Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If You Want A Reason To Be Optimistic, Go Over The Schedule For The Next Three Weeks

Forehead

The throw to Josh Morgan was not 5 yards behind him. Watch the replay, the ball hits his hands.  Yes, a better throw and Morgan is off to the races perhaps, but this is the NFL, you make those catches at this level.  Perhaps, he catches it but because the throw is behind him he falls down and ends up down without a bunch of YAC, and then in the film room the coaches show RGIII that a better throw results in a red zone trip, however people are exaggerating on where that throw landed.  Look around the league, you will see WRs every single game make those kinds of catches up and down their roster, doesn't matter if it is a #1 or #3 WR, same with Aldrick Robinson's drop that went through his hands, and even worse Santana Moss's drop on a perfect throw with no contact at all.  

Especially when you're getting paid $6 million a year to do so!!

The throw to Josh Morgan was not 5 yards behind him. Watch the replay, the ball hits his hands. Yes, a better throw and Morgan is off to the races perhaps, but this is the NFL, you make those catches at this level. Perhaps, he catches it but because the throw is behind him he falls down and ends up down without a bunch of YAC, and then in the film room the coaches show RGIII that a better throw results in a red zone trip, however people are exaggerating on where that throw landed. Look around the league, you will see WRs every single game make those kinds of catches up and down their roster, doesn't matter if it is a #1 or #3 WR, same with Aldrick Robinson's drop that went through his hands, and even worse Santana Moss's drop on a perfect throw with no contact at all.

The next 3 games are all winnable, against teams just as bad and in the Eagles case possibly worse (depending on the QB). Win those and the team is 5-5 and look out maybe they can go on a run. I am not optimistic they can win all three because the team hasn't shown they can be consistent yet and winning 3 games in a row is sort of out of the realm of my belief at the moment. Doesn't mean they can't though.

Morgan should have caught it to bail out his QB. But it was a bad throw, behind the receiver, who was running away from the ball. He gets a hand on it, but it was a tough catch.

With a guy that wide open, you've got to hit him on stride.

It's emblematic of the overall accuracy issues. Morgan was wide open. But if a guy just has position, and a defender close by, and the ball is not accurate, he doesn't have a chance.

The accuracy has to improve. I think it will. Griff was Mad accurate last year. It'll come back with work and reps.

These threads are always funny. The OP says something like, "look at this stretch of games--we have a solid chance in all three." Then, numerous posters equate that with, "those games are gimmees and we should win them all by 100 points." 

But that's not what dude said. 

And I agree with him--I was optimistic about those games before the Denver game. 

Consider this: three out of our five losses have been @Dallas, @GB, and @Denver. That's a brutal stretch of road games. Yes, we lost to Detroit, but had an excellent chance to win that game, so pardon me for being optimistic that we can hang with the Chargers at home, and no, that doesn't mean I think the game is an "easy win," so please don't twist my words or change what I wrote. 

If the Skins do win their next three, Dallas will probably be 5-5 (loss @NO) and we'll be right in the thick of the race with six games left. 

Finally, as others have said, the most difficult part of the schedule is actually out of the way. ATL is struggling, SF is good but definitely beatable with a spotty passing game, KC is limited offensively, two games vs. the Giants, the Eagles are absolutely terrible now, and Dallas returns to Fedex. Season is definitely far from over and I still believe this team is capable of going on a run and competing for the East. 

2013 isn't 2012, you can't really count on a run like 2012....ever, really, however around this time last year we all probably felt about the same as far as post season possibility.

The difference was RGIII and the offense were kicking butt, and it was the defense sucking.

I guarantee though that at 3-6, every week most of us thought the final nail in the coffin was eventually coming, and it never did.  Now in 2013, the division is a lot worse than in 2012, 8-8 could possibly win it.

Until they are mathematically eliminated there is no reason to give up hope, I guess.

Assuming the Cowboys are the main competition for the division, they have home games vs the Vikings, Raiders, and Eagles.  That alone probably gives them 7 wins.

The rest of the games are @Chicago, @NO, @Giants, @Skins, and at home against the Packers.  If Dallas can cobble one victory out of that group with the three home easier ones mentioned above, they'll be at 8 which might be enough. 

As much as we hate Mara, we really need NY to beat Dallas to give us a shot at having equal divisional play record as the Cowboys. That opening night loss to the Eagles really hurts.  Because I think the most likely scenario is somehow winning this at 8-8......its just tough to see the Skins going 7-2 to end with a winning record (and yes, I know we ran the table last season).

This week should be interesting, do or die game.  the Chargers are clearly the better team this season and has already beat two teams we've lost to.

the defense has improved but still they have had quarters where they fall off the cliff big time, that has to stop.  Playing a good half isn't enough.  and the offense and special teams woes has been documented plenty.  It would be nice among other things if Santana started playing like his old self, right now i think he's maybe the worst slot Wr in the league.   And we got no serious deep threat, Aldrick can run but doesn't get open enough and doesn't have good hands.   

Must win ... this is our first game in Dallas last year. I hope they have the same sense of urgency. 

Robert can pull this off ... he has the cajones.  He's done it before. 

I hope he settles in and leads us to a W! 

Anyone hear Cooley last night?? Man he was breaking down.  Basically said they need to give Robert a stable/simple game plan, get him rolling, into a rhythm.   He specifically mentioned more screens/passes to Helu and Alfred. 

Must win ... this is our first game in Dallas last year. I hope they have the same sense of urgency. 

Robert can pull this off ... he has the cajones.  He's done it before. 

I hope he settles in and leads us to a W! 

Anyone hear Cooley last night?? Man he was breaking down.  Basically said they need to give Robert a stable/simple game plan, get him rolling, into a rhythm.   He specifically mentioned more screens/passes to Helu and Alfred. 

It's probably more like our home Eagles game (though much tougher). The other parallel is the opportunity to go from -3 to -1 in less than a week (Sunday then Thursday games).

It's probably more like our home Eagles game (though much tougher). The other parallel is the opportunity to go from -3 to -1 in less than a week (Sunday then Thursday games).

Yeah, same as last season, we beat the eagles on Sunday at FedEx and then went to Dallas to beat them 4 days later. This time, we gotta beat San Diego at FedEx and then beat the Vikings at their place 4 days later.

Yeah, same as last season, we beat the eagles on Sunday at FedEx and then went to Dallas to beat them 4 days later. This time, we gotta beat San Diego at FedEx and then beat the Vikings at their place 4 days later.

In order to make this a reality, they have to execute on offense, and maintain what they have been doing on defense.

Yep.

On paper, it's flipped. Last year we had the easier of the two games first and at home. That's always nice because you can't start a streak without getting one. This year, we have the tougher opponent at home followed by the trip to the bad team.

Any given Sunday/Thursday and all, but if we do find a way to win on Sunday, I'll be expecting a W four days later and 10 days to get excited about a Philly rematch that might mean something.

Oh, okay, I see what you did there!

yeah, I guess flipped flop because last year the Thursday game was tougher than the Sunday game. 

Man, facing the top rated QB's in back to back weeks ... tough. 

Mark my words. We will beat KC. I've seen enough of them this year living in Missouri, they aren't as good as their record, and we will be fighting for desperation hopes by that point. That's one we will steal, write it on a rock.

I too live in Missouri, and I too, agree.  We're gonna snag that one.  We would lose in arrowhead, but not away from that stadium.

Here's why I'm looking forward to the next month (San Diego, Minnesota, Philadelphia, and San Francisco)...it's a win-win proposition.

The best-case scenario is that we improve our level of play, win 3 of those 4 games, and have a reason to look forward to another December with meaningful games. If we don't and if we are out of the running by 12/1, I believe the rumors will start swirling about the eventual organizational shake-up. I don't want it to come to that, but must admit that I am entertained and captivated when that occurs. I also tend to be very optimistic and hopeful.

So, either we save the season and buy Shanahan another year or we get to start the cycle all over again and dream about what the next staff can do with our Skins.

Here's how I think it plays out:

We lose against San Diego in a game kind of similar to Detroit (play OK but don't do enough)

We beat Minnesota by 10 or so (nothing special)

We beat Philadelphia in a close game (fun game to watch)

We lose to San Francisco by 14 or 17 (it will feel like the Green Bay game where they clearly outplay us, just not quite as bad)

We beat New York at home (defensive game)

We lose to Kansas City (nothing horrible, but probably a 10-point loss here)

We lose to Atlanta in a close game

We beat Dallas in a close game (possibly overtime...another fun one)

We lose to New York on the road

6-10 and all sorts of speculation over the holidays.

San Francisco was embarrassed by Indy in San Francisco.  We beat the Raiders, who beat SD, who beat Indy.  We win over the 49ers.

If we could ever actually get all three facets of the game playing well at the same time for once, this team could actually do something.  

Every week it's something different.  Special teams two weeks ago.  Defense last week.  Offense yesterday.

Combine the Offensive output against the Bears, with the defensive and special teams effort yesterday...you have a team that could do some damage.  The Redskins are going to  have to put it all together to get on a roll.  

This is so true. It's always a different area of the team that kills us. If they put it all together I think we can beat anyone in the league. But for some reason we just can't seem to get in sync. 

And OP, count me in. We're playing for our season now and if we can string together at least a 3-game run, we'd be in really good shape going into the stretch. 

Dangit, I hate to be Debbie downer. But I just can't do it. Should this team ever play up to its potential that only leaves the 9ers and Chief's game as expected losses. While the Chiefs have been rolling you still gotta look at their level of competition. Romo sits to pee could be the best QB they've faced all season thus far. That one came down to seconds and a FG. Don't get me wrong. I'll subconsciously be saying playoffs. But realistically be thinking just finish w/ a major improvements. Not to beat a dead horse. But the team is hamstrung by it's coordinators. Kyle has to go into each game willing to stick w/ the run by leaning more on Morris/Helu. Haz has to kill the soft zone coverage bend but don't break theory. That first half performance by our D showed they're more than capable of playing aggressive. The tackling wasn't an issue when they were allowed to just man up. Rambo,Gumbs, and Pugh looked more confident. I watched that game and thought to myself. Our D goes as Haz calls it. When he attacks the D responds. When he calls those soft cover Ds we all malign the players as atrocious and dead weight. Yes, RGIII has to play better, WRs have to actually catch the ball, and the interior OL needs to put on their big boys pants. But our coordinators need to get their acts together. Kyle has been out coaching himself and trying to get too cute too often.

I really hope that the entire team has had their ear-muffs on this week, because with all of the ridiculousness going on in the media and the fan-base, it could have an affect on the psyche of the team.

They need to come out and play well, and get a win so they can start feeling good about themselves.  A convincing win would be nice.

It strikes me that last year, after starting 3-6, they had the Eagles and then visitied the Cowboys.  Eagles were going to be the easier game, at Dallas is always tough.

This year, they come out with San Diego at home, which is the tougher game, then have @Minn, and should win that game.

So, if they can just pull it together enough to win the San Diego game, they are positioned to at least get to 4-5, and then have a little mini-bye week.  

The only problem is, they were actually playing better offensively in the 3-6 start last year than they are playing right now.  So, they need to figure things out, and figure them out in a hurry.

I think it's possible that they turn it around, and win a couple games in a row, and then take the 12 days off, and come back a little refreshed. 

However, every aspect of their game has to get better.  It starts with coaching. They have to prepare the team better.  They've got to call a better game.  And they've got to keep the team together.

On the field, it starts with Robert.  He can play better.  He has to play better. Whether that's as a running threat or just better in the passing game.  He's got to play a lot better.

But, the receivers have to help him out.  Last year, he managed to erase a lot of the bad stuff that happened around him, because he was spectacular. This year, he's not.  So the same bad stuff is happening, but it's just much more obvious.  Receivers have to make some tough catches, and bail out their QB.  Success breeds success.  We saw that last year.

On defense, they've got to keep on keeping on.  They lack some talent to really be a dominant defense. But, they've been playing better the last few weeks.  They have to keep that up.  Play press-man coverage a lot, force the WR to beat you, and Rivers to make a good throw.  They'll win sometimes, but not all the time.  

And on ST, they just have to find a way to stop the bleeding.  It's a complete mess.  It doesn't matter who the return guys are, the blocking is just awful.  Somebody has to block somebody. Put a hat on a hat and go for it.  

They can win the next 2 games, and probably all three.  However, they really need to play a lot better, or they could just as easily lose all three of those games, and then we're in a real pickle.  

Does everyone have Sunday as a must win or would you all take 2 out of the next 3 right now? I would say this is about as must win as the Bears game was, maybe slightly less with the two game that follow it.... I actually think the Lions game as was mentioned earlier could really hurt us at the end of the season. We had that, but then so did Dallas last week.

Does everyone have Sunday as a must win or would you all take 2 out of the next 3 right now? I would say this is about as must win as the Bears game was, maybe slightly less with the two game that follow it.... I actually think the Lions game as was mentioned earlier could really hurt us at the end of the season. We had that, but then so did Dallas last week.

What's your goal? To make the playoffs? Save the coach's job?

I think 4-6 through 10 games has the team on track to potentially finish strong enough to not need major changes. You could go 7-9 after a 4-6 start. If you want the division/playoffs, I think Sunday is a must-win. I'm not giving this team a realistic shot of making the playoffs though. So, for me personally, I need to see 4-6 going into the SF game.

What's your goal? To make the playoffs? Save the coach's job?

I think 4-6 through 10 games has the team on track to potentially finish strong enough to not need major changes. You could go 7-9 after a 4-6 start. If you want the division/playoffs, I think Sunday is a must-win. I'm not giving this team a realistic shot of making the playoffs though. So, for me personally, I need to see 4-6 going into the SF game.

Playoffs is always my goal.

Archived