Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If You Want A Reason To Be Optimistic, Go Over The Schedule For The Next Three Weeks

Forehead

The Checklist

Washington over San Diego (GREAT SUCCESS!)

Oakland over Philly (Miserable Fail)

Minnesota over Dallas (longshot) This is being marked blue because I'm unhappy about the result but it wasn't unexpected.

Washington over Minnesota (Aw Dammit!)

Oakland over the New York Giants (This sucked too)

Green Bay over Philly (Okay really...this is getting to snakebitten territory.)

New Orleans over Dallas (This made the weekend salvageable, everything else sucked.)

Washington over Philly

Green Bay over New York Giants

Man, coming to this place is tough after games.  A lot of ****ing, some good analysis washed away by a tide of unresearched and off the cuff opinions, but I suppose folks need to get their anger out somewhere.  Anyway, I'm going to inject a little positivity and then be on my way.  Some might remember a few years ago when I did a comprehensive thread examining schedule strength, future opponents, etc...all to determine the Skins end draft position in a season that had gone downhill.  We wound up 4th and took Trent Williams.

I won't be doing that thread this season because we have no 1st round pick.  Also, our division is so God-awful that we still have a chance of making things interesting.  Keep in mind that we're the only team in the division that has had our bye, so assuming we win, we technically have a game in hand on everyone else.  Or to put it more succinctly, we're only 1 game back in the loss column.

WEEK 9

Week 8 we play the San Diego Chargers.  Philip Rivers looks oddly better without Norv Turner (imagine that) but no one on that team beyond a semi-rejuvenated Antonio Gates really scares me.  They have rookies, no names, and a poor man's Wes Welker on the team.  Their running back, Ryan Matthews, blows.  I know, he was supposed to be the cornerstone of my dynasty fantasy football team when I drafted him a few years ago.  HE. SUCKS.

They pass well and are middle of the pack running. They are middle of the pack defending the run and about as bad as we are in pass defense.  There's no reason why this game shouldn't be competitive, and there's even less reason why a semi-competent Griffin shouldn't move the ball.  They have the same number of sacks we do, but at least we have a guy like Kerrigan who consistently causes havoc each game.  Their leading sack guy has three; they have a bunch of guys with two or three.  Hell, they only have three interceptions.  There is nothing scary about the Chargers unless Eric Weddle makes you wet the bed.

On the other hand, the Giants are on bye (gives us a chance to solidify the one game lead).  Philly is playing Oakland.  At the beginning of the year, I would have handed Philly the win.  No Terrelle Pryor is a legitimate dual threat, Philly is beginning the Matt Barkley era, and Desean Jackson just quit on the team for the 32nd time.  They may very well lose this game.

Dallas is playing Minnesota.  We're probably not getting help.

Week 10

So week 10, we play Minnesota on Thursday night.  Both teams will be on short rest.  Guess what folks.  Minnesota is freaking terrible.  They're probably coming into this game 1-7, they have no idea who is taking the reins of the Ponder-Freeman-Cassel carousel.  They can't pass the ball, they're 28th in the league.  They can't defend it either, they're 29th against.  Rushing, they're 17th, and 21st against.  I know our defense hasn't been great, but our offense has generally moved the ball this season.  If we don't beat the Vikings, then just forget about it.  Piss on our graves, but we're going to win that game.  You think our secondary is bad?  At least ours is opportunistic.  They have seven interceptions, none by a cornerback.  Four by linebackers and one by a defensive tackle.  The other two by a safety.  They barely get to the QB, Adrian Peterson hasn't been himself (some of that is obvious as to why) and they have a bunch of rookies, castoffs, and charlatans at the other skill positions.  Screw them, we're winning this.

The Giants play Oakland.  I'll admit the Giants don't look as dead as earlier this year, but they still don't look good, even though they're coming off by.  Hopefully Oakland pulls this one out.

Philly plays Green Bay and Dallas plays New Orleans.  I expect them both to get smashed.  This could be a very good week for us, followed up by...

Week 11

10 days of rest to play the plummeting Philadelphia Eagles.  Revenge.  They can't pull their fancy read option stuff with Matt Barkley, LeSean McCoy isn't getting the same running room, their O-line is becoming a sieve, Desean Jackson is a baby, and no one is afraid of Riley Cooper's sheet wearing ass.  Really, this is two straight weeks of no excuses.  Smash them and put them in our rearview mirror.

Dallas is on bye, we should hopefully pick up a game here.  The Giants get to play Green Bay.  I predict a lot of Eli face in that one.

So there you go.  If it breaks right, we're 5-5 after week 11.  The Eagles could very likely be 3-8 at this point and absolutely done.  Even if you give the Giants the Raiders game, they;d be at 3-7, two games behind us, with us getting two shots at their old, decrepit sacks of skin.

That just leaves the Cowboys.  Give them the Minnesota game.  I predict Brees will unload on their secondary.  Guess where that puts them....tied with us at 5-5 for the division lead.

And for what it's worth, you can go one more game out if you want, because Philly has their bye Week 12.  We're playing the 49ers and probably won't win the way we're currently set up.  But Dallas and the Giants play each other, and while I'd hope for a Giants win at this point, the fact is, we'd only be one game back.  Our last five weeks contain one now-terrifying game (The Chiefs, who I didn't even think about pre-season), one game against Dallas, two against the Giants, and a game against the plummeting Falcons.  Seriously....this team gets any semblance of it's **** together, and they could finish 9-7 and very likely could take the division.

Dallas doesn't have easy games to end it's season...besides us they still have to take on Green Bay and travel to Chicago in the last five weeks.  Philly and the Giants should be out of it in three weeks if there is any justice in this world.  It's not going to be easy, but it is damn doable.  Now get out there and fight you dogs!

I think 2 of the next 3 is almost required if you want any type of good feeling during the remainder of the season. Being 4-6 going into our final 6 games is the only way I can see us avoiding 10+ losses. Taking all 3 would certainly put us back into the running (at least for a week or 2). More importantly than that though, it would probably mean that we are playing moderately better on offense.

As I said, I'm not even considering the 49ers or Chiefs games, they probably aren't winnable at this point.  You need Dallas to have at least three losses....they play the Saints, Packers, and Bears over the second half, not to mention the game against us, which we would have to win.  This is very doable.

I still think the Giants and Eagles will have no business being in the conversation within the next three weeks or so.  The only question will be whether we're out of it as well and have handed Dallas the division, or whether we're going to make them earn it.

Agreed 100% with your post.  Things are not that bad off.  We need something to click offensively because the D, IMO, has been playing well enough (kept us in games) since the Detroit game.  Here's what I posted in another thread about the outlook.

The negative: we cannot keep up with high powered offenses with play makers for a full game (GB, Cowboys, Denver, and I'll consider the Eagles 1st game as fitting into that category). 

The positive: we don't have any of those games left outside of Dallas.  ATL is struggling (Julio is out), SF is borderline on match-up ability.  KC is good but can be beaten (this game is setup well for us with having 3 straight division games & Denver 2 of 3 weeks before).  Eagles and Giants should both (well all 3 games) be winnable. 

I can see 3 losses (at worst) on the remaining schedule.  9-7 is not that far fetched.  Dallas has NO, CHI, GB left which you would assume would be 3 losses which would put the 12/22 game as pretty much the game for the division.

Here's to hoping!

As I said, I'm not even considering the 49ers or Chiefs games, they probably aren't winnable at this point.  You need Dallas to have at least three losses....they play the Saints, Packers, and Bears over the second half, not to mention the game against us, which we would have to win.  This is very doable.

I still think the Giants and Eagles will have no business being in the conversation within the next three weeks or so.  The only question will be whether we're out of it as well and have handed Dallas the division, or whether we're going to make them earn it.

I can see your point with the 49ers game, but Chiefs?  Sure they have a great record, but it's hardly because of the offense.  I believe Alex Smith had his first passing TD in like 5 games this Sunday.  Andy Reid is very lucky to have that defense and without it there a 3-5, 4-4 team.  Chiefs are easily beatable.  Green Bay, Broncos, and 49ers are different because if you slip, they will get out to a huge lead beyond repair.  

I think the Chiefs, while playing good, are easily beatable.  They don't put up big numbers so it'll probably be a 23-20 type game one way or the other.  What is in our favor that week is that the 3 weeks leading up to this game the Chiefs play Denver, SD, Denver - 3 division games with 1st place on the line all 3 weeks, along with clinging to HFA and a Bye.

At this point what makes anyone think we're any better than the Vikings or Philthy? Let alone facing Rivers the form he's in. 

Hail. 

All I said was if this team gets their **** together (big if) there is no reason why we shouldn't be in this tooth and nail.  Things set up well for us, they have to take it.  Otherwise, this is just a pump up thread.  Now re-read my OP and run through a wall!

It doesn't matter what the schedule is if the QB play doesn't improve.  

Robert's performance yesterday resembled one of 30 starts by Jason Campbell.  Defense played well enough to win, running game was doing great, but when called on to pass the ball, he held it, got hit, turned the ball over, and missed open guys.

GHH, yes, we're better than Philly (right now) and the Vikings.  And for 2.5-3 quarters, we gave the Broncos all they wanted and more.  

But, when your QB can't find an open guy on a wheel route, on a play that was run last week and scored a TD, or misses a wide open Morgan in the middle of the field for a big gainer, or is consistently late on throws which cause players not to be able to catch in stride and make a move, then you diminish your chances of winning significantly.

If the 'Skins had somehow pulled that game out, it would have been in spite of atrocious, horrendous QB play. 

Now, I don't believe that every game is a referendum, and that Griff should be benched, Mike and Kyle fired, and the team sold and moved to LA. 

But, it's time to call a spade a spade: Griff missing the off-season hurt a ton, he's nowhere near as polished in the passing game as he was last year, the timing is off, he doesn't trust his eyes, and he's playing poorly.  

End of story.  If Romo sits to pee was playing for the 'Skins yesterday, minus a bonehead late game INT, they win that game going away.  With that defensive effort and that running game? An average QB gets 28-35 points, and one of the elites puts up 45+. Griff, right now, is not even average.  

I am curious if RGIII has lost confidence in his arm?  Yea, he threw the ball deep a few times, but no accuracy in them, much less any accuracy in the shorter passes.

The Chargers are no slouches; they beat Indy, and thats no easy task. The Vikings? hmmm; thats a toss-up game there, no sugar coating it. 49ers? Thats a loss, unless its a bad weather game.

Bottom line is this; until Kyle learns to call plays to attack weaknesses, and RGIII learns to throw the ball and scan the field, it will be a long season.

Bottom line is this; until Kyle learns to call plays to attack weaknesses, and RGIII learns to throw the ball and scan the field, it will be a long season.

I'm going to keep pointing this out, the incomplete to Morgan, and the bad throw (Then failure to make a tough catch) to Morgan are not examples of the OC calling plays to take advantage of a weakness? 

They had pounded the Broncos into butter with the run game, the Broncos adjusted bringing additional guys up, stuffed 2 runs, and forced a punt.  

Kyle comes on first down, goes play-action, has Morgan WIDE OPEN for 20+ yards, and Griff throws 5 yards behind him.

Apart from "Kyles not teaching him good mechanics", what the hell else is he supposed to do?

They have guys open, they are using the run to set up the pass.  But when you can't take advantage of it, you become one-dimensional.  And that dimension, no matter how good, can always be shut down. (Unless you're Barry Sanders.  But, what he did in Detroit doesn't qualify as human.)

If we get the Eagles without Vick we win.

If Vick plays the whole game, we don't. 

The numbers have my back on that one.

You're probably right, but even if vick starts, the numbers also say he won't finish. 

And playcalling. You forgot the playcalling. 

Hail. 

Play calling yesterday was absolutely fine.  There was nothing wrong with the play calling at all.

Nothing.  Until the game was completely lost.  But when it was competitive, it's exactly how they should have approached it.  

Beat them up with the run, hit them with the play-action.  Change it up and throw on first down sometimes, run on first down sometimes.

They did everything right from a strategy perspective.  Had Morgan open deep. Had Morgan wide-open on a wheel route for a TD. Had Garcon open for a TD.  Had Robinson open deep.

Griff missed every throw and read.  Period.

Morris softened them up.  But, they adjusted, stuffed 3 runs in a row, forced a punt, and then Kyle tried to make them pay for that.  Had guys open. QB missed them.

It's the QB. Not the play calling. 

You're probably right, but even if vick starts, the numbers also say he won't finish. 

We've only knocked him out one time.  That was in McNabb's first game back in Philly.

He came out of that game when Grossman threw 100 ints... but he when VY came in and threw that pick he was right back out there... concussion/bruised ribs/whatever it was and all...

He just beats the heck out of us.

We've only knocked him out one time.  That was in McNabb's first game back in Philly.

He came out of that game when Grossman threw 100 ints... but he when VY came in and threw that pick he was right back out there... concussion/bruised ribs/whatever it was and all...

He just beats the heck out of us.

yeah, but in my positive mindset, I'm going to say that they get to him. ;) 

But, onto my rant for the day, it won't matter if strawberry shortcake is playing QB for them if Griff doesn't improve dramatically.

If you think the play calling, and not just getting away from the run when tied or down 7 with still a **** load of time on the clock, but the dumbass nature of the pass plays called and the damage it afforded our struggling QB, was 'absolutely fine' V_o_R than we have WHOLLY different views on what went down yesterday. 

Hail. 

There is absolutely no reason to believe we're better then the chargers...Yes we're playing at home, but our home field sucks anyways. The chargers are a solid football team, the skins simply aren't. I'd say we're at MINN's level so that isn't a given. Same with the Eagles. They know how to abuse us, and the only way we can stop them is by faking injuries. But...I'll be hopeful and think otherwise. Realistically I see 1-2 coming up over the next 3. 

I don't really think people view us as a long shot mathematically, we realy aren't, the division sucks. But when you go with the ole "eyeball test" is hard to fathom any kind of run with the "ennie meanie minie moe which phase(s) is going to suck this week" game we play. The most disconcerting of it all is Griffin's very poor play from within the pocket. The other phases can be a dumpter fire but if Griff plays well we will be in it...we will lose the rest of our games though if Griffin/the offense plays like it did last week. Then we will have depressing questions for the future on top it.

[rant:Engage ] Ughhh being a skins fan can be so emotionally draining.. I am completely apathetic to professional football right now. Why couldn't we have looked like a competent team that went down swining against the broncos? Why did we have to look like an embarassing freaking mess.. good thing is ESPN thinks Peyton = God so they just talked about how "surgical" he was and how dominant the Broncos were instead of how we completely unraveled. [end rant]

If we could ever actually get all three facets of the game playing well at the same time for once, this team could actually do something.  

Every week it's something different.  Special teams two weeks ago.  Defense last week.  Offense yesterday.

Combine the Offensive output against the Bears, with the defensive and special teams effort yesterday...you have a team that could do some damage.  The Redskins are going to  have to put it all together to get on a roll.  

Forget "optimism"--- like PJ said, that went bye bye for me like 20 years ago. I haven't been "confident" in the Redskins since before I had my driver's license.

But what I look for instead are glimmers of hope to make the season interesting.

If we win two of the next three, we would likely be in a decent position at 4-6 to make a late run. If we win all three, we'd be in great portion, and heck, might even be in first place at that point.

I don't count us out of the Niners or Chiefs games because if we are playing better at that point and if we've won two or three heading into those games, they become games we can steal.

Two out of three would work for me to keep me engaged for that Niners game. Doesn't matter which two we win, although technically losing to SD and beating the Vikes and Eagles would be best.

I've thought all along we'd beat SD (I said all along we'd beat Chocago as well) and I will stick to it, although I will admit I am shaky on it now because I thought the offense would be clicking at this point and it's still all over the place.

But I'll say we beat the Chargers and split the following two.

Archived