X." they would have to fall in line and get player X even if they believe player Y is better.

Sure Brown can retort with "Well Mike, let's look at player Y because if this"... However if the stories about Mike's ego are true then the suggestion means dick.

Edit - I'm not trying to bash Mike, in fact I think he's supplied us with some great building blocks in offense.

Added Shanahan: “We spent a lot of time in the first year through the draft talking about what we were looking for. Over years, they understand what you’re looking for. All of a sudden they see these players play, they look at film and go, ‘OK, now I understand this is what they’re looking for.’ It’s just communication and spending time together. I think it has really helped.”

So, it's almost like they are building a team in the FO and it takes some time. Interesting.

I think you may have answered your own inquiry.

Mike has the final say on all player acquisitions. If he told them "I want player X, not player Y or Z...I want X." they would have to fall in line and get player X even if they believe player Y is better.

Sure Brown can retort with "Well Mike, let's look at player Y because if this"... However if the stories about Mike's ego are true then the suggestion means dick.

Edit - I'm not trying to bash Mike, in fact I think he's supplied us with some great building blocks in offense.

He didn't say Mike asks for certain individual players--like, "I want Hankerson". That would invalidate the entire need for scouts in the first place, throughout the process. Shanahan makes the final decision, everyone knows that. But I assume that's from a list the scouting department puts together, otherwise he'd just be picking the guys. Which may be the case. But what LL said was that they give Brown a type of player, a "blueprint" for guys that fit their schemes, and he follows it.

If Shanahan is picking specific players, the failure is on him. But the contention seems to be that the entire TYPE of players Shanahan asks for are wrong--unless he's a complete moron, I don't see how that's possible. Other teams run our schemes as well, and even if Shanahan likes very specific things, are you guys really saying that those players mostly suck through no fault of Brown's at all?

Shanahan asks for whatever he prefers within the strata of "ZBS lineman". Okay. Then every single one sucks and completely fails to ever challenge the incumbent below-average journeyman starter. If Brown is finding these guys based on Shanahan's "wants", how does he not share some blame when he isn't finding impact players within those confines? What is Shanahan asking for that is just so incompetent that it absolves Brown of any responsibility for our drafts?

DG and I each had the thought of him as OC, and Phil Montgomery (OC at Baylor) as QB coach. Would be really excited by that teaming.

The thing that I like a lot is Cam really seems to have really developed as a pro passer under his tutelage. He's not just an athlete who plays QB now, he's a damn good and efficient passer.

Archived