Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Think We All Know A Good Football Team When We See One...

Hardcore Zornography

i agree on some varying principles.  when watching this team (even though it is ONLY pre-season) i see a very different team from ones that have made strides in recent memory.  here are some of those reasons:

1) everything on both sides of the ball seems to be coming together at the same time.  in the recent past, we've either been really good on defense & terrible on offense or vice-versa. 

2) we have a great blend of young & old talent, but more importantly...the older vets on THIS team are extraordinary leaders both on the field & in the locker-room.

3) there's a palpable sense of Redskins pride & team unity that i haven't seen in a loooooonnnng time as a Redskins fan.  you really get the sense that everyone likes each other & they're willing to lay it all down for one another.  you can see the comeraderie...but in a professionally-friendly kind of way.  they aren't all buddy-buddy, but they root for each other & seem very unconcerned with their own individual statistical output. 

4) we have a franchise QB.  some would argue Brad "Captain Check-down" Johnson was of that caliber....but really, we haven't had a TRUE franchise QB since............ummm...Theismann?  i mean...i ABSOLUTELY LOVE Rypien & Williams...but franchise QB's they were not...if only by virtue of their over-all careers.

5) our Division just isn't that good.  sure...teams can round into form...but you can sue me for believing that our expectation should be 6-0 in our division & then trying to go .500 or better over the remaining schedule.  anything can happen on a given Sunday & all that...but from the evidence i've seen, only Dalla$$ has an explosive enough team imo to give us problems throughout a 60minute affair.........all things being status-quo. 

6) unlike any of the recent teams where we depended on stellar play from mulitple positions, & again...production coming only from 1 side of the ball, you can easily observe from the starters on through the 4th man down that we all are playing to a scheme.  we don't have guys flying around on the merits of their own athleticism (see: LaVar Arrington), or 4 incompetent linemen forcing us to run left on every rushing play.  instead what we have is a collective of individuals who seem to truly believe in the system/philosophy employed by the manager's & coaches & they simply go out & execute their jobs to a higher standard of quality.  this has been extremely apparent throughout the pre-season as we don't seem to lose ground or get exotic or vanilla once the backups come in......rather, we are running the same plays & executing them with aplomb. 

7) guys are flying around with a purpose.  the pundits aren't talking about us (they can't stop yapping about the Cowpukes though) as a team & it's likely because they aren't really paying attention...& they're sorely missing out.  there's speed all the way down the depth chart, & everyone seems to have a pretty good idea of where they need to be.  it's not perfect by a wide margin, but it's starting to look pretty solid as guys are getting into their fits, & everyone's confidence has just been rising steadily with each drive....it's been fun to watch.

these are all things that have me really excited about the upcoming season.  we're certainly not firing on all cylinders per se, & the season is a long & windy road, but the thing that jumps out at me the most is the overall cohesiveness from the top-down on our roster.  this shows a commitment to executing the scheme & a belief that it will work as long as everyone does his job....& further, that everyone believes that the next man is capable of doing just that.

i guess belief is the main thing here.  i see a team belief in...well...the team. 

i can't wait to see how this season pans out, & i've been extremely judicious in my praise for this team, but i'm just glowing right now with excitment & anticipation because i just feel that this team is made of that stuff.  totally, exponentially, more apparent than any in recent memory. 

who knows...i can be a huge homer.........but i see a Redskins TEAM, not a bunch of toys that Danny bought.

This isn't the same franchise as all the years you speak of, Total. We turned a corner last season. For real, this time. We have continuity, leadership, coaching staff of whom are not puppets like past regimes.

It's OK to be optimistic, for once. I am tired of being afraid to have high expectations for this team. I think since Shanahan's "evaluate for next year" presser, we have been on a completely different planet. We ARE allowed to not only hope for, but to expect big things from these guys now.

Dog days are over.

I agree with this post and thread. Tired of being scared. Time for the other teams to fear us. We were the 4th highest scoring team in the league without Garçon, Helu, a Davis a healthy Morgan and a healthy Griffin. Despite Losing "backups" Crawford and Keenan, we get other starters back. Time to take more of the NFC east.

This isn't the same franchise as all the years you speak of, Total. We turned a corner last season. For real, this time. We have continuity, leadership, coaching staff of whom are not puppets like past regimes.

It's OK to be optimistic, for once. I am tired of being afraid to have high expectations for this team. I think since Shanahan's "evaluate for next year" presser, we have been on a completely different planet. We ARE allowed to not only hope for, but to expect big things from these guys now.

Dog days are over.

I agree with this post and thread. Tired of being scared. Time for the other teams to fear us. We were the 4th highest scoring team in the league without Garçon, Davis a healthy Morgan and a healthy Griffin. Despite Losing "backups" Crawford and Keenan, we get other starters back. Time to take more of the NFC east.

Dont jump to conclusions. Remember Spurrier? HE WAS GOING TO TAKE THE LEAUGE BY STORM. Team looked unstopable in the pre season

I can't take you seriously when you compare the joke that was a Spurrier to two time SB champion and 20 year head coaching veteran Shanahan

I agree with this post and thread. Tired of being scared. Time for the other teams to fear us. We were the 4th highest scoring team in the league without Garçon, Helu, a Davis a healthy Morgan and a healthy Griffin. Despite Losing "backups" Crawford and Keenan, we get other starters back. Time to take more of the NFC east.

I agree with this post and thread. Tired of being scared. Time for the other teams to fear us. We were the 4th highest scoring team in the league without Garçon, Davis a healthy Morgan and a healthy Griffin. Despite Losing "backups" Crawford and Keenan, we get other starters back. Time to take more of the NFC east.

I can't take you seriously when you compare the joke that was a Spurrier to two time SB champion and 20 year head coaching veteran Shanahan

I did not compare spurrier to Shanahan. All I said was don't jump to conclusions. Be cautious. Pump the brakes.

I believe the team is good enough to be a playoff contender. Barring any major injuries.

The question is how badly will that cap penalties effect the team's ability to seek out the few missing pieces to put this team over the top into bonafide superbowl contender.

Sometimes you can land into the right guy who fits into the system or seems to have picked it up quickly. Darryl Tapp comes to mind. The guy looks like he has the potential to be a beast in this 3-4 scheme.

However there are other times the front office needs the ability to open it's wallet book and actively seek out an available stud to add to the team. That cap penalty might be going away but it effected the ability to re-sign some contracts at an earlier time, pushing it all to future offseasons.

Orakpo and Fred Davis, those could potentially be two really big contracts needing to be worked out before 2014.

I have been thinking the same thing lately. Putting aside our homerism...we all know a good football team when we view one. The Skins have serious questions about their secondary but that is the ONLY spot. How many teams are there out there can say that? How many teams can say they are strong at EVERY SINGLE POSITION. I'll help you out...the answer is none. So yes our secondary is a question mark but we do have veterans there that we can line up if Merriweather is healthy, alongside of Hall and Wilson. Amerson could even begin starting over Wilson and it wouldn't bother me since we now have a healthy pass rush.

Bottom line is if we score enough points it makes the secondary's job easier.

I haven't missed a game since 1970 and it all boils down to one simple thing...INJURIES. We will either suffer and struggle or not. HTTR!

without question. you are absolutely correct about that. unless there is an outbreak of flesh eating bacteria in the locker room, this team should be competitive in every game against any team.

In threads like these, a lot of responses (and, I swear, I've only read a few when this thread was first made a few days ago, so I hope no one thinks I'm pointing them out) make me wonder why:

1) One would care if others feel good about the team, even if the team is unlikely to be good?

2) Assume that if others feel good about the team (especially too good in the mind of the respond-er), that they will NOT be able to handle the disappointment if the team fails to live up to their expectations and, therefore, finds it necessary to caution them about their hope?

And finally...

3) Ruin the good mood of an optimistic human being before there is any reason given (read: games played and lost) to destroy said human's hope? 

In summary, let those of us who'd like to smile a little thinking about our team winning a Superbowl smile a little, even if the smile is unlikely to last. 

It's ok. It's sports. It's life. Hope is eternal because change is constant. If fans want to think we're contenders right now, let it be. Don't worry about their (possible) future disappointment and assume they won't be able to handle it. 

I did not compare spurrier to Shanahan. All I said was don't jump to conclusions. Be cautious. Pump the brakes.

It's not that we won the preseason games. That doesn't matter. As another one said, it's HOW we are winning. We are playing very well in all three phases of football. We've been pumping the brakes for 20 years. Time to step on the gas. Now, with that said, I'm not saying we'll go 14-2 or 15-1, but we can contend for the division and a top seed and I'm confident we can do some damage in the playoffs.

I believe the team is good enough to be a playoff contender. Barring any major injuries.

The question is how badly will that cap penalties effect the team's ability to seek out the few missing pieces to put this team over the top into bonafide superbowl contender.

Sometimes you can land into the right guy who fits into the system or seems to have picked it up quickly. Darryl Tapp comes to mind. The guy looks like he has the potential to be a beast in this 3-4 scheme.

However there are other times the front office needs the ability to open it's wallet book and actively seek out an available stud to add to the team. That cap penalty might be going away but it effected the ability to re-sign some contracts at an earlier time, pushing it all to future offseasons.

Orakpo and Fred Davis, those could potentially be two really big contracts needing to be worked out before 2014.

Honestly, the cap penalty might have helped us in some ways by forcing the front office to depend on the draft for young talent.  It probably increased the demands on our scouting department; thus, resulting in quality drafts.  Even with the cap penalty, we still kept virtually all of our players with the exception of Lorenzo Alexander.  I'm not sure what our cap is going to be like next season after the cap penalty expires, but I've read it could be any where between 30-40 million under.  

I hate to hear that the cap penalty was somehow instrumental in keeping the FO from totally ****ing the bed, can't we at least believe that they would have acted like adults w/ the other 18 mil?

I'm not looking at the preseason results, or any particular players, I am seeing the overall improvement of the franchise, TheDan is looser and more sociable, Mike "I'll break it off in your ass if I have to!" Shanahan is crackin' jokes during pressers, the lockerroom speaks with a single voice and it has been professional and motivated, every single indicator points toward a team revivified and setting lofty goals for itself, trying to make some tenuous comparison to Spurrier is just laughable.

I hate to hear that the cap penalty was somehow instrumental in keeping the FO from totally ****ing the bed, can't we at least believe that they would have acted like adults w/ the other 18 mil?

I'm not looking at the preseason results, or any particular players, I am seeing the overall improvement of the franchise, TheDan is looser and more sociable, Mike "I'll break it off in your ass if I have to!" Shanahan is crackin' jokes during pressers, the lockerroom speaks with a single voice and it has been professional and motivated, every single indicator points toward a team revivified and setting lofty goals for itself, trying to make some tenuous comparison to Spurrier is just laughable.

I agree with your post. People act like they wouldn't be able to stop themselves from overspending on bad players. Also wanted to point out that I don't think I have ever encountered that word on a message board before. Props. 

It's not that we won the preseason games. That doesn't matter. As another one said, it's HOW we are winning. We are playing very well in all three phases of football. We've been pumping the brakes for 20 years. Time to step on the gas. Now, with that said, I'm not saying we'll go 14-2 or 15-1, but we can contend for the division and a top seed and I'm confident we can do some damage in the playoffs.

We are playing so good right now it scares me. In 1991 i was in jr high. It felt so good to hear great things about your favorite team. I had a air of confidence about me. I had made card books of the starting offense and defense. I was making collages of the posse and ricky ervins earnest byner and b Mitch. I never lost that passion. Then gibbs retired and Richie Pettibon the master of our capital punishment defense( if anyone remembers that) took over for the skins as head coach. That was the beginning of my torture. In 1999 well you know the history. I want this team to win so badly it hurts. I have seen the illusion of water in this dessert of Danny growing pains.I want to swim in that championship lake again. I am tired of feeling like randy quaid in major league. lol

I haven't seen an inspired Redskins team like this in 22 years.

Me neither, which makes me believe that we have something legit on our hands.

Coaching

Management/Scouting Department

Depth

Players

Dynamic Players

I've been following this team since '95 and I've never, ever, felt as good about all 5 of these as I do now. Then you look at how (due to structure, chemistry, depth, etc) we had to overcome so much, yet still went  on a dominant 7-0 run. This wasn't "5 In A Row Or We Don't Go" or "Win 4 Sean Taylor" where the team gave everything they had, and was gassed, and eventually outmatched by the end of the year, and overachieving, with old players. This is a team full of young cats that are hungry for success, and are capable of so much more. What we saw last year was only the beginning.

The cap penalty didn't create responsibility, that was changing anyway. This team would be even better without the cap hit.

No comparison to this team and that Osaka crap. I'm basing this off of the run that got the team to being an NFC East champ and to the playoffs, not this pre season. I couldn't care less about the current pre season record.

I think 8-8 to 11-5 will happen...leaning more towards the 10-11 win side with a healthy RG3.

Archived