Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deangelo Hall- Retire Him A Redskin Or Let Him Walk?

rumplestilskin

If we could have him back for something like 3 years $25 mil I'd be happy. Not sure if he would take that though. 

$8MM per year?  Im sure he would sign that deal in a heartbeat.

I would think Skins organization would pay him because the cap hit will be gone and the Skins will have room to pay their own players.

I don't think I would go more than $5mil a season and that's only if I have to prevent him from walking. I'd love to have him back.

I don't understand the DHall bashing and I never have. If we are going to judge players by their time in the black hole of Oakland, then we can write off a lot of players. One player whose career was written off in Oakland only to have stellar years after is Randy Moss.

Also, it been discussed before but Hall played well in Atlanta. I don't see how that can be denied. Immaturity caught up to him as did the need to improve the image of the Falcons in the wake of the Vick disaster so he was traded. He wasn't used to his strengths in Oakland and struggled but has played well since being a Redskins even though we overpaid for him when we gave him a contract. The last two years he has played very well though despite awful safety play and been a leader on this team. That is worth something to me.

Lets face it, D-Hall is having his best year as a Redskin and his entire career for that matter. On NFL network last night Deion Sanders said he was playing the best of any corner in the League right now and I don't think its a stretch comment. With his impending contract becoming more expensive by the game the front office will be faced with a big decision on Hall.  I am hoping he will get paid and I have no fear of him pulling a Fat Albert and relaxing after the pay day because "MeAngelo" has matured. Furthermore I think he has at least four more years of elite play in him and would be a good mentor for the emerging Amerson.   I think he is Redskin at heart and should stay Redskin. Thoughts?

He has been very solid this year.  However,  he's at the end of his career, so I wouldn't overpay him.  That's a mistake the prior front offices kept making in the past.  Amerson is the real thing, and I'd like to see Crawford and Minifield get involved as well.

He has been very solid this year. However, he's at the end of his career, so I wouldn't overpay him. That's a mistake the prior front offices kept making in the past. Amerson is the real thing, and I'd like to see Crawford and Minifield get involved as well.

The overpay part is is relative. He's playing like a top corner. His play has improved as we've changed his responsibilities. He seems more mature and obviously enjoys being a Redskin. Let's see what the market says once all these one year deals league-wide come up.

Crawford, Amerson and Minnifield might be able to replace Wilson and/or Biggers, but no way can they (be counted on to) replace Hall's current production.

Crawford, Amerson and Minnifield might be able to replace Wilson and/or Biggers, but no way can they (be counted on to) replace Hall's current production.

I have to agree with this - if Minnifield is ready to replace Hall, they better take him off the practice squad ASAP.  I think the other 31 GMs would like to sign a pro-bowl-quality corner for the league minimum.

Crawford and Minnifield are only being brought up as possible replacements because of wishful thinking and the inability to prove this notion wrong.  But I can't imagine any organization waiving players who they expect to be their starting corners in the future.  Amerson has 4 starts under his belt.  Hopefully, he ends up being a great one, but let's not get delusional quite yet.

It's very possible that the Skins simply will not be able to afford Hall next year.  I wouldn't use last year's free agent cornerback numbers as indicative of what the market will bear for Hall - last year's FA CB market was incredibly weak - the whole group had 3 pro-bowls between them, and no one player had been to more than one PB.  Hall has been to three, and will likely be to 4 after this season.  And contrary to what's been said in this thread, none of his pro-bowl years were in contract years.  He's a very good corner.

from prototype's earlier post: Hall has 42 career interceptions, 9 Defensive TD's. He is 11 picks away from tying Deion Sanders, and 12 from tying Darrell Green for all-time INTs, not to mention he is 4 defensive TD's away from tying the MOST ALL TIME.

Another solid 3-4 years, a pro-bowl birth (or All-Pro?) this year, and we're talking Hall of Fame numbers for his career.

How in four ***** in that underachieving? That is first round production and then some.

He got burned by Eddie Royal? Every CB gets his ass torched a lot. Even the mythical "lockdown" guys. Hall is a playmaker and is one of the best defensive ones in the last decade

Hall of fame and Deangelo Hall in the same sentence? LMAOOOO!!!!! oh my some of you are so fickle, please someone bump some old threads last year when deangelo hall was being BEAT like a drum left and right and people wanted to get rid of him. Now he has 8 solid games and everyone in this thread is in love with the guy?

Deangelo Hall always does this when he wants a big contract, then he gets the contract and goes back to being MeAngelo Hall. Sign the guy to a $2-$4 million a year type contract and if he doesn't want it he can hit the road.

Do you all not remember the countless times he has been beat like a drum in washington? And some people are actually ok with giving him $8 Million a year? hahaha 

I can't wait until he goes back to being Deangelo Hall so I can see the same posters who wanted to lock him up for a $5 - $8 million a year contract, turn on him and pretend they never wanted him. Because so many of you are pretending you always loved Deangelo Hall and never wanted him gone all of a sudden. 

Deangelo Hall always does this when he wants a big contract, then he gets the contract and goes back to being MeAngelo Hall. Sign the guy to a $2-$4 million a year type contract and if he doesn't want it he can hit the road.

I can't wait until he goes back to being Deangelo Hall so I can see the same posters who wanted to lock him up for a $5 - $8 million a year contract, turn on him and pretend they never wanted him. Because so many of you are pretending you always loved Deangelo Hall and never wanted him gone all of a sudden. 

If you're going to keep on using tired plays on names to grind your axe against Hall, try to keep them straight, just saying.

Hall of fame and Deangelo Hall in the same sentence? LMAOOOO!!!!! oh my some of you are so fickle, please someone bump some old threads last year when deangelo hall was being BEAT like a drum left and right and people wanted to get rid of him. Now he has 8 solid games and everyone in this thread is in love with the guy?

Do you all not remember the countless times he has been beat like a drum in washington? And some people are actually ok with giving him $8 Million a year? hahaha 

You really don't do a good job of paying attention...

Everyone acknowledges that he has had his ups and downs here, but has not been the complete and utter clown show that people try to portray him as. What everyone is trying to get you to understand is how has he been as of late? Lately, he's been one of the best players on this team. The secondary has ben garbage for some time now, and because people generally didn't like D Hall from the start, he became the fall guy. Corners get beat. Sometimes, corners get penalties. The bottom line is that he makes this team better.

It isn't about "Loving" Deangelo Hall. It's about recognizing that he is playing his ass off for this organization at the moment. Just because you may or may not like him very much (as a player/person, or both) , doesn't mean that anyone who praises him  is "Pretending to love him." and will go back into Hate Mode if he starts to struggle.

You really don't do a good job of paying attention...

Everyone acknowledges that he has had his ups and downs here, but has not been the complete and utter clown show that people try to portray him as. What everyone is trying to get you to understand is how has he been as of late? Lately, he's been one of the best players on this team. The secondary has ben garbage for some time now, and because people generally didn't like D Hall from the start, he became the fall guy. Corners get beat. Sometimes, corners get penalties. The bottom line is that he makes this team better.

It isn't about "Loving" Deangelo Hall. It's about recognizing that he is playing his ass off for this organization at the moment. Just because you may or may not like him very much (as a player/person, or both) , doesn't mean that anyone who praises him  is "Pretending to love him." and will go back into Hate Mode if he starts to struggle.

And if you read my first post you would see I said we need to resign him but only for $2-$4 million a year, my gripe is for people saying $5-$8 million a year. 

There's people saying he's worth $8 million a year and that is insane because he's not that good and I acknowledged he was having a great year and I can actually pull up a few posts from some of the most tenured posters on this forum who were calling for Hall to be cut 2012 and calling josh wilson our best corner in 2011 but now he deserves $8 million a year because of 8 solid games? 

I too acknowledged he should be resigned for his recent play but for a $2-$4 million a year deal he doesn't deserve $5 - $8 million a year until he can continue playing like he has the past 8 games for 2 or 3 seasons. 

Wasn't he picked up as a free agent after the Raiders cut him?

You're probably right. I just remember gettign him mid season. Thinking back I figured trade but you're probably right

Sign him please. He has EARNED his spot on the roster for THIS team. That being said, he wants to be here, should not take a huge contract to get him signed. He deserves the right to retire a Redskin.

Next question. Has he earned a spot in the ring of honor?

Lets face it, D-Hall is having his best year as a Redskin and his entire career for that matter. On NFL network last night Deion Sanders said he was playing the best of any corner in the League right now and I don't think its a stretch comment. With his impending contract becoming more expensive by the game the front office will be faced with a big decision on Hall.  I am hoping he will get paid and I have no fear of him pulling a Fat Albert and relaxing after the pay day because "MeAngelo" has matured. Furthermore I think he has at least four more years of elite play in him and would be a good mentor for the emerging Amerson.   I think he is Redskin at heart and should stay Redskin. Thoughts?

he better stay

And if you read my first post you would see I said we need to resign him but only for $2-$4 million a year, my gripe is for people saying $5-$8 million a year. 

There's people saying he's worth $8 million a year and that is insane because he's not that good and I acknowledged he was having a great year and I can actually pull up a few posts from some of the most tenured posters on this forum who were calling for Hall to be cut 2012 and calling josh wilson our best corner in 2011 but now he deserves $8 million a year because of 8 solid games? 

I too acknowledged he should be resigned for his recent play but for a $2-$4 million a year deal he doesn't deserve $5 - $8 million a year until he can continue playing like he has the past 8 games for 2 or 3 seasons. 

My issue was you saying that he was an underachiever when you clearly did not know what the hell you were talking about. My post showed you that you were 100% wrong. Smart of you to revert to a strawman argument and get back to the contract stuff.

And for the record, I've always been a D-Hall fan and laughed when fans that did not know wth they were talking about wearing spewing verbal excrement about him. He is what he is and that's a playmaker. Playmakers get burned.

****ing Darrelle Revis has been weak this season. It happens. No cornerback in history has never had a bad year.

Also, you really need to learn how to argue dude. Whether it's the RGIII thread or this one, all you do is call ppl names and question fanhood like a toddler. You're never back anything up with substance.

My issue was you saying that he was an underachiever when you clearly did not know what the hell you were talking about. My post showed you that you were 100% wrong. Smart of you to revert to a strawman argument and get back to the contract stuff.

And for the record, I've always been a D-Hall fan and laughed when fans that did not know wth they were talking about wearing spewing verbal excrement about him. He is what he is and that's a playmaker. Playmakers get burned.

****ing Darrelle Revis has been weak this season. It happens. No cornerback in history has never had a bad year.

Also, you really need to learn how to argue dude. Whether it's the RGIII thread or this one, all you do is call ppl names and question fanhood like a toddler. You're never back anything up with substance.

He has underachieved this is the best year of his entire career. When you are released by a team with "Hall of fame numbers" like you say and you don't get picked up by ANY team what does that say about you as a player? That says i'm right he's been a career underachiever, even he'll admit it, he's come out and said he's been paid very well but hasn't lived up to his pay on several occasions and that is what an underachiever is.

So i'm the bad guy because I call "fans" out for flip flopping left and right? I thought that's what real fans were supposed to do? I have no problem with someone having an opinion on a player but don't change that opinion when the player is playing well (Dhall) or bad (RGIII).

So because I call people who change their opinions left and right fickle that's me name calling? Never knew calling someone fickle was calling someone a name, that's like someone being a Kleptomaniac and you calling him a thief and me turning around and saying "Stop name calling" lol

To me name calling is specifically calling someone stupid or a moron which I don't because someone can't be stupid or a moron when they are giving their Opinion. 

There's no such thing as a "flip flop" when it comes to fanhood.

if a guy plays badly and people are down on him, it's their right to be back up on him when he picks up his game.

We're fans of the team, the players come and go. If they play well, we like them, and it's that simple.

This idea of making up your mind on a guy due to one portion of his career and ignoring what comes after is ridiculously narrow minded.

Do you think that if a guy has a past that is all he ever is?

DeAngelo Hall is proving you wrong right in front of your eyes.

At what point do you make up your mind on a player that you'll never change your opinion no matter what he does?

~Bang

Some of the finer posters on this board are in here and in the Orakpo thread...

Let's just say that they don't have consistent points of view.

Well said, bang.

Good call. I myself have been on both sides of the argument in that thread..  currently down on Orakpo.. but 3 sacks tonight makes him a favorite again.

til next week... ;)

~Bang

Good call. I myself have been on both sides of the argument in that thread..  currently down on Orakpo.. but 3 sacks tonight makes him a favorite again.

til next week... ;)

~Bang

I start the Redskins defense in fantasy for guys like 98 and 23.

I do it because they have the potential to outstanding players.  Both of these guys have been up and down, but I root my hardest for them on gamedays.

Totally agree with the overall theme.  We as fans invest a part of our soul into rooting for these guys, if they don't produce, we get to fill that emptiness with the venom of our choice.

There's no such thing as a "flip flop" when it comes to fanhood.

if a guy plays badly and people are down on him, it's their right to be back up on him when he picks up his game.

We're fans of the team, the players come and go. If they play well, we like them, and it's that simple.

This idea of making up your mind on a guy due to one portion of his career and ignoring what comes after is ridiculously narrow minded.

Do you think that if a guy has a past that is all he ever is?

DeAngelo Hall is proving you wrong right in front of your eyes.

At what point do you make up your mind on a player that you'll never change your opinion no matter what he does?

~Bang

So bashing D.Hall in a prior thread and then turning around saying "you've always been a deangelo hall supporter when others were bashing him" isn't flip flopping? It's just being a fan?

Nothing is wrong on changing your opinion but then don't come out pretending you were always in support of the player that's what irritates me. I've come out multiple times and said Deangelo hall is a bum and he's proving me wrong and i'll admit I was wrong but where are the other posters who were also calling him a bum? all of a sudden everyone always loved D.Hall? that's my point. lol

I saw the same thing with RGIII when he started struggling everyone who was saying how much they loved RGIII and knew we made the right decision in trading for him all of sudden started coming out the wood works calling him a "bum" saying "I told you guys the guy couldn't be a pocket passer" "I told you guys he's arrogant and all about himself" "Trade him while he still has value" "Start Kirk he's better"

All i'm saying is if I see someone flip flop i'm gonna call them out, nothing is wrong with changing your opinion but admit when you were wrong don't pretend you were on the right side of history all along when you weren't.

P.S when I say "you" I don't mean you at all so please don't take it the wrong way. 

I doubted Hall based off metrics and whatnot, but I never disliked him. Also always wondered if better play around him (and better coaching) would make a difference. He's a stud right now and I don't think making more money is likely to change that. Love the fact he went to the great DG (not you DarrellGreenie!) for advice.

It's funny how politics has equated 'changing your mind' (particularly as new data is introduced) with 'flip-flopping'.

Some of the finer posters on this board are in here and in the Orakpo thread...

Let's just say that they don't have consistent points of view.

Well said, bang.

if we lose both Hall and Rak, im not sure who this fan base will chose to vilify on defense next year.

as far as Hall goes, ive been consistently in his corner. He is a game changer, always has been. He is days away from being the youngest corner to get 40 picks, Champ being a few days younger to do it. He is also the only player in history to have more than 4 TDs from FRs and 4TDs from picks. Yes, sometimes hes more on than not, just like pretty much every other player.

Archived