Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL cutting down on TD celebrations - specifically names "home run swings", like Alfred Morris

Chadwiko

From Yahoo Sports 

As PFT notes, a variety of celebratory acts are no longer permissible and will result in a penalty: “These acts include but are not limited to: sack dances; home run swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointing the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standing over an opponent (prolonged and with provocation; or dancing.” In other words: ANY KIND OF DEMONSTRATION OF ANYTHING RESEMBLING A HUMAN EMOTION. Somebody needs to loop all of these together in one single monstrous celebration. It'd be worth the 15 yards, easy.

This is such a shame; the story behind Alfred Morris and his 'home run swing' TD celebration was a great one, and just helped to show us more of what a special individual he was.

I don't know, maybe because i'm Australian I don't "get it", but why on earth would the NFL want to limit their superstar athletes showing any form of emotion/individuality? Seems counter-productive to growing the brand and growing the fan base.

If a celebration is unsportsmanlike, then I have no problems with penalty flags being thrown. But c'mon; a home-run swing and a salute potentially drawing a flag now? No Fun League.

(checked to make sure there wasn't a thread about this already. Always dread the threat of NNT'd here :))

Just when the 'Skins start scoring TDs.....right?

Did the NFL say why, exactly?

I sort of understand trying to cut down on all the excessive celebrating that takes place after a simple catch or a 2 yard gain, standard tackle etc etc.....but after a TD the "homerun swing" is considered excessive? WTF?

I guess I kindof understood when they eliminated the group celebration thing, but this seems a little bit ridiculous.

I'm all in favor of the guy just handing the ball to the ref, but honestly, what's the harm in a salute, a home run swing, spiking the ball, etc? It takes all of 2 seconds, and doesn't rub anything in anybody's face.

I do understand the antics between plays but i do feel they should allow any celebration for TDs as long as it is not directed at the opponent. 

Agreed.

Some of the 'between plays' celebrating did need to be curtailed. Some of it was stupid and for such petty things.

A RB runs 4 yards and he gets up and celebrates like he scored the Super Bowl-winning TD.

A LB tackles a guy after a 3 yard gain and he dances around in a circle for 5 seconds like he just got the game-winning sack. :rolleyes:

However, stopping guys from having a quick celebration after a TRULY big play or a TD is just going too far. :rolleyes:

Some guys on reddit are saying that these penalties will only be enforced if the celebration is directed towards an opponent. Lets hope that's true.

What about on an opponents field? Wouldn't that be like taunting the fans? This is really a tongue in cheek comment, but i am sure it is part of the reasoning.

I do understand the antics between plays but i do feel they should allow any celebration for TDs as long as it is not directed at the opponent. 

Recall once, way back when John Madden used to say things that were actually worth listening to, in the broadcast booth.  They were showing a pic of some coach screaming at the ref (who was ignoring him.) 

Madden:  Y'know, that's one thing I like about the rules in the NFL.  In the NFL, the coach can say anything he wants.  Do anything he wants.  Shout at the top of his lungs.  As long as he stays on his side of that white line. 

I think I'd like that to be the rule for TD celebrations, too.  Do whatever you want.  But, you've got 20 seconds (or whatever it is) to get your hiney off the field, for the PAT. 

Archived