Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nfl.com: Brandon Meriweather Suspended For 2 Games

MustangSteve

Sean Taylor was not a headhunter. He might get flags for defenseless receivers in todays league, but he didn't use his head as a missle to targets other players heads. The reason he was such an effective hard hitter was because he would lower his shoulder into the ball carriers chest to try and dislodge the ball. Never compare Sean's tackling to Merriweathers again. Both hit hard yes, but Taylor actually knew what he was doing.

Go back an look at the hit BW put on Jerffries, he did not launch with his head, he went shoulder first and it just happened that the helmets made a slight contact. It was a vicious hit but in the nfl of 5 years ago it was clean. He didn't launch with his helmet.

I get that he is considered 'dirty' - I just think dirty is a bit much.  I would say undisciplined, reckless, etc. but I view dirty more along intentional things such as Suh, Incognito, Finnegan - the blatant and obvious intent to injure.

The big hitters that were in the league when it was allowed, all of them are having trouble with adjusting.  When you're moving at such a fast pace, a launch up high isn't something that would necessarily be up high if the receiver/back doesn't come down and duck.

I'm not saying that launching is fine, I just think people make too big a deal out of 'head hunting' because their helmets hit.  The offensive player the majority of the time braces for the hit and the first instinct for bracing is to compact yourself which draws your whole upper body down at least a foot.  If the player stays upright as they were before the defender went into his hit then 85% of these hits to the helmet would be to the chest.

Regardless of where you hit the receiver, there's going to be a penalty.  We've seen people hit low on a receiver and it's one of 3 things:  flag/tackle, flag/breakup, flag/broken tackle/big gain.  At least with hitting high, there's a much less chance of having the ball caught and the player continue moving after you bounce off.

If I'm facing a guy 5"-6" taller than me and he is jumping for a ball then I'm going to go up as high as I can because that is the only way to dislodge that ball.  I'm not going to go for your head but I will go for your chest/shoulders/where ever I think that ball is going to end up.  If you come down ducking or lowering and I hit you in the head, that's not my fault - you adjusted after I made my move.

Launching with your head doesn't always mean you're targeting theirs or even looking to hit with your head.  I think the most leverage a smaller guy can have is to use the launch that gives him the most force and adjust during the launch (like Merriweather does on the majority, launches first with his head straight and turns his body as he contacts - granted it doesn't always turn out that way but you can see him turn his shoulders and head as he makes contact on 95% of the hits).

And for the "safeties aren't just big hitters" ones - Merriweather has allowed this defense to really open it up in terms of blitz/coverage packages.  He has good range and improves our defense even though he can be quite reckless.

there's a video of Sean a few pages back.. it's about 5 minutes long.

in it are about 30 penalties that would be called today, including headhunts, helmet to helmet smashes, launches,, really strong rocket launches .. all sorts of things.

Sean played the game like it's supposed to be played, no one is going to disagree with that.

Nowadays they're not allowed to do that, though.

Sean did "thuggish" things, including punching players after plays, shoving guys after plays, harrassing them out of bounds. (Especially TO,, he scared TO to death. i recall one time TZO went deep, nd walking back, Sean just flat slugged him one in the gut. TO yelled for flags.. no one saw it. I was all :D ) IMO that's OK, intimidation is part of the physical nature of the game. if you get flagged for it, so be it. we can gripe about it, but the overall fear the receiver gets might be worth it. we DID see players duck the ball if they even thought he was around. and that was not because he'd show up and give them a daisy. He cleaned their clocks.)

They're removing that. the macho aspect of tghe game is going away. Everyone is supposed to be an automaton with no feelings or swagger.)

He spit on a guy, though and got himself thrown out of a playoff game.

I imagine everyone would be yelling for him to be off the team and saying we don't need garbage like that ...

~Bang

in 2007, we had Sean Taylor, LaRon Landry, Carlos Rogers and Shawn Springs as our secondary. 

We went into New England thinking we had a shot, Sean Taylor had INT's in like 4 straight games (Giants, Packers, Cardinals, Lions) and we thought he'd terrorize Brady. 

With no pass rush, even a great secondary can be torched. 

Exactly, just like a mediocre secondary can look elite with a really good/elite pass rush, which is what we experienced last year.  I love BM, this is a man's sport, if he's looking for the knock-out blow so be it.  That first hit in Sunday's game should not have drawn a personal foul call.  Second one, well, I didn't get to see it since I was at the game and missed it grabbing a beer.  Bottom line, he shouldn't have been suspended imo.

Good.  Tired of him on our team.  You think the F-ING team name is an insult/embarrassing to be associated with?  Employing and playing a guy who constantly launches himself at guy's heads is something that is actually embarrassing/unacceptable in today's NFL.  Brandon thinks it's 1975 except when I turn on Top 40 radio, Led Zeppelin isn't playing.

I hate Martellus Bennett a lot but like what he said about Meriweather.  Something to the point of players need to protect players.  I wonder what his teammates feel about how he launches himself into these guys.  He has no remorse either.  It's pretty bad when fans of the team he plays for don't like him either and think he needs to be gone.  That says a lot.  

and piggybacking off of Bang's post - knowing someone is going to hit you and hit you hard really is an advantage to the defense.  Especially considering our struggling secondary.  Any advantage we can get back there is good.  TO was terrified of ST, ST made players think twice about coming across the middle or anywhere they think he may be.  That caused let up in routes, hesitation, drops, etc.  There's nothing that makes me cringe more than seeing a clean hit (not saying BM's are all the time but they would have been in the past) with a flag following it because the receiver was 'defenseless' - I'd rather see a BM hit than a safety waiting there, allowing him to catch it and then tackling him or going low and having the receiver bounce off of him and run for a bigger gain.

With BM's inability to correct his tackling skills reminded me of when I first tried driving a standard shift car instead of the automatic; it is a challenge at first, but eventually it becomes second nature.

Is Brandon at fault? Probably. Are officials possibly looking at certain players for questionable hits? Probably. The discussion of legal and illegal hits and how the NFL has evolved [ or devolved ] has alot of players second-guessing their tactics; but with players becoming bigger, stronger, and faster, coupled with the ball carrier's moves/protection before a hit, it boils down to judgement by the officials.

Try tackling someone like Gronk or another big physical TE; to get an idea, walk 3 paces away from a brick wall, then run full steam at it; thats how it feels tackling some of these players today because they ARE so big and physical. Its almost impossible to make a clean tackle, especially coming from 10 yds away.

Unless the NFL has receivers wear some form of badge or visible target on a player's uniform,  this will continue; just as RGIII spewed he tries to bait people into hitting him, they're going to keep a close eye on certain players.

I'm not defending BM but i'm not going to blame him for being a product of the NFL. Cheap shots are one thing, but good solid hits, which may be questionable, would have to be reviewed by replay officials to determine whether the hit was legal, and if it gets like that, then the league may as well initiate flag football.

All the folks that want BW out of the leauge won't be able to wait to have him back after you see the difference between him and Rambo in coverage. And as far as missed tackles it's not just BW, the whole defense couldn't tackle for Jack the first 3 weeks, tho they have gotten better last two games.

Why is no one talking about Tillman's hit on RGIII? He ducked his head and launched upwards at Griffin. He did not wrap up but went for the kill shot. The NFL replay guys were laughing saying Griffin deserved it for saying he wanted to draw a flag. But Merriweather gets two flags for illegal hits when both looked legal to me from where I was in the stadium.

And why is no one taking into consideration what Merriweather said about his tackling/illegal hits? To me he is trying to comply and lists every point that the NFL told him to clean up in his post game interview. Are we that close minded to think that he isn't serious about complying? I think that he is legitimately confused. Hell, I'm confused. But let's go ahead and run him out of town eventhough he is a 'Skin and is laying it all on the line to help our team win.

Why is no one talking about Tillman's hit on RGIII? He ducked his head and launched upwards at Griffin. He did not wrap up but went for the kill shot. The NFL replay guys were laughing saying Griffin deserved it for saying he wanted to draw a flag. But Merriweather gets two flags for illegal hits when both looked legal to me from where I was in the stadium.

And why is no one taking into consideration what Merriweather said about his tackling/illegal hits? To me he is trying to comply and lists every point that the NFL told him to clean up in his post game interview. Are we that close minded to think that he isn't serious about complying? I think that he is legitimately confused. Hell, I'm confused. But let's go ahead and run him out of town eventhough he is a 'Skin and is laying it all on the line to help our team win.

If he's so damn confused, maybe he should ask the 90% of the safeties in the league that haven't been fined. 

If you think either hit was legal you are delusional.  Laying it on the line for a grand total of what 5 games?  Please.  Guy is a heat-seeking missile and costs this team and risks the health of his peers.  You're taught to wrap up not launch head first.

I think Josh Wilson explains it well and is along the lines of what I have been saying:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/10/22/darrel-young-defends-brandon-meriweather/

And cornerback Josh Wilson also backed Meriweather during an appearance on the same program.

“A lot of the penalties, and things that people are saying that is dangerous what he’s doing, it’s just because the nature of where the game has turned to,” Wilson said. “Like the [Eddie] Lacy hit, he didn’t hit him in the head. He hit him in the chest and caught a piece of his chin and Lacy was knocked out. I wouldn’t call that a dirty play. That’s a football play that just hit him at the wrong angle….

“The one [sunday] with Jeffery, he hit him clear with his shoulder into Jeffery’s shoulder. Those aren’t dirty hits. He’s wasn’t trying to hurt Jeffery. He hit him way below his helmet. And the one with Brandon Marshall, as a defensive player in the red zone, in the end zone, you don’t have a lot of time to make a decision. And he just tried to knock the ball free and stop a touchdown. And Brandon Marshall curls up. If I have a split second to make a hit, make a ball-dislodging hit, and the player changes the angle of his body, how do I readjust?”

The bolded happens so often.  Even the Starks play where Meriweather got knocked out, he lowers his hit to hit him and would have hit him in the chest but watch Starks in the video below.  With him dipping and countering the hit, it puts the defender at risk then.  That was one rule they implemented in the offseason with runners not being able to go down like that and lead with their helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H2V9YcElvk

Everyone keeps saying wrap up but these plays don't need wrapping up.  With Marshall and Jeffry, you try to dislodge the ball.  With Lacy, he was off balance and wasn't going any further - you try to knock the ball out as it's a perfect opportunity to when the runner is off balance.  With Starks, he's running full steam inches away from the sideline, you don't arm tackle that, you knock the guy out of bounds.  An arm tackle with that would risk him cutting back inside and pushing you aside.

If he's so damn confused, maybe he should ask the 90% of the safeties in the league that haven't been fined. 

There have been 22 fines from safeties this year.

http://www.spotrac.com/fines-tracker/nfl/

when 35% of the players in the position league wide are doing the same, you have to ask if it is the rule or are more than 1/3 of the players just so damn confused

If you think either hit was legal you are delusional.  Laying it on the line for a grand total of what 5 games?  Please.  Guy is a heat-seeking missile and costs this team and risks the health of his peers.  You're taught to wrap up not launch head first.

I get that you don't like Merriweather but at least I can think for myself. Most of you on this board can only parrot what a bunch of know-nothing sportswriters whine about. Compare what Tillman did to RGIII with no flag and then look at the two Merriweather hits and tell me you aren't confused by the inequity of how fouls are metted out.

I'd rather see a BM hit than a safety waiting there, allowing him to catch it and then tackling him or going low and having the receiver bounce off of him and run for a bigger gain.

id rather see meriweather in position to defend the pass instead of being late like he always is.

most fumbles you see in the nfl dont come from big hits, they come from arm tackles where the defender swipes at the ball while wrapping up, the proper way to tackle. big shoulder hits are nice for highlights but usually dont end up knocking the ball out

look at all meriweathers hits this year and he hasn't knocked the ball out once. he hasn't defended any passes. his hits have done nothing for the team except hurt us.

The bolded happens so often.  Even the Starks play where Meriweather got knocked out, he lowers his hit to hit him and would have hit him in the chest but watch Starks in the video below.  With him dipping and countering the hit, it puts the defender at risk then.  That was one rule they implemented in the offseason with runners not being able to go down like that and lead with their helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H2V9YcElvk

After watching that play, I think you could almost give the rb the flag under the "Trent Richardson Rule."

That being said, Merriweather is playing dirty.  I don't care what anyone says.  I'll give you even a couple of them, but that hit against Brandon Marshall should never ever happen.  If it happens once, its a dirty play and you're a dirty player.  That hit was about three steps after Marshall dropped it and then he left his feet, led with his head and went right for Marshall's head.  Dirtiest play you can imagine.

If we were just talking about the Jeffrey hit, I'd say he shouldn't be suspended or even fined.  But we're not.  We're talking about a body of work, and whether he's doing it on purpose or not, he needs to be suspended.

If he gets to play on Sunday I hope he plays the same way, just a little smarter. Sick to death of seeing receivers strolling around in our secondary. You don't hear Bernard Pollard or Dashon Goldson apologizing for anything they're enforcers its their job. Right now we need that attitude in our secondary I hope he plays sunday and lays somebody out.

After watching that play, I think you could almost give the rb the flag under the "Trent Richardson Rule."

That being said, Merriweather is playing dirty. I don't care what anyone says. I'll give you even a couple of them, but that hit against Brandon Marshall should never ever happen. If it happens once, its a dirty play and you're a dirty player. That hit was about three steps after Marshall dropped it and then he left his feet, led with his head and went right for Marshall's head. Dirtiest play you can imagine.

If we were just talking about the Jeffrey hit, I'd say he shouldn't be suspended or even fined. But we're not. We're talking about a body of work, and whether he's doing it on purpose or not, he needs to be suspended.

I get what you're saying and agree to an extent. What happens if he bobbles it and meriweather had stopped? Try running full speed and stopping at the very last second when to see the ball hit off someone's hands. I have no problem with hits if the ball has just hit off a receivers hands. If hits are blatantly to the head then there's no need for it and a suspension should happen. I can't comment in the Marshall play as I haven't seen replay to say my thoughts on it. I just think dirty gets thrown around too loosely and defensive players are strapped from playing how football ha always been played

Please dont make excuses for the dirtiest player in football right now.

And the Tillman hit was a good hit.  RG3 was a runner.  If Alfred Morris got hit like that, no one would be saying a damn thing.

I get what you're saying and agree to an extent. What happens if he bobbles it and meriweather had stopped? Try running full speed and stopping at the very last second when to see the ball hit off someone's hands. I have no problem with hits if the ball has just hit off a receivers hands. If hits are blatantly to the head then there's no need for it and a suspension should happen. I can't comment in the Marshall play as I haven't seen replay to say my thoughts on it. I just think dirty gets thrown around too loosely and defensive players are strapped from playing how football ha always been played

Jeffrey hit was clean. Dude lowered his head as the hit came in so Merriweather caught the lower part of the facemask bar. That should be considered incidental contact but the NFL has pinned itself in a corner with Goodell forcing an extreme stance on the rule as an overreaction to the NFL getting busted covering up concussion evidence in the past.

The Marshall hit was late, real late, even for going full speed. Merriweather had time to pull up.

But I wanted to point out from your earlier post on this page about offensive players putting their helmets down when bracing for a hit. I've seen that a lot this season already. Defenders are trying to adjust at the last second and go lower on hits and offensive players are lowering their shoulders into the hit and their helmets get involved, especially the bars. Some it even looks like they specifically are lowering their helmets down to get the flag. That is a penalty, but it hasn't been enforced hardly at all.

The refs need to be allowed to use actual judgement. If a defender is clearly going for the midsection and the offensive player adjusts by bunching up to shrink the strike zone and moves their helmet into the contact then there shouldn't be a flag. Right now a flag does happen even when its the offensive player who moved their helmet into the hit. If the NFL made it a judgement call instead of taking a hardline stance then maybe this nonsense with penalizing defenders even when they are going for body hits would stop.

Archived