Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn Article: Robert Griffin Iii Tries To Draw Flags

StephenDavis

It's like admitting you flop in basketball. 

You know players do it, just don't admit it.  Makes said player look worse. 

Griffin needs to shut up. 

i think what TexasThunder alluded to describes it best.  Griffin is simply playing mind games here... the question is does that make the incoming defender reluctant to hit Griffin out of bounds without drawing a 15 yarder.  Griffin is basically saying out loud "that I'll gladly cheat and use this game to my advantage except this does not correspond to flopping... he is actually taking a hit if it means more yardage for the offense."  The comparison that should be used is the one in baseball.

There are more ways to look at this other than "Oh darnett, Bob doesn't know how to keep his trap shut."

I think you all are giving Griffin TOO much credit for supposedly playing "mind games."  I don't buy it.  If anything, a ref might be hesitant to throw a flag b/c he just came out and admitted that he's trying to draw penalties.  It's like a hockey player saying they dive, or a b-ball player saying they flop...the refs will have a real hard time deciding if certain infractions are penalty or foul worthy.  He should have kept his mouth shut. 

You left the Refs out of the equation though.  It might very well make them less likely to call a late hit on him.

We have a winner.

Now when he does get hit on that borderline of on the field and out of bounds, the refs will definitely think twice about it. 

I remember during the Dallas game, somebody tackled on of our D-linemen while he was rushing Romo sits to pee. The ref had his hand on the flag, but for some reason, took his hand off of it and did not throw it.

I don't know what he was thinking, but he was thinking something. So imagine what refs will be thinking when (not if but when) RG3 gets hit on the sideline again.

This guy is running his mouth when he needs to be focused on circling the wagons and earning back the respect of his teammates as a leader.  The magazine covers, commercials, and press conferences got old a long time ago.  I laughed at the critics early on when they were suggesting we were seeing warning signs of immaturity, but it's now pretty evident that there are indeed legitimate concerns.  I hope I am wrong because God knows we gave up the farm for this guy, but I am getting more and more worried about Robert's future as a legitimate NFL quarterback. 

I think you all are giving Griffin TOO much credit for supposedly playing "mind games."  I don't buy it.  If anything, a ref might be hesitant to throw a flag b/c he just came out and admitted that he's trying to draw penalties.  It's like a hockey player saying they dive, or a b-ball player saying they flop...the refs will have a real hard time deciding if certain infractions are penalty or foul worthy.  He should have kept his mouth shut. 

Sorry, but I disagree.

I think some fans forget that Robert is highly intelligent. He is not just your average jock when it comes to the cereable part of football.

He graduated early from HS, he graduated early from Baylor, and when Gruden did his interview, he thought he was one of the smartest QB's to come along in awhile.

As for the refs, its a judgement call, but you can bet that if Robert does get hit out of bounds, there will be a flag.

Now if its a borderline call, he may get it and he may not, and as I said, its a judgement call, but I truely believe that his comment is not going to affect that situation. 

This guy is running his mouth when he needs to be focused on circling the wagons and earning back the respect of his teammates as a leader.  The magazine covers, commercials, and press conferences got old a long time ago.  I laughed at the critics early on when they were suggesting we were seeing warning signs of immaturity, but it's now pretty evident that there are indeed legitimate concerns.  I hope I am wrong because God knows we gave up the farm for this guy, but I am getting more and more worried about Robert's future as a legitimate NFL quarterback. 

God forbid a 23-year old kid be immature...

He's said some stupid things, he's done absolutely nothing to embarrass this franchise.  He's a good kid, does solid charity work and carries himself the way most upstanding citizens do. 

The comments were made during the regular team press conference, they happen every week.

But please point me to any article that states Robert has lost the respect of his team mates as a leader.

That is the basketball equivalent of "I'm a flopper" to me. I have seen him get knocked down on some "hits" that really shouldn't warrant much attention, but meh, I guess if the refs are gonna buy it and it helps the team its ok. Certainly not something anyone should advocate a player to do because it is dangerous and factitious. You want yards? Gain them, don't rely on bail outs from the refs. 

Sorry, but I disagree.

I think some fans forget that Robert is highly intelligent. He is not just your average jock when it comes to the cereable part of football.

He graduated early from HS, he graduated early from Baylor, and when Gruden did his interview, he thought he was one of the smartest QB's to come along in awhile.

As for the refs, its a judgement call, but you can bet that if Robert does get hit out of bounds, there will be a flag.

Now if its a borderline call, he may get it and he may not, and as I said, its a judgement call, but I truely believe that his comment is not going to affect that situation. 

While all of that may be true, I think it's pretty obvious that he doesn't know how to handle the media. I mean, I think it is obvious that he think he knows, but he needs to realize that the media doesn't deserve all the honesty he gives to them.

I don't think the ref's will react any differently because of these comments. If the ref's start officiating biased against rg3, they will face so much scrutiny from the fans and possibly other players, the league will be forced to do something. I don't think the refs will risk disciplinary action all because of one players comment.

at first I thought, "why is he saying this?" but if he is indeed playing mind games then it may actually benefit him. players may be reluctant to him him now because they think he is baiting them. if they ease up for a second, rg3 will turn upfield and gain more yards. after that happens, they will probably start blasting him again, in which we'll get 15 more yards anyway.

the defenders and the refs are both damned if they do and damned if they dont.

I like RG3, generally, but I do see a lot of similarities between his personality and of one Donovan McNabb.  It seems like he strives for a constant validation of himself as a person and a player.  McNabb won a lot so he got a pass on much of his passive aggressive posturing from the Philly fans (fans of other teams skewered him much like what is happening with RG3 currently).  At the end of his career, once his skills declined, his personality was tore apart by even Philly fans who had enough of the constant drama and look at me campaigning.  Just my .02

I'm worried that defenders will now try and get their moneys worth for the 15 yard flags now that RG3 is boasting about this. Sometimes when it comes to words less is more.

He could be thinking the same thing. If guys are trying to blast him they're still going to get flagged if the hit is late or dirty. Obviously it won't be funny anymore if he gets hurt again, but you can see my point I'm sure. With that said, I wouldn't be talking about trying to manipulate calls or games in that manner. 

If I'm a defender and I have RG3 lined up for a hit near the sideline - especially early in the game when a 15 yd penalty might not hurt as much - I'm going to go for the kill shot. It would be worth the penalty and possibly a fine to take his athleticism out of a game.

Now, as a Redskins fan, I obviously don't want to see this happen. But with his constant talking, I can't help but think there's a lot of people who wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

I think he's in the midst of a serious sophomore slump... on and off the field. And, as a fan of more traditional, drop-back passers, I feel a twinge of jealousy every time I see highlights of Andrew Luck.

I like RG3, generally, but I do see a lot of similarities between his personality and of one Donovan McNabb.  It seems like he strives for a constant validation of himself as a person and a player.  McNabb won a lot so he got a pass on much of his passive aggressive posturing from the Philly fans (fans of other teams skewered him much like what is happening with RG3 currently).  At the end of his career, once his skills declined, his personality was tore apart by even Philly fans who had enough of the constant drama and look at me campaigning.  Just my .02

I disagree.  I believe McNabb had a sparkling reputation until the overtime fiasco...

If I'm a defender and I have RG3 lined up for a hit near the sideline - especially early in the game when a 15 yd penalty might not hurt as much - I'm going to go for the kill shot. It would be worth the penalty and possibly a fine to take his athleticism out of a game.

Now, as a Redskins fan, I obviously don't want to see this happen. But with his constant talking, I can't help but think there's a lot of people who wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

I think he's in the midst of a serious sophomore slump... on and off the field. And, as a fan of more traditional, drop-back passers, I feel a twinge of jealousy every time I see highlights of Andrew Luck.

Well it didn't take long for someone to post about Andrew Luck.  I knew it was coming eventually lol

Archived