Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL cutting down on TD celebrations - specifically names "home run swings", like Alfred Morris

Chadwiko

If they're specifically going after HR swings maybe Morris should feint a bunt (the old "butcher boy" play) after a TD. How funny would that be?...if a ref threw a flag Shannahan could go out and argue in an Earl Weaver or Billy Martin-type of manner and tell the guy that he was bunting, not swinging for the fences! (That said, I still see no problem with high-fiving your teammates, handing the ball to the ref, and walking to the bench after a TD.)

Next move is to ban "Hail to the Redskins" as it is hurts the feelings of opponents. After that, any fan sound louder than a golf clap will result in a 15 yard penalty.

Why should fan emotions be allowed. After all the 12th man's goal is to try to intimidate and generate delays of game.

I don't mind trying to change the culture of celebration after every single play, and I don't buy into the notion of "expressing yourself" by doing BS stuff like the "Dougie", but isn't spiking the ball a long standing tradition?  Doesn't seem like that would be lumped into excessive celebration.

Next move is to ban "Hail to the Redskins" as it is hurts the feelings of opponents. After that, any fan sound louder than a golf clap will result in a 15 yard penalty.

Why should fan emotions be allowed. After all the 12th man's goal is to try to intimidate and generate delays of game.

If I recall there were a few teams that have actually complained about crowd noise at FedEx Field. There used to be a clause in the rules that allowed for the home team to be assessed a five-yard penalty if the ref felt that the crowd noise was excessive. Remember in 1986 against the Lions when their QB complained to the ref that he couldn't hear and the ref asked Coach Gibbs to call for quiet? As much as I love Coach Gibbs and I recognize that he's a sportsman, I would have told the ref to stuff it had I been the coach and that had been asked of me.

Just ridiculous!

I understand the "taunting" or "showmanship" after first downs etc.  But the TD celebration has been going on for a long time, it's a tradition.  If it;s not over done, you can't possibly eliminate it.  It's good for the game, it's great for the fans, it's good for NFL films.  If you don't wanna see a sinple baseball swing or salute, stop him from getting into the endzone.  Simple as that!

The same could be said in baseball regarding home runs though; if you don't want him to stand and watch his shot fly out of the park, strike him out. Not all TD dances are over the line, but I think we all know what's over the line when we see it. That's why I just say hand the ball to the ref and walk away, because there's a 0% chance that will get you in trouble.

Godfather,

I think I disagree a bit. Here's why. I remember being in the stands last year during the Vilings game. When RGIII broke contain and sprinted towards the end zone I surged out of my seat and screamed. I think a few others did too.

Now, this wasn't the first big play I've seen, it wasn't the biggest play I've ever seen, and it wasn't even the most important play I witnessed live. Still, I stood, roared, and jumped. Now, the decisision to high five everyone around me was a choice.

Likewise, a player who scores has the right to that instantaneous surge of emotion. They even deserve the right to high five, swing a bat, or spike a ball.

They're honest responses to the game that do not subtract from it. I don't love showboating, but I'm all for a fist pump. That's all spinning a ball or swinging a bat is.

I guess I'm a grumpy old man... But this is not a big deal to me. I'm so amped after a TD I could care less what happens after!

Also, the lack of celebrations does make the college game any less attractive does it?

Apparently, now the players are no longer allowed to feel amped.

I don't mind celebrations after a td but after every play is ridiculous. The dummies celebrate a first down catch and they are behind buy 21 points

Imagine a pitcher in baseball celebrating every time he has a strike out , or a catcher celebrating when he throw out a runner. Hockey goalies  could celebrate if they block a shot. I hate it when they do something after making a first down, its a first down its no big deal and if it is the last few minutes and you are behind then stop wasting the clock and get back to the huddle. How many times have they started celebrating before they even cross the end zone like Desean did a few years back and spiked the ball before he crossed the line

They can do that list after a a TD, when TO and Johnson started there stuff it was way over board and out of line. Its ok to show emotion but trying to put on a show is just BS in my book. I paid to watch football not some cheap vaudeville act

That I kind of agree with. Celebrate the td, the pick or the fumble. There are a few other times that make sense. Like that big third or fourth down stop that seals the game.

But celebrating when you are losing or just have up a first down is dumb.

I don't see it as a problem with Morris. He'll just stop doing it after the first time he's penalized if he ever does.

The Garcon ball spin would be a concern because even if he's not trying to direct it at someone, sometimes an opposing player will just be walking by as he's doing it and dumbass NFL refs will penalize him.

Godfather,

I think I disagree a bit. Here's why. I remember being in the stands last year during the Vilings game. When RGIII broke contain and sprinted towards the end zone I surged out of my seat and screamed. I think a few others did too.

Now, this wasn't the first big play I've seen, it wasn't the biggest play I've ever seen, and it wasn't even the most important play I witnessed live. Still, I stood, roared, and jumped. Now, the decisision to high five everyone around me was a choice.

Likewise, a player who scores has the right to that instantaneous surge of emotion. They even deserve the right to high five, swing a bat, or spike a ball.

They're honest responses to the game that do not subtract from it. I don't love showboating, but I'm all for a fist pump. That's all spinning a ball or swinging a bat is.

There's a difference between a fan doing that and someone on the field. All I'm saying is that there's a fine line between celebrating and showboating, and I'd just as soon as rather see players abstain from all of that pointless emotion than allow one of his actions be misinterpreted.

this is BS and about 90% of the reaction is negative.  the only people who seem in favor of this are self-admitted grumpy, crusty curmudgeons.  horrible and depressing.  just a bummer.

If you want to call me a curmudeon, so be it. There are plenty of people who would agree with you. But keep in mind that football is these guys' jobs. I don't high-five and fist bump people at my office when something goes right. I guess my point is that if you're a professional football player I expect you to behave like a professional.

Archived