Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nfl.com: Brandon Meriweather Suspended For 2 Games

MustangSteve

Brandon Meriweather has a well-earned reputation as a head-hunter in the Washington Redskins' secondary. His unwillingness (or inability) to change his playing style has taken him off the field

The NFL announced Monday that Meriweather has been suspended without pay for two games for repeat violations this season of NFL safety rules prohibiting hits to the head and neck area of defenseless players.

Meriweather may not practice during the suspension and will be unavailable for games against the Denver Broncos and the San Diego Chargers. Meriweather will be reinstated on November 4.

Meriweather was flagged twice for illegal hits in Sunday's 45-41 win over the Bears. After the game, Chicago receiver Brandon Marshall -- the recipient of one of those hits -- railed against Meriweather's playing style, saying the safety should be suspended or kicked out of the game entirely.

"Guys like that really don't understand that there is life after football," Marshall said, via the Chicago Tribune.

Click link for rest:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000267387/article/brandon-meriweather-banned-2-games-for-illegal-hits

I have Payton Manning and Knowshon Marino on my fantasy team and might score 100 points with just those 2 next week.

There's 30 yards of penalties/game that that someone is going to have to make up. 

Sunday the Redskins are playing one of the best QB's of his generation on his home field and our already depleted secondary might be playing without Meriweather and Doughty (if he still has a concussion). 

Sheesh so much for the playoff run. Reed Doughty has a concussion and Rambo is trash. I'm praying we sign either Kerry Rhodes or Kenny Phillips or we can forget it this year. Our secondary, specifically our FS/SS are just terrible and loosing Brandon and possibly Reed makes it worse.

Damn.. damn.. damn 

I agree he deserves this suspension. If he doesn't snap out of it after he comes back, he needs to go. Hole at safety or not, the bad karma this guy is going to bring by us keeping him isn't worth it. Not when we have all this cap space coming up.

As for the next two games, there's no way we'd beat the broncos or the chargers without the offense stepping up. I'm fully prepared for two more bears games, is what it is...

What DJD said.

Keep Rambo in there regardless what happens. Let him take his lumps,

Why not? It's not like it can hurt our secondary, they're already terrible.

Sheesh so much for the playoff run. 

This defense can't take us to the playoffs with him, they are horrible! Either we score 45 points a game or we won't have much of a chance. 

Best news I've heard all day! He is seriously going to hurt someone, disrespects the rules--time after time, and makes our team look bad. Like the player in the article said, there is life after football. Not that he will, but Shanahan should bench him when he returns. I don't want this type of player on our team. If losing him makes our season over, so be it.

Is it possible he really can't stop this? Like, maybe his instincts are telling him to lead with his head, and in the heat of the moment, he can't even think about the fact that he's gonna get flagged? Maybe this is a situation where you just can't teach an old dog new tricks?

I'm really on the fence with him. On one hand, football is a dangerous sport, and players should expect to get their bell rung on occasion. You need players who instill fear, like ST21 did. OTOH, BM is constantly getting penalized for these hits, and it's hurting the team. I think once your performance start affecting those around you, in this case in a negative way, something has to give.

He deserves the suspension. I just wonder if it will really make a difference long term b/c I honestly don't think he can stop himself.

Well deserved suspension. If Merriweather was on another team he would he viewed by most Skins fans as a dirty player and headhunter. Just because he plays for the Skins doesn't make his actions any less deplorable.

Hopefully Rambo can step up and reverse his early season struggles. Skins continue to have awful safety play in recent seasons from failed free agent acquisition Atogwe who Haslett assured everyone would be an impact player, to the showboating, oft injured Laron Landry, failed draft pick Gomes from Nebraska, Madieu Williams and Merriweather who either is injured or making illegal hits.

Rambo's early play has been anything but encouraging, so it looks like yet another offseason of looking for at least one safety depending on how he plays going forward...

Seems like yesterday when our secondary was our strength. I remember people praying we didn't add anymore pieces back there because it was talented.

Shawn Springs

Ryan Clark

Fred Smoot

Champ Bailey

Sean Taylor

Walt Harris

LaRon Landry

DeAngelo Hall

Carlos Rogers

We used to be a sure shot team for a strong secondary and now we're the cowboys. 

Is it possible he really can't stop this? Like, maybe his instincts are telling him to lead with his head, and in the heat of the moment, he can't even think about the fact that he's gonna get flagged? Maybe this is a situation where you just can't teach an old dog new tricks?

I'm really on the fence with him. On one hand, football is a dangerous sport, and players should expect to get their bell rung on occasion. You need players who instill fear, like ST21 did. OTOH, BM is constantly getting penalized for these hits, and it's hurting the team. I think once your performance start affecting those around you, in this case in a negative way, something has to give.

He deserves the suspension. I just wonder if it will really make a difference long term b/c I honestly don't think he can stop himself.

I don't think he can stop himself. If he hasn't learned by now I doubt he ever will. As I said in the other thread, there is a difference between playing dirty and playing physical. BM is dirty.

It is possible he knows better but in the heat of the moment lacks the brainpower to follow through on what he knows. Probably some loose screws in there from too much head trauma...hmmm

Seems like yesterday when our secondary was our strength. I remember people praying we didn't add anymore pieces back there because it was talented.

Shawn Springs

Ryan Clark

Fred Smoot

Champ Bailey

Sean Taylor

Walt Harris

LaRon Landry

DeAngelo Hall

Carlos Rogers

We used to be a sure shot team for a strong secondary and now we're the cowboys. 

Most of those guys were hated by many here and ran out of town. 

Archived