Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Defense Is Built To Stop Elite (Broncos) Offenses

truskinsfan18

OP-

No. Our defense is not built to stop Manning.

It would be super ugly if we played the Broncos.

The trouble is we do play the Broncos and it will be ugly. It might not be much better against the Cowboys this weekend - our only hope of stopping their offense is to be super agressive and hope Romo sits to pee chokes.

I don't think so.  Our d is designed to get pressure, but plays soft coverage.  Manning should kill that.  Look at what accurate QBs have done to us with three step drops.  If our D was able to play tight coverage for 3-6 seconds, then the rush might have a chance to get there.  Right now, it's being neutralized too easily.

Maning was continuously getting balls off in under 2 seconds.  Given that our coverage has been exploited and out-chessed by almost everyone else... this D is really unlikely to hold against what the Broncos do.

Unfortunately with our coaching and players, it can't compete against marginal offenses.

Apparently everyone here has forgotten the Packers game.

That is what elite qb's do to this defense when they play 10 yards off the ball and they can use the quick passing game to negate the pass rush.

The trouble is we do play the Broncos and it will be ugly. It might not be much better against the Cowboys this weekend - our only hope of stopping their offense is to be super agressive and hope Romo sits to pee chokes.

When we play the Broncs we should forget about defending the run. Start in nickel switch to dime at times. Every once in awhile blitz. We all know Manning will find the whole in the blitz but he'll also find the whole in the coverage. But at least when you blitz you get to hit him. The QB must go down and he must go down hard. Alternate hitting Manning with all out coverage.

Also every member of the team and all the fans should pray. Live right. Give to charity. Be kind to strangers.

Basically I would send the best 4 rushers and drop 7. I had those thoughts vs Rogers. At one point I said "**** it, put 7 CBs out there.

But I think we have to man-up each receiver at the least. We need to have a man lined up overtop each and every receiver that splits out. Can't have any uncovered receivers because the routes are so short and so fast, if you don't have defender within a few yards, on a Slot guy for example, the ball is going to the Slot receiver right at the snap, as soon as Manning can get it out of his hand.

We have to either jam them at the LOS or at least have a guy within 4 to 5 ready to break on a route. Probably need to put an umbrella coverage overtop just in case anyone loses the individual man-on-man matchups, gives steps, right from the snap.

You know: 4 rush, 1 LB, 5 CBs and 1 SAF. Or 4 rush, 6 CBs, 1 SAF. Or 4 rush, 5 CBs, 2 SAFs.

Just hope that the 1 LB can Spy Moreno or Hillman and make a tackle on a draw or stretch or screen dumpoff. Hope that the DBs can peel off blocks to make a tackle in space on a run, help in run support. But mainly have enough CBs on the field who can press, turn & run in the hip pocket vs pass. Losing Crawford hurts big in this regard - imo. 

That same record breaking offense of the 2007 Patriots was stopped by the Giants, who had a devastating pass rush.

This Goes further in proving that a dynamic offense can be stopped by a prolific pass rush.

....And how about that pathetic Broncos secondary torched for over 500 passing yards by none other than  Tony (Pick me off )Romo sits to pee.

they have  a history of giving up huge passing plays.the Ravens torched them good

We are top 5 in sacks. I'm curious how we are doing in qb pressures, but I'm sure we're up there.

The one way to stop Peyton is to get pressure on him. Teams haven't been able to do that this year. I am betting we can fluster him.

I bet we don't get close.  We can't cover on the back end, so that ball will be out to somebody wide open before Kerrigan and Co get anywhere close.  And we kinda have a tendency to get flustered and look like a chicken with our heads cut off.  I see an opening week Philly situation where our guys are doing a lot of chasing and looking around wondering what hit 'em.  I don't trust Haslett vs Peyton.  That matchup is pretty one sided.

So far 3 out of 4 teams we've played have scored more than their season average against us. The Broncos are averaging 46 ppg. It's going to be hideous.

I will be stunned if we give up fewer than 1000 passing yards over the next 3 games.

Our chances of winning vs the big guns have improved now that Kyle has finally accepted his offense was not built to overcome big deficits and his game plan was hindering our team. He finally caved and added hurry up. Look around the league. It's a pass happy league. It has been for 10+ years now.

Its a track meet and I am glad Kyle has finally laced up the running shoes. It is short sighted for him to game plan every week for our defense to not get lit up, have no provision for when it does.  It took for us to get torched 3 weeks in a row to add the obvious wrinkle to our offense, but better late than never.

Defenses just cannot stop some teams or QB's. It's ok, why pretend otherwise. Sometimes its better to not to bet on the under, but prepare for the over. 

A fine approach is to try to counter attack ourselves. But it must feature an OC with the acceptance that pressuring teams does not mandate running first.

We are not built to stop Denver's offense. We are finally recognizing the need to have to run with them. That is huge folks!  I cant wait to see our offense after the bye week.

Anything positive our D does, is gravy.

Not sure why people create these threads to be teased or shot down.  It's bad enough that people have no faith in this team but making these optimistic threads only add fuel to the fire especially when there is no tangible evidence suggesting otherwise.

In other words... stop making these powder puff threads and get more into a "wait and see approach."

Our chances of winning vs the big guns have improved now that Kyle has finally accepted his offense was not built to overcome big deficits and his game plan was hindering our team. He finally caved and added hurry up......

Has he though? One game out 53 is a LOT to hang your hat on man. And at that it was stop start last time out. He went to it by forced situation. It works, we get back int he game. Then it disappears as fast as it appeared. 

Hail. 

Our chances of winning vs the big guns have improved now that Kyle has finally accepted his offense was not built to overcome big deficits and his game plan was hindering our team. He finally caved and added hurry up. Look around the league. It's a pass happy league. It has been for 10+ years now.

Its a track meet and I am glad Kyle has finally laced up the running shoes. It is short sighted for him to game plan every week for our defense to not get lit up, have no provision for when it does.  It took for us to get torched 3 weeks in a row to add the obvious wrinkle to our offense, but better late than never.

Defenses just cannot stop some teams or QB's. It's ok, why pretend otherwise. Sometimes its better to not to bet on the under, but prepare for the over. 

A fine approach is to try to counter attack ourselves. But it must feature an OC with the acceptance that pressuring teams does not mandate running first.

We are not built to stop Denver's offense. We are finally recognizing the need to have to run with them. That is huge folks!  I cant wait to see our offense after the bye week.

Anything positive our D does, is gravy.

It's amazing what ONE victory against a team missing their starting QB can do to a fanbase.

i wish we had chase minnifield and richard crawford on the roster... crawford is really quick and can cover guys like wes welker and minnifield can jam up even big receivers at the line. stop the receivers from running their natural routes and get to peyton in the meantime.

I will hang my hat on that game because it was about closer to about 150 games overdue, for a Washington offense to try hurry up.  It worked.  Oakland was stunned. It turned that game around.  Had it failed, I would not be here saying there is hope that he retains it in his weekly game plan. We are all about practice. Now we know we practice it. 

And DM, it is amazing what winning 100% more games than we had in the 3 weeks before does. Winning cures all. It's how we made the playoffs year, running off 7 straight. It's why losing to Seattle sucked arse.

Victory is the only thing that can unite all ESers. Don't dismiss anything that can do that.

Winston knows

528187_L1.jpg

Not sure why people create these threads to be teased or shot down. It's bad enough that people have no faith in this team but making these optimistic threads only add fuel to the fire especially when there is no tangible evidence suggesting otherwise.

In other words... stop making these powder puff threads and get more into a "wait and see approach."

I feel like some people just read the thread title and not the actual thread.

Our style of defense is geared towards stopping an offense like the Broncos offense. Will we stop them? Probably not.

Manning does not have the escape ability of most qbs. If Orakpo and Kerrigan are in his face all day, he may struggle.

Our style of defense is letting the opposing offense wear themselves out by scoring so much, and then letting our own offense score in garbage time. The defense is seriously one of the WORST in the history of the entire NFL.

We're not built to beat anyone.

Going up against a team that is crushing the Greatest Show on Turf (I believe they're 13 or 14 points ahead right now).

Yeah, we're totally going to show Manning what's what.

Hilarious thread - I love joke threads!!!!

Get your stand up career going because your football knowledge is non-exsistent.

Its gonna be an ugly day to be a skins fan... this D has nothing elite about it. Good pass rush? Maybe... everything else is Crap to so-so.

The Cowboys are going to drop 35+ on them next week, more than likely.

And DM, it is amazing what winning 100% more games than we had in the 3 weeks before does. Winning cures all. It's how we made the playoffs year, running off 7 straight. It's why losing to Seattle sucked arse.

Victory is the only thing that can unite all ESers. Don't dismiss anything that can do that.

They're gonna have to do a lot more than what they did against a depleted Raiders team to convince me that they're ready for a big turnaround.

And this isn't last year.

I feel like some people just read the thread title and not the actual thread.

Our style of defense is geared towards stopping an offense like the Broncos offense. Will we stop them? Probably not.

Manning does not have the escape ability of most qbs. If Orakpo and Kerrigan are in his face all day, he may struggle.

The thing is, NYG and BAL both rely heavily on QB pressure. They both got torched by Manning. 

Just having a good rush against a QB like Peyton is too simplistic a strategy. 

The Skins defense under Gregg Williams in 2007 wasn't bad, but when we went up to New England that season, Brady and his backups hung 52 on us (ok, one of their TDs was a defensive one).  The Broncos might have the best offense since that 2007 Patriots team.

I was thinking--this is what is going to happen when we play the Broncos in a couple of weeks...

Archived