Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nfl.com: Brandon Meriweather Suspended For 2 Games

MustangSteve

This argument makes no sense because with each passing year the word 'Redskins' is further removed from any derogatory meaning and moves closer to it's only real meaning and association today: the name of a professional football team.

Say what you want about the new rules, I don't even care about the PF penalties. They are open to interpretation in most cases since it can be tough to determine during a full speed tackle. Good, clean players get them. Mistakes happen.

My issue is with Meriweather constantly lunging at people's heads with his and going for kill shots like the hit in the endzone on Marshall. I'm pretty sure guys in the 70s didn't appreciate their heads being caved in by another player's football helmet. 30 years later, with bigger, stronger and faster players, I'm sure it's still the case. It's playing dirty then and it's playing dirty now to me. I don't care if people were ignorant enough to celebrate it back in the good ole days when men were men.

These are the same people that would have complained that the forward pass was girly and made the game wimpy because a guy didn't have to run through 8 people with a bloody nose to get a first

I keep seeing "he constantly goes at people heads" yet have seen any true proof of tho consistently outside of 1 hit to heap. I've shown video of Starks, and then you have lacy and Jeffry who both show shrinking and making their upper body smaller lowering themselves into the hit. Sure he lunges, but those lunges wouldn't be helmet contact if the offensive player didn't pull his body down. Watch the replays of those and you'll see, not only with that but a lot if helmet to helmet hits, that most of the fault lies on the one with the ball. Maybe it's just he needs to lunge more parallel but I don't think its that he's dirty. That's the point I'm arguing. I know he needs to adjust his hits because he's got a bullseye on him right now,

As for the redskins name, if the issue was going further away from a derogatory meaning then I doubt that we would see as much publicity on the issue than we have in the last 20+ years so that is a related in a different context

Alot of folks in here have turned into a bunch of panties, 6 years ago it was "oh snap Area 51 no receiver will dare to cross the middle" now it's " OMG!! That merriweather guy is a monster and a thug and I'm ashamed as a fan to have him on the team " funny how things can change so quick.

Take a look at this clips and tell me that the "dirty" hits from Sunday aren't similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvE3I0A0fek

The NFL is getting soft.

Some of them absolutely are similar, save for one important difference...Sean Taylor wasn't playing in a league where they were illegal, so wasn't costing his team. The ones on Sunday were.

However, the video's a great indication of some of the big Sean type hits that absolutely could still happen today and a good indication that he may've had a clear ability to adapt:

:14 seconds in...no launching, just running full force and wrapping

:23 seconds...BIG hit that dislodged the football, with Taylor aiming waist level, with his shoulders hitting around the diaphragm.

:56 two wonderful examples in the run game, both instances clearly hitting mid level and HARD while wrapping up.

1:15 a little hard to see because of resolution, but again a BIG hit without launching but simply continuing to stride with his run, his hit level seemingly at the middle level of the chest rather than the top of the chest. Oh, note to the other poster...he's running pretty damn fast here and still Wraps up.

2:20, again...hit that dislodges a catch that is low enough on the strike zone to leave no doubt there was no helmet to helmet hit, and again an attempt (but fail this time) to wrap

Now there are some in there that ABSOLUTELY would be fines today. And maybe that means the "NFL" is soft. But those are the rules these guys have to play under now, and if they're not playing under them they're hurting this team.

But there are enough instances of BIG hits, many of which that "do the safeties job" and dislodge balls, that are absolutely legal if not picture perfect.

All it does is cement my thought that Sean would have still been a successful big hitter in this modern NFL by adapting. Would he undoubtably still take some penalties? Most likely (just like he wasn't shy of a late hit penalty early on), especially since Safties seem to be MOST likely to get these penalties. But based on what I remember of him, and looking at some of his plays that video highlighted, I definitely think he could've adapted to a point where it wouldn't have been a routine problem or where he'd be averaging one every two games.

Some of them absolutely are similar, save for one important difference...Sean Taylor wasn't playing in a league where they were illegal, so wasn't costing his team. The ones on Sunday were.

However, the video's a great indication of some of the big Sean type hits that absolutely could still happen today and a good indication that he may've had a clear ability to adapt:

:14 seconds in...no launching, just running full force and wrapping

:23 seconds...BIG hit that dislodged the football, with Taylor aiming waist level, with his shoulders hitting around the diaphragm.

:56 two wonderful examples in the run game, both instances clearly hitting mid level and HARD while wrapping up.

1:15 a little hard to see because of resolution, but again a BIG hit without launching but simply continuing to stride with his run, his hit level seemingly at the middle level of the chest rather than the top of the chest. Oh, note to the other poster...he's running pretty damn fast here and still Wraps up.

2:20, again...hit that dislodges a catch that is low enough on the strike zone to leave no doubt there was no helmet to helmet hit, and again an attempt (but fail this time) to wrap

Now there are some in there that ABSOLUTELY would be fines today. And maybe that means the "NFL" is soft. But those are the rules these guys have to play under now, and if they're not playing under them they're hurting this team.

But there are enough instances of BIG hits, many of which that "do the safeties job" and dislodge balls, that are absolutely legal if not picture perfect.

All it does is cement my thought that Sean would have still been a successful big hitter in this modern NFL by adapting. Would he undoubtably still take some penalties? Most likely (just like he wasn't shy of a late hit penalty early on), especially since Safties seem to be MOST likely to get these penalties. But based on what I remember of him, and looking at some of his plays that video highlighted, I definitely think he could've adapted to a point where it wouldn't have been a routine problem or where he'd be averaging one every two games.

it doesn't matter because if the receiver is unable to avoid contact today then they are defenseless. The receiver pretty much has to make a catch and football move before being hit

I can't remember the last time I saw a nice, big hit without a flag following whether for defenseless receiver, unnecessary roughness or helmet to helmet

Alot of folks in here have turned into a bunch of panties, 6 years ago it was "oh snap Area 51 no receiver will dare to cross the middle" now it's " OMG!! That merriweather guy is a monster and a thug and I'm ashamed as a fan to have him on the team " funny how things can change so quick.

I couldn't agree more and apparently someone else in the NFL agrees too hence a 1 game reduction on his suspension.

That doesn't mean Area 51 was celebrated for illegally hitting people or taking out player's heads. They were celebrated for being talented ferocious and physical not because they would decapitate people. Well at least to me, but I wasn't on here back me during that era.

Again, I can call a spade a spade. Some of Taylor's hits were illegal in today's nfl and were poor form but I can give him the benefit of the doubt and I wouldn't call him dirty because he repeatedly showed he could play physical and use good technique and form. It's a lazy excuse to act like defenders can't be themselves anymore because they can't launch themselves at a ball carrier's head.

I Understand it's an adjustment since this type of behavior used to be celebrated however poorly that decision was. Great players though know how to tackle and make physical plays without this bull**** launching crap. Then people on here blame it on the ball carrier for bracing his body for the impact haha yeah ok.Sure it happens sometimes but it's way to constant with BM to be an accident.

exactly.

That doesn't mean Area 51 was celebrated for illegally hitting people or taking out player's heads. They were celebrated for being talented ferocious and physical not because they would decapitate people. Well at least to me, but I wasn't on here back me during that era.

Again, I can call a spade a spade. Some of Taylor's hits were illegal in today's nfl and were poor form but I can give him the benefit of the doubt and I wouldn't call him dirty because he repeatedly showed he could play physical and use good technique and form. It's a lazy excuse to act like defenders can't be themselves anymore because they can't launch themselves at a ball carrier's head.

I Understand it's an adjustment since this type of behavior used to be celebrated however poorly that decision was. Great players though know how to tackle and make physical plays without this bull**** launching crap. Then people on here blame it on the ball carrier for bracing his body for the impact haha yeah ok.Sure it happens sometimes but it's way to constant with BM to be an accident.

Look if you're going to sit there and tell me that the game hasn't changed and that it's not almost impossible to play defense anymore especially as a DB then I don't know what to tell you. Your saying that players can still be physical and still not get flagged? How can you play physical when your not even allowed to separate the receiver from the ball anymore! The rules clearly state that you can't hit a receiver unless he has full control of the ball and is making a football play, you dont even have to launch at there helmet to get flagged! Point blank if you hit a receiver while he's in the process of making a catch you'll get flagged. So how the F is a DB supposed to do what he gets payed to do?? The NFL is turning into Arena football leauge and I defenity don't enjoy it as much as I used to do.

Everybody's love for football is different, some fans enjoy high scoring games. I grew up following guys like Ray Lewis, Brian Dawkins and

Champ Bailey, then I saw Sean Taylor at Da U, and I literally fell in Love with him( as a football player) so when my buddy told me that we drafted him I was literally jumping up and down as if we just won the Super Bowl. To see what the leauge is becoming its a shame. I understand player safety and direct shots to the helmet but I think they have taken it too far to the point that you can't hit period. Now there's debate whether defenders can hit low anymore cause of all the knee injuries. Who knows what football will look like 5-6 years from now.

Was Meriweather going to contribute in any way at stopping D. Thomas, Decker, Welker, or J. Thomas? I don't seem to remember him making any bit of difference when Nelson, Cobb, Jones, and Finley were trotting up and down the field at will. So, who cares? He sucks, and he's probably not on the team next year. I least I hope not.

Look if you're going to sit there and tell me that the game hasn't changed and that it's not almost impossible to play defense anymore especially as a DB then I don't know what to tell you. Your saying that players can still be physical and still not get flagged? How can you play physical when your not even allowed to separate the receiver from the ball anymore! The rules clearly state that you can't hit a receiver unless he has full control of the ball and is making a football play, you dont even have to launch at there helmet to get flagged! Point blank if you hit a receiver while he's in the process of making a catch you'll get flagged. So how the F is a DB supposed to do what he gets payed to do?? The NFL is turning into Arena football leauge and I defenity don't enjoy it as much as I used to do.

It's not that hard to understand, or at least I didn't think so until this thread.

How do the vast majority of defensive backs and linebackers still stop receivers without getting fined or flagged?

Oh, that's right, they play the game by the rules.  The Texans, Seahawks, Panthers, Jets, and Chiefs are the top five defenses in the league, and guys like Meriweather ain't on those teams.

Meriweather is a punk who won't follow the rules, misses tackles because he tries to go for the big hit, and costs us 15 yards multiple times per game.  He can go **** himself.

I'd lay all the money I own that if Church had hit Garçon by launching himself like an Exocet Missile in the Dallas game a few weeks back most everyone condoning and excusing Merriweather would be calling for the Cowboys head and a lengthy ban.

But like all things, put him in a Redskins uni and it suddenly becomes acceptable.

Sorry the ban has been reduced. Now THAT is an example of the NFL going soft.

Hail.

Its hard to compare 6 years ago with today considering the rule changes. Like it or not, the rules around hitting have become much tighter.

Exactly. It's like calling modern players a bunch of "panties" for wearing helmets or pads.

I personally don't mind big hits, but I want the Redskins to win. Therefore, I'd prefer that the players on the team play by the current rules so they have a better shot to do so. How's that?

I'd lay all the money I own that if Church had hit Garçon by launching himself like an Exocet Missile in the Dallas game a few weeks back most everyone condoning and excusing Merriweather would be calling for the Cowboys head and a lengthy ban.

But like all things, put him in a Redskins uni and it suddenly becomes acceptable.

Hail.

There's plenty of instances where Redskins players have been hit hard and drew a flag with fans in here defending the hit and talking about how soft the league has become. 

There's plenty of instances where Redskins players have been hit hard and drew a flag with fans in here defending the hit and talking about how soft the league has become. 

I agree with this. I don't think it comes down to homers or anything. I think some people romanticize earlier eras (I'm guilty of it too). But in today's NFL the defenses are becoming more and more neutered, you usually need a great QB to win it all, and no team will ever have every hole filled.

The Joe Gibbs Redskins of yesteryear (a true team with few stars, hard-hitting defenses, deep with no true weaknesses) are probably only ever going to exist in memories from now on.

just like in the green bay game, these stupid hits not only hurt the other players, they hurt himself. both hits against chicago hes laying on the ground like he is the one who got hit. this clown has no regard for player safety, including his own.

the nfl got sued for $765 million dollars. do you expect them to just keep playing the same and keep racking up all these lawsuits? ironically, meriweather will probably be one of these players suing the nfl because he has some kind of brain injury.

Hail.

Again, anything involving the redskins is biased one way or another.  It doesn't lessen the bias to think about this happening to Redskins players.  The problem the fans have on this site isn't the fact that he's hitting other players hard or "headhunting" as many are calling it.  The problem is BM isn't a very good safety and his net value to this team is negative.  He simply isn't impacting the Redskins defense positively.

The only way to think about this is to think about other players who are similar to BM on other teams.  Ed Reed, Bernard Pollard, Donte Whitner, Dashon Goldson, et al.  Plenty of Safeties play the way Meriweather is playing.  Dashon Goldson and Bernard Pollard lead the league in personal foul penalties since 2010.  Ed Reed and Dashon Goldson have been threatened with 1 game suspensions before.  The only difference between them and BM is that they are good at other things.  DG is one of the best safeties in the game right now and ER is one of the greatest of all time.  Yet here we are with no one discussing them on this board because they do not directly impact the skins.

Also, isn't it strange how the players with the most personal fouls in the league are safeties?  There IS a correlation between rule changes and safety penalties and it's NOT just Brandon Meriweather who is being affected. 

I feel like people are having a hard time understanding that BM is making an impact defensively.  You don't see his name being called on much for a reason.  He's got his side of the field and areas covered.  You heard the same thing about Carlos Rogers - a defensive back who's name isn't continuously called is a good thing.  Most of the time it means that they either a. have their zones/man covered or b. the people in front of them are doing their jobs.

Six years ago, there wasn't research into the effects of these hits long term on the individuals involved.

Meriweather isn't a thug, but he either can't or won't tackle properly.

It's not that hard to understand, or at least I didn't think so until this thread.

How do the vast majority of defensive backs and linebackers still stop receivers without getting fined or flagged?

Oh, that's right, they play the game by the rules.  The Texans, Seahawks, Panthers, Jets, and Chiefs are the top five defenses in the league, and guys like Meriweather ain't on those teams.

Meriweather is a punk who won't follow the rules, misses tackles because he tries to go for the big hit, and costs us 15 yards multiple times per game.  He can go **** himself.

We got it, you don't like Merriweather. You've chosen throughout the thread to obviously ignore a fair and logical (and would I say is obvious "until this thread") point or evidence that a fair amount of the hits by "BW" aren't as calculated as "dirty" in regards to intent.

But, you mentioned why other defenders aren't having an issue? Have you been watching ANY football? There is an epidemic in more than just offensive production, but missed tackles. I'd wager more EVERY team has increased their missed tackles by a large amount.

I feel like people are having a hard time understanding that BM is making an impact defensively.  You don't see his name being called on much for a reason.  He's got his side of the field and areas covered.  You heard the same thing about Carlos Rogers - a defensive back who's name isn't continuously called is a good thing.  Most of the time it means that they either a. have their zones/man covered or b. the people in front of them are doing their jobs.

Regardless of the fact that he may have his "half of the field covered," as a safety your job is to impact the game.  He is having a net negative impact.  Safeties are playmakers on the back end and he isn't making plays.  He's missing tackles, getting 15 yard penalties, and not getting turnovers.  Good safeties find ways to make a positive impact.  I think we can discount option b in your post as well.

I agree with most of your posts in this thread.  BM is playing aggressive and not dirty.  He's trying to make an impact in a way that would have been acceptable about 5 years ago.  The NFL is pussifying the sport we all grew up with.  It's happening before our very eyes.  But at the end of the day people will still pay good money to watch a "safer" version of this sport.  The purity of defensive football is gone and it's something people will have to get used to. 

I hate the rules just as much as the next man.  And personally, I don't think you'll see safeties stop going for the big hit and leading with their helmets--it's part of the position and anyone who has played the position knows it. 

I agree with your point for the most part, and to add...  Since people brought up Taylor, he got us a few flags frequently as well.

Archived