Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If You Want A Reason To Be Optimistic, Go Over The Schedule For The Next Three Weeks

Forehead

God, why do you people think we play AT Kansas City?? It's at FedEx...come on people,it's not that hard to check the schedule....not directed at you, I've seen a few people say we play in Kansas City when we actually don't

We will beat the Chiefs....our defense will match up well with their offense and we'll run the ball. Put it down as a W.

If the Redskins end up a tie with the Cowboys at the end of the season, with the same divisional wins and losses (of course we would have to beat them here at home), we would probably beat them out by common opponents... yes, by our victory against the Chargers (and hopefully the Chiefs). The Cowboys will probably beat the Raiders and the Bears, but hopefully lose against the Packers. We pretty much have to beat the rest of our divisional opponents. I don't see the Cowboys losing to the Giants, and if they win their last game against the Eagles, it's over. 

If the Redskins end up a tie with the Cowboys at the end of the season, with the same divisional wins and losses (of course we would have to beat them here at home), we would probably beat them out by common opponents... yes, by our victory against the Chargers (and hopefully the Chiefs). The Cowboys will probably beat the Raiders and the Bears, but hopefully lose against the Packers. We pretty much have to beat the rest of our divisional opponents. I don't see the Cowboys losing to the Giants, and if they win their last game against the Eagles, it's over. 

I think conference record comes before common opponents.

If we go 4-2 in the division, we need Dallas to lose to either Philly or New York. 

In common games (non division):

We beat the Chargers, they lost. 

We both lost to Broncos

We both lost to Lions

Common games tie breaker comes before NFC record. 

Edit: In common games between Cowboys and Redskins, both teams are 3-4 so far (12 total games by season's end). 

I think conference record comes before common opponents.

Nope. Week 17 last year we went into the game 7-4 vs NFC (9-6 overall) and Cowboys were 5-6 (8-7).

But if we lost they would have won division despite equal 9-7 records, 4-2 division records, and our NFC record would have been better (7-5 > 6-6)

Nope. Week 17 last year we went into the game 7-4 vs NFC (9-6 overall) and Cowboys were 5-6 (8-7).

But if we lost they would have won division despite equal 9-7 records, 4-2 division records, and our NFC record would have been better (7-5 > 6-6)

You are 100% correct!

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
  1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

I just looked in at the Washington Post and noticed this article from UnWise Mike:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/washington-redskins-fans-stay-medium--win-over-san-diego-was-just-that-one-win/2013/11/04/83d209f4-4581-11e3-a196-3544a03c2351_story.html

Talk about a strawman article. He admittedly cherry-picks pieces of Barry Cofield's post-game quotes to fabricate an opinion that the Redskins are well on their way to winning the division after the win over San Diego. Then, he shoots it down. I'm sure he's not a wealthy man, but I wish I could make a comfortable living doing something that takes no critical thinking.

I just looked in at the Washington Post and noticed this article from UnWise Mike:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/washington-redskins-fans-stay-medium--win-over-san-diego-was-just-that-one-win/2013/11/04/83d209f4-4581-11e3-a196-3544a03c2351_story.html

Talk about a strawman article. He admittedly cherry-picks pieces of Barry Cofield's post-game quotes to fabricate an opinion that the Redskins are well on their way to winning the division after the win over San Diego. Then, he shoots it down. I'm sure he's not a wealthy man, but I wish I could make a comfortable living doing something that takes no critical thinking.

He's awful. I studied journalism in college. The first thing they teach you is "Report the news, don't become the news."

His choice to avoid using "Redskins" is his attempt to become part of the news. 

Correct. However, didn't ponder almost beat us last season at FedEx?

True, but the defense was missing orakpo who's pretty decent against average offensive linemam. I also think our cb's are much better makig plays and shutting down WR's. One other thing Sidney Rice was traded too so we'll see how well they do in the passing game.

If Orakpo can't get after the QB against this line up then he's going to have even a tougher time finding a deal else where.

As per usual, it comes down to our division games.  If we manage to go 4-2 in division, including our two current losses in division, we have a very good chance of pulling off an NFC East title.

Philadelphia has 5 losses, and if we win against them in two weeks, they have a minimum of 6 losses.  Mind you, they have to play the Packers (albeit, without Rodgers, unfortunately) in the meantime, and then have to play Detroit, Chicago, and Dallas.  There is a very good chance they end up with 7 losses.  More importantly, they are currently 2-2 in the division, so if we win, and then win our remaining division games, we win the tiebreaker, which becomes vital if we both end up 9-7, a very real possibility.

The Giants have 6 losses, but we cannot take them lightly at all, and need to take them extremely seriously.  However, if we win our two games there, they're at 8 losses, which likely puts them out of reach.

Dallas has a leg up on the competition as they only have 4 losses at present, but they still have to play New Orleans, Chicago, Green Bay, and then each of their division rivals one more time.  We will likely need Dallas to lose at least 4 more times, since they are currently 3-0 in division, and that gives them a good chance to match us in a "division record" tiebreaker if we beat them the 2nd time around and then both go 9-7.  My hope is that New Orleans beats them big time, and by the time they play Chicago and Green Bay, the teams will have Cutler and Rodgers back respectively, and win those, putting Dallas at 0-3 across those teams.  But we'll see.

BUT, most important RIGHT NOW, is the Minnesota game.  All of this is pointless if we drop that game, so the team needs to be playing at their best on Thursday and get the win.

Aaron Rodgers will miss 3 weeks with a fractured collarbone. Does that mean the Eagles will win next Sunday? Oh and don't worry about the Packers vs the Cowboys. Rodgers will be back by Week 15.

Wallace didn't get any first team reps as we know this past week. Hopefully, with him getting them this week it will make a difference and his will have a better game against the Eagles.:-)

True, but the defense was missing orakpo who's pretty decent against average offensive linemam. I also think our cb's are much better makig plays and shutting down WR's. One other thing Sidney Rice was traded too so we'll see how well they do in the passing game.

Percy Harvin is gone as well.

This is week to week, so the 'Skins have set themselves up in a situation where they go to a 1-6 team with a chance to pull to 1 game below .500.

If they play the way that they played last week, they'll beat the Vikings.  If Robert has a good game, and the defense plays as well as it did, they'll be fine.  Ponder is not Peyton or Rivers.  

The word of the week is TACKLE.  If they allow Peterson to just run up and down the field on them, and don't get him down when they get hands on him, then it's going to be a long week.

From a practical perspective, nothing that happened in GB or Philly or Dallas really matters a damn at the moment.  If the 'Skins can string wins together, everything else will work out.  The key is taking care of your own business and not worrying about the other teams.  Even if Philly wins, we still have the opportunity to play them, and beat them. And you can't tell me they are going to run the table from here on out. 

Be very myopic.  The only thing that matters now is winning in Minnesota.  Everything else will take care of itself.

It might turn out that the Eagles game this year is last year's version of the second Giants game.  They had beaten a bad Philly team, a pretty good though not great Dallas team on a Thursday night to get to 5-6, and then had a Sunday Nighter against the Giants, if I remember correctly.  By beating the Giants, in NY, and getting a division win, and pulling to .500, they basically set themselves up for the rest of the season.

This year it was a little reversed.  They beat the pretty good though not great team on Sunday, get to play a bad Vikings team, and then get the tough division team on the road.  

This is week to week, so the 'Skins have set themselves up in a situation where they go to a 1-6 team with a chance to pull to 1 game below .500.

If they play the way that they played last week, they'll beat the Vikings.  If Robert has a good game, and the defense plays as well as it did, they'll be fine.  Ponder is not Peyton or Rivers.  

The word of the week is TACKLE.  If they allow Peterson to just run up and down the field on them, and don't get him down when they get hands on him, then it's going to be a long week.

From a practical perspective, nothing that happened in GB or Philly or Dallas really matters a damn at the moment.  If the 'Skins can string wins together, everything else will work out.  The key is taking care of your own business and not worrying about the other teams.  Even if Philly wins, we still have the opportunity to play them, and beat them. And you can't tell me they are going to run the table from here on out. 

Be very myopic.  The only thing that matters now is winning in Minnesota.  Everything else will take care of itself.

It might turn out that the Eagles game this year is last year's version of the second Giants game.  They had beaten a bad Philly team, a pretty good though not great Dallas team on a Thursday night to get to 5-6, and then had a Sunday Nighter against the Giants, if I remember correctly.  By beating the Giants, in NY, and getting a division win, and pulling to .500, they basically set themselves up for the rest of the season.

This year it was a little reversed.  They beat the pretty good though not great team on Sunday, get to play a bad Vikings team, and then get the tough division team on the road.  

nope, it was at FedEx Field. first time we played the giants last season was in NY and we lost. 2nd time was in DC which we won 17-16.

Aaron Rodgers will miss 3 weeks with a fractured collarbone. Does that mean the Eagles will win next Sunday? Oh and don't worry about the Packers vs the Cowboys. Rodgers will be back by Week 15.

Cutler is expected to return next week against the Lions. Bet he saw Josh Mcown playing well with his contract being up this season he wants to show out.

Yeah, you're right.  I should have looked that up before I posted.  It was a Sunday Nighter, though, right? At FedEx?

Monday night game. my friend at my school is also from virginia and hes a skins fan, so him and i both watched the game with our 2 giants friends...lets just say, things got....interesting in the 4th quarter.

Well, that's one out of three we've blown. Next up: Philthy. :(

you had to resurrect this thread didn't you...LOL

How pathetic is our division where if we beat the Eagles this Sunday we are right back in it?  Or at least every game afterwords becomes meaningful.  What was the regular season record of the Giants when they won the SB a few years back?  

Please understand I am not even thinking we will go 8-8 let along win this division. Just pointing out how pathetic our division is and we are still with a chance.  We are like that guy standing in line to buy a lotto ticket with his last dollar and hoping to hit it otherwise he is totally bankrupt.

Told ya last week Philly wasnt out of it. They are a far better team then us at this point. 

And yet yesterday they didn't impress me one bit.  They got some very questionable calls, and were playing against a 3rd string QB no one has every heard before.  

We all know GB is as Rodgers goes.  Watch how they spiral out of control now that he is out for a while.  Again not saying we are going to beat them, especially with the skilled players they have on offense and our D totally sucking, but lets not make them more than what they are.  Lucky and average.

Archived