Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 16: Donald Trumps wins Presidency. God Help us all!

88Comrade2000

While the people he surrounds himself with worry me, I am still holding out hope that Trump will be a positive leader for this country.  That all of the fear tactics and emotion based policies were just a show for the campaign.

I'm hoping that he seems normal now that he has the power.  He can't be worse than Bush, right?

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

While the people he surrounds himself with worry me, I am still holding out hope that Trump will be a positive leader for this country.  That all of the fear tactics and emotion based policies were just a show for the campaign.

I'm hoping that he seems normal now that he has the power.  He can't be worse than Bush, right?

He can be many magnitudes worse than Bush, and has given everything he's said and done so far there's isn't any indication he'll be anything other than that.

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

His appointment of Bannon as one of his top guys indicates he has no inclination to run a serious administration 

hold on to your asses

10 hours ago, bearrock said:

Oil and gas extraction hit 250k+ in late 70s/early 80s and has dipped below a recent high of 200k so I would say they have not come back. (Biggest recent growth has come from North Dakota, so I don't think that's helping those old oil towns in Texas.

But you really think manufacturing jobs will come back to the rust belt?  What Trump and/or Republican policy are you expecting to pull that off?  Are they going to lower the minimum wage?

And that was with fewer people so a larger percentage.  It has taken 30 years of population growth, and we still don't have the same absolute number of jobs (i.e. in terms of economic impact the jobs are not as significant), but you don't understand.  Actual numbers don't matter!  All that matters is the story and perception.

20 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

He can be many magnitudes worse than Bush, and has given everything he's said and done so far there's isn't any indication he'll be anything other than that.

He'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than Bush.  Lying (or at least misinforming) to get us into war.  Crashing the economy.  Those are some pretty big shoes to fill.  I think we tend to forget how bad Bush truly was.

Just trying to give the guy a fair shake.  

32 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I hope so.  

Although I also have to confess that the thought of him deciding to dial it back, and let his staff guide him, doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy, either.  Because I assume that said staff are going to consist mostly of people who the GOP talked him into picking.  (Things like his short list for the SC simply being taken from the Heritage Foundation, for example.)  

Still, I've seen some reasons to be optimistic.  Things like him bringing up the infrastructure bill as an early priority.  To me, if he decides that he's going to push for that, ahead of repealing Obamacare or passing a tax cut, that would go a long way towards convincing me that maybe he won;t be so bad.  

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

He'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than Bush.  Lying (or at least misinforming) to get us into war.  Crashing the economy.  Those are some pretty big shoes to fill.  I think we tend to forget how bad Bush truly was.

9/11, Katrina, and the Great Recession all hitting during his watch certainly didn't help his "quarterback rating".  

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

Still, I've seen some reasons to be optimistic.  Things like him bringing up the infrastructure bill as an early priority.  To me, if he decides that he's going to push for that, ahead of repealing Obamacare or passing a tax cut, that would go a long way towards convincing me that maybe he won;t be so bad.  

That's what I thought too. But I don't know if that will happen. His biggest support so far for that claim has come from Democrats in both chambers. A lot of highly influential right leaning think tanks have strongly come out against it already.

Not sure if it will be a good look for his party if one of his first major bills is one where Democrats are more in support than Republicans.

Just now, No Excuses said:

That's what I thought too. But I don't know if that will happen. His biggest support so far for that claim has come from Democrats in both chambers. A lot of highly influential right leaning think tanks have strongly come out against it already.

Not sure if it will be a good look for his party if one of his first major bills is one where Democrats are more in support than Republicans.

Honestly, I like it. he doesn't owe anyone anything so if they don't want to get on board, you know he will have no problems using the bully pulpit. 

7 hours ago, twa said:

Did he make a serious push for single payer?

Did he make a serious push for immigration reform?

What exactly did he fight for

I'm not a fan of the ACA (also related to your other post) or a public option, but he did fight seriously for a public option.

And he couldn't get it.  To suggest that it would have been possible to get a single payer system when he could not even get a public option is laughable.

53 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I'm not a fan of the ACA (also related to your other post) or a public option, but he did fight seriously for a public option.

And he couldn't get it.  To suggest that it would have been possible to get a single payer system when he could not even get a public option is laughable.

politifact says he did not

I sure don't remember it either, now you might be right that passing it would be impossible

most things are if you don't try.

Interestingly, Trump may be the most...reasonable?  Moderate? Non-ridiculous? person in his administration.

He seems to want to get infrastructure done and probably will work with Dems on it.  He has seemingly an interest in keeping aspects of the ACA in place, despite his previously crazy rhetoric.  I think Trump is terrified at what will be required of him and he will work with 

But his appointees?  Much harder to see them as decent stewards of government.

They're sort of outside the loop a bit.  EPA head (or Education secretary) is tied to the President, and less to Congress.  They are mostly able to do whatever they want to do within the confines of their powers.  Generally that includes completely shutting everything down, or royally screwing things up.

The one fly in the ointment is Bannon.  He is downright malicious, and is both out of the Congressional loop while also being able to influence it.  He can whisper in Trump's ear and push Trump away from reasonable compromises and towards hard line alt-right positions.

Archived