Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL cutting down on TD celebrations - specifically names "home run swings", like Alfred Morris

Chadwiko

Does anyone else ever wonder if DeMaurice Smith actually has a job, or if he just signs every piece of paper that crosses his desk in between mock drafts on Yahoo! Sports and playing pocket pool?

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything he can do in this scenario. If they were fining players for taunts I think he would have a case then.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought football was a game and people were supposed to have fun when playing games.

You're not merely "wrong." Your comments violate Section 2 of the No Fun League statutes. Games are for commerce. Behaviors that distract from the people's happy pursuit of consumerism are properly rationed via the Rules Committee.

Now, you will need to report for a Mandatory Perceptual Alignment at your nearest Citizen Reclamation Center. Compliance is not optional. 

if i was a redskins player, after a TD i would still do my celebration. screw it, if the refs wanna penalize me, fine. i just got 6 points, 15 yards added on to the kickoff doesnt scare me. besides, the defense should be able to stop the opposing team no matter what place on the field they start at.

Really? Doesn't work well with the "team" concept.

The Rook

Does anyone else ever wonder if DeMaurice Smith actually has a job, or if he just signs every piece of paper that crosses his desk in between mock drafts on Yahoo! Sports and playing pocket pool?

It's like watching Barney Fife trying to be Dirty Harry.

"pointing" - does this include a player signaling a first down?  Or how about a player pointing up to the heavens on a TD?  Is pointing at a teammate OK or is that banned also?  Does it matter what finger is used or what direction?  How about a thumbs up?

What about players on the sidelines are they included in the no celebration purge?  Coaches? Cheerleaders?  Fans?  Who is included in the ban?

"dancing" - what is banned and what is OK?  Is jumping up a dance?  We know a group jump is banned; what about two (we see that a lot), and if two is banned then what about one (as in putting the ball over the goal post)?

What is allowed and what will be penalized?  Do the refs and players know what is and what is not?  If the entire team were to applaud, yell "Redskins" (or "Touchdown") would that be a penalty?  Who know what the "law" is.

I guess the reason behind all this is that it seen as poor sportsmanship.  In my view any and all TD celebrations are NOT poor sportsmanship and should not be penalized.

I understood not getting probs involved, and even to some extent the limitations on multiple-player celebrations. But military salutes? POINTING?!?

Every kick off will start at the 50 yard line. LIterally, everyone. Even the one at the beginning of the game, because the home team will get penalized for waving their arms intentionally.

Shouldn't the biggest fear be that like most every other new implimented rule, there is a lot of doubt about it being assessed equally and fairly?  It's adding more "judgement" into the game as opposed to things that are cut and dry.  How long is it going to be until the officials penalize one player/team for something yet stand idily by when the opponent does the same thing?  Remember last season when Garcon was flagged for spinning the ball, even though that is something multiple players on every team do after routine catches?  The officials have a hard enough job getting the black & white stuff down, and now you are once again adding a new layer of gray area where they have to act as being inside the mind of a player celebrating to determine if they "directed something at the opposing player"

This is very different from the rule implimented a few seasons ago that banned a player from standing over a player on the field and taunting them.  That was very cut and dry, no way it can be misunderstood, but this new rule is just asking for a can of worms to be popped open.

It's like watching Barney Fife trying to be Dirty Harry.

I got a very absurd image of Barney fife grinding his foot into the psycho's bullet wound in the middle of Candlestick Park.

does it hurt, punk?

995462_622114864476559_715233634_n.jpg

tHIS HERE'S A 44 MAGNUM.. AND THIS HERE BULLET IN MY POCKET WILL TAKE A MAN'S HEAD CLEAN OFF

~Bang

Spiking the ball? That is as old as the NFL itself. I don't know it's been said, but anything that is done within the flow of the play is fine by me. What I don't like is the drawing attention to oneself (i.e. shooing teammates away). 10 other guys helped allow you to score and they deserve to celebrate with you. The Spike, the homerun swing, and spinning the ball on its point like a top do not take away from the play.

Checked the NFL website and other sites.  There's no such rule.  The rule is designed to cut down on taunting or other unsportsmanlike behavior.  Spinning the ball at an opponent or standing over and opponent is considered taunting.  

Do you think the NFL will do away with the lambeau leap?

Or Alfie's homerun swing?  Or the other celebrations that are not meant to taunt an opponent? 

I understood not getting probs involved, and even to some extent the limitations on multiple-player celebrations. But military salutes? POINTING?!?

Every kick off will start at the 50 yard line. LIterally, everyone. Even the one at the beginning of the game, because the home team will get penalized for waving their arms intentionally.

Ironically, that's what the NFL wants...to limit KO returns.

This article is extremely misleading.  Those touchdown celebrations are ONLY intended to be penalized if DIRECTED AT an opposing player.  Albert Morris' home run celebration is perfectly fine as long as he isnt doing it blatantly towards an opposing player.

The one thing they might address is ball spinning.  I dont know why, but the NFL has a problem with this now.

I do understand the antics between plays but i do feel they should allow any celebration for TDs as long as it is not directed at the opponent.

Recall once, way back when John Madden used to say things that were actually worth listening to, in the broadcast booth. They were showing a pic of some coach screaming at the ref (who was ignoring him.)

Madden: Y'know, that's one thing I like about the rules in the NFL. In the NFL, the coach can say anything he wants. Do anything he wants. Shout at the top of his lungs. As long as he stays on his side of that white line.

I think I'd like that to be the rule for TD celebrations, too. Do whatever you want. But, you've got 20 seconds (or whatever it is) to get your hiney off the field, for the PAT.

I've always said, let them do anything they want after a TD, but the referee should get the ball, place it for the PAT and start the play clock. If the idiots take too long to celebrate and the clock runs out, 5 yard penalty. They'll learn to celebrate quicker.

I don't mind celebrations after a td but after every play is ridiculous. The dummies celebrate a first down catch and they are behind buy 21 points

Imagine a pitcher in baseball celebrating every time he has a strike out , or a catcher celebrating when he throw out a runner. Hockey goalies  could celebrate if they block a shot. I hate it when they do something after making a first down, its a first down its no big deal and if it is the last few minutes and you are behind then stop wasting the clock and get back to the huddle. How many times have they started celebrating before they even cross the end zone like Desean did a few years back and spiked the ball before he crossed the line

They can do that list after a a TD, when TO and Johnson started there stuff it was way over board and out of line. Its ok to show emotion but trying to put on a show is just BS in my book. I paid to watch football not some cheap vaudeville act

In all fairness, you've prob never watched Jose Lima; he was a walking celebration, and a cool dude, RIP...

Personally I think "act like you've been here before" is good advice for most situations and I really liked John Riggins approach after a TD - flip the ball to the umpire and jog off to get oxygen! That said I am now officially a grumpy middle aged guy and my views are probably not mainstream on this and I do think that players should be able to express their emotion and excitement on the field.

Banning elaborate, pre prepared group celebrations is right - banning a simple celebration like a home run swing is probably going too far. I also don't buy the argument that end zone celebrations insight defensive players to retaliate - if you don't want someone celebrating in your end zone don't let them get in there in the first place!

I never understood banning things like the fun bunch. It was a "team" celebration unlike the selfish "look at me" celebrations you see now. What is the difference in the fun bunch as opposed to the team meeting in the end one and jumping up and bumping each other, other than its corriagraphed? So what? To me team celebrations are not taunting, but more of an accomplishment.

it's extreeeeeeemely unfortunate that the greedy NFL owners are so spitefully greedy that they would harm the entertainment value of their own game in order to limit the potential earnings of individual players.

that's all this is folks.  there's no other rhyme or reason.  it comes down simply to the fact that the NFL doesn't want it's players to even glean an opportunity for self promotion or individual monetary success.  they want the monetary success of an NFL player to rely solely upon their coffers.

it's the antithesis of the NBA where Jordan started the individual icon movement & it's blown up to epicly annoying proportions to where guys like (annoying for owners who are now second-fiddle to the money-making potential of players like) LeBron practically dictate the competition in the NBA because of their star-power.

the NFL is & has been pro-actively seeking to destroy any potential outside revenue stream that is based on a player's on-field marketing ploys.  we saw it especially with Ochocinco & T.O. where anything they could come up with, the NFL intently aimed to destroy.  the NFL owners have a deep-seeded belief that a player should not want, nor be able to market or self-promote while playing in an NFL game. 

there's no other reason folks.  it makes no sense.  for all the people who gripe & moan about "incessant celebration" that number is quadrupled by fans...casual or otherwise...who watch the game simply for that EXACT type of entertainment value.

it is rather disheartening still to see that the NFL has expanded its vendetta for things so innoccuous as swinging a faux-baseball bat.  next they'll get rid of the Lambeau Leap, & the Mile-High Salute?

this is ridiculous.......sometimes NFL...i really hate you. 

it's times like these that help me realize why it was so easy to fall in love with soccer......they make no such qualms about player celebration & their celebrations are treasured & enjoyed thoroughly by the fans around the world......& i don't think soccer's popularity or integrity has suffered for it either.

Archived