Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rg3 Is Prima Donna-Ish

truskinsfan18

The fact that this is a one star thread so far with five votes in tells the tale. RgIII is not Tom Brady. He come from a different culture where acting ike you've been there before is something of a foreign concept. He is loud,proud and very diciplined in his regimen which is an odd combination. That is the way it is going to be. He is not a diciplinary problem and earned the captaincy from his teammates and coaches.I prefer that he is open with the press or else when things go south he will get the Tiger Woods treatment and you "shut it" proponents will be very sorry. Right now he is in the media's good graces. You want to keep it that way and his candid interviews are part of that. Some members of this site have a not so hidden agenda and I will leave it at that.

The players and coaches do these press conferences for the fan experience and in return we tell them to stfu?

I guess I dont understand what the big deal is? There is nothing coming from the players about a locker room separation.

I think the NFL mandates some press conferences, too..

I was just thinking about this last night, and i'm starting to agree. RG3 needs to respect his coaches decision, and he shouldn't need to put his opinion out there when the decision has already been made. It makes RG3 look selfish and spoiled, like he has to get whatever he wants, and if he doesn't, he will speak up about it. It shows a lack of discipline and a lack of respect for his coach.

I mean look at Kirk Cousins, he never says that he wants to play and that he's upset that he's not starting. He keeps the same great attitude of "whatever my team needs."

Honestly it's just too much drama. RG3 really needs to keep his opinions aside. At least we have Cousins. I like KC1 more than RG3 anyway.

He was just saying what people are saying anyway. That coach, doctor and player all had a part in the injury.

And I think he did say "a little error" with that... which would include himself. Good grief (to the OP), that sounds like a diva? Sounds more to me like the coach, doctor and player have learned from this.

Good!

I hope RG3 suffers terrible emotional pain this pre-season by not playing ...

I relish seeing RG3 agonizing over preseason play

I hope he has so much emotional pain over it that he learns how to SLIDE and protect himself better.  That's what he SHOULD BE working on.

Rather than fight for two extra yards and get a concussion, run out of bounds, even if you have to punt or kick a field goal.

Rather than turn up the field into 3 defenders to get your ligaments torn, run out of bounds

This is one area where Russell Wilson is light years better than RG3 ... Wilson knows how to protect his body. Sadly I think Russell Wilson is SMARTER than RG3 and will probably have a better more injury free career.

By the way, only an idiot WANTS to play in the preseason, exposing yourself to year ending injuries in a game that doesnt count.   The only players that should be chomping on the bit to play are rookies and players trying to make the team.  Saavy Veterans dont want to play in preseason, I guarantee it.

RG3 should STFU and just continue working towards being ready opening day.

In any case, I dont trust ANYTHING RG3 says about his health and readiness to play.  Have all your turkeys already forgotten how RG3 cried and whined about how he could have played against the Browns, that he was FINE.   A few weeks later he was limping around in a knee brace against Dallas and the Seahawks.  RG3 has a superman complex and has no idea how to evaluate his own health and I am glad that Shanahan learned from last years debacle not to trust RG3, but instead to make his own decision.  RG3 must be protected from himself.

Let's say Shanahan succumbed to this pressure from RG3 and played him for a series in the 3rd or 4th preseason game.  And somebody rolls up on RG3's leg and he tears his ligaments again and is out for the year.  I guarantee an hour later there would be a thread on this board calling for Shanahan head saying how stupid it was to play RG3 in the preseason only 7 months after surgery

Agree with a lot of what Kleese and Destructis have said.  I love his competitiveness.  One thing I'll say for sure, Shanny should know now (as he should already after last season) that RG is NEVER to be trusted when it comes to his own health or worthiness to play.  He most, from now on, completely tune him out and make his own decision, that much is clear to me.

Edit: I will also say, the comments yesterday and the comments in the offseason about who was responsible (sort of pointing blame at Mike) irked me a little, too.  They didn't out and out bother me or make me like Griffin less by any means, just don't think he understands how his comments cast his coach in a bad light and deflect any personal responsibility.  Shanahan got crucified for trusting RG when he clearly shouldn't have and now is poking at Mike in the media for not letting him back out there as quick as possible.  Slow down a little and think about what you're saying, that's all.

Vanguard--- and that's te issue.. Some fans are so grateful to have him and fearful that any criticism will be taken as lacking that gratitude that they just can't bring themselves to do it even if it is warranted.

Think of it like parenting... You love your kids more than life itself and you always see the best in them. But if they say or do something that you don't like or that you think could get them in trouble, you point it out. It doesn't mean you want to take them to an orphanage or that you love then less.

Basically what you are saying is that because RG3 is so awesome and because he has helped save our franchise that he is above any criticism. That's not how I roll

Man, great analogy. Though my son is in a phase of responding to everything we try to "point out" with a "so you don't love me anymore" question. Hopefully Griffin is more self-confident than my 6-year old.

I agree with both points.  I think that this is the first time that I am a bit disappointed in his attitude.  The analogy of a young son is a good one.  Listen, Griffin is a smart enough young men to understand what Shanny is doing.  Shanny took a lot of beating in the media for leaving him in the game, and now he is being conscious with a QB who just had a serious ACL surgery.  Judging by Griffin's tweet, it sounds to me like he is spiteful because Shanny wouldn't let him play a series or two in the pre-season.  And him talking to the media about a situation in which it should be in-house really hasn't done anybody any favor.  I hope he learn form this.

Man, I take 24 hours off from Extremeskins, and then somebody has to post one of the best discussion threads in a while.  :)

Generally, I agree with the overall tone of the initial post, but I think calling Robert a "diva" in the vein of a T.O. is too strong.  YES, I think there is some merit in wanting Robert to be less blunt sometimes with the media, or even be so outgoing with journalists and social networking in general.  For me, I would rather he take a page out of the Shanny playbook and give more of a "non-answer" answer.  (which to be honest I find incredibly amusing)  The more you talk the easier it is for them to find something to drum up controversy over.  It is quite possible to talk to the media for 20 minutes and say absolutely nothing of real consequence. 

What concerns me, and what they should all want to avoid, is a situation where Robert appears to be pleading his case "to the people" about trying to play in pre-season, or getting in more work etc. before Shanny wants him to.  One thing you do not do is undermine your boss, or give the impression that you may be trying to undermine your boss, OR use your clout as the marquee player with the media or fan base to pressure the coach into doing something he is not comfortable with doing.  There may not be a problem right now, but with the type of man that Mike Shanahan appears to be if he thinks Robert is trying to undermine him like a Portis to Snyder type of thing...that will be a real easy way to get in his dog house.  I don't think Shanahan is the type of man you want pissed off at you, when he is in a position of authority over you. 

In the end, I think that Robert's whole "I can't B.S. that answer" comments would have been better left unsaid.  There was just no need to put his thoughts out there in that manner.  There was no value or benefit to the team in doing so.     

Yeah because clearly Robert cares more about endorsements, TD celebrations, and his own stats.

GTFO with this ****. I thought I could come to ES to avoid the haterade from PFT, ESPN, Facebook, Twitter and the WaPo.

Too many people, including some gullible suckers on this board apparently, believe what they read from the lowlife cretins that call themselves "sports reporters."  The only thing lower than a news reporter (there are few exceptions) is a sports reporter. Paid to dredge up controversy and get you people to click on their worthless sites. They are making 3's comments out to be something they never were! Players and coaches have had disagreements about almost everything since the beginning of sports! But for the first time that I can remember, I feel totally confident that we have a player of impeccable integrity and drive who has his AND this team's best interests at heart, and you clowns want to make him out to be a selfish jerk just like an Albert Haynesworthless. Damn you!  I mean, the guy apologized on Facebook yesterday after his presser because he thought people would think bad of him saying "B.S." for crying out loud.

Can we stop discussing this crap on ES and take this trash over to those useless sites, please?! I've never been so excited about an upcoming season in over 20 years and now this crap is being discussed ad nauseum. Sometimes I wish there was a special "Bullcrap" forum where garbage like this can be moved OUT of The Stadium!

I have never seen more complaining by Redskin fans, than I've seen this year.  I haven't been a fan as long as some others, but I've been a fan my whole life.

:rolleyes: You obviously haven't been around this board long.  This is nothing.

Complaining of this type I haven't seen.  I've lurked on the boards for a while.

I have never seen more complaining by Redskin fans, than I've seen this year.  I haven't been a fan as long as some others, but I've been a fan my whole life.

Complaining of this type I haven't seen.  I've lurked on the boards for a while.

That was sooooooo yesterday. Today is totally different

As a Redskins fan, I don't feel the need to say anything to criticize the guy.  I'm too happy to have him.  I'm surprised that someone else who is a Redskins fan would.

The Washington Capitals currently employ a 3x NHL MVP, but criticizing OV who has done at least as much for the Capitals franchise as RGIII has for the Redskins isn't far-fetched.  No Capitals fan should be under-appreciative of OV but does that mean he is above criticism, no.  The idea that you cannot criticize a player because he is good on the field is short-minded and foolish.

First post:  :lol:

After watching the Rg3 press conference today, i'm leaning towards a spoiled brat syndrome. 

O' hell no, some would say! He is a military raised kid, two parents at that, military!

Chain of command.....End of story, throw that theory out the window. He has thrown his General under the bus....

Issues raised about him begin self-centered, right out of Baylor? I believe it now. 

The way he pranced into the press room, with a big old smile, (like it was some sort of joke) then, his last comment before skipping out with that, i said it, i don't feel it, look on his face erk's me some....... 

He is trying to take the authority from Shan'. Its not what he said, it's how he said it, any goof ball should be able to tell that was not from the heart, and passed off by him like a snot nosed brat...

But, i'm still 100% a RG3 fan, he is taking his lumps, and doesn't even know it, Shan' is doing a great job with him. I will go on record and say, Shan' is not very happy right now about RG3 running into the press room! Book it!

Just my opinion of course. We all have one! 

Question:

What would Shan' & Rg3 have to gain by putting up a smoke screen for the rest of the NFL?

Smoke screen for him playing

Smoke screen to mask he's not playing?

I'll give ya one! 

Smoke screen.....Shan' and Rg3 act pissed with each other to give the impression he really can't play pre season... Rg3 "coach i want to play" Shan "nope" 

Why? The NFL wants starters playing SOME even in pre season......So a 100% healthy RG3 sitting out all pre season games might not go over well with the NFL........

How would the NFL feel about a major star not playing AT ALL (key words... At ALL) pre season, 100% healthy, to show case a QB that's going to be traded soon? 

Far out, yep, but we will never know! 

What would they have to gain by this all being one big classic smoke screen?

One more thing that gets me frustrated is that RG3 is not taking the route that AP did last year.  he didn't have press conference every week or talk about his injury.  He simply said reporters he was working and showed up week 1 and did work

No offense to AP, but his stage is light years from the one Robert is on.  Robert is the 4th most popular athlete in the WORLD (the others are soccer players). RGIII is the face of the NFL worldwide.  Can you even fathom this at the ripe old age of 23????  Think about it.  They did not badger AP like they do RGIII, and the circumstances of the injury itself lead to high drama. He is, by far, the most popular player in the NFL.  Get used to this....it's how it's going to be his entire career.  We **** about it, but I frankly, I love it.  We, the Skins, and our players are relevant for the RIGHT (yes RIGHT-this little episode blown sooooooo far out of proportition its ridiculous & bordering on sad) reasons.  Relax.  Breathe.  It's gonna be fine.  HTTR

Hard not to see most folks liking this effort on RG3's part whether they have any concerns or not. I did.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rg3-no-conflict-redskins-coach-220849016--nfl.html

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Robert Griffin III took another shot at explaining his relationship with Mike Shanahan on Tuesday, making a surprise appearance in the Washington Redskins media room to proclaim that ''there is no conflict'' between quarterback and coach.

''Just want everybody to know if there's any questions about if there's a rift between me and Coach, or if there's a conflict, there is no conflict,'' Griffin said. ''Coaches coach. I'm the player. Coach has a plan, and I'm abiding by that plan. I'm doing everything the coaches are asking me to do. I trust those guys. They want me to have a long career. And that's what part of this plan is about.''

<more at link>

From the same piece, a matter I alluded to in another post:

''Me and John Elway used to have knock-down, drag-out fights all the time. And that's part of being a competitor, and that's another reason you have great relationships with your quarterbacks.''

Even if there is tension (even serious tension at times) off and on over the years, you don't have to be 100% warm n fuzzy 100% of the time with your QBs (or vice versa) to win titles, including Lombardis. Think of the history.

Archived