Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Defense Is Built To Stop Elite (Broncos) Offenses

truskinsfan18

While worrying about the Broncos this Sunday, let's not lose sight of their biggest weapon on special team...Mr. Trindon Holliday.

He is arguably the most dangerous kick returner in the game today. Sure, Hester has all the records and is great but Holliday is super fast (possibly fastest human in football pads currently). The Broncos are blocking well for him and once he gets in the open you can forget it.

Let's keep an eye on him, please.

Well, with that nice Denver altitude, hopefully on kickoffs Kai will be able to just kick it out of the endzone and I would hope that the punts will be kicked either straight out of bounds or with enough hangtime to allow the coverage to converge on the receiver and force fair catches. 

We need to send linebackers through the center/guard gaps like its the EZ Pass lane on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  Orakpo and Kerrigan can squeeze from the outside, but it's inside pressure that messes with Peyton.  Cofield will be key.  If he does his job, inside blitz pressure can be effective.

lol, this thread.

Cade McNown had a field day with the Redskins defense. Peyton Manning, coming off a loss, is going to be a nightmare. This defense is made to stop anyone.

13 points is a big spread, however, it's justified. Manning is going to score at will. The Skins will have to match. Once they get down a touchdown or two, they'll start to throw. Broncos are built to rush the passer. I predict Cousins finishes the game.

We've got more problems on defense than I was aware of if Cade McNown had a field day against us...

In theory, our defense is designed to top every offense. Aren't they all?

The problem is the defensive coordinator not having the proper read of the players he has. Even a blue collar defense with no prima donnas stars can win games. Because the DC used them to their strengths.

I am almost convinced defenses have never mattered less in the NFL. When a WR makes a circus catch on the top of his helmet to win the superbowl, how can that be defended better.

The rule changes have made offenses decide games. If they make a mistake, we can maybe credit the defense. Maybe.

Here is how I see us having a chance to win:

Peyton will score his points when he has the ball so we have to just keep him off the field. There is no reason, Esp with the type of offense we run and how mediocre their defense is also that we can't have 4-6 drives of at least 5-6 minutes. That's half the game right there that he isn't playing.

Secondly, no one is putting enough mention on Peyton's ankle. The game planning work horse he is, when he misses practice something is wrong. One hit could knock him out and to be quite honest if that happens the spread flips from Skins +13 to skins -7 if he gets knocked out early.

Beyond the fact that he may get knocked out the one knock on Peyton's game the past few seasons is his arm strength. This could be exaggerated by his ankle if he can't plant properly and the guy throws wobblers already. If his mechanics are off he is not the same just as Any qb that is injured. We have to take shots at him early even if it causes a penalty to knock him off his game, esp if we are down.

Also with a bum ankle he will not be able to shuffle in the pocket as effectively.

The Broncos are also allowing almost 400 yards per game and is still without bailey and their secondary is actually worse than ours. Rahim Moore is prob the worst safety in the league. We can definitely eat clock against these guys.

It won't be pretty and we are not the better team right now but we def have a bit if luck that Peyton will not be 100%. If RGs mobility allows for the offense to stay balanced and eat clock and finish drives we DO have a fighting chance.

Add in that they are averaging just over 2.5 sacks a game and that both their leading sack guys in Phillips and Ayers are banged up and RG might have a field day unless Von miller returns to last years form, but he only had two tackles last week.

Uh......it's called being a diehard redskins fan and believing in the team every Sunday....? Ever heard of that?

Been a fan for a long time -- I root for the team every weekend to win.  But I, like some other fans have a large degree of objectivity and look at things with out the use of burgundy and gold glasses.  There's a reason the Broncos are favored by 12 and a hook.  The Broncos offense is good, the Redskins defense is bad.  Pretty simple, but that doesn't mean the Skins can't win the game.  Turnovers, mistakes, execution on offense/defense -- all that comes into play.  The Skins have a chance but it's hard for me to believe that they'll win the game -- especially after watching a backup QB for the Bears slice and dice the Skins at home last weekend.

First and foremost we all have to understand the game is rigged. The game isn't made for stopping offenses anymore. If it's a low scoring hardnosed gritty game the first thing you hear is it was a snoozer. Forget the notion that the defense plays too. If the game doesn't produce big gaudy numbers then both teams struggled. Call me a purist but there used to be nothing wrong w/ winning a 17-13 game. Now that simply means both teams were bad.

Look back at the Ravens game. It wasn't until Oher went down that the Broncos were able to make a move. The Ravens couldn't pass block or run. The Colts aren't exactly defensive big dawgs. Statistically their middle of the pack. Mathis managed to dominate the LE and keep Peyton off rhythm. Their corners played physical and really challenged the WRs. I mean c'mon, Landry started at SS and it was his first game back. Dare I remind anyone what his coverage skills are?

IMHO, we gotta go out there and be consistent offensively. Denver's run D numbers are artificially inflated. The way they've been able to get up early has forced the opposing teams to abandon the run. The playcalling and aggressive play of RGIII will be a major factor. (provided Kyle doesn't get cute w/ the reverse again)

The other two major factors will be ST and defensive playcalling. Holiday is just as dangerous if not more than Hester. ST played slightly better than the dallass game. Not by much but still better. Secondly and most importantly Haz's playcalling. We can not play off in a soft cover one like we did against Detroit. Manning will shred us w/ crossing routes and slants. Hall is more than capable of playing D. Thomas in man. There's no way Fletcher keeps up w/ their TE so we'll have to do some type of bracket or spy coverage to minimize him.

Plus, who we've beaten. Two backup QB's. And yes, we're 2-4 and they're 6-1.

And the Broncos have beat the Raven 3-4, Giants 1-6, Raiders 2-4, Eagles 3-4, Cowboys 4-3, and Jags 0-7.  I say we have a pretty good chance.

And the Ravens, Giants, Eagles Cowboys, and even Jags all played them tough in the first half. They aren't unbeatable by any stretch.

Can you elaborate?

Landry was good, he was just not a warm and cuddly fan favorite, so I think that skews people view of this time here. 

He also played out of position for awhile right?

I wish we kept him, hell, I wish we kept Carlos, bad hands and all. 

I think we'll keep the game this weekend close with Rak and Ryan but halfway through the 2nd Quarter Peyton and Co. will start killing with us the short pass game and we'll be down by three TD's by half. 

By the way, here's a great thread started by a Skins fan over on the Broncos message board. good discussion going on: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?226291-Redskins-fan-here

Archived