Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rg3 Is Prima Donna-Ish

truskinsfan18

Like I said previously, some members here have an agenda. They see an opening to attack Robert and are taking advantage of it. As soon as he struggles (and he will;they all do at some point or other) they will be saying  " I told you so, time to get rid of him we have other options at QB" This is so transparent it is actually funny. Just watch...

Like I said previously, some members here have an agenda. They see an opening to attack Robert and are taking advantage of it. As soon as he struggles (and he will;they all do at some point or other) they will be saying " I told you so, time to get rid of him we have other options at QB" This is so transparent it is actually funny. Just watch...

I agree. It is in the nature of fans to react this way. Fans can love a player one day, and the next day turn on him without a second thought. Football season is upon us. While not all of us agree on the media frenzy Griffin has these couple of days regarding him wanting to play in the preseason, we all need to chill. He is smart enough to know what's going on, and he will tone it down until the start of the season. If nothing else this will be a learning experience for him on how to deal with the media. *Sign* football can't come fast enough.

Holy balls... this thread is reminding me why I took a break from ES for the better part of a year.

But you know what?  I kinda saw this coming.  This is part of what Roger Goodell's "No Fun League" has done to the fans - or at least, it's the exact same mentality.

Athletes can't have personalities like normal human beings anymore.  That's not allowed.  Everyone's got to be straight-laced and give pat answers because, just as the athletes' accomplishments on the field of play become larger than life, every word that comes out of their mouths gets blown up to bigger than it really is.  That's the nature of the beast.  I, for one, am glad that RGIII's not self-effacing and that he makes no effort to hide from the spotlight.  Because if he did, Washington, D.C. would be hell on earth for him.  You may be able to get away with hiding from national attention up in Seattle or out in Indy, but it's simply not possible here.  In other words, RGIII might as well embrace the spotlight to some extent, because as long as he's quarterback here in Washington (which I'm hoping is for a good 12, 14 years or so), he's sure as hell not going to be able to get away from it even if he wants to.  Again, nature of the beast.

RGIII can't help being naturally charismatic and marketable.  It's one of the many qualities that he has naturally, a bit like the freakish speed he has for his position.  I think he could operate giving pat answers, just like I think he's got the talent to operate as a pocket passer - but to do either means he won't quite be able to maximize himself.  He just needs to know the risk associated with the gifts he's been given - both on the field and off - and discretion in using them, and that will come with time - and only time.

People will say RGIII's got a bit of an ego.  Maybe he does.  And I say, thank God for it.  A guy that didn't believe on some level that he was a great player would never, and I repeat, never, have been able to handle the expectations heaped on him by the hometown fans in his rookie season.

But while we're on the subject of egos, let's not forget the other side of this coin as far as the current situation goes.  Mike Shanahan has a massive ego and we all know that.  I mean, this is the guy that tried to convince us (to some degree of success, if I remember this board correctly) that the Redskins could win with Rex Grossman or John Beck.  I don't care if he was going out of his way to pump up his guys - it had to take a MASSIVE brass pair to say that in a press conference with a straight face.  Make no mistake about it:  this move to hold RG3 back is as much about his self-preservation than it is about protecting our QB, if not more so.  If Shanahan were to allow RG3 to play in one of the preseason games and he suffered another injury as a result, he wouldn't ever live that down in the media.  If RG3 shows obvious signs of rust in Week 1 and takes a while to get into the swing of things, some people may look at this preseason and say that the ultra-conservative approach took away needed reps.  Let's not forget, RG3 isn't a seasoned vet for whom playing many snaps in preseason is more risk than reward.  He's still a second-year QB in the process of refining his game at this level. 

Lastly on this whole issue of RG3 playing or not - I sort of echo his sentiments.  I kind of understand why Shanahan's doing it, but I don't like it too much.  I get the sense that RG3 needs to get hit once on the field and get up to know he's okay.  As with any knee injury, there's always a chance it can happen again.  The tough part for him - or anyone else recovering from a knee injury - is that it's also mentally traumatizing to some extent.  You don't know if you can take a hit until you actually take a hit.  And I'd like for him to have already answered that question for us and, more importantly, for himself, by the time the season takes off.  The only problem is, in order to check to see if you can take a hit... you have to take a hit.  And there's the rub.  Shanahan doesn't want RG3 to take any hits until the games count.  RG3 feels like he needs to take at least one of those hits - and pop up from it, obviously - just to know that  his knee's not a volatile bomb set to explode at the slightest shock.  I fear he may play a bit tight against Philly if he doesn't have that knowledge before then, resulting in a dip in performance, or worse - another injury. 

But I understand they want to protect him... and speaking of protection, despite what I've said about him playing, even if RGIII had a clean bill of health, there's no way in hell I'd have him out there for an extended period of time right now with Trent hurt.  In fact, I hope they don't overexpose Cousins in games 2 and 3 if we're starting Tom Compton at LT.  You think RG3 being perhaps a bit too forthcoming with the media is a QB problem?  (And if you do, clearly you've only been a fan since 2012...)... that would pale in comparison to the prospect of Rex Grossman being one RG3 knee twinge away from being the Redskins' starter again.

RG3 is a diva because:

1) He tweets. As if other grown ass men like Kobe or Rodgers dont tweet much less a kid fresh out of college. It's the generation we live in. I fail to see how that makes one a "diva."

2) He has weekly press conferences. Nevermind the fact that the team and NFL mandate these. Once that was brought to your attention and ruined your point you are now attacking how long his press confereces are. They shouldn't be 10-15 minutes with thorough answers, they should instead be the much more commonly accepted un-diva like press conference of 2-3 minutes because, well you said so.

3) He has endorsements and magazine covers. I'm sorry please point me to not just an athlete but any person that turns down easy money. lmao. Sorry I guess if you were 23 and got a huge bonus at work you would turn it down because you hadn't paid your dues or won a few Employee of the Year awards first. Guess what, you're a diva.

4) RG3 doesn't run and hide or go Kanye West and break cameras when people approach him with questions. I assume that is what you want him to do because clearly being hospitable and outgoing and honest with the hundreds of people that constantly want to interview him makes him a spotlight seeking attention whore.

He is the most popular player in the NFL. He is becoming the face of the league. I get that you guys aren't used to this from the Redskins but you don't have to try poking holes in flaws that aren't there.

So to sum up, RG3 is a diva because he is a normal 23 year old kid who happens to be immensely popular, good hearted and honest. give me a break.

Andrew Luck is around 23.

How often do we read about his tweets?

Commercials? Press conferences? Rap videos on youtube? GQ Covers?

And he is just as good/popular as RG3. 

He just chooses not to seek attention constantly.

The fact that you think Griffin and Luck are equally as popular is proof that you are clueless. 

I wish the OP would stop bringing up the commercials and stuff because that is detailing the good points he has raised.

I don't care about magazine covers or commercials. That doesn't bother me one bit. But what RG has to realize is that by putting himself on covers, ads, etc he is creating a storm of attention--- that is NOT a bad thing. But with that attention comes more responsibility than for a player that is under the radar. RG has to understand that his words are going to get picked apart.

And he does himself, his coach, and his team ZERO favors by leaving the door of doubt open on some of these issues. The "I'll just have to hope they keep their word" is a stupid thing to say, period. Doesn't matter if there is tension there or not, that quote implies that there is and it keeps the questions coming.

And RG controls the level of which he is "out there." He could create a fatigue or annoyance if his social media stuff is as constant as it is.

It isn't right or wrong--- it's about being smart and calculated with your words and actions.

Cowherd makes a really good point on the Bengals being on Hard Knocks.... An NFL team should only do things that will help them win. Does being on HK increase their chances of winning? No. All it does is potentially weaken them. In the end, it is probably a non-issue either way, but being on the show won't help you. So it's a dumb decision to agree to do it.

And that's the point. Chances are none of this really matters, but RG isn't making things easier for anyone-- including himself.

And again, the notion that a fan can't be critical of someone and still root for them is absurd. We all based Madieau last year--- and I still rooted for him as hard as I could every week. I wanted him to succeed.

I love RG3 AND I think he is erring (not major, but an erring nonetheless) here and he needs to cool it and find a balance.

And we can blame the media all we want, but lets make a few things clear:

--The media awarded him the Heisman

--The media awarded him ROY

--The media features him on shows and stories

I think the media generally likes RG3 and has been fair to him. Will they take a little string of controversy and try to wrap it all over Redskin Park? Sure. Will they push the issue even if something already seems squashed? Sure. Which is exactly why RG needs to be extremely cognizant to not give them anything. Right now, he keeps dangling stuff out there.

The fact that the media voted several awards for Griffin has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they are now pushing their "Griffin vs Shanahan" storyline as hard as they can to generate ratings and hits. 

The fact that people equate not thinking that Robert is doing anything wrong with being afraid to criticize him is ridiculous. My Give an F meter is just calibrated differently than yours is. The nonsense in this thread that people are whining about doesn't register for me.

Good pull Riggo#44.

Prisco HATES the Redskins with a passion. I'm glad to see he put his haterade aside and sticks up for Robert and this whole BS perception that Rob is a diva or a me-first player.

So the OP believes that any athlete on the cover of GQ should automatically be declared a diva. Let's take a look at some of these divas:

Cal Ripken Jr. 2x

Dan Marino 2x

Derek Jeter 3x

Tom Brady 3x

Troy Aikman

Steve Young

Magic Johnson 2x

Howie Long

Mario Lemiuex

Bo Jackson

Ron Darling

Arnold Palmer

Joe Theisman

Isiah Thomas

Michael Jordan 2x

Ozzie Smith

Ken Griffey Jr.

Andre Agassi 2x

Nomar Garciapara

Tim Hardaway

Alonzo Mourning

Evander Holyfield

Marcus Allen

Joe DiMaggio

Carl Lewis

Derrick Rose

Jimmy Johnson (Coach not NASCAR driver)

If that's not a list of me-first divas then I don't know what is.

:rolleyes:

Andrew Luck is around 23.

How often do we read about his tweets?

Commercials? Press conferences? Rap videos on youtube? GQ Covers?

And he is just as good/popular as RG3. 

He just chooses not to seek attention constantly.

Andrew Luck isn't marketable. He's boring, ugly, looks like Butthead when he smiles, and talks like he's got turds in his mouth.

can't blame the OP for creating this thread when sportswriters are starting to say things like this about RG3

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/robert-griffin-III-mike-shanahan-kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-081213

Griffin needs to talk less publicly and deal with Shanahan privately.
Griffin also needs to overcome his fear of Cousins, who was selected in
the fourth round of the same draft as Griffin. Redskins owner Daniel
Snyder is not going to let his high-priced, meter-moving QB sit just
because Cousins looks good in the preseason.

During last season’s playoffs, Griffin stayed on the field long after
it was obvious his knee injury made him completely ineffective. I wrote a column
at the time stating Griffin demanded to stay in the game because of
arrogance. I should’ve pointed to arrogance, insecurity and selfishness.

He wanted the glory of leading the Redskins to victory, and he wanted
to deny Cousins a role in it. Griffin’s foolishness cost Washington the
game, a contest it led 14-0.

I’m not the only one who knows this. Mike Shanahan knows. Trust me,
Griffin’s teammates know. Griffin’s attempt to play hero cost the
Redskins a playoff victory over the Seahawks.
He should’ve been benched at halftime. Shanahan couldn’t do it because
his mouthy, leverage-having quarterback would’ve complained to the
media.

Your'e telling people that you let the media do your thinking for you.

They are asking the questions that they feel will generate the most

controversy so they'll have something to talk about on their radio show

or write about in their article. You're being led on a leash.

Hit the nail on the head.

The entire OP is a judgement and bash on a personality trait, and has no endgame in a forum other than to diminish ones character, and/or troll.

Let's stop feeding the troll people.

Read the OP.  Diminish his character?  I named 5 positive character traits of him.  One negative. 

People really need to learn to read and not skim things. 

I say one negative thing about him, and now I'm diminishing his character?

The topic title is literally an insult.  I dont care if you listed 138124 things that were positive.  That makes my point even more true.

The fact that you're discussing ONE negative, which is out of sheer judgement and speculation, and has no application to on-field football, is just trolling on a football forum.

Ah dangit More trolling... LOL

Ok, I let it go a few times :ph34r: , but fyi on ES for all the new people we're getting (WeBB's not new, and good to see ya posting again) be sure and read our rules. On ES, only moderators determine who/what is a troll. A member continuing to call troll on a poster on his own as some sort of "rebuttal" is subject to being charged with a rule 5 (or 12) violation. If you think you see a troll, report it. Period. Not reporting it as a rule violation and unilaterally calling it out (repeatedly) in a thread is a no-go.  :)

Others things going on in the thread more than needed, and that can get people temporary time outs, are "mind-reading" of "motives" and assigning them to a poster (when you can't back them up with their posted comments' history as support) and making characterizations of the poster's overall personality instead of staying focused on the specific point(s) under discussion.

Now. Kill.  :D

Like I said previously, some members here have an agenda. They see an opening to attack Robert and are taking advantage of it. As soon as he struggles (and he will;they all do at some point or other) they will be saying  " I told you so, time to get rid of him we have other options at QB" This is so transparent it is actually funny. Just watch...

(added---this is all meant in general, not "aimed" at Gambler though I use his post)

Everyone here "has an agenda", and more than one. The word is often used on a board like this in a misleadingly and conversation-derailing manner as a synonym for disagreeable "opinions" or "views", basically. If you have a firm opinion on "x" (as many internet posters do) and present it consistently it becomes an "agenda" to other inter-netters who disagree. "Agenda" seems to get used to imply some sort of "extra-nefarious angle", or even outright demented commitment, to their "disagreeable views." ;)

To paraphrase a great man, "I do not think that word means what you think it means."  :lol:

An agenda is simply a list of things under consideration or actions needing to be taken. Now no ordinary (though I know you're all special :mellow:  :P) poster here is going to "do" anything to affect change (though we give the appearance we think we can sometimes lol).

On the other paw, if one uses the word "bias" in similar circumstances and applies it competently (especially if you do something craaaaazy and actually show examples of that bias using your "opponent's" actual words in a post via quotes), you not only are on solid ground rules-wise, but you are attempting to make the point correctly at a high-school literacy level. :P

Words I would use to describe someone with the exact mindset Gambler laid out (read the quoted post) is "troll" or a "needs to get a life whackjob".  :lol:

I doubt the number of posters with such a wildly twisted "agenda" as Gambler suggests exceeds a dozen (to pick a generous number), out of thousands. So really thinking that's some sort of factor (the "we want Robert to fail" deal) among actual Redskins fans that counts for anything is a reach to me. Now maybe Gambler was thinking that the OP is one of the occasional rival fans who will come by and troll here as a Redskins fans over the years. Hard for me to imagine Redskins fans wanting or liking to see Robert have issues.

While many of his posts following his OP are more full of failed arguments than credible ones in my view, he's also posted plenty of positives about RG3 and keeps pointing that out. He also has a posting history anyone can check. None of the words he's typed in the thread have been any cause of concern rules-wise in any way.

There are also many loyal and football-intelligent ES'ers who have had varying degrees of such concerns, as has been long noted and witnessed once again in this very thread. Concerns of RG3's behaviors (and Mike's) are not the exclusive realm of clueless haters, nor are they limited to some small faction of the fanbase. There is room for reasonable apprehensions over some of his interactions with media (Mike's are well-known lol). And there is plenty of room to give RG3 a solid benefit of the doubt given the nature of the media turf, where he's at as a young man, and what he's done overall to date.

As I said, the OP strategically over-reached here from a public acceptance level when he used the word "diva" if he wanted to have a more open-minded reception, and the wording of the thread title exacerbated it, but that's not a rules/condcut matter. Personally I would have gone with "Is RG3 Going Diva-ish" or something if I was gonna do it (which I would have no reason to as I'm not really worried lol). 

can't blame the OP for creating this thread when sportswriters are starting to say things like this about RG3

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/robert-griffin-III-mike-shanahan-kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-081213

it was obvious his knee injury made him completely ineffective. I wrote a column

media.

FYI -- quoting Jason Whitlock is akin to trolling. He is a race-bating hack. Nothing more.

Did people not see Griffin smile and laugh most of the way through that question? I think the most important question is "I know the whole plan, I am not sharing the whole plan." You know what that means, you 2-bit hacks like Reid, Whitlock, Dukes (Chad and Jamie), Arrington and the rest? Means you don't know the plan either--means you're making **** up to start a controversy where there isn't one.

Newsflash: Every QB and every HC and every OC have had animated arguments and disagreements. Every. Single. One. If not, I would NOT want that HC or that QB or that OC.

Yeah, I get why people may feel a tad uncomfortable with the RGIII Mania right now, but in this case, the reasoning behind it all, is quite frankly absurd.

Always interesting to me to hear the views on RG3 from intelligent fans of other teams. Just in my offline circles, I'd summarize that among such types i talk to, the RG3 impression is still vastly positive (even in Puget Sound), but there has been a steady growth of thinking he may have some prima donna tendencies starting to appear or increase (depending). So we talk about "the media" distorting and the pressures etc etc. just like here, but the result is more of a "yeah, he's still a great guy, but there's some stuff there..."  

Everyone has "some stuff there", most of us a helluva lot. So I hope we will not ever let any notion that RG3 should be or will be without flaw fo-evah take serious root. Sacrilege?  :D

Much of our/ES "inside" view reminds me of the "echo-chamber" they talk about in other biased thinking these days, particularly regarding our QB. We all love the guy so much, were so truly blown away by his actual ability (i.e. I noticed that when I and Oldfan both stated we think he's simply the best potential player at QB we have seen in our life so far--that's really a big comment for each of us), plus he comes after so many years of frustration and starvation for success (and respect), especially at that most prized of positions.

It's hard not to just echo our heady optimism in a myriad of ways (and don't mistake what i'm saying for there not being puh-lenty of valid reason IMO to feel optimistic). Now, on the little more "grounded side", I will admit that I feel like we will have a team of Lombardi-competitive caliber this season while also admitting that 80% of our roster is made from relatively unheralded players.  :lol:

Yeah, I get why people may feel a tad uncomfortable with the RGIII Mania right now, but in this case, the reasoning behind it all, is quite frankly absurd.

Always interesting to me to hear the views on RG3 from intelligent fans of other teams. :lol:

I don't know if I qualify for the intelligent part.. but I am a fan of another team.  As a football fan (although not as much as when I was younger), I enjoy watching Griffin.  Incredibly athletic, dynamic player on the field with ridiculous throwing abilities.  I do however tend to feel he is passive-aggressive at times in his comments, and at best needs to learn how to deal with the media, or at worst has thrown darts at MS & others.  MS is also at fault as he really needs to muzzle his players and teach the art of blah replies.

The more i think about it, the more i feel this whole Shann Vs RGIII is a some sort of smoke screen. Behind the closed door type stuff. 

This is a HUGE time for KC.........IMHO there is 0% chance we keep him. From what i have read, 10 teams or so could use him now. 

So by putting RGIII on the bench pre-season, you get the chance to showcase KC to the whole league in a STARTING TYPE roll. 

You also get a few extra weeks healing for RGIII............. win win 

Now the only question i have is, did it piss off RGIII knowing this, or is he okay with it? Portis never wanted to play pre-season, most vets want to do away with it, but this young QB wants to play like its a reg. season game???? Not adding up to me.

They keep talking about the "PLAN" That is what this is all about, and behind closed doors, i feel they are on the same page. 

Hell, another way out possible option:

RGIII is taking a step back in pre-season to allow KC to showcase for the NFL.....If this is true, he's not going to ever act like he doesn't want to play. Think that is way too far out? Did he not bring scouts to Baylor to give his teammates a shot at the NFL? I

Bold prediction time: 

Don't be shocked if KC is traded this year. If he has another very good pre-season game! 

1st and a 3rd........and a player 

media.

Sorry, but this is BS.  No real football player, unless gets pulled by the coach *zinger*, will voluntarily take himself out of a game unless he can't physically perform.  Remember how much flake Jay Cutler got from the media when he sprained his ACL 2 years ago and didn't play in the 2nd half?  Mike Ditka, MJD and other players tweeted they wouldn't have never take themselves out of the game if they were Cutler.  The fans and media will have it both ways.  Suppose Griffin took himself out of the game, we lost to Seattle.  Media and fans goes ham on him because he isn't "tough" enough.  Suppose he stayed in the game and got hurt.  Well..you know the rest.

Archived