Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Think We All Know A Good Football Team When We See One...

Hardcore Zornography

You didn't hear us in '05, '07, and last year too, eh?

No, I definitely remember those 1-3 playoff years.  Each time, they squeaked in to the playoffs, quickly lost, and failed to follow-up the following season.  So that's what this team has become?  Just happy to make the playoffs, pull a few 1-and-dones, and call it a great year?  That's the Shanaplan?!?!  Big whoop.  But I guess we can still look down on the Browns and Jags though!  Yeah skins!! 

This thread points out another reason why I hate preseason.. Get our hopes up looking at a very small sample size of opposing teams starters, then when "actual" gameday gets here we're shocked back into reality.. Stunned even..

I keep seeing this stated, but I honestly did not see one person declare we'd be world beaters because we went 4-0 in the preseason. People were saying that putting the score aside, it was a good sign that we were playing well from the starters to the camp fodder. I think most people (myself included) were hopeful for this season because we had a good draft, we were getting players back from injury and that they had gained confidence off of last year. I wish you guys would stop with this preseason hype BS. Nobody said that or maybe that's what you believed and don't want to admit it,

The quality preseason performances are what make this season so depressing. A large part of preseason is simply getting your discipline back after the offseason, and we appeared to have the fundamentals down as well as any team in the league. Then we promptly abandoned them the second the games started to count.

BAD COACHING.

It dawned on me yesterday that we are what we are.  We live and die by RG3, that's obvious, but his outstanding play last year masked lots of flaws on this team that we had prior to drafting him. A horrendous defense, an O-line that cannot pass protect, sloppy special teams and a knack for stupid penalties. 

I do think we will get better as RG3 gets more comfortable, but as of now, this is a 7 win team at best.  Just too many holes for one man to plug.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Besides the fact you used the exact argument I asked people not to...

Spurrier opened up his entire playbook that preseason. Was in way over his head. We hadn't had a taste of success in a decade before he arrived, and we blindly jumped at the opportunity to be excited.

But, ok, if you honestly want to compare this entire group to Spurrier's entire group, then you just don't WANT to succeed at this point. That's on you.

lol osaka . you had me buying in for a little bit. Hindsight is 20/20.

Unless Dan Snyder hires a GM and then leaves that GM alone and let's the gm hire the coach; we will never know good consistant football here in D.C.

We may get lucky with a team that gets on a roll and that roll goes all the way to at least a superbowl appearance; but if Snyder doesn't give us the appropriate organziation that most winning teams have, we will never really know what a good team is.

Look at the teams that have had the most year in and year out success since Dan has been an owner.

A lot of you guys will look like idiots in a few weeks when we've righted the ship. Our biggest problem thus far is turnovers. We are killing ourselves with the stupid **** and the drops. We'll be fine.

How'd that prediction work out for you?  I hate when the homers jump all over the realists for (allegedly) being lesser "fans" just because the realists won't pretend this team isn't a huge train wreck and Shanahan isn't a totally overrated coach.  It was obvious in Sept. that he wasn't trying and was just looking to get paid. 

We all saw things that apparently weren't really there this preseason.

Our backups were beating the brakes off the other teams backups.. and the logical assumption was,

if the backups are doing that, then the starters are really gonna do good.

well the starters **** the bed, and the backups didn't do much of anything in their place.

this season was the perfect storm of ****, every possible way and angle that something ****ty could happen, did.

Fact 1: We were the best team in the National Football League for the second half of the 2012 season.  Undisputed.

Fact 2: We had the Seattle Seahawks down 14-0 in points and 104-3 in yardage in the playoff game before RGIII got hurt.

Fact 3:  For some reason, our defense let up in the playoff game and allowed 24 unanswered points.

Fact 4:  We lost one good special teams player (Alexander) over the offseason.  We upgraded by getting Orakpo back as well as Merriweather, and drafting Amerson.  Our defense should have been GOOD this year.  We were a HEALTHIER team this year.  Our offense AND defense SHOULD have been better.

Fact 5:  We had the best point differential in the preseason, aside from the Seattle Seahawks.  Our starters beat other teams starters, as did our reserves.

4 wins in 4 games in the preseason

3 wins in 16 games in the regular season.

Makes no sense.

• 7 months later...

Archived