Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn Article: Robert Griffin Iii Tries To Draw Flags

StephenDavis

Words mean nothing on the field.  Although I understand the reasoning behind:  "shut up, robert...", it's another example in a long list of RG3's words being dissected and studied for their 'true meaning' or whatever.  

Even going back to Shannahan saying "we'll see who wants to be on the team next year".  Even more level headed posters and TV guys are going "OOOOHHHHHH.. but what did it MEAN???"  It meant 'whatever', just like this quote from Rob.  As much as we'd like to think so, we're not going to receive any crucial, groundbreaking, secret knowledge from any of the coaches or players via press conference.  They're just talking.  And I really doubt we're going to see a decrease in officials protecting Robert in particular.  I mean, get real.

He's just saying what happens in the heat of the moment during those plays at the sideline, so what?  If Robert 'shuts up' more from now on, it will have only been to make fans happy.  It won't have anything to do with the win/loss record, which is what truly makes fans happy/sad.

And by the way, speaking of win/loss, if we're 6-0 right now, people are saying "lol yea Robert, you tell 'em, god I love Rob he's so confident"  ;)

What the hell happened to our quiet, intelligent, humble young QB? 

He listened to his own press too much last year.

Yeah, I thought about it for a second, but I honestly have no clue how to defend him here?

There is absolutely no way to defend him here.  He said something really stupid.  And he's probably gotten a visit from the HC about it. 

This is the kind of stuff many of us were talking about this summer... RG just talks too much. Even if it is innocent and honest, he just talks too much.

You know in baseball, when a pitcher retaliates and hits the batter and then insists "one just got away" everyone knows he is full of it, but sometimes you just toe the line. By making this public knowledge you also make it public to the refs, who now know what RG is trying to do.

Yeah, I think a lot of people gave Griff the benefit of the doubt over the summer.  But you're right. He talks too much, he makes it about him, and he always has to be right.

He's a 23 year old kid, and he like all 23 year old kids, he knows everything.  Except, he doesn't.

He's an extremely special, intelligent, and kind person, but he's starting to make an ass of himself on a regular basis. 

He's still the majority of those things.  I just think he's too honest for his own good...

Nah, he's too smart for that.  He knows what he's doing. He's trying to look smarter than the next guy. 

Dude's got a huge ego.  I still love him, but he's got a huge ego, and he needs to get it under control. 

God, this is starting to get out of hand. RGIII knows there will be a mic most any place he's at; there are probably hidden mics under the toilets and under his lunch bags.

He's starting to become a media diva, and it never ends good.

RGIII, please, just shut up and play. There are players who hate diva players, and a cheap shot is just around the corner; is your career worth it?

I cannot honestly figure out what he thought he might gain from saying what he said. My jaw was dropped as I watched that press conference. I thought I might had read into it too much, but then the flood of stories came out and it confirmed it. We need Griffin to stop going to these things until we start winning games. 

He read his press clippings last year.  

Loverro said something yesterday that I thought was probably pretty accurate, words to the effect that RG3 thinks he's smarter than the average bear and wants everyone to know it.  Not in a conscious way, but he probably can't help himself, it's just in his DNA.  He's probably the kind of guy that if you know him well, he's cool and humble, but if you're only getting him in short bursts, he might get on your nerves thinking he's the shiznit.  

When I see the lack of unfortunate quotes that Luck and Wilson enjoy, I wonder why RG3 refuses to learn a lesson there.  I'm trying to think of one single controversial thing those two have said in two years.  Considering how everybody says how smart RG3 is.  When it comes to saying nothing in the media though, he's still playing catch up.  

Sure Robert should not have said anything. It's more a reflection of our lame duck offense, and how desperate he is to help.

Ironically now, he will be less likely to get those calls. 

I am not sure I have ever clearly seen a QB try to bait defenses for calls. Usually, baiting is not needed. QB's typically are running for their lives to get out of bounds and its for a good reason. I think I would rather Robert focus on doing the same, considering how i have seen him protecting himself in general. He is walking a dangerous tight rope, and I don't think the penalties are game changers.

Me, 15 yards to get the QB clobbered? No thanks, I would rather try a quick fade to Hank down the sideline.

Someone should tape a banner to his locker that says

"Actions speak louder than words".

If he's not careful, he will find himself sitting on the sideline, and the last thing he will remember is the oatmeal he ate for breakfast. then he will tell someone to answer the phone because he hears one ringing.

The only thing he's drawing right now is attention and criticism, and I wish THAT would stop...

He read his press clippings last year.

Loverro said something yesterday that I thought was probably pretty accurate, words to the effect that RG3 thinks he's smarter than the average bear and wants everyone to know it. Not in a conscious way, but he probably can't help himself, it's just in his DNA. He's probably the kind of guy that if you know him well, he's cool and humble, but if you're only getting him in short bursts, he might get on your nerves thinking he's the shiznit.

When I see the lack of unfortunate quotes that Luck and Wilson enjoy, I wonder why RG3 refuses to learn a lesson there. I'm trying to think of one single controversial thing those two have said in two years. Considering how everybody says how smart RG3 is. When it comes to saying nothing in the media though, he's still playing catch up.

People will tell you the media doesn't care about Luck or Wilson and that they dissect and distort everything RG says. I disagree. No doubt RG has more national cache than those other guys and therefore is under a bigger microscope. But none of my criticism of RG has anything to do with media spin--- it is the actual words that come out of his mouth. He needs to chill and you know people have told him that, but he almost seems defiant in not toning it down.

Why is this is surprise? He hasn't been able to shut up since "All in for week one."

I said it back then and I'll say it again. The great ones let their play do the talking. I wouldn't be surprised if defenders make sure they hit him harder now if they know they are going to get flagged anyway.

Why is this is surprise? He hasn't been able to shut up since "All in for week one."

I said it back then and I'll say it again. The great ones let their play do the talking. I wouldn't be surprised if defenders make sure they hit him harder now if they know they are going to get flagged anyway.

And we've seen him not get up on multiple occasions already.  A guy like that shouldn't be goading people to hit him.    

I think he's letting the criticism of his play get to him.  The only way to squash it is to play better.  We all want the RG3 of last year.  We just want him to avoid unnecessary hits and not to fight for yards like he's Alfred Morris.

Alot of bishes in here and it is funny to see you all come out of the woodshed :)

So, are you saying that he should be the spokesperson for the team?

His rookie season, yea, he gets a pass for any media attention and anything he said; he was a bright light for the team and his

abilities were praised left and right.

Now he's recovered [ physically ] from his injury, but mentally he's not there yet; he certainly sounded like he was in the media, saying he's all in week 1, and, well, we know the rest; a less than standard performance, especially in the first half of the first 3 games.

He needs to learn that anything and everything he says will be quoted or typed and most likely mis-worded, creating static in the organization. He's an important piece to the team, but he is not THE team, and if the ego grows while his performance doesn't, there will be changes in that position.

He just needs to learn to choose his words more wisely and instead of talking a good game start playing a good game.

His rookie season, yea, he gets a pass for any media attention and anything he said; he was a bright light for the team and his

Now he's recovered [ physically ] from his injury, but mentally he's not there yet; he certainly sounded like he was in the media, saying he's all in week 1, and, well, we know the rest; a less than standard performance, especially in the first half of the first 3 games.

He needs to learn that anything and everything he says will be quoted or typed and most likely mis-worded, creating static in the organization. He's an important piece to the team, but he is not THE team, and if the ego grows while his performance doesn't, there will be changes in that position.

He just needs to learn to choose his words more wisely and instead of talking a good game start playing a good game.

I could be wrong but isn't physically impossible to be fully recovered from complete knee reconstruction after 10 months?

This just spews hate and anger like many other critical posts in this thread.

RG3 needs to keep quiet. Those comments do nothing for him. Besides, he isn't relevant this year. No one cares what the QB of a 1-4 team thinks. You never hear Luck or Wilson say stuff like this.

Have you made one post recently that doesn't somehow involve mentioning Andrew Luck?

This just spews hate and anger like many other critical posts in this thread.

Um, there is no hate in that at all !  Maybe to someone who is narrow-minded and one-sided would see some form of hate, but

to the average person there is no hate implied in any way; unless it refers to the media, then guilty as charged.

I could be wrong but isn't physically impossible to be fully recovered from complete knee reconstruction after 10 months?

Hec, I have no idea; if I get a paper cut its a crisis ! :P

All we can do is go by what he and his doctor says; if he truly is NOT 100% physically healed, then he has no business being on the field, IMO.

Archived