Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 16: Donald Trumps wins Presidency. God Help us all!

88Comrade2000

8 hours ago, zoony said:

Dems have turned their back on the working class in favor of the poor

the working class is much closer to the poor than academics running the Democratic Party and have radically different ideas about why they are poor, mainly because they themselves are usually one or two paychecks away from the breadlines

Now, you've just stated (or at least, kinda stated) what I think is the biggest con job that's been foisted on Americans, possibly in history.  

The notion that the working class are hurt, by helping the poor.  

It seems glaringly obvious, to me, that the exact opposite is true.  That things like welfare, and the minimum wage law, raise the standard of living of at least low wage workers.  

At least, the folks I think of, when I say "working class".  Yes, I understand that, say, my doctor is "working class", too.  At least technically.  He gets a paycheck for his work.  But to me, the label "working class" refers to people like plumbers, nurses, teachers, cops.  Folks who live paycheck to paycheck.  Let's say, median income or lower.  

Because things like welfare give the low wage worker more power at the negotiating table.  

To me, welfare changes the negotiations for how much a given low-wage job is worth from: 

"You'll take $3 an hour, or you'll be homeless"

to 

"You'll pay me $8 an hour for that manual labor, or I'll just go on welfare, and get less money for less work".  

And (it seems obvious to me) that artificial inflation of the low wage worker's pay, then affects the market price for lots of other jobe at the low end of the pay scale.  

I'm firmly convinced that that's why the corporate class has been waging a "war on welfare" for the last several decades.  Welfare is interfering with their desire to cut the pay of their workers.  

It's actually to the working class' advantage, for the poor to be cared for.  For there to be a minimum standard of living.  

- - - - 

There's a joke I'd read a while back, that I think summarizes the discussion on this topic, lately.  

A CEO, a Tea Partier, and a union guy are in a conference room.  On the table is a plate with a dozen cookies.  

The CEO takes 11 of the cookies, and turns to the Tea Partier:  

"Watch that union guy.  He wants half of your cookie."  

3 minutes ago, visionary said:

Well a common enemy does make for quite a unifying force.  So I guess there's that.

Off topic: Gah!  I only wanted to quote that last tweet, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to delete them in this new posting system.  If I got to the end and hit backspace a bunch of times, I can delete the last one, but that's the one I want to keep, and hitting backspace from above it for some reason doesn't delete the other ones. :taz:

2 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I tried that and it only deleted the spaces and the cursor jumped all over the place.  I just want my BBcodes back :(

Hmmm, I tried it 3-4 times and didn't have any trouble. 

Maybe try deleting the stuff you don't want by pressing delete above them and stopping when you get to what you want to save.

25 minutes ago, visionary said:

Hmmm, I tried it 3-4 times and didn't have any trouble. 

Maybe try deleting the stuff you don't want by pressing delete above them and stopping when you get to what you want to save.

I always hit enter a couple times first to give myself some space to maneuver and then delete from there.

1 hour ago, zoony said:

Yah thinking about closing this thread. Not very productive anymore, seems more like an outlet for ocd

I agree it isn't as productive as it could be.  my concern is if you close it, we will just end up with 10 unproductive new threads.  not sure how to fix it though.  just my $.02

Just thinking that this thread has kinda become a bucket ("basket"?) for All Things Politics.  

Which, I assume, a whole bunch of people would prefer to have segregated into it's own little segment.  

Although, me, it does seem irritating, checking in and discovering that while I was asleep, the thread added eight pages.  

7 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just thinking that this thread has kinda become a bucket ("basket"?) for All Things Politics.  

Which, I assume, a whole bunch of people would prefer to have segregated into it's own little segment.  

Although, me, it does seem irritating, checking in and discovering that while I was asleep, the thread added eight pages.  

Lets try closing this.  this has become a catch all politics thread, which was not the intent

• zoony locked this topic

Archived