Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rg3 Is Prima Donna-Ish

truskinsfan18

Some knucklehead Falcons fan said to me after the pic of him with the wedding gifts that he was just showboating...my response was,"No, he's grateful that his fans love him that much & wants to say thanks", which I still truly believe.  Sometimes, reading between the lines is key, other times, not so much.

Is RG3 a diva?

No. Terrell Owens was a diva. Chad Johnson was a diva.

RG3 is no diva. However, one aspect of his NFL career that does need improving is knowing what to say and what not to say.

Kriegel on "NFL AM" used a good line this morning when speaking of RG3's comments. He said "sometimes discretion is better than candor".

RG3 has to understand that the press is not his friend. There are many in that business that will twist, turn and take his words out-of-context because they want a story. Any story. Even if a story isn't there.

Disagreements between a QB and a head coach happen on all teams. It is what used to be called "dirty laundry". What teams strive to do is keep that "dirty laundry" in-house. I'm sure that Brady and Bellicheck don't agree on everything. However, you don't hear about it because they don't discuss it in the PCs or go on twitter to air it out. They keep it in-house.

This is what RG3 needs to learn. As Kriegel said this morning, as long as RG3 keeps giving vague answers to questions that just lead to more questions, he is feeding the beast that is keeping this non-story alive.

RG3 needs to do what P. Manning does and simply say "I trust my doctors and coaches in my treatment" and leave it at that.

Discretion is sometimes better than candor.

ArmchairRedskin writes:

Griffin doesn't schedule his own press conferences.

Exactly. The media want access to him 24/7, but Shanahan has forbid that being that it would just be a distraction. The sports media would act like paparazzi around a Hollywood celebrity if they had that kind of access.

So the Redskins have set up a weekly press conference where all the media can greet him at once, once a week, and be done with it.

I agree with a lot of what the OP said.  Don't know if "Diva" is the right word to describe it though,....

RG3 is special, intelligent, opinionated and he's a star.  He's also 23 yrs old, and as media savy as he already is won't always say the right thing or know when to keep his mouth shut.  Also, he's not calling these press conferences, the team is.

They've not even played in the 2nd preseason game and I'm already over training camp, the preseason, etc.  I just want the season to start already so we don't have to have these over analytical discussions.  Ponderous,......

I think the word "diva" is an exaggeration. If RG3 is a "diva" because he is bringing attention to himself, then truskinsfan18 is just as much of a diva as RG3 is. Truskinsfan is LOVING the attention he is getting from this thread. 

Look at my post count. Could care less about attention on a message board.  I've been a member since 2005, and my post count is 25% of your post count. 

I rarely even post, and rarely start a thread. I usually just read. I just felt that this side of the argument needs to be acknowledged a little more, because people are scared to call out RG3 sometimes on this board. 

I agree with ddub52....you got what you were looking for. Your post was for attention to how you feel about RG3rd's statements, you needed to vent.

Be honest, your panties were in a bunch and wanted to be comforted by an attention rub/soothing stroke.

You should have led the thread with "I need to vent"!

I don't think he's a diva, but I think he enjoys the spotlight. I don't consider it a big deal though since it isn't exactly a rare trait of star athletes.

I also believe that he needs to wise up about what to say in his interviews and press conferences. It's a free country and he can share whatever he wants. However, unless he enjoys endless speculation he should probably make sure that he isn't publicly showing up the organization or the coach when he talks about their decisions. That's just being a good teammate and leader of a franchise.

One last note about how we as a fan base "don't deserve" 10...I disagree. He's a big boy and it's perfectly reasonable to hold him accountable for things. Generally speaking, we have a pretty solid fan base. So, just because 100% of our fans don't blindly chant "RG3" no matter the situation doesn't mean he isn't appreciated. To my knowledge, no one has even approached the feeling that they'd trade what Griffin brings to the team to avoid the drama or spotlight that comes with it. Being a fan isn't black and white...it's OK to root for players and teams while still recognizing that they aren't infallible.

My question is why does someone in the assembled media still brings up the Seattle game. Robert and Coach Shanahan has (IMO) been asked and answered enough questions about that game and the aftermath to FINALLY put that matter to bed ONCE AND FOR ALL. There is no need to keep rehashing that subject again and again hoping to get a new or different slant on it. Time to get on with THIS COMING SEASON. Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro aka Cynic Central (Sports Fix - ESPN980) doesn't need to discuss this any more

My question is why does someone in the assembled media still brings up the Seattle game. Robert and Coach Shanahan has (IMO) been asked and answered enough questions about that game and the aftermath to FINALLY put that matter to bed ONCE AND FOR ALL. There is no need to keep rehashing that subject again and again hoping to get a new or different slant on it. Time to get on with THIS COMING SEASON. Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro aka Cynic Central (Sports Fix - ESPN980) doesn't need to discuss this any more

Ideally people would move on. However, in fairness, it's the media's job to find stories and drum up drama. All Shanahan and/or Griffin would have to say about a game 8 months ago is that they are looking forward, not backward. It's really not that hard to say that you're done answering questions about certain topics...and then actually follow through on that.

I agree he should be keeping this in house.  All he has to say is "Coach has a plan and we're sticking to it" but I'm not overly concerned.  I will say that it would be interesting to see how he handles it IF Shanny doesn't feel comfortable playing him in the 1st game of the season against the Eagles.  

Week 1 and RGIII smashing the Eagles defense can't get here fast enough. Then maybe, just maybe, all of this will stop.

His "BS" comment was unwarranted, and frankly very selfish.  He had to get that off his chest, everyone else (team, coach) be damned, and that's not cool.  He just seems to let it fly too much. 

He needs to learn when to exercise discretion and when to exercise candor. 

Not a Diva-ish interview, just an interesting read. There is also a great pic in the link which looks inspired by RG3's love of the MJ song 'Thriller'. Very similar to someone's photoshopped sig on this site lol

The RG3 Outtakes from his GQ Cover Story

My interview with Robert Griffin III at Redskins Park in Ashburn, Virginia lasted more than two hours and covered everything from the white "samurai-style" headband he'd been wearing during practice to his upcoming honeymoon (in Paris) to the status of his rehab to his thoughts on Donovan McNabb's controversial news-making comments to offer Griffin some advice on how to conduct himself as an NFL quarterback. ("I don't think Donovan is an idiot by any means," he told me. "But right now, it's probably best we don't talk.") Much of our conversation wound up in my cover story, but not all of it. Here, a few choice extras.

On comments his father gave reporters during the off-season, in which Robert Griffin Jr. expressed his opinion that RG3 should be throwing the ball more—and running the ball less—during his second season:

"He's not just a dad, he is my coach. My dad is my coach, okay? He's coached me in basketball, track, football, everything. So even though I give credit where credit is due to the coaches who have helped me through the years, my dad has been my coach. So when he says, ‘Hey, my son can throw,' he knows that. That's not just him saying that as some father who knows nothing about football. That's what he's supposed to say. He doesn't want me running when there are 260-pound guys trying to tackle me. That's just his view, and that's why I can't just say, ‘Dad, don't say that.' I can say, ‘Dad, I understand why you said that. You know, maybe you don't need to talk to the media anymore,' but I'm also not going to throw my dad under the bus to the media just because someone wants me to do that. I would never dothat. So I understand why my dad said it, and I think Coach [shanahan] understands why my dad said it, and you just move on from it."

On his rep for being a teetotaler:

"Never had a drop. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I've never done any drugs. I need my body to be at its peak performance, and I want to have a long career, and alcohol can inhibit that sometimes. And I don't need to get in trouble because I went out and got drunk one night and I don't know how to be drunk. But she"—he nodded at Rebecca, his wife, who sat with us for part of the interview—"drinks, and I don't judge, and what I've told her a bunch of times is the first time I drink, I'll drink with her. When I'm done playing and I retire, and it's time for me to go sit in a big house and do nothing all day, I'm going to drink. You know?"

On the growing sense an active NFL player will come out of the closet in the near future:

"Yeah, man. I think there are [gay players] right now, and if they're looking for a window to just come out, I mean, now is the window. My view on it is, yes, I am a Christian, but to each his own. You do what you want to do. If some Christians want to look at being gay as a sin, then thinking about other women, committing adultery—or any of those other sins that are in the Bible—those are sins, too. And God looks at all of us the same way."

On the monotony of rehab, especially the first month or so after his operation in early January:

"It's really boring. You're doing straight leg raises. You're bending your knee. What people don't realize who've never torn an ACL or have never had a significant leg injury is that you have to learn how to stand up again. You get dizzy. Sometimes you're in a wheelchair; sometimes you're in crutches. When you stand up again that's taxing on your body. It's actually very difficult for our bodies to stand up all day, and you don't realize that until you're injured."

And finally, answers to a fewquestions my nine-year-old son told me to ask him.

Favorite food?

"Quesadilla casserole. Rebecca makes it. It really is my favorite, though."

Best friend on the team?

"I'm trying to think. I'm a natural loner. I can hang out with everybody, but I don't have a best friend. Let me think. Oh. Probably [cornerback] Richard Crawford."

Scariest defensive player in the league?

"I'd have to go in our division: DeMarcus Ware. I don't ever fear a player, but D Ware, he got me good twice last year. Took my head off."

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2013/08/rg3-gq-cover-story-interview-outtakes.html

Not a Diva-ish interview, just an interesting read

The RG3 Outtakes from his GQ Cover Story

Wow, this is awesome Diplomat.  No, not diva-ish at all ... don't think the kid is a diva. 

Love the drinking answer he had ... too funny.  I think that's a glimpse into how he feels he needs to answer things, I mean, he's so open and so real.  I guess that's a double edge sword. 

Man, its a tough gig to be the #1 player on the Redskins.

If RGIII doesnt say anything he gets challenged in the press and by fans for not keeping them informed.

But if he does speak, he gets every sentence picked apart and interpeted by how ever and whom ever has an agenda.

He is a young man who is now the face of our beloved franchise, but along with that comes a huge amount of pressure.

How many people on this board can say they would handle that pressure as well as RGIII has ?

I applaud the OP for speaking his mind, but in that same vein, why should Robert not be allowed to speak his mind ??

As for me, I think RGIII is the greatest thing that has happened to the Skins in many years, and I plan to embrace as much

of all that comes with that !!!

I have never been as excited about a player like I have been about Rg3, but I'll be the first to say...he needs to shut up! He's starting to annoy me. I'm tired of hearing about his drama and him being unhappy about something. He needs to get healthy and listen to his coach. The writing is on the wall...him and Shanahan can't coexist. We will be seeking a new coach sooner rather than later.

I also wish he would stop talking so much.  Some things simply don't need to be said.  He seems to lack common sense.  This stuff has to tick Shanahan off and some of the players.  IMO, RG3 is undermining Shanahan's authority as coach and leader of the team.

Please, please, please, RG3...shut up!!!

I think he has a presser every Monday. I think the skins set it up and not rg3. I would consider him a diva as I would Brady,rogers a Peyton, etc. I do think he says a little to much

Except they're much better at it.  They manage to not drop little mini chum in the water for the media when they speak.  Maybe that comes with experience.  But other than Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, et al, those guys didn't come outta the gate as top dog with the national spotlight on them so they didn't have the opportunity to put their foot in their mouth.  

Man, its a tough gig to be the #1 player on the Redskins.

If RGIII doesnt say anything he gets challenged in the press and by fans for not keeping them informed.

But if he does speak, he gets every sentence picked apart and interpeted by how ever and whom ever has an agenda.

He is a young man who is now the face of our beloved franchise, but along with that comes a huge amount of pressure.

How many people on this board can say they would handle that pressure as well as RGIII has ?

I applaud the OP for speaking his mind, but in that same vein, why should Robert not be allowed to speak his mind ??

As for me, I think RGIII is the greatest thing that has happened to the Skins in many years, and I plan to embrace as much

of all that comes with that !!!

I don't think the fans would care if he's not keeping them informed.  When was the last time a guy got ripped by the fans for keeping his mouth shut?    The media might get frustrated, but who cares about them, it beats the alternative which is all this back and forth and discussion about what he says. 

Archived