Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kyle's Opening Script Vs Broncos (X's And O's Discussion)

darrelgreenie

Coach_Clips17_original.png?1382520646

Reed would execute a quick inside break to beat Wright off the line. Once he reached the middle of the field, behind the linebackers, Reed would break back to the outside, across the face of Conte. Once the ball was snapped, Reed's speed easily took him beyond Wright. His initial inside break also got Conte turned the wrong way. 

Can run a similar play with the two WR's as described by M4thahall. 

BR had a great breakdown on Reeds breakout performance.... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1821644-breaking-down-jordan-reeds-breakout-performance-for-the-washington-redskins

This thread is full of guys thinking they are smarter then Kyle is.  However I don't have anything more intelligent to add lol.

So carry on carrying on fellas.

That's what you got out of this? I'm baffled by that, I don't see that, I see guys discussing ideas and plays with more knowledge than the average fan, where is this second guessing Kyle coming from? Just kicking plays around?

This thread is full of guys thinking they are smarter then Kyle is.  However I don't have anything more intelligent to add lol.

Nah, it's full of people talking football - we understand our phone is not going to ring with an offer of a job as an NFL OC but it's an interesting discussion. Which is sort of what Internet message boards are for.

The next time you add something intelligent to this thread will be the first time.

-Cheers

Exactly what I am thinking, use the pass to set up the runs on first down. Love the idea of bootleg sweeps especially as a change with Helu vs. Morris, but I think Morris can run them as well, thanks Monk4thahall for posting all the detailed pics of those plays, really enjoyed reading that. 

My fear with 'coming out passing' is that even the best pass plays are less efficient then a running play. And early in the game I want to ahead of the sticks, i want to increase my chances of sustaining offense. An incomplete pass early would put us off schedule/behind the sticks and I want to avoid that especially on the opening drive.

We are a running team and imo we need to embrace that.

I'm not sure what you mean by bootleg sweep?

The next time you add something intelligent to this thread will be the first time.

-Cheers

My fear with 'coming out passing' is that even the best pass plays are less efficient then a running play. And early in the game I want to ahead of the sticks, i want to increase my chances of sustaining offense. An incomplete pass early would put us off schedule/behind the sticks and I want to avoid that especially on the opening drive.

We are a running team and imo we need to embrace that.

I'm not sure what you mean by bootleg sweep?

Pretty much Read Option with a pitch, not the triple though, run that enough times and see them creep to line then through the deep ball. 

Kyle has a script for the opening drive?

When did this happen? I can only presume if he does it's akin to a bad soap writer coming up with a completely new script every week that bares little relation to the storyline/ weeks game.

As I tempered last week with, I aren't getting my hopes up on anything until he consistently calls good games consecutively and utilizes ALL the weapons in our arsenal on a consistent basis.

Hail.

Second post in the thread. 

Quoted for MF truth. 

Please, someone, again, straight faced, tell us what a top coordinator he is. 

Hail. 

Shanahan celebrated early, and the game plan from that point forward was terrible.  I have not seen him that happy as a Redskins coach.  And then, nothing.  As a Redskin season ticket holder for 35 years, I hope we can get a coach that can make adjustments and not throw our team and best players under the bus.  I don't think I have ever heard him say that he was bad as a coach.  He was here.  All I saw at the end was him hugging Denver players.  He should go.   

I don't remember one designed run for Griffin today and not many roll out passes. I don't believe our pocket is good enough to not move around and receivers were having a hard to getting open. Why not roll out and have some designed runs. Going deep wasn't the answer yet Kyle called it over and over again.

I think Kyle saw early, like we all did, that the Broncos were going to rush hard from the line and linebackers, and throughout plays.  When we went up by two TDs, the Broncos doubled down.  The Redskins scheme sucked from that point forward.  Shame on the Shanahans.    

When you win games by running repeatedly, and you're running at a 5 YPC clip, you do NOT stop running, period.  Alf HAS to get the ball 20-25 times a game.  17 carried was inexcusable.  Unacceptable.  Kyle, this offense only succeeds with running and bootlegs and rollouts etc.  It has NEVER worked as a traditional downfield offense.

In the offseason, when we upgrade our receiving corps, you can start thinking about a traditional offense, but we have to keep the gameplans we used vs. CHI.  That means RGIII has to at least give the threat of running, we have to pound it 30-40 times a game between Alf and Helu.

Kyle pisses me off so much.

KYLES OPENING SCRIPT:

1st SERIES:

(1) 1st and 10: 1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR

FORMATION: Under center

88.......OT..............OT........86

PASS: Play action, Griffin has time nothing open initially Griffin then avoids pressure and scrambles 4 yard gain

(2) 2nd and 6: 1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR

FORMATION: Pistol

86..........82..............OT.............15

PASS: 6-7 yard Hitch/comeback to 86 on the iso vs their best active CB DCro-broken up

(3) 3rd and 6 TIMEOUT!!!!

(3) 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR

FORMATION: Shotgun trips (L)

85.....88.........OT.................OT............86

PASS: Griffin has time, couldn't see anyone open on the TV feed, scrambles doesn't gain 1st down

Aikman: '~Griffin had time but Denver had excellent coverage this drive'                                                   

Thoughts?

First 2 plays, we come out throwing, but with only 2 passing options in the game, its likely simple coverage for Denver. 

Teams must love when we load up on blocking types 82 15 84 etc because they can still collapse the pocket, and don't really have to account for those 3.

Timeout on the 3rd play from scrimmage is on coaching. It is just a sign of miscommunication between Robert and Kyle. They are not even on the page to start games. What did Kyle do all week?

Looking at our first 2 plays, the "deception" we need to pass the ball was foiled from the start. With only 2 passing threats, its tough sledding now matter how much play action fools the most gullible LB. 

KYLES OPENING SCRIPT:

1st SERIES:

(1) 1st and 10: 1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR

FORMATION: Under center

88.......OT..............OT........86

PASS: Play action, Griffin has time nothing open initially Griffin then avoids pressure and scrambles 4 yard gain

(2) 2nd and 6: 1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR

FORMATION: Pistol

86..........82..............OT.............15

PASS: 6-7 yard Hitch/comeback to 86 on the iso vs their best active CB DCro-broken up

(3) 3rd and 6 TIMEOUT!!!!

(3) 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR

FORMATION: Shotgun trips (L)

85.....88.........OT.................OT............86

PASS: Griffin has time, couldn't see anyone open on the TV feed, scrambles doesn't gain 1st down

Aikman: '~Griffin had time but Denver had excellent coverage this drive'                                                   

Thoughts?

Is it the playcalling more so?

I think Kyle's script in the first series is a solid indication into his game plan: pass.

I've always said the Kyle runs a low efficiency offense.

And the playcalling was indicative of that.

Only 1 high percentage pass and even that one was against a questionable match-up TE vs CB.

Why run a hitch against their best CB in man coverage? Why not call a slant/drag and let Reed use his body?

Not one called run in the opening series.

Why run play action from a formation the defense has never seen? The defense needs to believe you're gonna run to sell it so if you're gonna use play action you may as well use a base run formation that they've seen on tape.

Denver's defense was all over our passing offense from the very 1st snap.

1st play who is open? Only a 2 man route LBs have a wall in front of Reed looking back at Griff

The deep route is double covered

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXwNZxECUAEdW5H.jpg:large

You throw to Reed and let him try and get past the CB 1 on 1, if he gets past that tackle then he's got at least 20-30 yards of open field to get us to mid field.  If he gets tackled then it's a gain of at least 5.  The CB was standing too tall and flat with his back turned too much to make a break and play on that.

It appears he is looking to the other side of the field, and the pressure is closing in.

Kyle wants to pass. If you don't know, you now know.  He showed up in Denver, a perfect place to run and keep Peyton cold, and was pass happy.  He tested the waters great, but dare I think his play calls sucked. The D appeared ready for him to pass. Regardless if I am right or wrong, we were 3 and out. It failed.

I think darrelgreenie makes a great point. His passing offense is just not efficient.  If we did show a new formation, they had their guard up. PA surprised no one since they smelled a rat.

Seeing as our deep post is ALWAYS doubled, there must be some play design that easily burns it. Maybe a deep out after the corner turns his hips inside; the deliberate underthrown ball, or have a 2nd deep option to make that safety think. Our guy in the center of the field behind the backers, let him find the void behind our deep post, an out behind the corner turned deep.

The corner plays the outside and our WR runs right into the double; Robert often throws it anyways, since it's likely his only chance all game, and usually just throws it away.  I hope Kyle is giving our WR option routes, and not "keeping it simple for Robert" and making them run right into double teams.

Sorry not Reed, whoever is going out right halfway between the hashes and sideline?  Morgan maybe? I can't tell, camera shot is too far out.

I think that's Helu. Many of Kyles reads are deep to short. So Griff is likely reading Garcon to Reed then to the checkdowns. By the time he gets to the checkdowns there is pressure.

Could he go through his reads faster? Maybe but then he might be giving up on a read before it comes open.

But the homerun ball wasn't open. It was a low efficiency way to start a possession.

Maybe the problem is reading deep to short.

Is it common that the approach to reading a defense is static. e.g. ALWAYS deep to short?

With the pressure he is getting WRT being asked to stay in the pocket, that explains a lot to me.

I am no expert but the short stuff, presumed easier to completes, I'd think the DBs have all the time to determine the route and snuff out the play, by the time he reads short. You hear whispers of teams knowing what we are doing. Our stand alone passing offense is ugly.

Common sense would tell me, the short stuff is easier to accurately read sooner, and deep stuff easier to accurately read, later. Is that wrong?

Something major we are doing, defenses have snuffed out. Sorry folks, RG3 has not forgotten how to throw a pass.

I think Kyle is relying to much on the faith that teams will respect the read option play action like last year. Last year we relied on PA heavily and we we're damn good at it.

But this year, it seems that defenses are all over our PA passing game. People talk about defenses stopping the read-option. And I don't think they have. We just haven't made them respect the read-option. Defenses aren't going to respect the QB as a run threat until you know he actually runs. However, it appears defenses are very keyed into our 2 man route PA passing game usually a deep over/deep post route with a u deep crossing underneath (where the receiver can sit like Reed did).

We have plays and concepts that work. Its all about the sequencing. We executed a roll-out the second series for a 1st down, we ran a TE screen for a big gain in the 3rd iirc, that we could have ran in the openeing series. The answers are within the offense. It just needs a little better coordination.

Archived