Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rg3 Is Prima Donna-Ish

truskinsfan18

The Redskins haven't had a QB in 20 years (well, we should've kept Brad but whatever) so everyone will slurp whatever RGIII says. But hearing his press conferences, he just needs to shut his mouth instead of feeding into the nonsensical hype. Honestly, the overexposure of the knee recovery was exhausting this offseason and that's not all his fault but we get it, you want to play, well, you are the QB for the next decade, so you understand why Mike does not want you to play in a meaningless preseason game.

Nobody is turning on RGIII, it's just the whole issue is a broken record at this point. To no surprise, any slight negative comment about RGIII makes you a traitor. No, I'm just not dumb enough to believe that to like someone you can't ever be annoyed with them.

Well said. I can't stand the mentality that a lot of our fans have either. Some of these people think if you say the least bit negative thing about the guy, you are wrong. It's like you talked bad about a family member. It's really annoying.

Agreed.  Some members of this fanbase treat RGIII w. kid gloves.  It's pathetic. 

They are a polarizing organization, but I love the way Bill Belichick and Tom Brady handle the media and their pressers.  You tow the company line.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it. 

I wonder what would happen if RGIII freaked out on his offensive coordinator like Brady did. Since Brady does all the right things....

I just want to know how many ppl WATCHED the press conference and made a decision on how they feel based on body language AS WELL AS what was said

I think everyone is freakish out over what RGIII said in a joking manner. The only problem is that he is naive and gives the public avd media too much credit.

Most are idiots Rob.

I like RG3, my favorite player since ST.

That said, if he was quarterbacking the Giants, Eagles or Cowboys I'd be the first to admit that I'd be rooting for another knee injury ASAP. The guy is too good and gets a ton of press. He gets a ton of GOOD press. When he speaks, the DC area listens. For better or worse. RG3 is the new face of the game. He is a part of the new guard in the NFL.

Personally, it's great to have something like that here in DC finally.

I wonder what would happen if RGIII freaked out on his offensive coordinator like Brady did. Since Brady does all the right things....

I just want to know how many ppl WATCHED the press conference and made a decision on how they feel based on body language AS WELL AS what was said

I think everyone is freakish out over what RGIII said in a joking manner. The only problem is that he is naive and gives the public avd media too much credit.

Most are idiots Rob.

Very good post.  I think most people jump to conclusions by reading just a small quote, rather than listening to the entire press conference. 

get a life dude.  You sound like the diva and attention whore.  Youre the one being dramatic. 

They both have a fire burning and a huge individual stake in their joint efforts. Both are seeking membership among the very elite of their profession.

Bottom line---anyone can love RG3 every bit as much as anyone else and still notice some very real things (minor enough IMV) that are happening repeatedly. It's not a big issue to me at all right now,

good point ... the future is now for Shanny. If there is anyone that would be thinking "we need him to play" it's him. Yet he's showing restraint, and that must be killing him. 

On the the second point, what really worries me is Robert's potential to get way too outspoken with the S really hits the fan ... because it will at some point. 

On to the point about the being a diva. Why does he feel the need to hold a press conference to tell the media about how "I am NOT playing in the preseason"? If he is not playing in games, he should stop having these weekly press conferences.  This was not a scheduled press conference.

Is that what he did?...I could have sworn it was a member of the media asking him a question about playing in the preseason and he just answered it. I didn't realize he ushered in a bunch of journalists for the sole purpose of announcing that he is not playing in the preseason--something he's already told them weeks before, by the way lol...

Also, if the press conferences are "weekly press conferences", then it was indeed a scheduled press conference. ;)

Didn't he address the media following the game?  This press conference was not scheduled to the best of my knowledge. 
>

>> 

I have never been as excited about a player like I have been about Rg3, but I'll be the first to say...he needs to shut up! He's starting to annoy me. I'm tired of hearing about his drama and him being unhappy about something. He needs to get healthy and listen to his coach. The writing is on the wall...him and Shanahan can't coexist. We will be seeking a new coach sooner rather than later.

Did you actually watch the presser? Because there's no way in hell anyone would characterize his comments as "hearing about his drama and him being unhappy" if they did.>

Even though your post wasn't directed at me, I want to clarify that I never said RG3 was unhappy or that there is a conflict between him and Shanahan. 

1) They're all scheduled. None of them are due to RG3 calling up the press to make some kind of announcement.

2) Nope, wasn't directed at you :)

Scheduled by who?  If it's his publicist than they need to be fired. 

I'm pretty certain players have control over how much they choose to address the media. 

Press conferences are mandated by the League. RG3 has a weekly presser on Mondays. Team has limited media access to him down to one day a week.

RG3 is more under the microscope than any athelete I can ever remember.  I think it's annoying that everything he says is supposed to have "hidden meaning" and he's constantly saying one thing and meaning another.

RG3 is a good kid.  He's 23.  He's a competitor.  People are too frickin sensitive nowadays.  Dude wants to play.  Wants to win.

You don't like it, tough.  He's our QB.  Get used to it.  I'd rather have him be candid and the way he is rahter than give BS robotic answers to every question.

RG3 is more under the microscope than any athelete I can ever remember.  I think it's annoying that everything he says is supposed to have "hidden meaning" and he's constantly saying one thing and meaning another.

RG3 is a good kid.  He's 23.  He's a competitor.  People are too frickin sensitive nowadays.  Dude wants to play.  Wants to win.

You don't like it, tough.  He's our QB.  Get used to it.  I'd rather have him be candid and the way he is rahter than give BS robotic answers to every question.

All of your points in the first two paragraphs are irrelevant since no one has stated that he wasn't a good kid or that they wished he wasn't a competitor.

I am curious though...why would you prefer a franchise QB who speaks his mind and, by doing so, occasionally puts the organization in an awkward spot? Personally, I'd much rather have the opposite. Granted, Griffin doesn't do this all the time or anything, but I'm just curious about your preference here.

Urban Dictionary Diva definition:

a ****y woman that must have her way exactly, or no way at all. often rude and belittles people, believes that everyone is beneath her and thinks that she is so much more loved than what she really is. selfish, spoiled, and overly dramatic.

If we change that to the male version, does RGIII really fit the mold? Not that I can tell.

Does he really resemble TO? Hell no!!! TO has serious mental health issues and should be seeking counseling. The guy needs help. RGIII is young and naive. Big difference.

Last week a co-worker (Steelers fan) told me he can't stand RGIII and thinks he needs to shut up. I laughed at him. It felt great to have someone from a serious organization complain to me about our star player. Do I care if the rest of the league can't stand RGIII? No!!!! I love it, partly because people are jealous of his abilities and of our team for having drafted him. :-)

My impression is that RGIII is a genuine good guy. Complaints about phoniness tend to follow stand-up guys since a goody-two-shoes rubs some people the wrong way. My bet is that RGIII is putting a lot of time and effort into establishing and maintaining good relationships with his teammates.

Finally, for those of you who worry about the fallout from things RGIII says, isn't there a Communications department of some sort within the Skins organization? If so, I'm betting he gets some coaching about media interaction and that they check in on him now and then to let him know how he's doing.

I just don't see anything to worry about right now but football.

Hail to the Redskins!!!

My question is why does someone in the assembled media still brings up the Seattle game. Robert and Coach Shanahan has (IMO) been asked and answered enough questions about that game and the aftermath to FINALLY put that matter to bed ONCE AND FOR ALL. There is no need to keep rehashing that subject again and again hoping to get a new or different slant on it. Time to get on with THIS COMING SEASON. Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro aka Cynic Central (Sports Fix - ESPN980) doesn't need to discuss this any more

Ideally people would move on. However, in fairness, it's the media's job to find stories and drum up drama. All Shanahan and/or Griffin would have to say about a game 8 months ago is that they are looking forward, not backward. It's really not that hard to say that you're done answering questions about certain topics...and then actually follow through on that.
I disagree. Their job is to report the facts. If they want drama, get a job on a reality TV show.
it's just sports, dude. we're not talking about issues of national security. they're reporting on entertainment already! NFL is and always has been "reality tv". if you take it more seriously than that, you're the one who needs a reality check.

I find it hilarious how one minute football is just entertainment and shouldn't be taken seriously, then in the next breath, someone will say its a "business." People need to make up their minds.

I'm not sitting here raging and throwing things. I'd just like to stop with the drama and get down to football.

Then MAYBE "RG3 Is a Diva" isn't the thread for you. :)

Yeah, maybe not.  Like you, I let my emotions get the best of me.  I just don't like the soap-opera thing going on.  I'd rather that stay in Dallass.

My question is why does someone in the assembled media still brings up the Seattle game. Robert and Coach Shanahan has (IMO) been asked and answered enough questions about that game and the aftermath to FINALLY put that matter to bed ONCE AND FOR ALL. There is no need to keep rehashing that subject again and again hoping to get a new or different slant on it. Time to get on with THIS COMING SEASON. Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro aka Cynic Central (Sports Fix - ESPN980) doesn't need to discuss this any more

Ideally people would move on. However, in fairness, it's the media's job to find stories and drum up drama. All Shanahan and/or Griffin would have to say about a game 8 months ago is that they are looking forward, not backward. It's really not that hard to say that you're done answering questions about certain topics...and then actually follow through on that.
I disagree. Their job is to report the facts. If they want drama, get a job on a reality TV show.
it's just sports, dude. we're not talking about issues of national security. they're reporting on entertainment already! NFL is and always has been "reality tv". if you take it more seriously than that, you're the one who needs a reality check.

I find it hilarious how one minute football is just entertainment and shouldn't be taken seriously, then in the next breath, someone will say its a "business." People need to make up their minds.

I am not understanding this post at all.  since when is entertainment not a business?

People us the two terms "entertainment" and "business" separately when it's convenient for their argument.

The Redskins haven't had a QB in 20 years (well, we should've kept Brad but whatever) so everyone will slurp whatever RGIII says. But hearing his press conferences, he just needs to shut his mouth instead of feeding into the nonsensical hype. Honestly, the overexposure of the knee recovery was exhausting this offseason and that's not all his fault but we get it, you want to play, well, you are the QB for the next decade, so you understand why Mike does not want you to play in a meaningless preseason game.

Nobody is turning on RGIII, it's just the whole issue is a broken record at this point. To no surprise, any slight negative comment about RGIII makes you a traitor. No, I'm just not dumb enough to believe that to like someone you can't ever be annoyed with them.

Well said. I can't stand the mentality that a lot of our fans have either. Some of these people think if you say the least bit negative thing about the guy, you are wrong. It's like you talked bad about a family member. It's really annoying.

Agreed.  Some members of this fanbase treat RGIII w. kid gloves.  It's pathetic. 

They are a polarizing organization, but I love the way Bill Belichick and Tom Brady handle the media and their pressers.  You tow the company line.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it. 

Yep. Every athlete should know this by now. Don't and it becomes what this is. The lead story on every damn talk show.

My biggest fear is that it will blow up even more then it already has. Love RGIII, but seeing signs of a egomaniac is troubling to me.

I also LOVE his competitiveness, but some of the greatest competitors of all-time did it quietly. 

What exactly did he say?

He want's to get back out there right now b/c he busted his *** and is 100% NOW (for all of us Redskins fans) yet he supports and respects the coach's decision.

Calm the **** down.

The Skins have a superstar QB now not John ******* Beck or Rex ******* Grossman, expect what he says to be spun out of context by outside sources not fellow fans.

His dad gives quite the quote, I personally like it:

When I speak to RG2, he makes an effort to be diplomatic. "I will not tell Coach Shanahan how to do any part of his job," he says, "because he's been doing this for a long time." But he stands by his opinion—and then some.

"You tell a kid that you want him to be there for fourteen years, guess what? Historical data will tell you that the more he runs, the more subject he is to career injury," he says. "You name one quarterback out there that would rather run the football than throw the football and I'll show you a loser."

Time for a little question and answer with.... Myself (I am an awesome interviewer and interviewee)

1. Do I think RG3 is a diva?

No. Diva is a strong word and implies someone who isn't a grinder and is only worried about themselves and expects the world to now to them. I don't think that applies to RG.

2. Do I think RG3 enjoys being in the spotlight?

Yes, clearly. Blame the media all you want, but even a star player can keep the public at arm's length if they really want to. He can't control people asking him questions, but he can control the social media posts, videos, book deals, etc. None of those things are "bad" per se, but when you allow that level of access, you also become vulnerable.

3. Do I think he's stubborn and a little egotistical in comments regarding the injury?

Yes... One reason this won't go away is because RG continues to leave the door open a bit on it. He said yesterday that he doesn't understand the plan... When you say that, you leave the door open for more questions and it creates a perception of tension between him and MS. That is not media created--- it is created by RG's words.

4. Do I think his teammates may tire of it?

Yes, for sure-- especially the vets. This is where I think RG really needs to watch himself.

5. Is it all blown out of proportion?

Of course

6. Do I think there is some legit tension between RG and MS?

Yes, and you are blind if you disagree.

7. Will it all quickly fade if RG starts and plays well on 9-9?

Yes

One more note... As for the whole "Redskins fans always push stars out the door" thing....

Please name one. One.

If Robert says nothing, his silence will get over-analyzed and he'll get grilled.

If Robert says anything, every bit will get over-analyzed and he'll get grilled.

Basically he's screwed either way, and we should be thankful that he doesn't take out his angst over this lose-lose situation on the fanbase.

I am stunned that in 2013 so many people do not understand how the media works; in particular sports media. 

This.

Jason Whitlock wrote a piece that basically echos the OP. In typical Whitlock fashion, it's over the top and basically trolls for clicks. I'm not going to link to it, and I would discourage anyone from searching for it. But I will point out that if you ever find yourself agreeing with Whitlock, you're probably wrong. This thread would be an example.

Yep. Every athlete should know this by now. Don't and it becomes what this is. The lead story on every damn talk show.

My biggest fear is that it will blow up even more then it already has. Love RGIII, but seeing signs of a egomaniac is troubling to me.

I also LOVE his competitiveness, but some of the greatest competitors of all-time did it quietly. 

And some of the greatest of the greatest didn't do it quietly yet they still won at all time elite levels.

Jordan was everywhere, was considered a selfish ballhog coach killer until Phil showed up and titles started pouring in. I don't recall specific press conferences from Jordan but he did have plenty of other character flaws that are greater than the ridiculous crap RG3 has been criticized by his own fanbase for such as rap videos with his wife, twitter photos, wedding registry etc with some people questioning if we should trade him and keep Cousins.

Look at Lebron, look at Kobe now.

Ali constantly ran his mouth and was flamboyant, egotistical and disrespectful.

Point is, not everybody is Brady or Jeter but they dont have to be. Our fanbase makes too big a deal about things that do not matter. Sure he could use a little more tact in his words only because of how hyper sensitive everybody is. But that's more on everybody else not him.

Calling him a diva and an attention whore is ridiculous. Let him be who he is since it really isn't wrong or damaging anything or anyone. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

You can tell the Redskins have made it as a franchise because there's never actually anything "real" negative to report so the media continues to jump back-and-forth between the RG3 and Shanahan "rift" and the name issue lol

I was a little surprised by his comments. RG3 is an intelligent man who knows exactly how the media works.

I've no doubt that he must be frustrated at not being able to play, and watching Cousins and White excel may have compounded that frustration, but he must have been aware that he was at the least leaving himself open to mis-interpretation.

Maybe he was having a bad hair day, maybe he's sick of rehab and wants to play so badly that he got carried away, maybe there's more to it than that, <insert knee-jerk ShanaGriffin conspiracy theory here>. I don't know, and to be honest, I don't care.

A few weeks ago Morris got criticised for being too humble and for giving another, I'm just trying to improve and help my team, type interview. Go figure.

And some of the greatest of the greatest didn't do it quietly yet they still won at all time elite levels.

Jordan was everywhere, was considered a selfish ballhog coach killer until Phil showed up and titles started pouring in. I don't recall specific press conferences from Jordan but he did have plenty of other character flaws that are greater than the ridiculous crap RG3 has been criticized by his own fanbase for such as rap videos with his wife, twitter photos, wedding registry etc with some people questioning if we should trade him and keep Cousins.

Look at Lebron, look at Kobe now.

Ali constantly ran his mouth and was flamboyant, egotistical and disrespectful.

Point is, not everybody is Brady or Jeter but they dont have to be. Our fanbase makes too big a deal about things that do not matter. Sure he could use a little more tact in his words only because of how hyper sensitive everybody is. But that's more on everybody else not him.

Calling him a diva and an attention whore is ridiculous. Let him be who he is since it really isn't wrong or damaging anything or anyone. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

I don't understand your argument. 

You spend two paragraphs defending Griffin by comparing him to other greats. No one said that his loose lips will keep the Redskins from winning. All you are doing, if I'm understanding properly, is telling a group of people not to be bothered by something that bothers them.

Most in here have said it's a very small issue. Everyone has said that they support him. Everyone has also conceded that it's being blown out of proportion by the media. So why are so many of you guys being so vigilant about defending Griffin? The man is allowed to be imperfect and make mistakes. He won't disappear or melt if we point out things he does wrong.  

Archived