Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pft: Schwartz Praises Shanahan's Sportsmanship After Lions' Camera Fails

Toe Jam

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/23/schwartz-praises-shanahans-sportsmanship-after-lions-camera-fails/

In all NFL games, teams use overhead cameras to take pictures of how

opposing teams line up, then study the photographs to make in-game
adjustments. But in Sunday’s game in Washington, the visiting Lions
found their overhead camera malfunctioning.

Fortunately for Detroit, when Washington coach Mike Shanahan found
out at halftime that the Lions’ equipment wasn’t working, he instructed
his staff to let the Lions use Washington’s pictures. And Lions coach
Jim Schwartz said afterward that he appreciated Shanahan’s generosity.

click link for more

One little thing I noticed at the end of the game.  As the final gun sounded, Jim Schwarz tore off his headphones and angrily slammed them to the ground.  It was just a brief WTF moment for me... like, what was he so pissed off about? 

So maybe it was his frustration over the faulty technology that plagued him during the game.  But if those Motorola headphones are home team equipment, I hope he gets charged for breaking them.

Why don't we give them our QB helmet as well..

It was a class act but wasn't our problem.

I agree, not our problem.  It's not his fault the Detroit's camera went out.  Tough luck.    

But I really wonder if the praise is warranted.  The league may have given Shanahan a choice and said you can give him your pictures or you can both not use them.  Because why would this be any different than the headset rule?  You hear about the headsets going out a lot more than the cameras, so maybe it's such a rare occurence Schwartz didn't know the rule (if there is one) and thought Shanahan did it out of the goodness of his heart.  

The reason its OUR problem is because they're in our house. Its not like they bring their own camera and hook up their own wiring. They rely on our in-house cameras (one designated to them).  Sharing ours is the right thing to do.

Then by that logic, its our problem when headsets go out as well.

So when an opponent's headsets go out, should we retire ours for the spirit of the game as well.

The reason Detroit accepted OUR cameras is because they knew it would HELP them.

They won, on to week 4.

I think by rule you have to set aside your headset if the opponent's goes out.I mean, what's to say in my stadium the opponent's stuff always malfunctions?this is what they try to avoid. Cheating bull****.~Bang

I'm not familiar with the rule. Is it the same with camera angles?lol

Why don't we give them our QB helmet as well..

It was a class act but wasn't our problem.

Possibly because there is pretty much no damn difference between what our camera shows and theirs? Its not like the camera is capturing our coaches calling plays.

Anyway, I can understand the "**** them; its not our problem" sentiment from a certain point of view (aka winning at any cost), but I'd guess that Shanny isn't necessarily the kind of guy who wants win based on a cheesy advantage like that. Besides, if you can't beat a team without them being deprived of the ability to analyze whats going on (basically being blind) then you shouldn't even be out there.

Classy move.

For those of you saying tough luck here's something to chew on. Sportsmanship is a very important thing in football or for that matter any sport. Teams tend to play less dirty against you if your good sports which leads to keeping players healthy, and let's not forget how dirty Detroit is known for being. If you doubt this, and I'm not saying this is the entire reason, but go back and watch the run out of bounds by Griff when the defender threw up his hands and let Griff run out of bounds untouched. That defender could have blown Griff up, and it would have been a legal hit, but decided to let him go out without being hit. Now I'm not saying it was because of Shanny doing what he did but your foolish if you don't think teams play other teams different depending on their sportsmanship. Just food for thought for those saying too dang bad.

One little thing I noticed at the end of the game.  As the final gun sounded, Jim Schwarz tore off his headphones and angrily slammed them to the ground.  It was just a brief WTF moment for me... like, what was he so pissed off about? 

So maybe it was his frustration over the faulty technology that plagued him during the game.  But if those Motorola headphones are home team equipment, I hope he gets charged for breaking them.

I noticed that also and pondered wtf is his problem. I took it as ''yes! we finally broke that streak of losing in washington''. Otherwise what's his problem? Harbaugh should have smacked him harder last year.

Archived