Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deangelo Hall- Retire Him A Redskin Or Let Him Walk?

rumplestilskin

Why on earth should he give us an hometown discount?  This is how he makes money and he'd be silly to take less than what he can get on the open market.  He's been an complete stud this season and we would be foolish to let him walk. 

Why wouldn't he?  I didn't say to pay him vet minimums....but I imagine that our FO will expect a tad bit of a discount as well.  Hall clearly likes to be in Washington, plays well with us, and has made BANK being on the Redskins + a free 8 mil for 7 games with the Raiders.  No team is going to break the bank for Hall next year because of some of his inconsistencies or the potential of him in an Oakland debacle.  If we offer him a long term contract that is good for the team and mutually good for him while being lesser then another team, I think he signs.

One good way to evaluate a player is by assumption of how many of the other 31 teams would be interested in signing him.

And I'm thinking there are prob 27 other teams that would be ringing his agent's phone off the wall.

He's progressed, not regressed, calmed down, and you can see his on-field coaching/ directing on plays.

But it is a weird situation on signing him; maybe some would be wary of giving him a big contract and worry about him under-performing, but on the other hand, giving him a smaller contract with nice incentives may tempt him into trying too hard to make those picks and end up giving up TDs.

They should sit him down and tell him they want him to be a Redskin, and work on a contract that serves both justly.

We obviously need to see how he finishes the year, but he's been playing incredibly well thus far and should be rewarded and kept on board.

One thing I've been reading more and more of is how he is sort of the captain in the secondary back there, barking out orders and reading the offense.  The success has been limited, but that's less on him, and more on the others on the field.  I was reading how yesterday, on that 4th and 2 where Keenan Allen got like 15 yards, he was trying to tell Wilson to cover the outside, which would have possibly stopped that play, but there was a communication problem and Wilson didn't cover the outside (I think they mentioned he went after Gates or something).

Basically, if he keeps doing what he's doing, we should keep him around.  The one concern I would have is his age.  Some CBs (like the great Green) were basically ageless, while others hit a wall around 30.  Hall is right at 30 (his B-day is in two weeks I think), so I'd have to think a little bit about a long contract.

I think a 3 year deal is about right, with perhaps around an 18M pricetag, so 6M per year.  That's right around what Sean Smith got, and unless the market, which deflated somewhat last year, re-inflates, I think that's fair value for his play and age.  We might even pull him in for less, something like 15M/3Y, which is a steal for his current level of play.

I think it's a little early to be discussing the Hall of Fame, Hall still is looked down upon by too many (which isn't necessarily his fault, he might be considered one of the best in the game right now if we still had Taylor back there locking down the deep ball), and raw INTs and INT TDs probably won't overcome that, unless he gets up around 60 INTs and does end up with the most defensive TDs of all time.

Mind you, both of those aren't unreasonable.  At 42 INTs currently, he's averaging about 4 per season, and would get about 15 INTs between the rest of this season and the next three, for around 57 total.  And he's averaging about 1 defensive TD per season, so it's not unreasonable for him to have 12 or so after 2016.  If he manages to stick around for a season after that, or ups his average, then yes, getting in the HOF conversation isn't unreasonable, but he's a few years off still.

Assuming he doesn't ask for a huge contract (which unfortunately he might), I say bring him back. Ever since the 2nd half of last season he has proven that he can shut down good receivers and he plays with passion. Also our best playmaker.

Clearly he isn't Revis. But considering how many teams have multiple talented receivers and the rules are skewed toward them, I think the whole shutdown corner phenomenon is overrated. Seattle supposedly has the best secondary in football, and even Sherman is getting burned up and down the field.... BY TAMPA. If you could get the equivalent of two D Halls as your corners for the proper price, I think that's the most efficient use of cap money.

Our biggest problem is safety. Our safeties have not been serviceable. But from what Haslett and Shanahan have done so far, they appear to have the same idea I described above. Basically get D backs who are reliable but not great, and put your eggs in the pass rush and linebackers basket.

Easy, Talib wants to be here or we could get another CB in the draft like we got Amerson.

Let me ask you a question, if we sign Hall to a big deal and he goes back to being a bum then what? Signing Hall to a big deal because he had 8 good games is foolish, the guy was released and not picked up by ANYBODY yet you want to sign him to a huge deal? HAHAHAHA  :lol:

This guy deserves a huge deal ? WOW vinny ceratto is that you?

To be fair to Hall. He has played incredible since Haslett has used him in press man coverage. We signed him them played him in off coverage which was/is not his strong suite. HE deserves to be re signed.

Edit: And I have bashed the man for years. He has shut me up. 

hall took a paycut to help us out, he is playing lights out and HE LOVES THE REDSKINS, grew up a redskins fan let him retire a redskin...it seems we have all but put to rest the zone schemes we had been running for the past 3 yrs, and simplified things for our cb's and d hall, and sticking with man to man coverage...and its paying dividends...we have to find a way to keep him

Hall has earned his next paycheck.  Pay the man and keep him in DC.  

It sets an extremely poor precedent to not pay the guys in the locker room that have earned it.  Players need to know that if they ball out, they will be taken care of.  There is a difference between paying a guy who earned it in the B&G, and paying a guy who earned it for another team.  Hall is a Redskin.  I hope we do the right thing and give him a good deal.

If the idea of overpaying for Hall makes you squeamish, you better turn your head when Silverback's contract is up.  And Griff won't be too far behind. :)

This is potentially a really big problem.  I only see three solutions:

1) Offer a big contract.  He'll probably want at least four years at $8M, with at least a third of that guaranteed.  Depending upon the guaranteed money, the Skins might want a longer contract.  I know that sounds like a lot, but Revis gets $13M/year (no guarantees), Brandon Carr signed a 5 yr/$50M ($25M guaranteed) with Dallas in 2012, Brandon Flowers signed a 6 yr/$50M contract ($22M guaranteed) in 2011.  He's not going to sign a $4M/yr contract - he's just not.  Personally, I think he'll want more in the range of $10M/year with the bonus prorated.

2) Exclusive Franchise Player.  This would cost at least $11M (all guaranteed) for 2014, and the Skins would be back in the same position in 2015.  Each additional year he's franchised gets him a 20% raise on the previous year.  Because top cornerback salaries are so high, they hardly ever get franchised.

3) Let him walk.  This has a significant problem - getting a quality corner back through free agency will cost as much as keeping Hall; with no first round draft choice, the odds of getting a starting quality cornerback in the second round of the draft are really poor, and the second round pick really could be better spent on the OL.

I know none of the options are good, but this is what happens when you sign a player to a one year contract.  If the player is as talented as Hall is, and puts out, he will be pursued by other teams.  Especially at cornerback.

I'd be happy giving him a three year contract. No more than that. He is getting older and might revert to his old ways. Still think our secondary is weak.

What's up with your sig?

Dude is a true Redskins fan at heart and he's been playing like it. He knows his play, knowing the defense, and being a VA native will work in his favor.

I don't think we are in a position to baulk at a salary in the $8million range. The alternative is to draft another cornerback with one of the top two 2014 picks and only in the very very best case scenario are you going to get equivalent production.

If it were me i'd do both - re-sign Hall and draft a corner in round three.

We definitely should NOT franchise him.  The cornerback market was crazy inflated up until 2012, when it came back down (through what some are alleging was collusion of the franchises not to deal with FA).  In 2012, Carr got 50M/5Y, while in 2013 one of the top FA, Sean Smith, got 18M/3Y.

Putting him on a franchise tag means we'd be paying him at inflated pre-2013 CB market prices, versus a longer contract, where we would likely be paying him at 2013 prices, which are about 3-4M lower per year.

At least, that's how it looks right now.  The market might re-inflate again, but as it stands, I'm doubting Hall will be able to go anywhere and get more than 7M a year, if that, while a franchise tag for a single year is several million higher.

Oh, I think that reason is Raheem Morris. That guy hasn't impressed me at all...

As for DHall, it'd be great to keep him, but I don't see that happening. He'll want the big $ he's deserved by playing well this year...I doubt we could afford it with all of the other pieces we need.

Raheem can only work with what he has (that includes the D-Line).  Judge him next year when we can buy some talent at the skilled positions.   Hopefully he will still be here.  

I wouldnt offer a huge deal. Anyone who thinks that is off base. But he is playing like a top corner and does deserve more than an average corner. It just seems like he is putting it all together at this point in his career. He is easily one of our best players as of right now. He has more touchdowns than half of our offensive players halfway thru the year.

Oh, I think that reason is Raheem Morris. That guy hasn't impressed me at all...

As for DHall, it'd be great to keep him, but I don't see that happening. He'll want the big $ he's deserved by playing well this year...I doubt we could afford it with all of the other pieces we need.

He hasn't? You have an athletically gifted rookie that dropped because he struggled with fundamentals playing at a high level, and an 8 year vet labled an underachiever not only playing the best football of his career but playing at a higher level than all but one or two players at his position in the NFL. You have Jose Gumbs who has limited football experience at Monmouth University contributing along with an off the street free agent in Jordan Pugh. What exactly are you unimpressed by?

WOW a player having a huge year in a contract year, where have we seen this movie played before in this league?!

Hall deserves $2-$4 million a year and that is it nothing more and nothing less, the years he has been here he has been average so he deserves average pay.

We made this mistake before with the contract extension we gave Kory Lichtensteiger and Adam Carriker for the big years they had in "Contract Years" and the results have been poor. If hall doesn't resign with us who cares? there will be other CB available through the draft or free agency i.e Talib. 

So you want to infer that resigning Hall is a Cerrato move but let's review some of the information you have either conveniently left or are just not aware of. You want to call Hall a bonehead but looking back at Talib's off the field record all I can assume is bonehead players don't bother you one bit. Second, you want to talk about Hall playing at a high level because it's a contract year but Talib has also started playing at a much higher level on contract years after he got traded. Stop and ask yourself why he is so crucial to New England's defense and they didn't want to sign him to a long term contract? To summarize, you'd rather pay a career underachieving free agent with real off the field issues that has climbed to the ranks of the elite at his position during two contract years MORE money (He'll be asking for more money than Hall) than a guy who has fought for the Redskins for years and is a leader in the lockeroom. Vinny, is THAT you?

A smart organization would let Hall walk in FA.

I know this sounds crazy, but you don't pay a guy for what he's done. You pay him for what he's gonna do.

With Hall's age, it's unlikely he maintains this level of play in the future. We'll end up stuck overpaying for a guy in the downside of his career.

If we can get him back dirt cheap, fine. Otherwise, let him walk. We have Amerson waiting in the wings to take over anyway.

A smart organization would let Hall walk in FA.

I know this sounds crazy, but you don't pay a guy for what he's done. You pay him for what he's gonna do.

With Hall's age, it's unlikely he maintains this level of play in the future. We'll end up stuck overpaying for a guy in the downside of his career.

If we can get him back dirt cheap, fine. Otherwise, let him walk. We have Amerson waiting in the wings to take over anyway.

A smart organization finds a way to keep its best players, especially the players that are leaders in the lockeroom.

It does sound crazy because no contract is handed out with no past performance in mind, otherwise how the heck do you make a projection about what he's gonna do?

How do you know it's unlikely he maintains this level of play? He's 29, not 34, and he's having his best season. You have no earthly clue what shape his body is in and a CB maintaining a high level of play into his early 30's isn't exactly unheard of.

Amerson and who else? We should have learned from Landry and Rogers that assumptions about how easy it would be to replace players on the upper tier of the roster are very dangerous.

Easy, Talib wants to be here or we could get another CB in the draft like we got Amerson.

Let me ask you a question, if we sign Hall to a big deal and he goes back to being a bum then what? Signing Hall to a big deal because he had 8 good games is foolish, the guy was released and not picked up by ANYBODY yet you want to sign him to a huge deal? HAHAHAHA  :lol:

This guy deserves a huge deal ? WOW vinny ceratto is that you?

Off topic but let the video play to the end and there is a related video of Sherman mic'd up and getting blasted by Trent. I hadnt seen that particular video before (that angle). It put a big smile on my face.

Back to the show. We need to keep Hall. I dont think it will require a huge contract. I have been hard on the guy since he got here but I dont think we can afford to lose him because a.) we would have a hard time replacing his production and b.) he is one of us, a local guy that grew up a Skins fan.

Archived