Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

I see alot of folks mentioning Scott Pioli.

But what about A.J. Smith who is already with the team ??

AJ Smith is trash as a gm.  Talk about a cheap ****, I don't think he could function under Snyder.  This is the guy who ran Vincent Jackson out of town and caused multiple players to hold out on him.  And there's a reason SD never signed any free agents of note during his tenure.

But there's the problema -- every 2-4 years, we are like a teenage boy who's growing tired of the current love interest. So, we jump to the next "hot girl," only to find out in 2-4 years that she ain't so hot either!

Be careful what you wish for!

Thank You, I feel the same exact way, we do this every 2-4 years after the honeymoon is over. 

That defense is more a product of ray horton if anything.  If there is a guy I'd make a head coach it would be him or Art Briles.  Leaning towards Briles due to it being an offensive league and his experience with Griffin.

It would be a great hire  !!!!

But there is only a 5 percent chance the Skins could get Briles,

or anybody on his staff.

Art Briles just got extended for 10 years at Baylor.  It's gunna be a while till he comes out, if ever.  A guy I KNOW would turn this thing around and motivate players to play for him is Bill Cowher, but he is likely never leaving his cushy job at CBS.

That, and  Cowher has won a superbowl.

You just know that old red flag about a coach never winning a super bowl with two different teams will be raised.  :rolleyes:

What about someone from the Seattle coaching staff? Their defense is incredible and obviously they are doing a good job with Wilson and if not the SF coaching staff.  I think they skins should have gotten that scruffy looking Ryan defensive coordinator when he was available.

I wasn't in favor of canning Shannahan but his record here is dismal.  At the very least see what he can do with all the cap space and draft picks for his final year and get a d cord.

Art Briles just got extended for 10 years at Baylor.  It's gunna be a while till he comes out, if ever.  A guy I KNOW would turn this thing around and motivate players to play for him is Bill Cowher, but he is likely never leaving his cushy job at CBS.

He was extended a couple weeks ago and Baylor being a private school doesn't have to announce the numbers but from what I've heard the buy-out clause would even make Dan Snyder blush.

Add Eric Mangini to my DC list

He was extended a couple weeks ago and Baylor being a private school doesn't have to announce the numbers but from what I've heard the buy-out clause would even make Dan Snyder blush.

Add Eric Mangini to my DC list

Yes, Mangini has always been my DC choice. Probably doesn't come with McDaniels and Pioli though, bad blood in that New England exit.

True story I used to listen Mangini's pressers when he was with the Browns, great football mind and surprisingly forthright and patient with the press. He would often explain X's and O's.

Maybe time and opportunity.....nah you're prolly right about the bad blood

Yeah, I think he's great. I've been rooting for us to hire him for years (not that I'm not enjoying the Haslett experience....)

We tried the old vet coach with tons of experience, Marty Schottenheimer, and he couldn't fix it. 

I'm sure you remember but in his 1st & only year he took us to an 8-8 record. He was doing what people before & after him couldn't do. It was Snyder's inpatients that got Schottenheimer fired. I'm still confident that had he not been fired he would've turn this thing around.

HTTR!!!

I'm sure you remember but in his 1st & only year he took us to an 8-8 record. He was doing what people before & after him couldn't do. It was Snyder's inpatients that got Schottenheimer fired. I'm still confident that had he not been fired he would've turn this thing around.

HTTR!!!

yep-

But we were not the only ones-

Check out The Marty Schottenheimer Effect:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120665/article/the-marty-schottenheimer-effect

Kinda interesting how things play out in the NFL.

Why is everyone fixated with Gruden. All I can remember is that thread in ATN of some random Bucs fan bumping it everytime they lost and said he's has to go. I'm pretty sure it's locked, but just say no to Gruden. I'd go with a young coordinator like some of you guys mentioned that is ready to become a HC. Also, no defensive minded HC. We can finally score points and that was a huge problem before. 

Been talk about Jon Gruden's brother Jay Gruden.  Sounds kind of interesting to me.  Don't know much about the guy but time will tell soon after Christmas if we will be moving on from Shanahan.  I believe it's time for a change. 

I'd like a Defensive minded head coach this time around.  Lovie Smith sounds good to me.  I think he could infuse some toughness and grit into this defense and get the most out of the players. 

Then for Offensive Coordinator.. I wonder if Kubiak gets canned by Houston, would he be a good fit to advance what Shanahan started?  He is familiar with the WCO zone blocking style Shanahan runs, could keep the same terminology and he is a former QB. If he isn't taxed with all the responsibilites of a head coaching position, he could spend more time with RGIII (then he was able to with Schaub) and help develop him as a player.

Art Briles just got extended for 10 years at Baylor. It's gunna be a while till he comes out, if ever. A guy I KNOW would turn this thing around and motivate players to play for him is Bill Cowher, but he is likely never leaving his cushy job at CBS.

College contracts are easily bought out, especially by a multi-billion dollar business. Baylor knows briles will be poached, they just want something in return. Kelly was signed to Oregon til at least 2016, we see how that turned out.

Skins3000, on 27 Nov 2013 - 03:47 AM, said:snapback.png

Reid brought in 23 players, coaches, and staff members

As LB said this is really misleading that is 23 players including this years draft class and the vast majority of this influx is back ups and role players - The Chiefs sent 6! players to the probowl - when was the last time we had more than 3 and sure they were 2-14 last year but in a kind of Payton Manning less Colts smoke and mirrors bad season they won the division in 2010 and made the playoffs in 2011. 

The idea Reid has gone in and made everything better in one season is bogus ...

The idea someone could come in here and perform a one year miracle could happen but it would be because RGIII came back to form (is it just me or did it not used to be the norm for people to be coming back from an ACL used to be expected to not be the same player for at least 12 months) 

Some of the names being put out there are just mind boggling - As much as I love Russ Grimm he has kind of dropped off the planet since being a hot position coach a couple of years ago and runs a man blocking scheme (5 new starters) and in Arizona was a nightmare - Also in Arizona there was apparently a rift between himself and Wheishunt and they will never work together again ...

I think the Defensive names being thrown out there are interesting and I believe if there is going to be a change it has to be on that side of the ball and I think the DC should be given a degree of autonomy as in the model we ran with Gibbs and Williams ...

But overall Shanahan got us into this dreadful season, I think he should be given a chance to turn it around without the cap penalties and live out his 5 year prediction  and I think this offensive staff have the best chance of turning RGIII back into the 2012 version than people out there ....

Also if he fails then I would much rather give the next guy a clean slate to work from in 2015 with a decent amount of cap space and a full draft to work from ...

Skins3000, on 27 Nov 2013 - 03:47 AM, said:snapback.png

As LB said this is really misleading that is 23 players including this years draft class and the vast majority of this influx is back ups and role players - The Chiefs sent 6! players to the probowl - when was the last time we had more than 3 and sure they were 2-14 last year but in a kind of Payton Manning less Colts smoke and mirrors bad season they won the division in 2010 and made the playoffs in 2011. 

The idea Reid has gone in and made everything better in one season is bogus ...

The idea someone could come in here and perform a one year miracle could happen but it would be because RGIII came back to form (is it just me or did it not used to be the norm for people to be coming back from an ACL used to be expected to not be the same player for at least 12 months) 

Some of the names being put out there are just mind boggling - As much as I love Russ Grimm he has kind of dropped off the planet since being a hot position coach a couple of years ago and runs a man blocking scheme (5 new starters) and in Arizona was a nightmare - Also in Arizona there was apparently a rift between himself and Wheishunt and they will never work together again ...

I think the Defensive names being thrown out there are interesting and I believe if there is going to be a change it has to be on that side of the ball and I think the DC should be given a degree of autonomy as in the model we ran with Gibbs and Williams ...

But overall Shanahan got us into this dreadful season, I think he should be given a chance to turn it around without the cap penalties and live out his 5 year prediction  and I think this offensive staff have the best chance of turning RGIII back into the 2012 version than people out there ....

Also if he fails then I would much rather give the next guy a clean slate to work from in 2015 with a decent amount of cap space and a full draft to work from ...

K.C. is really not my argument, all I was pointing out that K.C. did make some changes and this team had holes to fill but had some solid pieces to mold but let us not kid ourselves, K.C. does not get respect from the media because of their schedule. As to giving Mike Shanahan another year, I would say look at what happen to Houston as an example to what can happen here in D.C.. Houston stinks for many years under Kubiak, makes some marginal steps, then playoffs for two years and now stinks again. Kubiak has been in Houston for 7 years with just two playoff appearances. No thanks. I would stop watching the Skins if they made this same mistake with Shanahan.

I'm now on the David Shaw bandwagon. Here are some reasons why:

1. Shaw is not the prototypical win with a gimmick college coach. He runs a pro style offense in Stanford built around a power run game and a good D.

2. Shaw also doesn't necessarily benefit from top end talent at Stanford to win. Yeah he had Luck, but how many other out of this world type players did Stanford really have? Seems like they win mostly by out executing the opposition, a product of good coaching.

3. We have Chip Kelly in our division, but Shaw's Stanford teams always owned Kelly's Oregon teams even though as I said he didn't necessarily have Oregon's speed and athleticism. Kelly's Eagles are gonna be a pain in the ass for years to come, we need someone who knows how to combat them.

4. Shaw has NFL experience. He was the QB Coach in Oakland in 2001, and a QB and WR coach in Baltimore, so he can coach up NFL players.

5. Shaw learned under Dennis Green and Bill Walsh as a player. This is similar to Jim Harbaugh, who played for the likes of Bo Schembechler and Mike Ditka.

6. Shaw is very young, only 41 years old. Coaching is a young man's game nowadays, and Shaw could be our next Joe Gibbs and coach for 10+ years.

If we did hire Shaw though we'd need a top end personnel guy to bring in the right types of players, and let Shaw just focus on coaching.

Archived