Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Defense Is Built To Stop Elite (Broncos) Offenses

truskinsfan18

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it's official. We only play well against the type of offense and players we know very well. It's like as soon as there is ANY semblance of an unknown we have absolutely no idea how to handle it. To me, that's a failure of coaching and we've got to get better at changing up what we do as soon as a key guy goes down.

We're pressuring Cutler and playing tight against their WRs. We're keeping Forte in check. Then Cutler goes out and we start backing off? Why?  

Granted, McCown really screwed everything up by running the ball a lot and we didn't see that coming, but still. We just need to adjust faster. Somehow our game plans throughout the week are sensible but as soon as the other team does something new we can't answer. 

Come on Haslett, Morris and Slowik. Be better. 

I wonder how many more decades will we go before teams have to run against us, to beat us.

Why can't we run an offense, that can run and pass equally; hang with the league elites?

In year 4 of the Shanaplan, I would like to think we should be getting damn close.

Bookend LT, check. Upper Echelon QB, check, highly regarded running back and WR; check, check.

Yet our game plan always seems to be to about playing slow on offense. We have to milk the clock.

I think it limits our playbook. Makes us predictable. Makes our jobs harder. I question if that approach is actually working, or do we really need that. Will it work indefinitely. We are not the hogs anymore. I saw the Jets last night in 5 wide, beating Atlanta. Why can't we do that?

Half the time it seems Haslet calls his D in ways that lets teams slow play us. If that is our key to victory, why does he allow them to do it to us? I often see RG3 sitting on the bench for extended periods to start games.

that's because our D is weak against the pass.we need to keep the ball away from other teams.  

More so than other defenses....

Willie Mcginest brought up an interesting point on Nfl Network. The reason Manning is having success is because he is throwing from a clean pocket 90% of the time.

Willie brought up how his Patriots were able to stop Manning and make him look average by putting pressure on him.

Our defense is built to stop Qb's like Manning(non-mobile). We have an elite defense in terms of turnovers, TDs, and sacks.

I'd say part of the reason we have struggled is the mobile Qbs we have faced(Vick and Rodgers).

Edit: I'm not saying we will in fact be able to stop them, but I think this is the type of defense we have built; one that relies on pressure rather than being stout.

Sorry brutha, you are delusional! If your primes is that we will get pressure on him I would point you to the fact that he routinely gets the ball out of his hand in 1.5 seconds or less. We won't have a chance to get pressure which means our coverage game will be exposed... again! I love the Skins and I am very proud of how they battled and played today. But I think it is wishful thinking to say we are going to shut down one of the greatest to ever play having a career year.  

His brain is what moves faster than anything/anyone.

Beat me to it. Peyton's football mind vs Haslett's coaching/gameplan ability is scary.

We probably have to score 35-40 pts in this one to have a chance. Our secondary/front 7 need to pay the game of their lives for us to win this one. After today, I'm not that confident.

We can't stop Josh McClown.

Mannings jersey may end up in the HOF after the game.

Yeah, we heard the same thing with Romo sits to pee. :rolleyes:

He and Dez Bryant were going to torch the Redskins.

They didn't. Romo sits to pee had about 150 yards passing. Bryant had about 30 yards receiving.

Any given Sunday. :)

Beat me to it. Peyton's football mind vs Haslett's coaching/gameplan ability is scary.

We probably have to score 35-40 pts in this one to have a chance. Our secondary/front 7 need to pay the game of their lives for us to win this one. After today, I'm not that confident.

I honestly don't think they need to play the game of their lives.  They need to play mistake-free and intelligently.  I do believe the special teams will have to play ridiculously great (for them) just to be a mediocre unit.  I would consider them doing no harm a great success.

Is their a special teams unit the Redskins are better than?  I simply can't imagine there is one.

Archived