Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rg3 Is Prima Donna-Ish

truskinsfan18

Solutions to it all.....

Fans should stop caring and watch them play.

We would all love to stop caring.

He is creating a media circus.  Not sure how anyone can think this is good for the team.

Redskins love a media circus every year for some reason.

Solutions to it all.....

Fans should stop caring and watch them play.

This is an Internet message board. Why are we here if not to discuss the Redskins? During the doldrums of preseason/training camp, the press conference of our recovering franchise QB is going to generate discussion. When you throw in the fact that he made some comments that could certainly be interpreted as <insert your own description here>, then it's going to generate conversation.

If this happens on an October Wednesday, it's hardly news. But it happened on an August Monday. It happened near the end of an 8-month period of time when many have been wondering how our QB will bounce back from an injury sustained in a playoff loss.

If there are fans out there who want to just watch the games on fall Sundays (and I know plenty of them), that's fantastic (and quite honestly probably more healthy). But many of us are here to react to Redskin news so we do just that.

I just love how black and white some of you are. If you are the least bit critical of RG3, you are then a hater who doesn't deserve to root for him.

I love RG3. He came in and totally revitalized my team and the fanbase. He is as fun to watch as any player I have ever seen and I like him personally.

I also think he puts himself out there too much and that he has loose lips when it comes to things that should be more internal--especially when it comes to publicly criticizing his coach. I could see some of his teammates tiring of it all.

Read those previous two paragraphs again... If at that time you think that makes me or anyone else who agrees, a hater-- then I stand guilty as charged.

RG3 is a passionate guy and a professional football player; he wants to play, plain and simple. Does he need to learn how to dance around reporters questions and give vague and empty answers? Absolutely. But does that make him a diva? I honestly don't see how.

I just love how black and white some of you are. If you are the least bit critical of RG3, you are then a hater who doesn't deserve to root for him.

I love RG3. He came in and totally revitalized my team and the fanbase. He is as fun to watch as any player I have ever seen and I like him personally.

I also think he puts himself out there too much and that he has loose lips when it comes to things that should be more internal--especially when it comes to publicly criticizing his coach. I could see some of his teammates tiring of it all.

Read those previous two paragraphs again... If at that time you think that makes me or anyone else who agrees, a hater-- then I stand guilty as charged.

Nice post. There do seem to be a group that are far too black-and-white here. I'm pretty much as big a homer as there is and I think Griffin screwed up yesterday. Not horribly. Not to the point where it will ever be a big deal. Not so much that I don't like him or still think he's the best thing to happen to the Redskins in 20 years. None of that. I just think he inadvertently painted the coaches into a corner and it wasn't necessary. I don't think he needed to say anything about not agreeing with or understanding Shanahan's plan. He could have gotten the same point across simply by saying "my mind understands it's the right choice, but my heart wants to play now."

If any marginal Redskin player is quoted as stating that the coach gave his word and that's all you have as a man, it would rub people the wrong way. A select few players over the years (Cooley, Portis, etc.) have gotten different treatment from some fans. It makes no sense to me. Whether you are Matt Stevens (I hated him so I'm using him as an example) or Robert Griffin III, you should be held to the same standards when it comes to what you share about the internal workings of the locker room.  

RG3 is a passionate guy and a professional football player; he wants to play, plain and simple. Does he need to learn how to dance around reporters questions and give vague and empty answers? Absolutely. But does that make him a diva? I honestly don't see how.

Diva is a strong term, but most in here are simply stating that he needs to share less. I know I don't hold it against him that he's passionate about what he does and wants to be on the field. Quite the opposite.

As a Redskins fan, I don't feel the need to say anything to criticize the guy.  I'm too happy to have him.  I'm surprised that someone else who is a Redskins fan would.

I guess I just don't understand that logic. I love my family, more than life. I'm able to acknowledge and concede when they make mistakes or do something wrong. Admitting that Griffin didn't handle something perfectly (and is developing a trend for that) isn't the same as not appreciating him or being happy to have him. He's not going to leave if TD_WASHINGTONREDSKINS thinks he can do a better job of slamming the door on some of these topics.

I sometimes think that there are some fans (not you, necessarily) that value individual players over the team. Personally, I'd enjoy a Grossman-led Super Bowl season over any kind of non-Super Bowl season with Griffin. That's coming from someone who believes Rex is easily the worst QB to ever play in a Super Bowl. I love the Redskins.

Diva is a strong term, but most in here are simply stating that he needs to share less. I know I don't hold it against him that he's passionate about what he does and wants to be on the field. Quite the opposite.

I completely get that. But some in here seem to be so over the top. Yeah, he needs to be less forthcoming and less blunt. But lets look at the big picture: He flat out agreed that he doesn't have to like it or agree with it. So obviously he and Shanahan are on the same page. It's just getting overblown as usual. Comes with the territory of having a star QB.

Vanguard--- and that's te issue.. Some fans are so grateful to have him and fearful that any criticism will be taken as lacking that gratitude that they just can't bring themselves to do it even if it is warranted.

Think of it like parenting... You love your kids more than life itself and you always see the best in them. But if they say or do something that you don't like or that you think could get them in trouble, you point it out. It doesn't mean you want to take them to an orphanage or that you love then less.

Basically what you are saying is that because RG3 is so awesome and because he has helped save our franchise that he is above any criticism. That's not how I roll

Vanguard--- and that's te issue.. Some fans are so grateful to have him and fearful that any criticism will be taken as lacking that gratitude that they just can't bring themselves to do it even if it is warranted.

Think of it like parenting... You love your kids more than life itself and you always see the best in them. But if they say or do something that you don't like or that you think could get them in trouble, you point it out. It doesn't mean you want to take them to an orphanage or that you love then less.

Basically what you are saying is that because RG3 is so awesome and because he has helped save our franchise that he is above any criticism. That's not how I roll

Man, great analogy. Though my son is in a phase of responding to everything we try to "point out" with a "so you don't love me anymore" question. Hopefully Griffin is more self-confident than my 6-year old.

I wonder what would happen if RGIII freaked out on his offensive coordinator like Brady did. Since Brady does all the right things....

I just want to know how many ppl WATCHED the press conference and made a decision on how they feel based on body language AS WELL AS what was said

I think everyone is freakish out over what RGIII said in a joking manner. The only problem is that he is naive and gives the public avd media too much credit.

Most are idiots Rob.

You get 3 rings, 2 MVPs, set all kinds of records and are generally considered amongst the greatest QBs of all time, you can pull stunts like that.  If RG3 gets those kind of credentials, he can get away with it too. Last year notwithstanding, you still don't earn get out of jail free cards in one year.  If Brady pulled that in his early years, it'd have been a whole other ballgame.

I wouldnt say a 'diva' (do not agree with your comparison to him being like TO)  but in reading the beginning of the post yesterday on ESPN about him not liking what Shanny is doing it made me cringe a bit. With that said he did finish the interview and tweeted about him sticking by what the team wants him to do and when the time comes he will bust his butt for the team which is all I care about. 

I don't consider him a "diva." Far from it. He just has a difference of opinion from the coach who is understandably being overly cautious. I don't have a problem AT ALL with a player who wants to do more than what the coach presently wants him to do! We could have the opposite .. like Jay Cutler or Fat Albert Haynesworthless .. who gives up and wants to do as little as possible and sit on his ass!

Good point K ... 

I think that the following is almost indisputable ... and if you see differently, you might be the fan that Kleese is describing. 

Robert said way more than what he had to say and his "I can't BS" comments, while unbeknownst to him, had/have zero redeeming qualities for the team and could have even been seen as disruptive to team chemistry. 

I completely agree with the OP.  I hate media attention.  Shut up and play.

If I were a player I would never give an interview ever.  I'm not saying players should go that far but talking is a distraction even if you are saying all the right things.

(See the 2013 Nationals)

You guys should watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpezWuTDfw

So, I might have a little insight on this as a reporter although not a sports reporter.  When you go to an event, say a scientific convention or a book festival, members of the media go to a public affairs station and they put in their requests for certain people.  Those people are then made time for.  If you want someone more obscure often you can get some one on one time, but if you are shooting for the best seller or nobel winner... usually they'll set up a room with a multi-box so a hundred interviews can happen simultaneously.

Likewise, in football, I'm sure that the media put in their requests and the team has to decide who is available and when.  The team also has to provide players to the media upon request a certain number of times per week.  It's in the contracts.

So, is RGIII talking to the media an act of divahood or practical necessity?  Right now, even though injured he is the face of the Redskins.  Reporters, especially out of towners are going to want to get RGIII because it will make their bosses happy.  Could you imagine Sports Center leading with a segment about Reed Doughty?  Watch and you will see that the main spokesmen for the team are almost always their star players.

So, is the kid a diva?  Is he arrogant?  Has his head inflated to the size where no football helmet will fit him?  Time will tell, but pressers and reporter q and a's aren't the best indicator.

I feel the same way. He is not a diva but all this limelight and adoration can make anyone (I think it would affect me if I was in his shoes) a bit of an egotistic and given he is an honest and outspoken person, tends to say what he thinks without regard.

Some of the fanbase think as long as he is a winner/franchise QB, he can say whatever he likes or we shouldn't question what our QB says. I think none of us want RG3 gone but on the other hand, remind him (softly) that not every thought should be spoken, even the greats of this game have (tried to) guarded their thoughts when speaking to the media.

My concern is this is only his 2nd year as NFL QB, 10 years from now when his accolades have piled up, can he still reign in his inflated head/ego when what he wants is not the same as what the coach/team wants?

I didn't want to start a new thread so I added it to this one.

What is concerning me about Griff is that he made the comment..."I can't BS this one, I am not happy about it...."

I like that he is a competitor, but what his most recent comment tells me is that Shanny has to protect him from himself. Shanny can only do that so much during the season. If Griff takes off running, the competitive part of him will think "I can fake this guy out of his jock" and then take another big hit. I am not so sure that he has learned that he has to get what he can safely and then get down.

I am a big fan and love the leader he has become with the Skins. I just want him to mature a little faster. By that, I mean mature on the field and play smarter and a little less based on physical talent.

Diva?  Look up the meaning. 

A diva is a celebrated female singer; a woman
of outstanding talent in the world of opera, and by extension in
theatre, cinema and popular music.

Diva a ****y woman that must have her way exactly, or no
way at all. often rude and belittles people, believes that everyone is
beneath her

The word; "diva" does not fit RG3.  He is not a woman, He is not an opera singer, He is not ****y, He does not insist on having everything his way or no way at all, he is not rude, he does not belittle others.

Pick another word or phrase - perhaps "he loves being in the spotlight".

Now does he love being in the spotlight or is he just being accommodating to the media?  Does he seek out the media or does the media seek him out?  Did he set up the press conference or did the media request having him meet up for their questions?  I don't know the answer; do you?  If indeed he arranged the press conference then yes I would say he loves being in the spotlight; but if he was accommodating the media requests then the answer is he does not seek the spotlight but he does not dislike and evade the spotlight.  What I do see is he is comfortable with his self and with others.

The media wants to have a press conference with him every day... he only has one a week... and he's not the one who calls it, it's requested by the media and Shanny allows ONE a week.

Gatorade came to him. Adidas came to him.

He doesn't put it out there (except on the field)... I'm guessing he gives a fraction of interviews to the requests he receives... He doesn't party so he obviosuly has more time than the people who choose to plan the next bash or where to go clubbing...

I think it's impressive he had time to do this stuff in between planning for a wedding and rehabbing an ACL... granted it was the offseason, but he's been extremely busy and keeping focused. It's only seasoning him to be able to handle the pressure...

The thing is, there is a piece to this puzzle that is missing, which we may never know about until RGIII is retired, or forever possible.

That is, RGIII's true feelings about the situation from the Seattle game and who he places the blame on for being kept in the game for as long as he was.

Right now it sounds like he is trying to have it both ways, as in he thinks it is Shanny's fault for not keeping him out of that game when he was injured, yet he turns around and demands he be put into preseason games because he personally feels he is healthy and ready.

He can't ask to have it both ways. Also, his Dad likes to throw remarks out there too which don't help matters.

Archived