Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If You Want A Reason To Be Optimistic, Go Over The Schedule For The Next Three Weeks

Forehead

San Diego is our Dallas on Thanksgiving last year ... all  year long we have been pushing back our "must win" game but for  me, this is really it. 

We win this and I think we might give ourselves a chance to pull off a run and finish 8-8. 

At 3-6 last year things we looking real bad, we got a cupcake game with Philly and I know when this Dallas game came up, we all thought we would get crushed. 

Yesterday's 21-7 lead was a microcosm of the tease this team will give us the rest of the year:

San Diego: goes down to wire like Chicago game, we pull it out 31-27 (3-5)

@Minnesota: Garcon has big game, Skins win 30-20, first back-to-back wins of season (4-5)

@Philly: RG3 struggles and whoever Philly's QB is does just enough for a 17-13 Eagles win (4-6)

San Fran: hangover from Philly game continues, SF controls it, 28-20 (4-7)

Giants: Bad Eli. Good RG3.  Redskins, 27-17. (5-7)

KC: Chiefs come of draining victory over Denver and are flat.  Skins, 23-14, playoff talk heats up (6-7)

@Atlanta: Matty Ice plays spoiler.  Falcons, 24-17.  (6-8)

Dallas: Santana Moss catches late 50 yard TD and then gets put in on specials and blocks FG. Skins 28-27 (7-8)

@Giants:  Mara gets the last laugh. Giants 23-20. (7-9)

Shanny given one-year extension into 2015, but 2014 is the put up or shut up year.

haha, good stuff. I'm going to remember this post. I could totally see this happening. Especially the last game, Would be so fitting and so appropriate for this team. 

The one wild card is Robert, he has proven so far to show up in big games, i.e. game 1 last year, Turkey day, last game of the season, so I would bet on our guy winning that last game of the year! 

At this point what makes anyone think we're any better than the Vikings or Philthy? Let alone facing Rivers the form he's in. 

Hail. 

We were saying the exact same things last year after losing to the 1-7 Panthers at home...I'm not saying we are going to go on another incredible 7 game run or even make the playoffs, but we are not going to implode to 4-12 either.

We have a bunch of winnable games--and yes we are better than Philly, New York and Minnesota. Those teams are a much bigger mess than we are.

If you think the play calling, and not just getting away from the run when tied or down 7 with still a **** load of time on the clock, but the dumbass nature of the pass plays called and the damage it afforded our struggling QB, was 'absolutely fine' V_o_R than we have WHOLLY different views on what went down yesterday. 

Hail. 

Yes, we do.

I saw a defense that played as lights out as you can expect. A ST unit that still stinks to high heaven, though they mostly got away with that yesterday.

And I saw an offense that can do 1 thing very well, and 1 thing very badly.  They can run the ball.  Even, at times, when Denver knew that they were going to run, they could run.

But they couldn't pass.  Not at all.  not even a little bit.  And when they called a pass play, it generally failed.  

So, what Denver did in the 3rd quarter is adjust, and dare Griff to beat them with his arm.  He couldn't do it with his legs, and they just said they were going to stuff Morris/Helu, and gamble that Robert could not make them pay for that.

Running into an 8 or 9 man front is stupid.  You're going to lose yardage, be behind the chains, and then have to pass in known passing situations. Which this offense is completely incapable of doing.

Let's go through the sequence that lead to the meltdown:

The setup: It's 7-7.  Manning Fumbles, 'Skins get the ball at the 19, 3 Morris runs, and they are in the end zone.  The big play there was a 14 yard play on 2nd and 6.

Manning then throws and INT returned for a TD.  It's not 21-7. Then he takes them all the way down the field, and it's 14-21.

This is where the game was lost. 

1st and 10 at the 20: Run for 3 yards. 

2nd and 10 at the 23: Short pass to Garcon for 11, Roughing the passer, ball goes to the WSH 49.

1st and 10 at the 49: Morris runs for 1 yard

2nd and 9 at the 50: Morris runs for 2 yards

3rd and 7 at the DEN 38: Incomplete Pass. Rocca punt. to the 17.  

Manning takes them right down the field and ties the game.

(Parenthetical note, Kyle notices that of the previous 5 runs, 1 has gone 14 yards, the rest have gone no more than 3, because Denver has adjusted and crept an extra guy into the box.)

Then the brutal sequence:

'Skins receive the ball at the 20 in a tie game.

1st and 10 at the 20: Play action, incomplete. Had Morgan on a 20+ yard crossing route.  Wide open.

2nd and 10 at the 20: Incomplete to Garcon who was running deep. This was a shot play. They blocked it up, and had Garcon and Robinson running deep. Neither got open.

3rd and 10 at the 20: Incomplete pass to Robinson.  Who had position, but bad throw, and then couldn't make the tough catch.

Punt. 15 yards, giving the ball back to Manning at the 35.

Defense collapses, allows a screen pass for a TD. (Personally, I can't really blame them.  They held down Manning for 2.5 quarters, and they couldn't do it anymore, without some help from offense or ST)

Broncos now lead 28-21.   

'Skins get the ball back at their 20.

1st and 10 at the 20: Pass complete to Reed for 8 yards.

2nd and 2 from the 28: Morris runs for 6 yards, fumbles, but Logan Paulsen recovers the fumble.

1st and 10 from the 34: Strip/sack/Fumble.  Robert held the ball for an eternity on a quick pass pattern, allowing Von Miller to get the ball out. 

Miraculously, the defense holds the Broncos to 3 points, and now the Broncos lead 31-21.

If there was a drive that you can pick on the play-calling. It's this next one.  'Skins get the ball at the 20 again, down 10 with 11:00 on the clock.  Plenty of time.  I think this is where panic set in across the board.  Kyle, Mike, Robert, etc.  Everybody panicked.

1st and 10 at the 20: Pass incomplete to Logan Paulsen, holding on KL, declined.

2nd and 10 at the 20: Sack.

3rd and 19 from the 11: Complete to Garcon for 9 yards.  

Punt. 

Maybe a run here would have been good.  But down 10 on a team you know is going to continue to score, I can see the thought of trying to throw. Also, I think the Broncos basically challenged the 'Skins to throw, putting a bunch of guys in the box,and bringing pressure to stop the run and pressure the passer.  RGIII has not made teams pay this year when they blitz. So they blitz. 

Again, the defense then comes up huge, picks of manning.  Still down 10, now with 8:00 left.

1st and 10 at the WSH 22: Morris run for -4 yards.

2nd and 14 at the 18. Pass intercepted.

And that, ladies and gents is your ballgame.

There are a few places where maybe, in hindsight, you want to do something different. On that critical drive, the second down play, they went deep, and didn't get it.  Maybe you run there, but running had not been working the previous 5 or so attempts.  Kyle was trying to losen the defense by expanding the field.  

Maybe on the drive down 10 they attempt a run on 1st down.

But overall, they were much more committed to the run than the media is giving them credit for.  The Broncos started to stack the box and force them to throw.  And they couldn't. And they had guys open. 

As soon as Manning got his nose out front, there was no way this team was going to come back on him.  The offense scored 14 points. 7 of those was on a 19 yard drive.  The other 7 came from the INT returned for a TD.

This was as bad a QB performance as I've seen in years.  If the QB play was average, I might be more tempted to pick on the play calling.  But it was SO bad, that it's tough to pick on anything but the QB play. 

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you; Griffin stunk to high heaven, and anyone who didn't see it that way is only lying to themselves.

Now, the actual playcalling i'm referring to was how Kyle called it; from ultra-conservative one series to airing it out afterwards. There is plenty of blame to go around to most every player on offense except Morris, but it was from one extreme to the other. One particular formation, the camera angle was from behind, maybe it was a replay, but I watched 2 receivers who were open literately run/veer into coverage, or a place where they had no chance of making a play; as if they were running a clear route; but why would you have 2 of the 3 receivers running this play? The odds of a completion are all but gone.

But yes, Griffin was embarrassing to watch; he looked so much like Campbell that I almost turned the tv off.

See above.  I don't think he went near as "conservative" to airing it out as you think.  That might be the perception, but I don't think the facts really back it up.  

Dallas is starting to crumble. 

Our D  is actually improving. Offense better play calling will soothe a lot of woes. maybe Mike steps back in and takes it over, we get another great win streak to win the division. 

Elk, I respect the heck out of you as a poster, what would you have Mike do differently?  I I just don't know how you can compensate for the QB not being able to read and react.  You can't just abandon the passing game altogether.  So, I just don't know what you do a lot different. 

EDIT: And please, I'm not saying it's time to bench Robert, or play Kirk, or trade anybody for anything.  This game is not a referendum on anybody.  Robert is a second year guy who missed an entire off-season while recovering from reconstructive knee surgery.  He's not the same guy mentally yet. He might be physically back.  But he's not mentally back.  And until he is, he will struggle.  But he's got to keep going out there and taking his lumps. Hopefully he's humble enough to learn from all this, and come back next year (yes, next year) ready to go.  

Simply put, I'd call more of what has actually worked in the pass game, for instance use no huddle more often, early at least, to establish a rhythm, use spread and bunch plays more often because 2 read we don't have WRs getting open a lot and when they do either the OL fails to block or the WR drops the ball or RG makes a bad pass. Exploit it when defenses start blitzing hard and forcing RG3 to beat them with his arm. He actually can if given the right play calls. Tightening the offensive players up in 2 reads isn't working, especially not vs. the blitz. Kyle seems to get tunnel vision in his play calling and the rumblings are the players aren't buying in, Mike is one of the best play callers and I believe could right the ship.

Some of the woes are on RG3, some are on the interior OL, some are on the WRs who just are not effective this season outside of Garcon and Reed, I think a lot of the woes are with play calling, just my opinion though.

Simply put, I'd call more of what has actually worked in the pass game, for instance use no huddle more often, early at least, to establish a rhythm, use spread and bunch plays more often because 2 read we don't have WRs getting open a lot and when they do either the OL fails to block or the WR drops the ball or RG makes a bad pass. Exploit it when defenses start blitzing hard and forcing RG3 to beat them with his arm. He actually can if given the right play calls. Tightening the offensive players up in 2 reads isn't working, especially not vs. the blitz. Kyle seems to get tunnel vision in his play calling and the rumblings are the players aren't buying in, Mike is one of the best play callers and I believe could right the ship.

Some of the woes are on RG3, some are on the interior OL, some are on the WRs who just are not effective this season outside of Garcon and Reed, I think a lot of the woes are with play calling, just my opinion though.

Ok, I can't disagree at all with going "trubo" early and often.

And maybe they could simplify things a bit.  But, honestly, they have to be able to be diverse, and attack the entire field. 

The three play calls I keep going back to were the three at 21-21.  Denver had 10 in the box.  They called a route that got Morgan WIDE OPEN across the middle on a crossing route.  Bad throw.

They called a play that had Morgan and Robinson going deep, and Reed on some type of a crossing route.  Reed was WIDE open.  Throw to a double covered Garcon.

They called a play on 3rd and 10 that got Robinson open enough that the ball hit him in the hands.  Bad throw.  But it was catch-able, so I'm willing to blame Robinson.  

These are things that you have to hit.  They hit on any one of those plays, and they have the ball at mid-field or better.  And who knows.  Now Denver has to at least respect the pass a little bit, and that opens up room for Morris. 

There is plenty of blame to go around.  They could do some different things on play calling.  But sometimes the right play is called, in the right situation, and the play is still not executed.  That's on everybody. Players have to make plays, and coaches have to coach them up. 

Anyone comment on the 1st half?

If we could move the ball at all in the first half of games then our success wouldn't hinge on 2 plays.

There is no way to deny or rationalize away our woeful 1st half performances at one point in the season D.Hall had more points then the offense.

The opening script that they work on all week isn't working.

Against the Broncos we had 7 points in the 1st half 7 points aided by a Denver penalty.

Opening series:

Not one running play in the opening series. Pass (scramble), Pass (incomplete), Pass (scramble)

http://es.redskins.com/topic/372928-kyles-opening-script-vs-broncos-xs-and-os-discussion/?p=9605853

Great post Pho. I honestly think it's possible for this team to go 7-2 down the stretch. The 49ers and Chiefs games will probably be losses, but they are home games so who knows. I think even 6-3 could possiblt get us the division at 8-8. But I agree with others that these next 3 will be the season for us. If we can't win at least 2 out of 3, it's time to look at 2014. If we can win all 3 and are 5-5, the final 6 games will be huge. Definitely not out of this yet.

Chargers is no gimme.  Matter fact, no team is a gimme in the NFL, particularly with this team. 

I really don't understand why so many here mark the Chargers game as an easy win.  The Chargers are decent this year and Rivers is playing well, plus they are coming off a bye week.  They are 4-3, but easily could be 6-1.  It's gonna be a tough game imo.

I really don't understand why so many here mark the Chargers game as an easy win.  The Chargers are decent this year and Rivers is playing well, plus they are coming off a bye week.  They are 4-3, but easily could be 6-1.  It's gonna be a tough game imo.

I think it's a winnable game--but certainly no gimmie. The Chargers are inconsistent--they beat the Colts, but lost to the Raiders and Texans. They allowed Chad Henne to throw for 320 yards.

It's on the road, a 1PM game (historically West Coast teams do not do well in the early games on the East Coast). 

The season can go one of 2 ways.

Positive Finish: (7-9):

San Diego:   Tossup game but the Skins pull it out.  (3-5)

@Minnesota:  A surprising shootout that Skins win. (4-5)

@Philly: We don't always do well there, this time Eagles sweep us for the season. (4-6)

San Fran: They crush us.  (4-7)

Giants: Skins win this one. (5-7)

KC:  Chiefs defense shuts us down.  (5-8)

@Atlanta:  We win on the road againsto Matty Ice.  (6-8)

Dallas:  We avenge for earlier in the season and win. (7-8)

@Giants:  Giants deflate any talk of Playoffs for the Skins. (7-9)

Boys win the East at 8-8.  A period of time goes by with no word from Danny and it starts to look like Shanny gets the ax.  Danny after 2 weeks finally speaks and says that Mike will return for his final season but he will not be getting an extension.  The extension will be

determined on how the Redskins play in 2014.  Shanny returns but is on the hot seat for 2014.

Negative Finish: (4-12:

San Diego:   Tossup game but the Skins lose to the Chargers. Shanny is on hot seat again.   (2-6)

@Minnesota:  Short week. A surprising shootout that the Skins loose. (2-7)

Rumors start flying after Vikings game that Shanny and Kyle  will be fired the next day.  Those rumors

prove to be false.

@Philly: We don't always do well there, this time Eagles sweep us for the season. (2-8)

Reports start coming out that Dan has already made the decision to fire Shanny after the season ends.

San Fran: They crush us.  (2-9)

Before the MNF game, people see Snyder talking alot to Jon Gruden. Rumors abound that Gruden has

already been hired as the next coach.

Giants: Skins end 5 game losing streak with a win.This game is flexed out of SNF. (3-9)

KC:  Chiefs defense shuts us down.  (3-10)

Danny refuses to give vote of confidence and promises fans there will be changes at the end of the year.

@Atlanta:  We lose on the road againsto Matty Ice.  (3-11)

Dallas:  We avenge for earlier in the season and win. (4-11)

@Giants:  Giants beat us.. (4-12)

Pregame reports before the Giants game say Shanny has already been informed by Snyder, that he will fired after the Giants game. The reports say Jon Gruden is the favorite to the land the job.

Shanny does get fired, Jon Gruden gets interview but doesn't become the next Skins coach. The next Skins coach will be someone we are familiar with but noone expects. 

So which way does the season playout?

Ok, I can't disagree at all with going "trubo" early and often.

And maybe they could simplify things a bit.  But, honestly, they have to be able to be diverse, and attack the entire field. 

The three play calls I keep going back to were the three at 21-21.  Denver had 10 in the box.  They called a route that got Morgan WIDE OPEN across the middle on a crossing route.  Bad throw.

They called a play that had Morgan and Robinson going deep, and Reed on some type of a crossing route.  Reed was WIDE open.  Throw to a double covered Garcon.

They called a play on 3rd and 10 that got Robinson open enough that the ball hit him in the hands.  Bad throw.  But it was catch-able, so I'm willing to blame Robinson.  

These are things that you have to hit.  They hit on any one of those plays, and they have the ball at mid-field or better.  And who knows.  Now Denver has to at least respect the pass a little bit, and that opens up room for Morris. 

There is plenty of blame to go around.  They could do some different things on play calling.  But sometimes the right play is called, in the right situation, and the play is still not executed.  That's on everybody. Players have to make plays, and coaches have to coach them up. 

The throw was slightly off to Morgan, but Morgan wasn't fully looking at the ball yet and still got his hands on the ball and it was catchable. Good WRs catch that ball. 2nd play I don't recall well enough to comment, I'd have to see it, 3rd play was all on Robinson and his drops are a reason his play time was limited earlier this season.

I made this comment in another thread, that I watched the Packers game after and even with Jones, Cobb, and Finley out they had WRs making plays on the ball. The TD to Nelson was beautiful placement by Rodgers and he is a phenomenal QB obviously that helps the WRs out, but it's a 2 way street and I saw plays where his WRs were helping him out. I don't see many plays where our WRs help RG3 out. Garcon had a spectacular one today, but 2 INTs were on him (a fall down and then letting up on a route near end of game). GB I saw WRs sliding and extending backward to make catches, I just don't see that kind of effort from our guys. We had this same issue last season leading up to 3-6. Last season play calling change sparked player performance, and I feel the same needs to happen again this season. Next season with cap we need to bring in WRs who give a crap even when the chips are down.

Again, not saying RG3 is free from blame, not at all. He is a 2nd year guy though, missed the offseason work, he does need to step up, but his OL and WRs certainly aren't making his job an easier. 

I agree though with what you seem to say about a lack of consistency on offense and all are accountable for it. 

I'm going to be optimistic because I've been a Skins fan all my life and I don't like to give up on my team.

I think what the biggest problem is right now is that RGIII is having trouble playing without thinking too much. Three easier teams will go a long way to getting him back into a more natural rhythm. It will boost his confidence. He will get back some of the comfort he's missing this year.

We should win 2 or 3 of the next 3. Over the course of those games, Robert should settle down quite a bit. If that happens, and I'm optimistic it will, we could be in for a division title run.

HTTR.

The throw was slightly off to Morgan, but Morgan wasn't fully looking at the ball yet and still got his hands on the ball and it was catchable. Good WRs catch that ball. 2nd play I don't recall well enough to comment, I'd have to see it, 3rd play was all on Robinson and his drops are a reason his play time was limited earlier this season.

I made this comment in another thread, that I watched the Packers game after and even with Jones, Cobb, and Finley out they had WRs making plays on the ball. The TD to Nelson was beautiful placement by Rodgers and he is a phenomenal QB obviously that helps the WRs out, but it's a 2 way street and I saw plays where his WRs were helping him out. I don't see many plays where our WRs help RG3 out. Garcon had a spectacular one today, but 2 INTs were on him (a fall down and then letting up on a route near end of game). GB I saw WRs sliding and extending backward to make catches, I just don't see that kind of effort from our guys. We had this same issue last season leading up to 3-6. Last season play calling change sparked player performance, and I feel the same needs to happen again this season. Next season with cap we need to bring in WRs who give a crap even when the chips are down.

Again, not saying RG3 is free from blame, not at all. He is a 2nd year guy though, missed the offseason work, he does need to step up, but his OL and WRs certainly aren't making his job an easier. 

I agree though with what you seem to say about a lack of consistency on offense and all are accountable for it. 

I completely agree with everything you said, though I think that Morgan catch was more on Robert than Morgan.  Yeah, good receivers can catch that ball, but if that's a top-flight QB, 9 times out of 10, with a guy that wide open, it hits him in the gut and he doesn't have a choice but to catch it.

Robinson, yeah, he dropped it, but that throw could have been a ton better.

The WR situation isn't great.  But again, I think it starts with the QB.  There were just too many times when guys were wide open, and didn't get the ball.  

Robert is just off.  Maybe, (hopefully?) he just had a bad game.  But until he proves that he can find the open guy and hit them, it's going to be a long year.

And yes, with cap room next year, they need to bring in a bunch of guys at WR.  Hanks time is up.  3rd round pick who showed flashes and never developed.  Morgan isn't that guy.  They need another stud to go with Garcon, Reed, Morris and Helu.

The 1.5 games behind first place SHOULD give the players some optimism in turning this around. I think beating the Chargers this Sunday would give them that start. Not another 7-0 run, of course (ridiculous), but at least to keep pace with the Cowboys that might end, again, with the NFCE title with the last game. I feel Detroit, San Fran or Seattle will get the WC's. 

The 1.5 games behind first place SHOULD give the players some optimism in turning this around.

You almost get the sense that some keep relying on this.  "Well, our division stinks so we can take as long as we want to get it together."  Sooner or later somebody is going to break out and take control of this division.  It could be the Redskins. 

It could also still be the Giants, who are now on a two game winning streak.  All it is going to take is for somebody to catch fire at the right time.  

I just want to see the offense and defense play good in the same game for once. Is that asking for too much?

As Redskins fans, we all know what's gonna happen. It's the offense's turn to show up and the defense's turn to lay an egg.

You almost get the sense that some keep relying on this.  "Well, our division stinks so we can take as long as we want to get it together."  Sooner or later somebody is going to break out and take control of this division.  It could be the Redskins. 

It could also still be the Giants, who are now on a two game winning streak.  All it is going to take is for somebody to catch fire at the right time.  

The Giants are only on a 2 game win streak because they faced Freeman with 1 week of practice on a new team and then they played the Barkely version of the Eagles and still barely won. Giants are staying in the cellar.

Our team has the talent. If someone told me Kyle was handling the offense more while Mike was focusing with Has to help him on D, I would believe it given the slide the O has taken and the increase in performance the D has made. Now if Has could just learn to better account for scat backs in the flats the D. I feel Mike is going to be focusing in on that O now, at least if I were him that's what I would do.

The throw to Josh Morgan was not 5 yards behind him. Watch the replay, the ball hits his hands.  Yes, a better throw and Morgan is off to the races perhaps, but this is the NFL, you make those catches at this level.  Perhaps, he catches it but because the throw is behind him he falls down and ends up down without a bunch of YAC, and then in the film room the coaches show RGIII that a better throw results in a red zone trip, however people are exaggerating on where that throw landed.  Look around the league, you will see WRs every single game make those kinds of catches up and down their roster, doesn't matter if it is a #1 or #3 WR, same with Aldrick Robinson's drop that went through his hands, and even worse Santana Moss's drop on a perfect throw with no contact at all.  

The next 3 games are all winnable, against teams just as bad and in the Eagles case possibly worse (depending on the QB).  Win those and the team is 5-5 and look out maybe they can go on a run.  I am not optimistic they can win all three because the team hasn't shown they can be consistent yet and winning 3 games in a row is sort of out of the realm of my belief at the moment.  Doesn't mean they can't though.

As I said, I'm not even considering the 49ers or Chiefs games, they probably aren't winnable at this point.

Mark my words. We will beat KC. I've seen enough of them this year living in Missouri, they aren't as good as their record, and we will be fighting for desperation hopes by that point. That's one we will steal, write it on a rock.

Archived