Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL cutting down on TD celebrations - specifically names "home run swings", like Alfred Morris

Chadwiko

"Only if it is directed at an opponent"  Opens up a major gray are though.

A lot of times when Garcon spins the ball after the play, he is not looking at the player or spinning it at them, but they might happen to be walking by him.  From now on that suddenly becomes a judgement call to the refs whether or not he was doing it at the player.

Or say when Morris does the homerun swing....it is perfectly reasonable to think a dejected defender might be walking by him after the play....will he have to look around first and make sure the area is clear?

I just don't trust the officials when it comes to making these type of judgement calls in the heat of the battle.  You already know it is a forgone conclusion that some players will get flagged for this during the game, and then the opposing team players will do seemingly the same exact thing and not get flagged and it's all going to be because what the official PERCEIVED was going on inside the head of the player.

I swear if I was a player I would be a smartellick and drop the ball and walk to the sidelines. I'd look so uninteresting when I did it too.

They really are messing up football so bad. I'm in a never ending debate with my cousin about which is tougher, football or hockey. Stuff like this makes me embarrassed to argue for football.

if i was a redskins player, after a TD i would still do my celebration. screw it, if the refs wanna penalize me, fine. i just got 6 points, 15 yards added on to the kickoff doesnt scare me. besides, the defense should be able to stop the opposing team no matter what place on the field they start at.

I wonder what would happen if someone made their "celebration" the acting of standing perfectly still, like a statue.  Eventually would people take notice so much that they would have to add that to the list of banned acts, too.

The NFL is probably expecting the Redskins to be the top offensive team this year, so it's only natural for them to begin their hate campaign.

But, gotta admit, it would be funny as hec to see the Skins score a TD,  then slowly walk off the field as if their dog got run over by a car, with their heads hung low, dragging their feet, totally emotionless.  The refs wouldn't know what to do !

Wow.. the owners really know how to mess up a good thing don't they?  They jack up prices to the point where a family can't afford to attend games regularly, restrict EVERYTHING you can bring into the stadium right down to a seat cushion (which they used to actually give away at games - '91 playoff game vs. Atlanta anybody?), they make rules that are almost impossible to consistently enforce on the field and now they are removing fun elements that many fans actually want to see from the game.. and they wonder why game day attendance is down??

PC police are out in force in the NFL. Everyone must be treated as equals and no ones feelings must be hurt. If the NFL players taunt eachother then the peewee football players will do it. And that is bullying and bullying is bad and leads to terrorism we must protect the children!

~NFL reasoning.

Sarcasm btw if you can't tell I think its a joke

Wow ... this take the words out of mi tongue and fingers.

So, work for weeks and weeks, and reaching the ultimate goal, a TD with my team mates and we cannot express emotions??????
WTF?? LOL

They're killing this game.

In soccer, you can't scream or dance if you score a goal.
In hockey you can't raise your arms and scream.
In baseball you can't throw a fist to the air if you throw a perfect game..
Noo, this only happens in this league.

This jokers are trying to convert this players in robots, with no emotions, no passion and of course, no respect for the opponent (head or knees hits), because in the end, on the field they're robots, no human beings.

Personally I think "act like you've been here before" is good advice for most situations and I really liked John Riggins approach after a TD - flip the ball to the umpire and jog off to get oxygen! That said I am now officially a grumpy middle aged guy and my views are probably not mainstream on this and I do think that players should be able to express their emotion and excitement on the field.

Banning elaborate, pre prepared group celebrations is right - banning a simple celebration like a home run swing is probably going too far. I also don't buy the argument that end zone celebrations insight defensive players to retaliate - if you don't want someone celebrating in your end zone don't let them get in there in the first place!

Good old Danny boy should set up an account & stock it with a few Mil. just so when Morris, RG3, Garcon & co. get fined for their celebrations the $$$ will already be there. Then again Goodell & Mara would find a way to steal that from us like they do everything else. HTTR!!!

Just picture this after a touchdown

That's OK as well. Not flashy but very Barry Sanders like.

HTTR!!!

Archived