Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn Article: Robert Griffin Iii Tries To Draw Flags

StephenDavis

Any takes on this?  I think it's a dumb strategy for Robert to use.  It is an extra 15 yards, so in the short term it's gravy.  But long term I don't like the risk of the big hit.  And coming out to the media with this is going to make referees aware that he is trying to draw penalties.  Overall I don't think it was smart for Robert to say this.  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9837792/robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-aims-draw-flags-sideline-runs

This is the kind of stuff many of us were talking about this summer... RG just talks too much. Even if it is innocent and honest, he just talks too much.

You know in baseball, when a pitcher retaliates and hits the batter and then insists "one just got away" everyone knows he is full of it, but sometimes you just toe the line. By making this public knowledge you also make it public to the refs, who now know what RG is trying to do.

Yeah, I thought about it for a second, but I honestly have no clue how to defend him here?

I don't think you do defend him.  Just like everything else you acknowledge that he is just a second year player and has a lot of growing up to do.  He handled himself near flawlessly last year.  Both in playing and in the media.  There are mistakes in both this year and they are magnified by how close to perfect he was last year. 

What's the problem really other him saying what should be every player's intention? The sideline is every player's best friend, not just the quarterback's.

Another pie in the face reaction.

It's like admitting you flop in basketball. 

You know players do it, just don't admit it.  Makes said player look worse. 

Griffin needs to shut up. 

I addressed this just yesterday in another thread...

And I quote,

Posted Yesterday, 11:00 AM

"One thing I would like for him to do is stop giving such detailed answers to the media. Sometimes I think he misspeaks or assumes people are on his side and then they twist his words to get a headline. At first I thought being more open would serve him well when he struggled but now I realize the media are vultures and you should give them as little as possible To avoid any confusion I do not think he is a prima donna. I am saying he has an optimistic view of sports media and needs to realize that they are not his friends. . Keep the answers terse. What you don't say cannot be held against you."

I don't think his intent is malicious but he is either exceedingly naive or is being told to leak this stuff to affect the bears gameplan somehow. He needs to smarten up a little. 

My take is just a little bit different.

If a defensive player has it in his head that he is going to risk the 15 yard penalty and proceed with the hit out of bounds,

then that player just let Robert win the mind game. To me its no different then some of the players trash talking, trying to draw that penalty, or a lineman talking **** to draw the defense off.

If that defensive player has to think more and react less, then the advantage is on our side.

And as for the risk of Robert getting injured, that is a given, every time he takes a snap there is a chance he can get injured.

Did he increase the risk ? Maybe. Only time will tell.

It's like admitting you flop in basketball.

You know players do it, just don't admit it. Makes said player look worse.

Griffin needs to shut up.

Exactly. Like if they ask a pitcher after his teammate gets beaned if he will retaliate the next day and the pitcher says "Yeah, I'm probably gonna out one in the lead off hitter's back." Even if most everyone knows what you are going to do, it is much better left unsaid. In MLB as a matter of fact, your suspension is partially dictated on whether or not you admit it.

Initially I think it was dumb of him to say. I am sure he's not the only QB that tries to draw a flag...in fact I would bet they all do.

After thinking about it for a couple minutes...I think it was actually a great thing for him to say...especially after he mentioned the Detroit game. Players who know he is trying to draw a flag may actually over compensate and not hit him if they even think he's going out of bounds. He's playing a mind game with them.

Of course you will get those that will make sure that if they are going to get a flag they will make it worth while, but quite honestly if they thought like this, they probably would have done it anyways.

Exactly. Like if they ask a pitcher after his teammate gets beaned if he will retaliate the next day and the pitcher says "Yeah, I'm probably gonna out one in the lead off hitter's back." Even if most everyone knows what you are going to do, it is much better left unsaid. In MLB as a matter of fact, your suspension is partially dictated on whether or not you admit it.

Except that comparison isn't apt whatsoever.  A pitcher plunking someone has the potential to injure and that's why it would be taken much differently.  I believe the "flopping" comparison is one that RonArtest15 made and makes the most sense.

Initially I think it was dumb of him to say. I am sure he's not the only QB that tries to draw a flag...in fact I would bet they all do.

After thinking about it for a couple minutes...I think it was actually a great thing for him to say...especially after he mentioned the Detroit game. Players who know he is trying to draw a flag may actually over compensate and not hit him if they even think he's going out of bounds. He's playing a mind game with them.

Of course you will get those that will make sure that if they are going to get a flag they will make it worth while, but quite honestly if they thought like this, they probably would have done it anyways.

You left the Refs out of the equation though.  It might very well make them less likely to call a late hit on him.

I figure any extra considerations for a defender as they make a tackle will only hurt their game overall. That's probably what Robert is going for here.

He didn't need to say it though; it's self-evident and I'm sure all QBs do it.

Archived