Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nfl.com: Brandon Meriweather Suspended For 2 Games

MustangSteve

Of course it's nuts to you, I'm the one making it. I could name a few guys here that, if it was them making it, you'd be all "liking" every post they make, lol. 

Come on, be honest. :lol:

I only disagree with you (heavily by the way) on the direction of the team. I mostly agree with you on player-related things (RGIII and the like)...except here. 

I don't hold grudges with any poster because I'm pretty sure I've disagreed with everyone at some point. Hell, DC9 harassed me for about two pages over my favorite teams but I don't hold it against him.

Let me frame my issue with all of this in a simple way with a simple example. 

A QB lines up and sees the defensive secondary in a Cover 2 shell. He knows that his Y receiver is running a deep in about 10 yards past the LOS in between the Linebackers and Safeties. At the snap, the Safety on the other side of his Y receiver just backs off slightly, but doesn't take a step in one direction or another. The Y receiver beats the LBer covering him and cuts inside towards the Safety. He's open right now, but in order to throw the ball where he's going to be, the Safety will meet him almost instantly after the catch. It'll be close, but hey, big players make big plays and all. 

He throws the ball. Safety reacts to the ball. Safety sees the receiver catch it, but is running full speed at him. He lowers his shoulder to make the hit, aiming for the middle of the receiver, but the receiver then ducks. The result is a blow to the head at full speed that looks horrible. The Y receiver is a smallish receiver like so many other slot receivers are in the NFL, so it looks even more devastating.     

Penalty. 

Who is at fault here? To me, in all honesty, no one. It's friggin football!!!! 

But, if the NFL is going to claim player safety here as the reason behind the rule, then how can anyone judge that the Safety here is the guy to be penalized? How? 

Meriweather needs to really try to stop launching imho. The thing is though receivers are dropping their heads and getting down low. This is just the sport as receivers get down low to use their shoulders to knock off tacklers. Just part of the game. A player can aim for the torso and chest but when that receiver starts to lower the head and shoulders the position of the chest and torso change which equals helmet to helmet. The NFL also has to realize that helmets are going to hit each other in football it will happen.

I only disagree with you (heavily by the way) on the direction of the team. I mostly agree with you on player-related things (RGIII and the like)...except here. 

I don't hold grudges with any poster because I'm pretty sure I've disagreed with everyone at some point. Hell, DC9 harassed me for about two pages over my favorite teams but I don't hold it against him.

Ok, sounds good. I was mostly joking. Mostly.  :P

What was it you told me before? Dueces! *Chris Brown voice*

I'm not arguing that he's "Dirty" nor am I arguing that I like the way the rules have become...

But disliking the rules doesn't change them. Being annoyed with reality doesn't change reality. Wishing that things were different doesn't make it different.

The NFL is not the same as it was 5 years ago, let alone 15 or 25 years ago.

He wraps up and I'd put money on the notion that he wouldn't have been called for a penalty. That's not an indication of thinking he's dirty or not, or an indication of whether or not I like it, but rather my view of the best course of action in the game today.

Here's the thing though, whose really cursing it?

I'm not seeing a lot of people going "YEAH! We like this kind of football now"

What I do see a lot of people doing is going "Look, the rules are what they are and the game is what it is." What happened "10 years ago" is irrelevant. Yeah, I'd be happy with a player of mine doing that 10 years ago because it would've been a positive play for us. I'm UNHAPPY with a player of mine doing that today because it's a NEGATIVE play for us. Do I like the fact that such a thing is now a negative play? Not particularly. But my unhappiness with that doesn't magically change the rules.

If you want your team to prove it's man hood and "pull the skirt down" and play like 10 years ago, then more power to you. Frankly, I would rather not have a team that would be racking up 15 yard penalties for roughing the passer and unnecessary roughness over and over and over again just to prove it's manhood.

Suggesting Brandon Merriweather's hits were against the rules, that his decision making regarding hits is a liability for the team, and his flagrant repeat violation of the rules is problematic is not in any way giving any indication what so ever about the thoughts the poster has about whether such rules should exist, are good for the game, or make things more enjoyable.

Sean Taylor was loved for the big hits that were legal. Sean Taylor caught quite a bit of flack on this forum when he was making big hits, such as late hits out of bounds, that drew flags. Comparing a similar Taylor hit to Merriweather's from today and expecting the same reaction is ridiculous, because it ignores the fact that one today draws a flag which HURTS the team where as Taylor's wouldn't have.

I said the NFL needs to pull its skirt down not the Redskins. I'm going to say this again.....I'm not comparing BM to ST. BM is not even on the same level as ST. But I do believe that ST would have the same issues as far as being penalized as BW. Maybe ST would have adjusted maybe he wouldn't.

Whether I agree with the rules or not, as it stands now the rules are the rules and these are professionals. Play within the rules or you're going to suffer the consequences. If the rules can get changed, AWESOME! But until that point, you have to face reality. When talking about whether those hits were penalties or whether actoin is warranted, our FEELINGS about what the NFL has become or what it "Should" be is irrelevant in my mind. That's not what penalties or league punishments are based off of...not really SHOULD they be.

This sums up my thoughts exactly. I don't like some of the rule changes but understand why the league is making them.

There's still scope within the rules for big hits, it's just that the circumstances and target areas where you can make those hits have changed. Players have to play within the rules as they are now, or it hurts the team, and that is unacceptable.

Merriweather's been disapointing so far this season, maybe two weeks off will give him some focus.

http://www.rotoworld...ball-headlines/

NFL reduced Redskins SS Brandon Meriweather's two-game suspension to one game for illegal hits.

The NFL is never going to teach these players lessons if they keep reducing suspensions. Meriweather is simply lucky he hasn't been suspended indefinitely at this point. He's constantly hitting opposing offensive players with the crown of his helmet. Meriweather will be eligible to return in Week 9. Some combination of Bacarri Rambo, Trenton Robinson, Jose Gumbs, and Jordan Pugh will handle safety duties for the Redskins against the Broncos this weekend. Peyton Manning is locked in as the top quarterback for Week 8.
Oct 23 - 3:46 PM

Who is at fault here? To me, in all honesty, no one. It's friggin football!!!! 

I agree, it's hard to lay blame on any one individual in such a situation there on a personal level. I get you point entirely on the notion of QB's sometimes causing the situation based on where and how they're throwing.

From a rules level though...the Safety is at fault.

It sucks, but that's the reality of it at the moment and DB's are going to have to find a way to adapt unless/until the rule changes.

Those who don't adapt and routinely are in violation of the rule more so than their peers have only themselves to fault if they continue to cost their team yards, cost themselves money, and cost both their playing time.

You're a professional. Part of being a professional is to deal within the workings of your profession, regardless of whether you like them, agree with them, or think they're fair.

Two games was excessive.  Let's hope one of our young guys steps up and seizes an opportunity to shine on Sunday.  I still think we go into Denver and make a game out of it.  Our offense is just getting started.  If we can get a break early and score early, maybe it'll put enough pressure on Peyton where he'll make some bad throws.

Yes, I have been drinking.  A lot. :)

I would like to see what Gumbs can do live.  He hits like a truck.

Meriweather needs to really try to stop launching imho. The thing is though receivers are dropping their heads and getting down low. This is just the sport as receivers get down low to use their shoulders to knock off tacklers. Just part of the game. A player can aim for the torso and chest but when that receiver starts to lower the head and shoulders the position of the chest and torso change which equals helmet to helmet. The NFL also has to realize that helmets are going to hit each other in football it will happen.

I definitely wish the NFL would give their Ref's a bit more leeway regarding "Helmet to helmet" hits. It seems, to my understand, that they're basically told that in situations where the rule applies...if a player is hit in the head, especially if the defender "launches", that a flag should be thrown.

I'd think it'd be an excellent middle ground between reducing head hits, but not majorly impacting the style of game, to amend the rules to suggest targetting the head region to be against the rules and giving the Ref's greater lattitude in situations where it appears to them the player was clearly aiming lower than the head but circumstances caused head to head contact to occur. It would still result in instances where a Ref calls it and players dislike it, but it would at least perhaps allow for some of the close calls to go the other way.

With regards to his suspension being reduced...I had kind of wondered if the NFL went with a sudden jump from "Fine" to "2 game suspension" in this case specifically because they knew it was likely to get downgraded on appeal (as it has the past two times) and figured if they went with 2 games then it'd still at least have a suspension as the end result.

Launching at guys' heads, helmet first, is not "playing hard." Sean Taylor had some dirty hits, of course, but he actually had the ability ti tackle. Just because he hit hard doesn't mean he played dirty. He and Merriweather should stop being compared.

If we're using the "things change" mentality then let's just go ahead and get rid of the name Redskins.  It doesn't matter the roots of it and how it used to be interpreted.  That is essentially what you all are saying.  

This argument makes no sense because with each passing year the word 'Redskins' is further removed from any derogatory meaning and moves closer to it's only real meaning and association today: the name of a professional football team. 

Say what you want about the new rules, I don't even care about the PF penalties. They are open to interpretation in most cases since it can be tough to determine during a full speed tackle. Good, clean players get them. Mistakes happen. 

My issue is with Meriweather constantly lunging at people's heads with his and going for kill shots like the hit in the endzone on Marshall. I'm pretty sure guys in the 70s didn't appreciate their heads being caved in by another player's football helmet. 30 years later, with bigger, stronger and faster players, I'm sure it's still the case. It's playing dirty then and it's playing dirty now to me. I don't care if people were ignorant enough to celebrate it back in the good ole days when men were men.

These are the same people that would have complained that the forward pass was girly and made the game wimpy because a guy didn't have to run through 8 people with a bloody nose to get a first down. 

Last year during the first Eagles game, Griffin just missed getting plastered by somebody (cant remember who) who while Griffin was being tackled by another Eagle, dove headfirst at him in an attempt to knock him out. it was obvious. Curse words and rage spewed all over ES over this Philly trash, that would dare such a malicious and punk move, and rightfully so. I see no difference in the way Meriweather plays. 

We all love smashmouth football. You can play physical, tough, fear instillin smashmouth football without being a reckless dumbass with only one move, to gun headfirst into another player's high upperbody/head area. It's ridiculous, embarrassing and has no place in the NFL. 

Last year during the first Eagles game, Griffin just missed getting plastered by somebody (cant remember who) who while Griffin was being tackled by another Eagle, dove headfirst at him in an attempt to knock him out. it was obvious. Curse words and rage spewed all over ES over this Philly trash, that would dare such a malicious and punk move, and rightfully so. I see no difference in the way Meriweather plays. 

It was Rodgers-Cromartie

Archived